UConn:Design,Build & Manage New Rink | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn:Design,Build & Manage New Rink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
New info...

>> Scope of Work:

The Project consists but is not limited to the following program elements:

 97,700sf Ice Hockey Facility that will meet NCAA Division 1 Ice Hockey requirements, Hockey East Conference standards, University Design Standards and Performance Guidelines which includes up to 59,750sf ice level, 33,250sf concourse level and dedicated 4,700sf club level.

 Up to 2,700 seats, with approximately 50% seatback chairs; the balance being benches, rail seats and dedicated club level seating and lounge seating. Total minimum capacity with standing room for 3,500 people.

 Locker rooms, strength and conditioning room, training room, coach and office space, concessions areas, team congregational rooms, press area, rail seating around concourse, ice lounge, student deck area, and other equipment and support spaces.

 Core branding and arena experience systems, as well as, infrastructure for future branding and experience system opportunities...<<
800 sro? Geez.

Reaction Score
My guess:

Much of the SRO space has been placed for easy conversion to permanent seating should ticket demand warrant. For now, fill SRO with students, creating the boisterous environment that embodies an on-campus college hockey venue.

Reaction Score
2700 seats plus 800 SRO gives UConn a shot at building an intimidating environment on campus.

I know we are enthusiastic to built a palace, but a palace we can’t fill is a millstone around our neck.

Reaction Score
2700 seats plus 800 SRO gives UConn a shot at building an intimidating environment on campus.

I know we are enthusiastic to built a palace, but a palace we can’t fill is a millstone around our neck.
The new 97,700 square foot arena can be a palace given it’s size. Quinnipiac’s dual basketball/hockey facility including the shared common area is 185,000 square feet. Amenities, architectural style and seating will determine if it’s a palace.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac's arena is nice, but architecturally its not anything special. From the pictures it appears to be just insulated precast concrete wall panels. Within the arenas you see the backside of the precast wall panels (gray concrete) The entrance area looks like precast panels with inset brick. I don't know what the concourse area look like. I assume it is finished and has more architectural details. I do like all the seats. UConn should be able to construct a really nice facility for the $$$$ they are spending.

Reaction Score
Prediction: within three years, SHU will be in ECAC or Hockey East. My choice, as a UConn alum and hockey season ticketholder...…...Hockey East.
That's the gamble, but it's an expensive one with uncertain payoff. In the meantime, SHU has all new construction projects on hold, so there will be at least a one year delay before starting. I don't know the status of their fund-raising in such a tough period for colleges, but one has to wonder whether there could be further delays, revisions or even cancellation.

The ECAC is full. There will be no additions unless someone withdraws and the only remotely likely candidate, QU, seems quite happy with its situation. They are virtually guaranteed to be a competitor every year and they get to claim Yale as a legitimate local rival. It's their dream scenario.

HE has operated with odd numbers for most of its existence. Given the very small footprint for 9 out of the 11 schools, it can easily manage a schedule without requiring the "travel pairs"scenario used by the ECAC. So, they will be very selective. If anything, I think there are schools that would love to get rid of Merrimack and contract to 10 before they would go up to 12. They won't make that same mistake again. SHU will have to complete an impressive rink and establish themselves as a dominant program in Atlantic Hockey before they will even be considered for HE.

As for a capacity of 2700 seats/3500 total, it's small, but if they fill the building every game with a rabid crowd that seems to hover over the rink, it will be a fun place to play. Recruits want a great environment and that's possible while creating a powerful demand for tickets. There are worse things than having people complain that they can't get in. Those folks can buy tickets for the 3 or 4 name brand games per year at the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
That is a perfect analysis. I hold add that Atlantic Hockey is the lweakest of the D1 leagues. It has some solid teams but it is what it is. Barring a change in the makeup of the ECAC Sacred Heart is where it is. There is no chance they get a hockey East invite. The options there are QU and Holy Cross a distant 2nd unless URI elects to start a program. Then they become #1.

Reaction Score
New info...

>> Scope of Work:

The Project consists but is not limited to the following program elements:

 97,700sf Ice Hockey Facility that will meet NCAA Division 1 Ice Hockey requirements, Hockey East Conference standards, University Design Standards and Performance Guidelines which includes up to 59,750sf ice level, 33,250sf concourse level and dedicated 4,700sf club level.

 Up to 2,700 seats, with approximately 50% seatback chairs; the balance being benches, rail seats and dedicated club level seating and lounge seating. Total minimum capacity with standing room for 3,500 people.

 Locker rooms, strength and conditioning room, training room, coach and office space, concessions areas, team congregational rooms, press area, rail seating around concourse, ice lounge, student deck area, and other equipment and support spaces.

 Core branding and arena experience systems, as well as, infrastructure for future branding and experience system opportunities...<<

BOT Building & Grounds Committe May 2020 special meeting minutes regarding new hockey arena.

BOT Building & Grounds Committee May 2020 special session regarding new arena.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
From Bid Document: "Only Construction Managers Pre-qualified by DAS and the University of Connecticut, as noted herein, will have their Proposal considered for this project."

UConn Hockey Arena + I-Lot Improvements Project #300133 + 300173 Prequalified CMs
  1. Daniel OConnells Sons Inc New Haven, CT
  2. Dimeo Construction Company Providence, RI
  3. Shawmut Design and Construction North Haven, CT 06473
  4. Skanska USA Building Inc Glastonbury, CT
  5. Suffolk Construction Company Inc Boston, MA
  6. Turner Construction Co Shelton, CT
I know Dimeo was the Construction Manager for Quinnipiac's facility. Daniel OConnell's Sons did Elliott Ballpark and Werth Basketball Championship Center.

Reaction Score
Positive steps...
Is that really an increase? The 2,700 includes a "standing room only deck area for students." I thought the old 2,500-2,700 figures excluded standing room. Will there be any other standing room seating?

Reaction Score
This is no better than URI or Delaware. Following this thread, for $68MM?
1600855452738.png

Reaction Score
Thanks Medic, guessing it came from Jack's post #62. Hopefully it allows for easy and cheap bench expansion.

Reaction Score
Is that really an increase? The 2,700 includes a "standing room only deck area for students." I thought the old 2,500-2,700 figures excluded standing room. Will there be any other standing room seating?

Small steps and considering the overall financial health of Connecticut, UConn, and collegiate sports in general right now, that's a positive thing. I'm somewhat surprised that the entire project has not been canned yet.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger