Uconn Draft Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Uconn Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One thing I learned that I hadn't known was the stomach-ache inducing process that goes on on draft day. Some of our guys were called by several GM's during the day getting them set for "the call". For example,the GM of Buffalo saying--"are you still comfortable playing for us? Anything you want to let us know right now about your past we might have missed? Is this the best cell # to call you on? OK standby the phone. Then--"With the x pick, Buffalo selects --someone else--and the bottom drops out. It happened several times during the day. Now you know why those living room reactions are so intense.

Reaction Score
You may have been watching different games. Sio was a beast before Bigwood. Now Yawin has to be a star without the attention Sio drew. Let me be clear, I think Yawin can best the best Uconn LB before he leaves, but he is not better than Sio or Witten IMO....yet.
I don't think I was and what's funny is that before Sio's big draft season, the general consensus around this board was the same. I'm not saying anything about Witten (who wasn't a LB at UConn). I'm just saying that Smallwood was better than Moore last year. It's not a slight against Moore either.

Reaction Score
One thing I learned that I hadn't known was the stomach-ache inducing process that goes on on draft day. Some of our guys were called by several GM's during the day getting them set for "the call". For example,the GM of Buffalo saying--"are you still comfortable playing for us? Anything you want to let us know right now about your past we might have missed? Is this the best cell # to call you on? OK standby the phone. Then--"With the x pick, Buffalo selects --someone else--and the bottom drops out. It happened several times during the day. Now you know why those living room reactions are so intense.

So true. Almost makes me wonder why any player wants to go to NYC. Better to stay home.

Reaction Score
So true. Almost makes me wonder why any player wants to go to NYC. Better to stay home.

I liked the story of how Joe Thomas, the left tackle for the Browns (and the #2 overall selection not long ago) spent draft day fishing with his dad.

Reaction Score
I don't think I was and what's funny is that before Sio's big draft season, the general consensus around this board was the same. I'm not saying anything about Witten (who wasn't a LB at UConn). I'm just saying that Smallwood was better than Moore last year. It's not a slight against Moore either.

I am in agreement with you. Smallwood was the best linebacker on the team last season. An absolute beast.

Reaction Score
I am in agreement with you. Smallwood was the best linebacker on the team last season. An absolute beast.
That was definitely the general consensus on this board. Smallwood was one of those guys who was just in on every play. I'm not surprised that the amount of praise Moore has gotten (and deservedly so) during the draft season has made some people forget about that.

Reaction Score
UConn draft.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Nick Williams was one of 4 UDFA WRs signed by the Redskins. He may have a hard time cracking that roster, but could certainly get an opportunity as a returner. Brandon Banks (5'-6") fell out of favor with Shannahan and they have a WR converted to TE (Nils Paul) returning kicksoffs at the end of last year.

I still maintain his best opportunity may come up north, but it's also interesting to note that Washington was among the 3 NFL teams NOT present at UConn's pro day.

Reaction Score
That's
Nick Williams was one of 4 UDFA WRs signed by the Redskins. He may have a hard time cracking that roster, but could certainly get an opportunity as a returner. Brandon Banks (5'-6") fell out of favor with Shannahan and they have a WR converted to TE (Nils Paul) returning kicksoffs at the end of last year.

I still maintain his best opportunity may come up north, but it's also interesting to note that Washington was among the 3 NFL teams NOT present at UConn's pro day.

I always take pre-draft actions with a grain of salt. So many of them are smoke screens. There are teams that will interview players another team is interested in so that other team isn't linked to them, and then they will reciprocate. As a Texans fan, I know there are only a couple of times in the Gary Kubiak regime where the team interviewed their eventual first round pick or had him in for a visit. At least a couple of times there were interviews with the player saying that they neither them nor their agent had any indication that the team was interested until they picked him.

Reaction Score
UConnFootball12:07pm via web
Updating the NFL Wall in The Burton Family Football Complex...Sio goes up first with
@RAIDERS #bleedblue #NFLDraft
pic.twitter.com/Re5YquWSGk

UConnFootball12:08pm via web
Next up is Blidi with the
@TennesseeTitans #bleedblue #NFLDraft #titans more to come this afternoon
pic.twitter.com/33TFLS5pmz

UConnFootball4:56pm via web
UConn free agent signee Nick Williams on Burton Complex NFL wall with the Washington Redskins #bleedblue
pic.twitter.com/5NJxdoFNJh

UConnFootball4:57pm via web
Trevardo Wiliams, Ryan Grffine and Mike Smith added to the Texans #bleedblue
pic.twitter.com/BvUBDvs78J

Click pic.twitter.com

Reaction Score
Gotta agree here. I think Smallwood was the better player over Moore last year already. I think he'll be the most successful at the next level out of any of the LBs out of UConn so far.
I love Sio,but have to agree .Yawin very well may be the best linebacker ever to come out of Storrs.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the insight! Most of us never get an opportunity to hear what really goes on. It's got to be a roller coaster of emotions ... Glad to see it have a happy ending for a few of our huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Senior Bowl (@seniorbowl)
4/29/13, 10:05 PM
For JAX, Dwayne Gratz/UConn DC fits as size/C2 corner. If he struggles in space, may end up as safety.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 12:25pm via TweetDeck
After a program record five #UConn players were drafted, next year's draft possibilities don't seem as promising
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2013/04/whats-next-ffollowing-impressive-draft.html

..."Recent history has shown that UConn's best showings in the NFL draft have come in odd numbered years with four players taken in both the 2009 and 2011 drafts and the five taken this season. That trend could be continuing in 2015. I would have to think that linebacker Yawin Smallwood will be a sought after prospect with NFL prototype size. Defensive backs Ty-Meer Brown and Byron Jones and receivers Geremy Davis and Shakim Phillips could also emerge into NFL prospects."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom