UCONN drops to 6th on coaches poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN drops to 6th on coaches poll

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The real question is whether Connecticut falls outside of the top 5 in next weeks BY Poll. I suspect not.
Actually, UConn's spot in the BY poll has tracked very close to the official polls, with the exception of preseason.

Reaction Score
Loosing to the top three teams, and only to the top three, would drop us from the top ten???
UConn had trouble with Tennessee at home and has had trouble putting away some AAC teams. If we were in a real conference we'd have a few more losses for sure, so let's say we'd have 5 losses conservatively. Where would you rank us? I know it's hypothetical, but you have to use the eye test and think in terms of hypothetical matchups when it comes to college sports because all of the teams don't play each other like in pro leagues.

Reaction Score
Crushing Colorado should not be a leading metric of where a team belongs in the Top 10. I concur that Colorado should have closed out Stanford. But, the fact is that Stanford rallied to win. Colorado seemed to quit this past Friday as Oregon State blew them out in Boulder. Colorado just doesn't match up well at all with Oregon, so those two blowouts don't surprise me.

Having seen Stanford and UConn play a number of times this season, I think that Stanford would be a difficult test for UConn to overcome given the Huskies' limited depth. Stanford has a very high ceiling this season as its sophs and frosh continue to improve.
I think a UConn-Stanford, two evenly matched teams, would be a very entertaining game. Oregon beat Stanford about as much as it beat Colorado, neither had a chance. I would much rather have an annual game with Stanford than with Tennessee.

Reaction Score
For now, this is a lot closer to reality. UConn was getting too much credit just for being UConn.
That was my take from the beginning. When you compare the returning roster to other teams returning rosters, they were rated high just because everyone had expectations that Geno could turn straw into Gold. That was given some merit because of the high ratings of Walker, Williams, and Ono. But how high players are rated in high school does not always manifest itself in college.

Realistically looking at the returning roster and the level of teams Uconn played, they benefited more from other teams' losses rather than their own accomplishments. They are still a very good team so that the teams they played while not bad were certainly not, as a group, good enough to provide enough of a challenge to result in a loss. I mean the best team they faced was DePaul who's lack of height was tailor-made to hide Uconn's weakness. A fairly good team can knock off a better team if they catch them at the right time. The more fairly good teams you play the greater the odds that you can be caught on a bad day. Add a bad matchup to the equation and the odds increase. That will be Uconns biggest challenge in the NCAA's They will eventually meet some very good teams, but it is the potentially bad matchups that will be the biggest hurdle. This will not allow for much wiggle room or sub-par performances which players are certain to have on any given day.

Reaction Score
Stanford has not really performed up to there preseason ratings or expectations either. Yet they are the type of team that if they ever get it together can be dangerous in the NCAA's. Or they can be knocked out really early. They just haven't gotten it together yet and are very inconsistent. Another example of expectations exceeding reality---so far at least.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stanford has not really performed up to there preseason ratings or expectations either. Yet they are the type of team that if they ever get it together can be dangerous in the NCAA's. Or they can be knocked out really early. They just haven't gotten it together yet and are very inconsistent. Another example of expectations exceeding reality---so far at least.
Except that the difference is the high expectations for Stanford were based on key players some of whom are now injured: Dodson, Carrington, now Jones. Do we even dare think about how UConn would be doing right now with 3 injured starters?

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I don't know but the number 4 team loses to the number 3 team...that is supposed to happen...so, why the two spot drop.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't know but the number 4 team loses to the number 3 team...that is supposed to happen...so, why the two spot drop.
I can't speak for the voters, but sometimes it's not about whether you lose, but how you lose.

Not unusual for teams to drop in the polls after losing to a higher-ranked team, and I often think that's unfair. In this case I have no objection.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn will lose big but I don't think Dawn will run up the score.
It’s hard for me to envision any scenario of Geno getting blown out by a team that starts 3 freshman, let alone fear of being run out the gym. Especially when his two best players are upperclassman.

Has South Carolina ever beat UConn while dawn was coaching? If my memory serves me right I don’t even remember a close game between the two. And now South Carolina is suppose to win “big”. I guuuuuueeeeeesssss

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget UCONN put a big whooping on Oregon’s seniors when they were freshman in the ELITE EIGHT. Monday was their revenge

Plebe

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget UCONN put a big whooping on Oregon’s seniors when they were freshman in the ELITE EIGHT. Monday was their revenge
Other than the presence of freshmen, there's no comparison between Oregon's 2017 team and this SC team.

That Oregon team barely squeaked into the tournament as a #10 seed and needed a nailbiter win just to get past Temple in the 1st round. They then caught fire to upset Duke and Maryland.

This SC team is currently the overall #1 seed and is led by a seasoned senior point guard.

I'll refrain from comparing UConn's 2017 team with the current one.

Reaction Score
Except that the difference is the high expectations for Stanford were based on key players some of whom are now injured: Dodson, Carrington, now Jones. Do we even dare think about how UConn would be doing right now with 3 injured starters?
Have to agree with Plebe on this one. If healthy, Carrington, Jones, and perhaps even Dodson would be starting this season along with Williams and Lexie Hull. Prechtel has exceeded expectations and may mean more to Stanford's March run than any of the projected starters. Fingall's recovery and performance has been refreshing.

To me, Stanford has exceeded expectations with its performance to date.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It’s hard for me to envision any scenario of Geno getting blown out by a team that starts 3 freshman, let alone fear of being run out the gym. Especially when his two best players are upperclassman.

Has South Carolina ever beat UConn while dawn was coaching? If my memory serves me right I don’t even remember a close game between the two. And now South Carolina is suppose to win “big”. I guuuuuueeeeeesssss
The answer to your question is no. However, none of the teams that has beaten SC were as inconsistent as this season's UConn team. It depends on what team shows up. They have the talent to win but if UConn's upper classmen play poorly, they will get blown out. Have you been reading some of the posts on this board. UConn does not have the inside game to prevent SC from scoring at will inside. You need to believe the BYers.:p

Reaction Score
Other than the presence of freshmen, there's no comparison between Oregon's 2017 team and this SC team.

That Oregon team barely squeaked into the tournament as a #10 seed and needed a nailbiter win just to get past Temple in the 1st round. They then caught fire to upset Duke and Maryland.

This SC team is currently the overall #1 seed and is led by a seasoned senior point guard.

I brought up that Oregon team to provide more clarity on why uconn suffered a lopsided lost. Something I don’t think we will see often.

As for South Carolina they’re deeper than UConn other than that I don’t see a lot more advantages to just warrant them to win big. At the end of the day they rely heavily on their freshman. Correct me if I’m wrong ,please, but I don’t ever remember Geno struggling with a team who relies a lot on freshman. T. Harris is a really good ball player and outstanding leader. Crystal Dangerfield is better.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Aww, come on, compare.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The answer to your question is no. However, none of the teams that has beaten SC were as inconsistent as this season's UConn team. It depends on what team shows up. They have the talent to win but if UConn's upper classmen play poorly, they will get blown out. Have you been reading some of the posts on this board. UConn does not have the inside game to prevent SC from scoring at will inside. You need to believe the BYers.:p
Haven’t read many post on his board but I’ve been watching a lot of basketball. A.Boston is the best freshman Center I’ve seen since Elizabeth Williams. UConn has only struggled against upperclassman post players thus far this season. With the exception of N.Smith who plays alongside Lauren Cox

Plebe

Reaction Score
As for South Carolina they’re deeper than UConn other than that I don’t see a lot more advantages to just warrant them to win big. At the end of the day they rely heavily on their freshman. Correct me if I’m wrong ,please, but I don’t ever remember Geno struggling with a team who relies a lot on freshman. T. Harris is a really good ball player and outstanding leader. Crystal Dangerfield is better.
So to summarize your argument:
(a) Geno's never lost to Dawn before, so therefore he won't lose to her this time?
(b) Geno's never (or rarely?) struggled against freshman-heavy teams, so therefore he won't struggle against this team?

Reaction Score
So to summarize your argument:
(a) Geno's never lost to Dawn before, so therefore he won't lose to her this time?
(b) Geno's never (or rarely?) struggled against freshman-heavy teams, so therefore he won't struggle against this team?
This! I can see South Carolina winning, but not big. Personally I think it’s going to be really close. Oh.. and I guess point “c” UConn has some very favorable matchups if South Carolina goes man.

Reaction Score
@Plebe I think Boston is the only freshman who will make an impact. I can see Zia struggling. Beal will most likely be a non factor. Who does she guard?

Plebe

Reaction Score
This! I can see South Carolina winning, but not big. Personally I think it’s going to be really close. Oh.. and I guess point “c” UConn has some very favorable matchups if South Carolina goes man.
Okay, I'll bite. Exactly which matchups would be "very favorable"?

Plebe

Reaction Score
@Plebe I think Boston is the only freshman who will make an impact. I can see Zia struggling. Beal will most likely be a non factor. Who does she guard?
Lol have you even watched South Carolina this year? Beal is an excellent defender.

Reaction Score
C.Williams>Zia
M. Walker>Beal/Herrigan
Dangerfield slightly over Harris. Exciting matchup.
If Nelson can provide valuable rim protection without fouling this is a very winnable game for Connecticut.

Personally I think this will be M.Walker breakout game she’s been waiting for this year in big games. Just my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom