UCONN-Creighton Post game thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Creighton Post game thread

Reaction Score
I have seen it, not sure I believe it, but it ended well. It is not like our team didn't play their hearts out, but it seems like something is wrong. Maybe it is just me?!
No, it's not you--the mental fatigue of playing, practicing and competition has gotten to our team, especially AE--hopefully they will bounce back with renewed energy and not have the mindset that you can simply be mechanical and go through the motions in a game...

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
So many reasons to lose this game: Nika with only 2 assists, Aubrey with only 5 points, AE with poor shooting. But Lou had a good steady gane, Dorka came through with 7 assists and a great play to get us posession late in the game. Plus Caroline's perfect 4th quarter. Whoa Nelly!

Reaction Score
An exciting win that could have easily gone the other way. Creighton had a plan and they executed well. They took and made more outside shots and rebounded well to nearly pull off an upset.

1. We had fewer turnovers, 7 to 15!
2. We had more free throws, 14 to 6.
3. We lost the rebound battle
4. They had more 3 pointers.

Aaliyah and Dorka had solid games but only made 7 of 24 field goals. Aubrey was solid on defense. Nika played well on defense too and helped with 8 points. Lou had a strong scoring contribution making 17 points. Caroline had a slow start and scored all of her 10 points in the second half. Team looked less tired with a 6 player rotation.

I look forward to the rest of the bench stepping up and to Azzi coming back.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
We won, in spite of sooo many defensive missed assignments. Creighton played tough, and expected to win. Too bad they drew some late fouls, but they did commit the fouls. Lou drew a great charge, the Creighton free throw queen missed a critical one, and Caroline was just magnificent. Take the win, hope we play better this weekend against a darn good team. Go Huskies!
Yes, there were far too many uncharacteristic and defensive errors, with defenders either guarding the wrong opponent, or not making the right switch, or not seeming to know where the ball was. In many of those cases the Creighton player was wide open for a 3-pointer, or mismatched on the Uconn defender, or . . . Well, you get the picture. As I said not the usual defensive sharpness and efficiency from a Uconn team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, there were far too many uncharacteristic and defensive errors, with defenders either guarding the wrong opponent, or not making the right switch, or not seeming to know where the ball was. In many of those cases the Creighton player was wide open for a 3-pointer, or mismatched on the Uconn defender, or . . . Well, you get the picture. As I said not the usual defensive sharpness and efficiency from a Uconn team.
The big girls had to guard the perimeter and they were not comfortable there. Drawing Dorka and Aaliyah out opened the lane for easy drives to the basket

Reaction Score
I think that our players have to understand that there is another player now with Caroline back who should be getting the ball to score and who can score and that trying to score every time you get the ball underneath no matter what the defensive pressure is counter productive. There were far too many forced shots against double teams and poor quality attempts. Our bigs shot 7-24.

There were also far to many bad switches and lack of close outs by some of our players. The defense has to be lower, have more foot movement and a hand has to be up all the time on a shot. There were many such mistakes and while we are tired as a team, you do not help your team if you try to do things you simply can't and you have to realize that. The return of Caroline was very demonstrative of our biggest weakness- the ability to score, because it showed the importance of another offensive weapon. It's a W but Saturday will not be easy at all and we have to play better. Caroline made everyone remember just how impactful and gutsy a player she is.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So glad that Caroline played her "20 minutes". As her game progressed, she returned to the Caroline that many of us wanted to see. I hope that she silenced the "few" members of the Chat that seemed to be very negative towards her return.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We won, in spite of sooo many defensive missed assignments. Creighton played tough, and expected to win. Too bad they drew some late fouls, but they did commit the fouls. Lou drew a great charge, the Creighton free throw queen missed a critical one, and Caroline was just magnificent. Take the win, hope we play better this weekend against a darn good team. Go Huskies!
Glad the Creighton player missed the first free throw. I did not want them to go overtime. I believe winning this game will give UConn more confidence when they play Villanova. Just think, if Dorka and Edwards had hit their close in shots like they had earlier, the game would not have been close.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah seems to be in a funk
Totally agree, seems like since SC she’s been a bit off. It’s crowded where she likes to operate, but she’s not recognizing the triple teams quick enough. But even her normally good hands have been failing her. Maybe it’s time to remove the mask.

Reaction Score
I'm glad for the win, but if the refs were decent, it would not have happened. Either they would still be playing, or Creighton would have won. That last foul call was just bad.

Reaction Score
An absolute heart attack of a game but way to pull it off. And take a bow Caroline Ducharme! I will admit, I was thrilled she was cleared to play but expected very little beyond her simply getting back into the flow with limited minutes. But MAN does that kid love to step up and play to the moment!

I hope that one of positive things the team can take away from today is that they FINALLY have some help. Caroline is rusty, she’s not in game shape, and she’s going to need time and patience to get back to firing on all cylinders. But she is an absolute competitor and today proved that even when she’s a step behind and still getting her groove back, she is a dangerous weapon that’s now back in our toolbox. Fresh legs are huge, but she is also a totally different player from any of our starting 5 in terms of her shooting, cutting and driving ability. Just by being on the floor, she should open some things up for others. And if defenses don’t respect her, I hope she makes them pay!

Hopefully today was a huge boost to her confidence, but also a relief to her teammates who desperately needed some good news after months of gut punches one after the other. Take a deep breath and on to nova this weekend.

Reaction Score
Geno’s Angels at the Dailey Planet!

SuperMühl
Count Dorkula
Captain Aaliy-ica
Loubo Cop
Flash Griffin
Azzi the Vampire Slayer
Duch Vader
The Inêsible Hulk
PattMan
Captain Amarvel
Hannibal Bueckers

… and beware, the Iceman cometh!!!

Reaction Score
I'm glad for the win, but if the refs were decent, it would not have happened. Either they would still be playing, or Creighton would have won. That last foul call was just bad.
I disagree. Creighton’s game plan was to hold push and pull everyone we got the ball below the free throw line. Don’t cry when the backfires on you and the end and refs finally blow the whistle on it.

Reaction Score
Curious if anyone who was at the game saw what caused Geno to almost go into the stands after the handshake line took place. Jamelle showed her strength and pushed Geno to midcourt. In the interview immediately after the game, Geno mentioned some issues with a Creighton fan or fans. Maybe this is an issue better left alone.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Rough notes from Chris post-game:

First half – defense was great. Whatever we drank and the half, we should change it 'cause oof.

Everyone did a little bit.

They’re a drive and kick team - need to be smart. We’re going to have to be a lot smarter and make the same kind of plays v. ‘nova.

When a team takes as many 3s as they do, long rebounds .Off rebounds because we were going in to chase.

Cant say enough about our toughtness. They’re a really good team – they went to the elite 8 - remember! All back.

We knew it wasn’t going to be like when we first played them. Too prideful.

Few TOs: Previous games turnovers would cascade. This time, make a bad play, but we stopped the bleeding.

Caroline. She’s shot well in practice. Thought she was going to knock one it. Didn’t phase her.She has a knack, gets the ball on the rim, knocked in her free throws.

Last possession? Designed for Caroline? Clock was winding down – she kept dribbling until she found a lane to basket. You just have to make good plays against a good team. We kept our composure. Didn’t force it. Caro being Caro (depaul game – so many games she’s picked up where she’s left off.)

Big win. Last decade, up three or four games in leagues...

Schedule din’t fall in our favor – who, when, where – playing 3 best teams in our league back to back. That’s just the way.. At least now, there’s a little more breathing room (thought St. John’s was Wednesday. Whoops!)

Coming back for a win, where we haven’t played our best. Made enough big plays to get the win. Like the Old Big East. No easy games. Excitiong. This is what you play for.

Fans – were great.

Academics: 9 3.0 athletes (most were better than that. Dorka 4.0. Gets overlooked. Glad you mentioned it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom