UConn:Design,Build & Manage New Rink | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn:Design,Build & Manage New Rink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand, but the problem is the venue is horrible. Also, the team can't practice there much at all. Players benefit from practicing where they play. From a recruiting standpoint, it's a drawback that will only get worse.
I don’t disagree with the practice issue. As far as the quality of the venue, I’m not sure I totally buy that. I’ve been to a few arenas and it is no worse than many. A little antiseptic maybe. The real problem is sharing with an AHL franchise that gets first dibs on dates and times and 2 basketball teams that get 2nd and 3rd pick. I’m waiting for the time UConn has a home playoff series and has scheduling issues because the Pack is playing a meaningless home stand with Hershey or something.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with the practice issue. As far as the quality of the venue, I’m not sure I totally buy that. I’ve been to a few arenas and it is no worse than many. A little antiseptic maybe. The real problem is sharing with an AHL franchise that gets first dibs on dates and times and 2 basketball teams that get 2nd and 3rd pick. I’m waiting for the time UConn has a home playoff series and has scheduling issues because the Pack is playing a meaningless home stand with Hershey or something.
XL has the problem of being an aging facility with no "old school charm". As far as Hockey East facilities go, in the "nice facility category" it's decidedly behind BU, UNH, and Lowell. After their recent renovations, PC and BC are both ahead. UVM, Maine, and NU are more desirable in the old school charm aspect - with NU and UVM both renovating or recently renovated. No one tops Alfond in desirability. That leaves UMass and Merrimack as the only places where XL is decidedly a better facility.

The criteria I used here is a mash-up of what will draw a recruit (such as facility/amenity modernity, on-site training, practice use, home crowd atmosphere) and what amenities that will draw a fan (such seat comfort and sight lines, facility environment, fan amenities, in-game A/V capabilities).

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
XL has the problem of being an aging facility with no "old school charm". As far as Hockey East facilities go, in the "nice facility category" it's decidedly behind BU, UNH, and Lowell. After their recent renovations, PC and BC are both ahead. UVM, Maine, and NU are more desirable in the old school charm aspect - with NU and UVM both renovating or recently renovated. No one tops Alfond in desirability. That leaves UMass and Merrimack as the only places where XL is decidedly a better facility.

The criteria I used here is a mash-up of what will draw a recruit (such as facility/amenity modernity, on-site training, practice use, home crowd atmosphere) and what amenities that will draw a fan (such seat comfort and sight lines, facility environment, fan amenities, in-game A/V capabilities).
I don't know. I think a new on campus arena with the ability to 16K fans for big games is a marketable combination. FWIW, it does feel like $68M ought to buy more seats for an on campus arena.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I think a new on campus arena with the ability to 16K fans for big games is a marketable combination. FWIW, it does feel like $68M ought to buy more seats for an on campus arena.
I am of this view too. And I think after a certain point facilities are over rated in recruiting. Yes you want good training facilities but the new facility ought to have the latest. And I’m sure UConn has available facilities even now. And I think “old school charm” in particular is really over rated. I’ve been to Maine. It is a crazy place but not because of the facility. The fans make it. BC doesn’t get recruits because of Kelly Rink. It gets them because Jerry York is the best coach in the business. Put BC in the West Roxbury MDC rink and BC still gets top recruits. The new rink at UConn will be nice and will likely have top flight support facilities. But you can also tell recruits that yeah we will play in front of 7-8000 in Hartford when BC or BU or other national powers come to town.

Reaction Score

Add "beer sales" under the fan category

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
New university documents dated July 7, 2020 regarding hockey arena indicates up to 3,500 seats with half being chairbacks.

Decision area says up to 2,700, rest of the doc keeps saying 3,500.

Decision
The University of Connecticut intends to proceed with the Proposed Action, which consists of constructing a
new ice hockey arena on an approximately 12.5-acre site located west of and adjacent to the existing Mark
Edward Freitas Ice Forum on its main campus in Storrs (Mansfield), Connecticut. The site is approximately
half developed today and consists primarily of a surface parking lot (I-Lot), stormwater conveyance, some
wetlands, and rolling, wooded uplands. Construction is anticipated to start in April 2021 and conclude in
Winter 2022/2023.
The Proposed Action consists of the following elements:
 Facilities and ice that would meet NCAA Division 1 Ice Hockey requirements, Hockey East
Conference standards, and University guidelines and requirements.
 Up to 2,700 seats, with up to 50% seatback chairs; the balance being benches and rail seats.
 Locker rooms and office space.
 Parking for up to 360 vehicles with a maximum of up to 700 vehicles pending future parking
demand and funding.

Reaction Score

Decision
The University of Connecticut intends to proceed with the Proposed Action, which consists of constructing a
new ice hockey arena on an approximately 12.5-acre site located west of and adjacent to the existing Mark
Edward Freitas Ice Forum on its main campus in Storrs (Mansfield), Connecticut. The site is approximately
half developed today and consists primarily of a surface parking lot (I-Lot), stormwater conveyance, some
wetlands, and rolling, wooded uplands. Construction is anticipated to start in April 2021 and conclude in
Winter 2022/2023.
 Facilities and ice that would meet NCAA Division 1 Ice Hockey requirements, Hockey East
 Up to 2,700 seats, with up to 50% seatback chairs; the balance being benches and rail seats.
 Parking for up to 360 vehicles with a maximum of up to 700 vehicles pending future parking
demand and funding.

Any chance UConn owns the land under EO Smith and can simply take back the lease, level it (it needs to be replaced anyway) and build a 12K Basketball/8 K Hockey combo arena there? Freitas becomes the practice arena and can be used by the community, UConn stps playing games at teh XL except during school breaks, and we call get to watch the Mansfield residents go insane?

Reaction Score
Any chance UConn owns the land under EO Smith and can simply take back the lease, level it (it needs to be replaced anyway) and build a 12K Basketball/8 K Hockey combo arena there?

They used to own the land but gave it to Mansfield back in the 80’s...

There was talk of UConn talking it back and building a new district high school up on the Depot Campus in 2016/2017 but it died...

Reaction Score
They used to own the land but gave it to Mansfield back in the 80’s...

There was talk of UConn talking it back and building a new district high school up on the Depot Campus in 2016/2017 but it died...

I know, the same folks in Mansfield who complained about the 'bad' influence that UConn students have on their precious, innocent high school children screamed bloody murder about their kids losing access to UConn's facilities if a new high school was build out in Mansfield Depot.

Reaction Score
When the term "up to 2700" is used does that mean that its the maximum number of seats and it could potentially be less?

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart's new arena will put ours to shame. Watch their program takeoff.

Reaction Score
Sacred Heart's new arena will put ours to shame. Watch their program takeoff.
You are putting way to much emphasis on a freakin arena. Kids barely care man

Reaction Score
Prediction: within three years, SHU will be in ECAC or Hockey East. My choice, as a UConn alum and hockey season ticketholder...…...Hockey East.

Reaction Score
If I correctly understand your reply...……....thank you. If I have misinterpreted it...…...that's what happens when one ages!

Reaction Score
Any chance UConn owns the land under EO Smith and can simply take back the lease, level it (it needs to be replaced anyway) and build a 12K Basketball/8 K Hockey combo arena there? Freitas becomes the practice arena and can be used by the community, UConn stps playing games at teh XL except during school breaks, and we call get to watch the Mansfield residents go insane?

8000 is way too big. Thats, like, Mullins Center levels of empty space.

Reaction Score
If they thought they could sell more seats they would build it bigger. Problem is people complain about going to Storrs.

Reaction Score
If they thought they could sell more seats they would build it bigger. Problem is people complain about going to Storrs.
False....if they had more money they would build it bigger.

Reaction Score

False....if they had more money they would build it bigger.

The soccer and baseball programs are finally close to opening their new facilities after many years in the pipeline. These facilities would have opened years earlier if UConn had the financial support to do so. The same financial constraints have an impact on the size and quality of the hockey facility as well.

Reaction Score
The soccer and baseball programs are finally close to opening their new facilities after many years in the pipeline. These facilities would have opened years earlier if UConn had the financial support to do so. The same financial constraints have an impact on the size and quality of the hockey facility as well.
Correct. And both new facilities have fewer seats than originally proposed. It's all about a dearth of $$$.

Reaction Score

Decision
Winter 2022/2023.
The Proposed Action consists of the https://media.procurement.uconn.edu...3300173-RFQ/PROJECT-INFORMATION-FORM-REV1.pdf

Decision
Winter 2022/2023.
demand and funding.
The university recently asked for bids for a construction manager for the rink.

Reaction Score
The university recently asked for bids for a construction manager for the rink.

New info...

>> Scope of Work:

The Project consists but is not limited to the following program elements:

 97,700sf Ice Hockey Facility that will meet NCAA Division 1 Ice Hockey requirements, Hockey East Conference standards, University Design Standards and Performance Guidelines which includes up to 59,750sf ice level, 33,250sf concourse level and dedicated 4,700sf club level.

 Up to 2,700 seats, with approximately 50% seatback chairs; the balance being benches, rail seats and dedicated club level seating and lounge seating. Total minimum capacity with standing room for 3,500 people.

 Locker rooms, strength and conditioning room, training room, coach and office space, concessions areas, team congregational rooms, press area, rail seating around concourse, ice lounge, student deck area, and other equipment and support spaces.

 Core branding and arena experience systems, as well as, infrastructure for future branding and experience system opportunities...<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom