UCONN-Creighton post game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Creighton post game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I expected a comfortable win, but not a beat down like this one. Aubrey's injury took the bloom off of the rose.

Q had some nice moments with some rebounds and didn't look lost playing defense. Her drive to the basket and layup was sweet. If she can develop that part of her game to go along with her outside shot she will make some big contributions going forward. She will have to as I suspect that we won't be seeing Aubrey on the court for awhile (hope I'm wrong).

Reaction Score
Hoping for the best with Aubrey. The team is really coming together, the defense is aggressive, the ball movement has improved from earlier in the season, and Paige has her sea legs back. I was glad to hear Meg Culmo state that Paige could score 40 if she wanted to, a clear reference to Caitlin Clark's performance from the night before.

As oldude stated, it is an absolute pleasure to watch Paige play. After shaking off the rust of not playing for some time early in the season, her stat line is bordering on ridiculous, her timing, efficiency, court awareness, and vision are nonpareil.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Aubrey's knee certainly seemed to bend sideways as she was jumping. I'm hoping it was the camera angle and it's just a (mild) sprain.

Ice seems to be getting it. She suffered an awful injury last year, and after most of a year off, it does take time to get back up to speed. She seems to be fighting more under the basket and made a couple of nice hustle plays. I still have very high hopes for her. If Aubrey isn't back soon, UConn will need Ice.

Defensive communication is really good. The switching has been great the last two games against teams with good motion offenses. That's a GREAT sign.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Other than Aubrey's injury, the biggest news from this game is that it was a quantum leap forward in quality of play for Ice Brady. She was tougher, more poised, and less prone to butterfingers than in any previous game. She even got, and held onto, several contested rebounds.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the pre-game analysis thread I belittled those predicting a large winning margin.
I am delighted to be wrong!

What seemed apparent, especially in the 1st quarter is that UConn plays at a different speed. It was like the Creighton kid's feet were stuck in concrete. They didn't have the athleticism to adjust and truly compete.

In this game it was almost completely man-to-man, much less of the double teaming and pressing than was the feature of the last game.

Early season rankings are a bit weird...you win a game or two that you aren't supposed to and win those that you should and you get ranked.

Or: the top-5 is incomparably better than the next 15...Time will tell.

Reaction Score
First, hopes and prayers for Aubrey - but it did not look good. Even Meg and Alan were like "ugh. We've seen this way to often with UCONN". Had to be helped off the floor. Really cast a pall over the rest of the game. Post game you could tell Geno was really down about it.

It would be easy to look at the first half offensive explosion of 53 points and say "wow the team played great", and to a degree they did. I thought Paige especially, and KK/Aaliyah all played tremendously well. 6-8 from 3, 66% overall shooting, holding Creighton to 32 points and 3-13 from 3. I thought the defense was particularly active and they tried really hard to close out and defend the 3 as well as they could. But Geno did mention Paige being too unselfish - and several times she passed up shots only to let someone else try, and miss, wasting the offensive possession. And Nika reverted back to making bad passes and poor decisions with the ball.

You always get the feeling Creighton could make a run, and boy do they jack up the 3's. But again, loved getting them into foul trouble. 3 of their starters with 2 fouls each in the first half. I think a lot of problems Creighton had came from UCONN making them play even faster than they wanted. The defense really was swarming, helping, and for the most part really good. 3rd quarter was meh. A bit of sloppy play and miscues. Great end to the quarter tho with a pressure turnover, nice save by Ice, and basket by Ash. And I'm just gonna say it (even if i get fined... LOL). The refs sucked. Paige and especially Liya were absolutely mugged in the post, but Nika breathes on a player and she's called for a foul? 14 total fouls called in the 3rd quarter alone.
  • Paige - ridiculous stats - 24 points, 7 assists, 5 boards, 4 steals, 0 blocks (slacker!!). All this and I bet Geno still thinks she is too unselfish.
  • I swear Liya had more boards than she was credited for. It seemed like she was snatching them down on almost every play. Great all around game from her. Double double yet again.
  • Ash did what Ash does - a do everything player who plays 100% every second she's on the floor. Not only a stat stuffer, but a strong guard and terrific rebounder. She and KK were terrific.
  • KK would be higher up due to her great play in the first half, but really - too many fouls. Good to see Geno talk to her after #4, and her to sit with an unhappy face on the bench. Something to learn from. And I'm guessing she did - came back in the 4th and really contributed. So impressed with her composure and maturity especially as a freshman.
  • Ice looked much better, and even tho she was not great or even very good, her play so far this year has been disappointing enough that signs of life recently has been impressive, and will be much needed if what we fear is the worst news for Aubrey. She was solid, made good plays and choices, and hopefully is on the way up. She just looked more comfortable out there.
  • Q - for all Geno's talk about her upside being so high, did not see that as much as hoped today. She will be sorely needed going forward. Nice seeing her drain a few shots late. She just needs to put it all together - the potential is there!
  • Nika - 7 assists, 5 boards, and some great decisions separated by seriously bone headed turnovers. Still, mega congrats on her 500th assist. She is such a hard worker and bleeds blue forever.
  • Nice seeing Ines and Amari get in - you'd expect that with a 40 point lead. But... and this sort of epitomizes their play. Amari was posting up. Ines threw a pass that was a tad too high for her. TO Ines. But instead of moving forward and leaping for the pass, Amari pulled hands back as if to say "i don't want it to go out of bounds off me". The problem was the pass came from Ines so it was already off a UCONN player. I doubt she could have caught the pass, but not to try - sort of sums up a lot of her game.
Came out strong in the 4th quarter. Actually, the team played really well after Aubrey's injury. Held Creighton to under 17% from 3 for the game. That's incredible. And we shot 47% from 3 and almost 81% from the FT line. Cannot complain at all about the MOV or how they defended Creighton. Much of the game was incredibly well played, especially for long stretches in the first half, and the 4th quarter. And they made a concerted effort to really get out and harass Creighton from beyond the arc. Overall a really solid game marred by potentially another devastating injury.
Spot on about Amari! I saw the same thing and like you, thought how that play was the very essence of why she has not been able to develop as a player. Very sad.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents:
Very rarely when a player is playing within its peer group, do you see someone perform at such a high level, that they stand out like a sore thumb. #5 for the blue team looks like a WNBA All star playing against High school kids.
People should look at the boxscores before they post. Q scored 8 points of the bench (2/3 from 3s) and had 6 rebounds, and someone said she needs to step up. Huh?
Someone else said Ash needs to less aggressive, another head scratcher. Through 12 games she was 1/1 from the foul line. She was told to drive more , which she is now doing and getting fouled. Since she is still shooting 100% from the foul line, smart coaching.
KK Arnold will be an All-American someday, she is the biggest difference on this team from last year.

Reaction Score
Great game, Paige is playing like the All-American she is, and Edwards too. Gotta love our freshmen, gives us hope. Sadly, we all felt the pain when Aubrey went down, we all hope it is just a bad strain, but they way thing have been this year and last, I am not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
Paige just continues to do Paige things. Treated us to another efficient offensive outing, dropping dimes, playing relentless defense. It’s such a pleasure to watch her play. I said it a while back, Azzi may have the reputation as the best shooter, but I think Paige is hands down the best in game 3 point shooter. That’s a massive compliment because Azzi is a sniper.

Aaliyah continues to be incredible. AA season is looking like a strong possibility.

And the freshman. Each unique, each awesome. Great back to back wins.

Lastly, sending good vibes to Aubrey. Didn’t look great, but will hope for the best.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts
  • 40+ win on the road vs top 25 team !!!
  • I thought the defense was the difference tonight. Creighton was just rushed enough to shoot poorly
  • Terrible luck for Aubrey. Can't imagine she will back until at least March (best case)
  • Paige and AE are playing like AA's
  • KK and Shade are getting better every game..
  • I'll say it again, we are really going to need Ice to step up and no more than ever. Honestly, I would have expected her to be further along at this point
Qadence is now the key. She is the player who has the potential to replace Aubrey. She will be subbing for four players in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Prayers for Aubrey! Once again We are seeing the coaching genius of Geno Auriemma! In a few short weeks he has molded this freshman dominated team into one that I guarantee, no one wants to play!

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Cadence is now the key. She is the player who has the potential to replace Audrey. She will be subbing for four players in the rotation.

I don't anybody has the skills to replace Aubrey. Nobody on the roster has her level of athleticism. Players will get her minutes but will have to help the team in other ways.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents:
Very rarely when a player is playing within its peer group, do you see someone perform at such a high level, that they stand out like a sore thumb. #5 for the blue team looks like a WNBA All star playing against High school kids.
People should look at the boxscores before they post. Q scored 8 points of the bench (2/3 from 3s) and had 6 rebounds, and someone said she needs to step up. Huh?
Someone else said Ash needs to less aggressive, another head scratcher. Through 12 games she was 1/1 from the foul line. She was told to drive more , which she is now doing and getting fouled. Since she is still shooting 100% from the foul line, smart coaching.
KK Arnold will be an All-American someday, she is the biggest difference on this team from last year.

The and 1 from ash is def what this team needs. Those drives are what UConn needed last year

Reaction Score
The 1st half was the best I've seen UConn play defense in a long, long time. Pressuring at the point, contesting passing lanes, and rebounding. And, then it often led to fast-break points at the other end. Thats the way UConn will have to play against the top teams to come out on top.

I haven't seen Paige move so well in about 3 years. She was so good on both ends. She'll need to be a super-hero come Sweet 16 to have any chance for a Title.

Shade and KK continue to impress. Either one of them could be BE Player of the Year.

I think Brady moved much better today. Much more aggressive. She'll need to keep it going forward now that AG is down. But, can someone teach her some post moves? She's got the height, bulk, and strength to be a force inside, but her first inclinations are fade-aways and 3-pointers. Keep it simple and play near the basket. Design some plays for her.

Reaction Score
Lord knows I love Q, but there are those moments when it looks like she's lost defensive focus. There are fewer of them perhaps then in previous games, so I'll call it progress. KK and Ash don't lose track of where they're supposed to be. But when Q is on, when she's really focused on defense, she makes plays, grabs rebounds, dives for loose balls. I hope and even expect that by the end of February we won't see those unfocused moments and she'll be terrific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom