UCONN-Creighton Post game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Creighton Post game thread

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was at the game, and in addition to what has been said thus far, I can offer the following first-person observations:
  • During the pregame warmups, I noticed that Caroline seemed to be overly concerned about being hit by a ball shot by a teammate. During warmups, there are about five or six balls being used, and some of them are bound to hit a player under the basket -- it's routine. But Caroline seemed to think it would be the worst thing in the world if one of the balls hit her head -- an understandable reaction, but I thought it would lead to tentativeness in the game. Fortunately, that proved not to be the case.
  • During the game, Aaliyah missed numerous shot attempts when she was a couple of feet from the basket. Yes, she was being harassed by the defense, but she is used to that. Her shooting line for the game was 4-for-13. A normal percentage for her would be 7 or 8 for 13. So I am forced to agree that (at least in this respect) she is in a funk. Hopefully she bounces back from it as quickly as Lou did.
  • I don't normally agree with the Boneyard caucus that always wants Geno to play the bench more. However, because of Aaliyah's shooting funk in this game and Ayanna's excellent play in the last game against Georgetown, I thought it would have been wise for him to have given Ayanna a few first-half minutes to see if she could be more effective than Aaliyah was in the paint.
  • For a similar reason, I thought that at some point Geno would send Ines in for Nika when Nika kept getting dumb fouls. Ines also performed well against Georgetown and might have provided useful relief minutes, especially since Nika wasn't getting a lot of assists. But Nika was scoring well and playing good defense, and Geno's usual practice is to leave core players in the game even when they accumulate 4 fouls if the game is close. They usually don't foul out, and Nika didn't.
  • I see that some people here have complained about poor defense by UConn in this game, but I don't agree with that -- except for their swoon at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. For the rest of the game, they were defending quite well on the perimeter, and Creighton showed very little inside offense. UConn's defense forced Creighton to take very long 3-point shots, usually at the end of the shot clock, and a surprising number of those prayer shots went in. But most of those makes were at the beginning of each half when the shooters were rested -- they started missing quite consistently later in each half. Overall, Creighton shot 36% from the arc, right in line with their season average. But they took 33 3-point shot attempts (out of a total of 58 shots), which is an ungodly share of 3's in their total offense, and made 12. If they had shot similarly from 3-point range to what they did in Omaha, the final score would have been similar.
  • UConn's defense also caused three or four shot clock violations (turnovers) by Creighton, and I don't believe UConn's offense ever used up the shot clock. That is usually an indication of successful defensive pressure.
  • Regarding the foul on Caroline with 4.8 seconds left, I had a good line of vision and I thought it was a good call -- the defender's hand came down on Caroline's hand as she was throwing up a very low-percentage shot. With 20-20 hindsight, the defender should have allowed Caroline to shoot and miss, and then the game would probably have gone to overtime.
  • Some of the comparisons in the box score are revealing: UConn outscored Creighton 22-14 in the paint (despite all those misses by Aaliyah and Dorka); UConn had 6 fast-break points to zero by Creighton; UConn won points off turnovers by 14-8; second-chance points were tied 9-9 despite Creighton having 3 more offensive rebounds than UConn. However, UConn did have only 10 bench points from their one bench player, compared to 17 for Creighton.

Reaction Score
The Huskies escaped. It was a heck of an effort on a night that the team’s shooting wasn’t up to the usual standards. Scoring a total of 20 points in the second and third quarter combined will usually be a recipe for disaster. Tonight the “starting six” found a way to pull it out. It was good to see Lou’s shot falling after a few off games, and she hit a couple at critical moments. Dorka didn’t shoot well (3-11) and Aaliyah continues to be a bit off, but they are both doing a lot of little things that don’t show up in the box score. And then there’s Caroline. A month on the bench with a serious injury and she is the reason we win. Her fourth quarter was sensational. I want to know if that last play was called for her or if she just had the guts to take it herself. Either way, it was a great reminder of how valuable she is to the team. She was the only player off the bench today, but her 10 points are more points than we’ve had off the bench in quite a while.

Creighton played a very good game, and going into the fourth quarter I thought they were going to win. I’m really glad I was wrong! Great effort!
Next week, one might see five players average 32 minutes at the 2-5. My greatest concern is finding a way for Nika to have a blow each half; Azzi is the only possibility against quality teams; we aren’t going to blow anybody out.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
OK, boys and girls, by a show of hands, how many honestly believed, when we were down by 11 and on the ropes early in Q4, that we would pull this one out?

Forget about who picked an MOV of 2 in the prognosticators' thread. Who -- in the "3 things you'd like to see" thread -- picked 1) a W, 2) reduction of TO's, and 3) return of CD big-time?
I didn't

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno said that Creighton plays basically 5 guards, so Ayanna and Amari would not have been the right subs.
I just don't understand how 0 minutes were played by Patterson and Deberry when the team clearly needs some fresh bodies.
Yeah sure...
You had 2 bigs in
perhaps the use of two sub bigs wouldn't have upset the applecart.

This is typical Geno behavior; love it or hate it.
I had the feeling that Caroline would be the only sub
So predictable.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
As much as I loved the free flowing offense and high scores in years past, the close win last night is becoming much more important in these days of parity. Teams need to experience close games so that they can execute under pressure with little time left.

Close games in the BE conference are also good for the league, as it shows that other teams can compete with UConn, and then might have a little more credibility (perceived) when it comes to tourney time. Teams from different leagues with the same record need to have good eye tests to get the at large bids and break the assumption that only certain leagues are competitive.

A few observations - Aaliyah seemed to have more instinctive moments last night where she “just played” and good things happened. Perhaps she's still in a lil funk, but I saw more "wow" plays than in the last few games. Seeing Lou's first few shots miss and then seeing the next few shots go straight thru the net will go a long way for her confidence. In CD's first shift, she seemed gassed, however it's not atypical for your body to react to the exertion like that and then the next time, recovery is shorter. She'll get there. Would have liked to see Ayanna and Ines in there, however I'm not going to question the coaching staff as I have no insight into matchups or what the goals were both agains Creighton and with reintegrating CD back into the game.

Reaction Score
We'll have Paige and Azzi back. Let them throw as many rocks as they want because it ain't gonna do them a bit of good.
Hopefully, everyone will be back at full strength (except the grads :() and Amari & Ayanna are much better and stronger :))). The incoming freshmen, too, will hit the court blazing trails like freshman Maya.

Reaction Score
Glad the Creighton player missed the first free throw. I did not want them to go overtime. I believe winning this game will give UConn more confidence when they play Villanova. Just think, if Dorka and Edwards had hit their close in shots like they had earlier, the game would not have been close.
Totally correct. We never hurt them inside, wild misses from us. Strange to see as this was our bread and butter. At least we made progress from the foul line. We seemed a full step slow or didn't switch on many possessions. C was quick and determined, a well-coached team. Having the height advantage resulted in our being widely out rebounded? Something was not right. The first half rebounding was all C. That advantage was neutralized late in the second half. The jump shooting of Lou and savvy late defense was in full display.

Geno did a great awareness job of substituting. This was a serious win off of a mixed performance and showed grit at the right time. That kind of effort bodes well for the remaining games. As a team, we grew a lot.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Last few minutes of the game: Nice job by Geno on subbing Caroline for Aubrey and Aubrey for Caroline going
with the better defender when Creighton had the ball and the better [in this game] offensive player when we had it...almost possession by possession when possible.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
An exciting win that could have easily gone the other way. Creighton had a plan and they executed well. They took and made more outside shots and rebounded well to nearly pull off an upset.

1. We had fewer turnovers, 7 to 15!
2. We had more free throws, 14 to 6.
3. We lost the rebound battle
4. They had more 3 pointers.

Aaliyah and Dorka had solid games but only made 7 of 24 field goals. Aubrey was solid on defense. Nika played well on defense too and helped with 8 points. Lou had a strong scoring contribution making 17 points. Caroline had a slow start and scored all of her 10 points in the second half. Team looked less tired with a 6 player rotation.

I look forward to the rest of the bench stepping up and to Azzi coming back.
Both teams shot 38% from the field.
When there's such a tight game, an edge in shooting will do it and UConn won at the FT line, hitting 86% of their FT's to 67% for Creighton. For a team that lives and dies from the three, you'd think the FT pct. might be better.

Listen, Lauren Jensen knows pressure: she's the one who drilled the three that knocked out Iowa (at Iowa) in the NCCA's last year (against her former team, no less). So I was amazed how she clanged that first one off the iron. Thought the game was going OT. Tip of the hat to Ducharme for hitting hers.

Reaction Score
While this was clearly Caroline's night, surprised that Lou didn't get more Boneyard kudos. She had trouble walking off the court at the end of the 1st half but figured out a way to overcome her bad knee to make a number of savvy late game cuts for layups, sacrificed her body to generate offensive fouls and led the team in scoring. Her foul shooting under pressure and overall court awareness continues. While I am one who would like to see Geno sub more, having a tired, hurting Lou in the game in critical moments is still better than any alternative.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Hats off to Creighton after suffering a 25 point loss in their gym earlier this year...they came into Storrs (not an easy place to come and win) and they gave UConn all they could handle...in fact, I would go as far as to say that they had this game won.

If it wasn't for Caroline's unbelievable 4th quarter UConn doesn't win this game. Her timely return...her will to win, that smile on her face when she sunk that first free throw with only 4 seconds left on the clock to give UConn the lead made me believe that she knew she had just earned her way into Husky history. Her play in the fourth quarter was inspirational especially after missing 12 games. You couldn't have scripted it any better. UConn was lucky to dodge this bullet and while it was a team effort they got to give Caroline the kudos on this one.

4th quarter

8:06 - Creighton up by 8...Caroline Ducharme hits her first basket a 3 pointer...cuts the lead to 5.
7:49 - Morgan Maly hits two free throws...Creighton by 7
7:27 - Caroline Ducharme makes a driving step through scoop lay-up...Creighton up 5
6:15 - Lauren Jensen hits a three....Creighton by 8
5:53 - ika Muhl drives in for a lay-up....Creighton by 6
5:23 - Aaliyah Edwards makes two free throws....Creighton by 4
4:26 - Carly Bachelor lay-up....Creighton by 6
2:57 - Caroline Ducharme with another step through lay-up....Creighton by 4
2:57 - Caroline Ducharme makes a free-throw....Creighton by 3
2:21 - Aaliyah Edwards makes a lay-up....Creighton by 1
1:43 - Lou Lopez-Senechal makes a lay-up...UConn by 1
1:18 - Morgan Maly makes a three pointer....Creighton up by 2
0:47 - Lou Lopez-Senechal makes a two point jumper....Tie ball game.
0:04 - Caroline Ducharme steps to the foul line and cold as ice" sinks two free throws....UConn wins by 2
Add this
9:15
i
Nika Muhl made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Dorka Juhasz.5042

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know you mean well but Geno is talking about Caroline as an athlete not a girl basketball player. Altering his descriptions to talk about the players in a more genteel way would be paternalistic of him
We know Geno uses "colorful" language. Pretty sure most of the players use similar "colorful" language too.

Reaction Score
When they were down 11 I thought OK another loss, no big deal. I didn't get stressed out until they starting coming back. The last minute of the game I was in knots. It was a very satisfying win for them, and for the fans.

I don't analyze, I just enjoy.

Reaction Score
This team is tough on my cardiovascular system, that's for sure. And it isn't going to get any easier, Villanova is up next.

Overjoyed to see Caroline play so well her first game back but please it's still very early for her, we still need to be patient during those times when she struggles.

Lou had another great game & I hope her knee isn't giving her too much trouble, the Huskies simply can't stand to lose another starter.

We all know how tough Nika is but she got smacked around pretty hard last night, taking an elbow to the face plus landing on her right elbow after going for a loose ball. She still needs to work on her 3 point shooting, Creighton left her wide open a ton of times basically daring her to make one. And just one she did make. Nevertheless, she gave Creighton fits with her smothering defense despite getting 4 fouls. A younger Nika would have fouled out but this year's Nika stayed under control & finished the game well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This team is tough on my cardiovascular system, that's for sure. And it isn't going to get any easier, Villanova is up next.

Overjoyed to see Caroline play so well her first game back but please it's still very early for her, we still need to be patient during those times when she struggles.

Lou had another great game & I hope her knee isn't giving her too much trouble, the Huskies simply can't stand to lose another starter.

We all know how tough Nika is but she got smacked around pretty hard last night, taking an elbow to the face plus landing on her right elbow after going for a loose ball. She still needs to work on her 3 point shooting, Creighton left her wide open a ton of times basically daring her to make one. And just one she did make. Nevertheless, she gave Creighton fits with her smothering defense despite getting 4 fouls. A younger Nika would have fouled out but this year's Nika stayed under control & finished the game well.
Nika shoots 37.3% from three, after last night. That’s pretty respectable. Her shot was just off last night and she was hardly alone in that. Even Caroline was 1-5 (20%) from three last night. Like I said earlier, they were good shots that just didn’t fall

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm glad for the win, but if the refs were decent, it would not have happened. Either they would still be playing, or Creighton would have won. That last foul call was just bad.
If you watched the replay of that play, you would have seen the Creighton player hit Caroline's hand. The UConn announcers said the hand is a part of the ball. That is true only when a player is dribbling or passing the ball, not when a player is shooting. Creighton still had a chance to win the game. They turned the ball over and missed the first of two free throws. With them being such good three point, shooters I wondered why they did not try to win by taking a three pointer.

Reaction Score
We know Geno uses "colorful" language. Pretty sure most of the players use similar "colorful" language too.
Of course they use language , but colorful is one thing, crude is another. We all finished that statement in our minds. There are times for that language, and times when there are better choices. I felt it was inappropriate in that siituation; nobody else seems to have a problem with it. Knowing Geno is a wise-ass, I shouldn't have been surprised.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are mistaken. Staley does not "pack the lane "on defense or "double" an opponent's post. SC is strictly man to man.
That’s correct. But Dawn most certainly packs the lane on offense with her Bigs crashing the boards in waves. I would do the same thing if I had 6’4”, 6’7” & 6’4” upfront.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom