Uconn Draft Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Uconn Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So brave of you to put the burden on the fans now that we are in a league with Directional Florida, Memphis, SMU, and Houston because our school was asleep at the wheel for years and because leagues have looked for every reason NOT to invite us. IF UConn was in the Big 10 or ACC and Michigan or Florida State or even Purdue came to town the Rent would be sold out easy. Now if fans don't go to games vs SMU in December to see if Coach P can get us win #6 and a strip to St. Pete it's our fault we are where we are. Bull. If your expecting the fans to carry us to the promised land following a 5-7 team in a league with no national brand names coming to town your on crack.

If I had a dollar for every empty seat I saw at a Pitt game I'd be retired. Didn't seem to hurt them.
The burden of the fans is the burden of the fans. If they are fans, they come no matter and stop whining about the coach, the schedule, the league, the recruits, the size of the stadium or the AD - much like this board.

It's on them to come, because they are fans. I have been to every home game and spring game and I am tired of all of the crappy excuses.

We can't fill the stadium and other teams outdraw us and we will go nowhere unless the trend drastically changes. Ohio State is not coming here unless there are some big changes.

When the numbers come out next week, we will not be over 20,000 even with this schedule - and I hope that I am wrong.

Reaction Score
We already have UConn Mid-West Campus in Indy...

Seems we are opening a Southwest Campus in Houston now:

Michael Smith (@uconn80)
4/27/13, 8:33 PM
I'm home grown...so I'm staying home... #HoustonTexans #veryblessed

Sounds like a FA signing to me.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams (@NickyWilz31)
4/27/13, 9:28 PM
Washington Redskins !!!

edit for pic:

image.jpg

Reaction Score
Smallwood and Shamar Stephen.

Possibly Graham Stewart and Byron Jones if they have big years. If Kevin Friend bounces back he might have a chance.

Hopefully Masters and Ryan Wirth sign on with a team tomorrow.

Isn't Stewart a soph and Smallwood a junior? Can't look it up right now.

Reaction Score
Another CT Kid...

Matt Sugam (@MattSugam)
4/27/13, 8:51 PM
Former #Rutgers WR Mark Harrison (@bronco81RU) signs with the #Chicago #Bears as an undrafted free agent

Reaction Score
Right or wrong - pretty much an a comment from a "national" reporter:

@YahooForde 5 UConn players drafted so far, or 1 per win in '12. How's Pasqualoni hire working out so far?
well, thats one correct as opposed to the hack Dez who insists there was no talent.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am REALLY happy for these guys! As a Giant fan I was hoping Sio went to the Giants. On that note outside of Hankins I am going on record that Jerry Reese finally blew a draft! Pugh was a TOTAL reach..the length of his arms will force him inside to center or gaurd. After reading Coughlin's comments about Demontre Moore they would have been better off taking Trevardo Williams. As for trading up and taking Nassib...the pre-draft show Gruden did with him REALLY turned me off...VERY cocky..way too high opinion of himself! The fact that Buffalo didn't take him speaks volumes! Only way I would have been happy with a qb in this draft was if they took Barkley. I guess Reese doesn't realize that Perry Fewell actualy uses LB's DB's in his d scheme! As a fan I rate this a C- to D- maybe an F (depends on how good Hankins is)!

Disagree on Moore big time. He was my second rated defensive end in the draft. He has huge hands and is still growing into his body. He will be a 260+ lbs. DE for the Giants and hustles all the time.

Pugh was a slight reach but the Giant's needed offensive lineman who can move on his feet and play a number of positions.

Hankins was rated by some as a first round pick talent wise. His sophomore he was outstnading. Lost some weight and played in a different system that was brought in my Meyers. He will line up well with Linval Joesph at DT.

I was not a big fan of Nassib in the 4th and thought they would take a corner or linebacker instead of trading up for him.

I wanted the Giants to get Griffin and thought he would be there in the 7th but Texans took him in the 6th.

My grade would be a B- but none of it matters to August when they put the pads on. Mike Mayock and Charles Davis loved the draft by the Giants. So who knows.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You are really taking this for granted the crazy talent we had this year.

I have listed our potential Draftee's(As I see them).

Probable late rounder-->59 Shamar Stephen
earblue.png
6-5/323 Defensive Tackle RS SR
Brookville, N.Y. (Long Island Lutheran)

Unlikely -->91 Jesse Joseph 6-3/262 Defensive End RS SR
Laval, Que. (Vanier Prep.)
Unlikely -->33 Yawin Smallwood
earblue.png
6-3/244 Linebacker RS JR Worcester, Mass. (Doherty)

You underrate Smallwood big time. He should be a 1st team All AAC plus get some All American talk. His size and speed could mean middle rounds at worst.
If Stephens can stay healthy and play as he did his sophomore year he will get drafted fairly high as well.

The only thing hurting Joseph his age and injury. His back up plan is the CFL at worse.

Reaction Score
Disagree on Moore big time. He was my second rated defensive end in the draft. He has huge hands and is still growing into his body. He will be a 260+ lbs. DE for the Giants and hustles all the time.

Pugh was a slight reach but the Giant's needed offensive lineman who can move on his feet and play a number of positions.

Hankins was rated by some as a first round pick talent wise. His sophomore he was outstnading. Lost some weight and played in a different system that was brought in my Meyers. He will line up well with Linval Joesph at DT.

I was not a big fan of Nassib in the 4th and thought they would take a corner or linebacker instead of trading up for him.

I wanted the Giants to get Griffin and thought he would be there in the 7th but Tennessee took him in the 6th.

My grade would be a B- but none of it matters to August when they put the pads on. Mike Mayock and Charles Davis loved the draft by the Giants. So who knows.
Yeah- I don't see why the love fest with Nassib. Average at best, not a winner. Would be lucky if he ends up a second seat journeyman .

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Another good day for UCONN with two more players be drafted and Smith signing with the Houston Texans as a free agent

Reaction Score

I wanted the Giants to get Griffin and thought he would be there in the 7th but Texas took him in the 6th.

Your second rated defensive end? Are you an NFL scout? I'd love to see the rest of your board...

If there's one thing that has taken place in the last few years, it has been everyone feeling like they are a scout. Borderline hilarity watching so-called experts projecting guys to go in the 2nd round who fall to the 6th. If you aren't studying tape of guys and seeing them up close during pro day workouts and senior games, spare us from your "rankings".

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Your second rated defensive end? Are you an NFL scout? I'd love to see the rest of your board...

If there's one thing that has taken place in the last few years, it has been everyone feeling like they are a scout. Borderline hilarity watching so-called experts projecting guys to go in the 2nd round who fall to the 6th. If you aren't studying tape of guys and seeing them up close during pro day workouts and senior games, spare us from your "rankings".

I have watched plenty of tape and seen him play in three games this past year. So while I am not a pro I know my stuff about football. I played and coached so I do have a clue. Don't believe me look at the pro's thought on him and his upside at the next level.

This was his first year as a defensive end as he played stand up linebacker in a 3-4 his first two years.

Reaction Score
I've read it and I know the upside. He was projected as a top 5 pick as late as March. Sorry to lash out at you, it was more of frustration towards the hundreds of so-called "experts" that the internet/twitter have created. Just funny watching them be so horribly wrong as the draft actually unfolds.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I've read it and I know the upside. He was projected as a top 5 pick as late as March. Sorry to lash out at you, it was more of frustration towards the hundreds of so-called "experts" that the internet/twitter have created. Just funny watching them be so horribly wrong as the draft actually unfolds.

There are a million "experts" out there. I just enjoy watching film watching college games. It is a hobby and no I don't have a report like some. I will tell you that when Mel Kiper started out I talked to him on the phone a few times about different players and some of what he was doing. He was watching 12 hours of film a day and was offered a job by Baltimore "so he said" but turned it down. He has become a product of ESPN now but thirty years ago he was pretty down to earth

Reaction Score
You underrate Smallwood big time. He should be a 1st team All AAC plus get some All American talk. His size and speed could mean middle rounds at worst.
If Stephens can stay healthy and play as he did his sophomore year he will get drafted fairly high as well.

The only thing hurting Joseph his age and injury. His back up plan is the CFL at worse.

Not underrating Smallwood. He is unlikely because hes a RS Junior. Dount he comes out early

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Not underrating Smallwood. He is unlikely because hes a RS Junior. Dount he comes out early

I hope he doesn't come out. He can be special and the best linebacker to come out of UConn when he is all done with his career at Storrs.

Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't come out. He can be special and the best linebacker to come out of UConn when he is all done with his career at Storrs.

Now that is overrating him. Fincher/Sio are tough to beat.

Fincher was a thumper and Sio was unbelievably versatile

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Now that is overrating him. Fincher/Sio are tough to beat.

Fincher was a thumper and Sio was unbelievably versatile

Fincher played in a different time and did little at the next level. He was a thumper at UConn but doesn't have the range of Smallwood or the size.

Reaction Score
Fincher played in a different time and did little at the next level. He was a thumper at UConn but doesn't have the range of Smallwood or the size.
Gotta agree here. I think Smallwood was the better player over Moore last year already. I think he'll be the most successful at the next level out of any of the LBs out of UConn so far.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams following in the footsteps of Nick Giaquinto (UCONN to Redskins). Nick was a punt returner and a slot receiver for the Redskins in the early 80's and played in the Super Bowl. Nick should get in touch with Nick.

Reaction Score
TBote="WhereistheDove?, post: 590263, member: 1109"]Gotta agree here. I think Smallwood was the better player over Moore last year already. I think he'll be the most successful at the next level out of any of the LBs out of UConn so far.[/quote]
You may have been watching different games. Sio was a beast before Bigwood. Now Yawin has to be a star without the attention Sio drew. Let me be clear, I think Yawin can best the best Uconn LB before he leaves, but he is not better than Sio or Witten IMO....yet.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
7 guys in the NFL off this team. That's impressive as . Congrats to all our guys

Reaction Score
No talent, right Dez?

Another nice little fact, over the past three years Alabama has had 11 defensive players drafted. UConn has had 7.

And Dez said we had no defensive talent, right? Find me that quote.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The burden of the fans is the burden of the fans. If they are fans, they come no matter and stop whining about the coach,

The day the fanbase stops whining about this poor excuse of a head coach is the day they have given up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom