UCONN-Creighton Post game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Creighton Post game thread

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Interesting game plan by Creighton. Pack the inside on UConn's bigs, double- triple-teamed? Aaliyah and Dorka still tried to to put up a shot. The box score shows they didn't fare well, and most of all, Creighton had three players right there for the defensive board. I don't know if they practice kicking out to the outside shooters, as this will open up the inside, once you start consistently making threes. Which leads to the aspect of Creighton also daring Nika, Aubrey, Dorka to shoot 3s.

Another thought is that Lou and Caroline seemed to be the only ones to go to the soft space between the inside and the 3 pt line for a short jumper. Drive to this area and stop/shoot. If the inside is packed, and they're contesting the outside shot, drive and short jumper. Paige and Azzi do this consistently. They probe the softness in the defense. Aubrey could do this great, except for the form of her shot. It doesn't look amenable to a jump shot.

Poor shooting night...thought it would go OT. Hats off to Creighton. I'll take the W
Yes, the box score tells the story. Lou shot the ball well, 7-11 and 1-1 from three. The rest of the team struggled., shooting 31% overall and 26% from 3.
Mental fatigue is undoubtably part of the issue, but it also seems like the team is playing more "tight" since the South Carolina game.
Creighton shot the ball fairly well from 3, but at 12-33 (36%) it was not that exceptional (albeit a higher % than UConn usually gives up.

Reaction Score
Of course they use language , but colorful is one thing, crude is another. We all finished that statement in our minds. There are times for that language, and times when there are better choices. I felt it was inappropriate in that siituation; nobody else seems to have a problem with it. Knowing Geno is a wise-ass, I shouldn't have been surprised.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the problem is your perspective? If you don't like listening to him and think your sensibilities should rule over others, there is a button on your remote labeled "off".

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nika had a colorful comment right after being called for her first foul.
Was that where the Creighton player did the swinging elbow to Nika's head and she got called for a foul after it happened? If it was me, I would have been a little colorful also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wish I could like this post 100x more.

If these players could genuinely provide good minutes (e.g., scoring, few fouls) CONSISTENTLY, they would be playing more in games. There is no team out there playing their weaker/est players in close games. Even Dawn played a small rotation against us. Why put them out there in a close game like this and set them up for failure? It accomplishes nothing.
If they’re not given more than a few minutes on the floor, I guess we’ll never know whether they can provide “good” minutes. Although even if they don’t succeed, maybe any failures would be offset by what the others might produce, with a couple minutes of rest.

And it’s not as if this was a one-game anomaly (because “Creighton was playing 5 guards”); in the last six games DeBerry has played 17 minutes total, and Patterson 45. Bettencourt has played 17 minutes in the last five (she missed Tennessee).

Geno may well be the greatest coach ever in WBB, but even he would never claim to be infallible.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a link for the players post game presser. Can't seem to find it.
Thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom