UCONN drops to 6th on coaches poll | The Boneyard

UCONN drops to 6th on coaches poll

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Fair IMHO - takes the Oregon spanking into account...

AP and Coaches Polls

The link is for both polls but below is coaches poll after Monday's games...

1. Baylor
2. SC
3. Oregon
4. Louisville
5. Stanford
6. UCONN
7. NC State
8. MIssissippi State
9. Oregon State
10. UCLA

Reaction Score
Tell ya what. LVille is not number 4.
Wait, what happened when they played Oregon? My only real problem with poll is that Oregon should be No. 1. We played Baylor even for 35 minutes, Oregon ripped us. I think UConn may be better than Stanford. It took a defensive break down by Colorado in the last 1.9 seconds for Stanford to salvage a win on their home court. Oregon obliterated Colorado twice.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
When was the last time UCONN was out of the top 5?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have no problem with UConn dropping out of the top 5.

I also don't have a problem with Louisville at #4. Unlike UConn, Louisville actually played their best against Oregon and beat them on a neutral court. UConn was virtually never in the game on what's supposed to be the toughest home court in the country.

A season is largely defined by (a) performance in big games and (b) consistency. One could argue that UConn has passed the consistency test so far because they haven't lost to anyone but Baylor and Oregon. But they sure haven't done well in the big games, and the eye test is not kind to them either.

Tell ya what, let's start a whole separate thread about all the records and firsts and "last time UConn [enter negative statistic]" that are getting set/broken this year.

Reaction Score
Wait, what happened when they played Oregon? My only real problem with poll is that Oregon should be No. 1. We played Baylor even for 35 minutes, Oregon ripped us. I think UConn may be better than Stanford. It took a defensive break down by Colorado in the last 1.9 seconds for Stanford to salvage a win on their home court. Oregon obliterated Colorado twice.
Crushing Colorado should not be a leading metric of where a team belongs in the Top 10. I concur that Colorado should have closed out Stanford. But, the fact is that Stanford rallied to win. Colorado seemed to quit this past Friday as Oregon State blew them out in Boulder. Colorado just doesn't match up well at all with Oregon, so those two blowouts don't surprise me.

Having seen Stanford and UConn play a number of times this season, I think that Stanford would be a difficult test for UConn to overcome given the Huskies' limited depth. Stanford has a very high ceiling this season as its sophs and frosh continue to improve.

Reaction Score
UConn will lose big against South Carolina as they will setup the Zone against us with Boston stopping any drives. Dawn will run up the score.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I have no problem with UConn dropping out of the top 5.

I also don't have a problem with Louisville at #4. Unlike UConn, Louisville actually played their best against Oregon and beat them on a neutral court. UConn was virtually never in the game on what's supposed to be the toughest home court in the country.

A season is largely defined by (a) performance in big games and (b) consistency. One could argue that UConn has passed the consistency test so far because they haven't lost to anyone but Baylor and Oregon. But they sure haven't done well in the big games, and the eye test is not kind to them either.

Tell ya what, let's start a whole separate thread about all the records and firsts and "last time UConn [enter negative statistic]" that are getting set/broken this year.

Not trying to flame, it's a valid question. The top 5 streak you all have had is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
UConn will lose big against South Carolina as they will setup the Zone against us with Boston stopping any drives. Dawn will run up the score.

SC has not played a zone yet this year, would surprise me. They should though.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not trying to flame, it's a valid question. The top 5 streak you all have had is ridiculous.
Sorry, I know you weren't. Just making the point that the ending of streaks has become very trite at this point.

In the AP poll, last time was January 29, 2007. No idea about the coaches' poll.

Reaction Score
UConn was preseason #5 AP, #4 coaches poll.
We were #6 at one point this season on one of the polls.

EDIT: I just went back and looked on ESPN, and we were never below #5 this season, though I could have sworn one of the early polls had us at 6 and then we quickly moved up to 4.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
We were #6 at one point this season on one of the polls.
Mmm, not according to what I'm seeing/remembering.

1580853141082.png

Reaction Score

From the thread you created on 11 Jan 2020 entitled "Next Week's Poll" I answered for AP Poll.

Since their first championship in 1994-95 UConn has had only 3 seasons (2004-05 to 2006-07) where they have ever been outside the AP Top 6. (refer my related post)

Their last week outside the AP Top 5 was Week 13 in 2006-07 season. For some context Baylor are the defending National Champs and were at No. 6 this week (source).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe UConn will lose big but I don't think Dawn will run up the score. Also, Geno usually has something new for SC that they struggle with. This thing about not having height. The Swin Cash teams did not have tall players and Gabby and Nurse had only Samuelson at 6'3" and beat Baylor, Florida State, and never lost to SC with all their big players.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is an definite answer for ranking UConn, even if we lose to SC, while at home, those loses will have come against the Top 3 ranked teams.

I like our chances against everyone else, so a ranking somewhere between 4 and 6 seems right.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Fair IMHO - takes the Oregon spanking into account...

AP and Coaches Polls

The link is for both polls but below is coaches poll after Monday's games...

1. Baylor
2. SC
3. Oregon
4. Louisville
5. Stanford
6. UCONN
7. NC State
8. MIssissippi State
9. Oregon State
10. UCLA

For now, this is a lot closer to reality. UConn was getting too much credit just for being UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom