UCONN-Butler post-game thread | The Boneyard

UCONN-Butler post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This game really was a tale of 4 distinct and separate quarters. Q's 1 and 3 - really good. Q's 2 and 4 not so much. Call it lack of focus, mental and/or physical fatigue, etc. Bottom line is that Geno and the coaches will be happy with the win, and happy with large portions of the game, but certainly things to work on.

Some of the defense was great. But the loss of focus allowed for Butler to cash in during stretches where they played really well on shooting and hitting 3's. Overall a really good win for a depleted team. I honestly can't even begin to imagine what a healthy UCONN team looks like this season as there hasn't been 1 game where we have had all healthy players. Kudos for playing as well for as along as they have!
  • Aaliyah is just a beast. She is consistent, has a high motor, plays hard on offense and defense, goes after the ball, and has learned how to use her awesome strength as an asset, not like a bowling ball wiping out pins along the way. I hope the hype is building for her to be named to 1st team AA because she deserves it.
  • So great seeing Aubrey back. She was a breath of fresh air - all energy moving all the time.
  • Today we saw the scoring Nika more than the 'assisting' Nika. She still had 6 assists, but also put the ball in the basket. She is just SO good.
  • Bit of an off game for Lou. Amazing that we have her and how much she has meshed and led this team in so many ways. Today while the scoring was a bit off, the dishing was not. 5 assists for her. Not too shabby!!
  • Dorka - a bit quiet today, but it's so great to have her back and healthy.
  • Ines and Amari - great to see them get in. They tried hard out there.
How about Ayanna off the bench? Thought she not only gave solid minutes, but was able to put the ball in the basket, which much have been great for her confidence.

That kid McLimore for Butler is something else. They have a good one there.

Bottom line a solid win. Keep on getting healthy, Caroline and Azzi please come back soon, and on to the next!! Geno please get well soon too. Worried about him!!!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Butler game:
  • Just when you thought UConn was about to add back 1 or 2 healthy players, Caroline is out with her second head injury in two years, following her best game of the season against Marquette, not to mention that Geno is under the weather again. The one silver lining in all these injuries and illnesses is that no team in the country has more experience dealing with adversity on the fly than UConn.
  • The Bulldogs didn’t have any answers for the Huskies in the paint, and that was particularly true when it came to Aaliyah who continues to dominate everyone she faces. UConn was a +15 on the boards with most of their scoring in the paint.
  • UConn was aggressively switching all screens on the perimeter. I’m not sure Butler, or any other team, knows how to deal with a 6’5” Dorka and a 6’3” Aaliyah coming up with PICK-6’s.
  • Coming off the Covid protocol and being asked to play primarily as a guard tonight, Aubrey really stepped up with a nice game at both ends of the court.
  • With no Azzi and no Caroline, Lou is UConn’s only consistent outside threat right now. Opponents know this and they are blanketing her defensively, making it more and more difficult for Lou to find space to get off her shot on offense. After a tough shooting 1st half, UConn ran some actions to get her open looks, but I am certain that Lou can’t wait to have Azzi & Caroline back on the court, spreading the floor.
  • Ayanna, Ines & Amari all got on the stat sheet tonight and contributed some meaningful PT. So long as UConn is shorthanded, those minutes are really important.
  • Great to see Ashlynn Shade taking in tonight’s game. Can she enroll early? :cool:
  • On to Cincinnati to face the Musketeers. Go Huskies!!!

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Count me among those that are concerned with Geno’s health.

The kids’ reaction when CD caught the errant pass was yet another example of what they think of the Hall of Fame coach. Loved how CD looked down immediately to see if she was out of bounds.

Things came so easily early that they looked a little bored defensively in the second quarter.

Teams giving cheap shots to UConn are a growing annoyance. Let me get this straight, a kid blatantly pushes Aaliyah in the neck and it is incidental. Got it.

Speaking of Aaliyah, 3 breakaway steals for layups? Just adding to that All-American resume.

Size and athletic wise, Butler could be the least talented roster UConn has faced so far.

I thought CD did a nice job of rotating the 8 in the second half. They never got out of what they want to do even when the score is lopsided.

The team needed a stress-free game like this. On to Xavier.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If people want the coaches to give the freshmen and Amari more playing time, they’re going to have to accept there will be periods of sub-par or “mediocre “ play as the team adjusts to the new lineups

Reaction Score
Nice to see an overwelming victory. I thought that Butler would put up more of a game. UConn defense must have been outstanding or Butlers offense was very poor. I like watching all the players get into the game.

I would like to see more of a challenge to pressure the UConn players to be more on their toes. Maybe someone can list how many turnovers that the team committed and compare that to previous games.

On the whole, at my age, it is nice to to see an victory by a wide margin.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is definitely playing All American basketball...Lou is being hounded with Azzi out, and a lot of her shots that miss are close.
I think Nika/Aubrey/Aaliyah are really exciting to watch. Amari is improving, Patterson is getting needed playing time and Dorka is really playing her best ball, even if she isn't scoring or getting rebounds she is great on defense. Were still turning the ball over too much.

Reaction Score
One of the things I am enjoying the most this year (among many other things) is so many fewer missed layups than in past years. Edwards especially has been amazing, with step throughs, reverse layups, etc. I am still puzzled why someone as athletic as Ayanna has so much trouble getting the ball up to the board... but she's only a freshman, so there is hope. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice distribution of points…

1672797500638.png

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Good game for UConn.

Yanna, Ines and Amari got significant playing time. This is good. It gave the starters some serious rest during the game. It also means the offense will not be as effective and I'm fine with that. And the turnovers were down!!

What a suffocating defense the team showed. Butler was really frustrated a lot during the game.

On to Xavier.

Reaction Score
I would describe the game tonight as "workman like." They came, they played, and they won big. Not the prettiest game, but it was an opportunity for some of the kids to get more playing time while getting some time off for the first five.

Reaction Score
A nice road win, nothing spectacular, but they got the job done. The big question mark is becoming will this team get healthy. They just can't catch a break.

Thankfully our interior players stepped up scoring the ball tonight. Aaliyah is the best Aaliyah in college basketball this season, hands down. Loved her hustle and athletic plays in the open court. And happy to see Aubrey back in the lineup impacting on both ends.

I thought Dailey did a fantastic job with the rotation, to keep our short roster fresh for the game on Thursday.

Reaction Score
One of the things I am enjoying the most this year (among many other things) is so many fewer missed layups than in past years. Edwards especially has been amazing, with step throughs, reverse layups, etc. I am still puzzled why someone as athletic as Ayanna has so much trouble getting the ball up to the board... but she's only a freshman, so there is hope. :)
She does the young girl bounce the ball before going up which gives the opponent time to get a hand on the ball. I wish youth coaches would focus more on that. It's like every freshman post player does it and it takes a season or two to get them out of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom