UCONN-Butler post-game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Butler post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This game really was a tale of 4 distinct and separate quarters. Q's 1 and 3 - really good. Q's 2 and 4 not so much. Call it lack of focus, mental and/or physical fatigue, etc. Bottom line is that Geno and the coaches will be happy with the win, and happy with large portions of the game, but certainly things to work on.

Some of the defense was great. But the loss of focus allowed for Butler to cash in during stretches where they played really well on shooting and hitting 3's. Overall a really good win for a depleted team. I honestly can't even begin to imagine what a healthy UCONN team looks like this season as there hasn't been 1 game where we have had all healthy players. Kudos for playing as well for as along as they have!
  • Aaliyah is just a beast. She is consistent, has a high motor, plays hard on offense and defense, goes after the ball, and has learned how to use her awesome strength as an asset, not like a bowling ball wiping out pins along the way. I hope the hype is building for her to be named to 1st team AA because she deserves it.
  • So great seeing Aubrey back. She was a breath of fresh air - all energy moving all the time.
  • Today we saw the scoring Nika more than the 'assisting' Nika. She still had 6 assists, but also put the ball in the basket. She is just SO good.
  • Bit of an off game for Lou. Amazing that we have her and how much she has meshed and led this team in so many ways. Today while the scoring was a bit off, the dishing was not. 5 assists for her. Not too shabby!!
  • Dorka - a bit quiet today, but it's so great to have her back and healthy.
  • Ines and Amari - great to see them get in. They tried hard out there.
How about Ayanna off the bench? Thought she not only gave solid minutes, but was able to put the ball in the basket, which much have been great for her confidence.

That kid McLimore for Butler is something else. They have a good one there.

Bottom line a solid win. Keep on getting healthy, Caroline and Azzi please come back soon, and on to the next!! Geno please get well soon too. Worried about him!!!
I really thought Ayanna was going to dunk on that unguarded fast break........that would have been quite a moment, especially in her home area.......

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Love Ines game! She is quick and breaks out of the pack with rebounds, doesn't wait in the backcourt. She will lead many fast breaks and finishes by her. She also runs the team at a higher level of quickness.
guess she's emulating nika's style of play. or maybe ticha's.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I really thought Ayanna was going to dunk on that unguarded fast break........that would have been quite a moment, especially in her home area.......
and if she blew it? ugh!

Reaction Score
and if she blew it? ugh!
that's very true but imagine if she made it.............that would be ESPN top ten highlights worthy.....I wonder if she was considering it...........

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since you referenced the breakaways from Aaliyah (Dorka had 1-2 as well), one of my highlights was pausing play several times in the third quarter and watching the expression of Butler's 5'7" guards as they tried to figure out how to stop both bigs as they took the ball full court. Sheer terror! In all of these breakaways the Butler guard just got out of their way.
Count me in also concerning Geno. I feel his pain. Two weeks ago, I got food poisoning and a cold at the same time. I was sick as a dog. I’m still not 100%. So I can see where Geno may not be all the way back to be able to stand for two hours and ride that emotional roller coaster that comes with coaching a WCBB game. CD and staff are more than capable of holding the reins until he is ready to come back.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
AE is the better player but Boston will get it on reputation & being a previous AA. That's just how it is.
This might not be true, but there are several points to consider:
  • Aaliyah (that is, UConn's Aaliyah with the double "A" in her first name) is playing more minutes than South Carolina's Aliyah this year (albeit against tougher opposition), which may account for her higher stats. I would like to see them compared on a "per minute" basis. A task for @JRRRJ ??
  • They play different positions (Boston is a "5" and AE is a "4"), so conceivably they could both be first-team AA's.
  • Most critically, the head-to-head matchup on February 5 will probably be decisive. If the Gamecocks totally dominate the paint as they did in last year's NC game, then Boston will justifiably get the nod. AE and Liv each got two (!?) rebounds in that game, while Boston got 16. South Carolina had 22 second-chance points vs. UConn's 5. However, I really don't expect that to happen again this year.

Reaction Score
  • Aaliyah (that is, UConn's Aaliyah with the double "A" in her first name) is playing more minutes than South Carolina's Aliyah this year (albeit against tougher opposition), which may account for her higher stats. I would like to see them compared on a "per minute" basis. A task for @JRRRJ ??
  • They play different positions (Boston is a "5" and AE is a "4"), so conceivably they could both be first-team AA's.
  • Most critically, the head-to-head matchup on February 5 will probably be decisive. If the Gamecocks totally dominate the paint as they did in last year's NC game, then Boston will justifiably get the nod. AE and Liv each got two (!?) rebounds in that game, while Boston got 16. South Carolina had 22 second-chance points vs. UConn's 5. However, I really don't expect that to happen again this year.
Nice observation/summary. A+

Reaction Score
I'm not entirely convinced by the idea that stats need a "per minute" adjustment. Taken literally, this would be a disincentive to playing hard for 30 or 35 minutes. Aaliyah (Edwards) not only demonstrates that she is capable of sustaining a high level of play for 35 minutes, but also that her team relies on her more. Those are virtues that shouldn't be discounted. On the other hand, in Aliyah's (Boston) case, the team has other needs -- namely to develop younger talent -- and she shouldn't be penalized for this either. It's a tough call how to manage this, but I don't think a mere statistical factor added to the stat line will always capture the truth about either player.

I completely agree with your other two points. The SC game will be decisive for Aaliyah's AA hopes. If she doesn't have a strong showing -- she doesn't have to dominate, but she needs to be effective -- it will hurt her cause. Of course, if key players are injured and this allows SC to focus their defense on her, I think that's a different matter.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this game will help or hurt the subs chances to get more playing time from Geno. While CD is obviously more motivated to use Inez and Patterson than Geno, when they both went in in the 2nd quarter, UConn's lead was quickly cut from 15 to 5. The opposing view is that the starters showed great energy in the third quarter.
But then CD had a teaching moment and the lead went to 14 by half time.....

Reaction Score
Count me among those that are concerned with Geno’s health.

The kids’ reaction when CD caught the errant pass was yet another example of what they think of the Hall of Fame coach. Loved how CD looked down immediately to see if she was out of bounds.

Things came so easily early that they looked a little bored defensively in the second quarter.

Teams giving cheap shots to UConn are a growing annoyance. Let me get this straight, a kid blatantly pushes Aaliyah in the neck and it is incidental. Got it.

Speaking of Aaliyah, 3 breakaway steals for layups? Just adding to that All-American resume.

Size and athletic wise, Butler could be the least talented roster UConn has faced so far.

I thought CD did a nice job of rotating the 8 in the second half. They never got out of what they want to do even when the score is lopsided.

The team needed a stress-free game like this. On to Xavier.
Good points, all. And, BTW, Xavier is worse than Butler. So CD will have the chance to rotate the entire bench in, again. We are all starting to worry about Geno. Long Covid? Hopefully, just one of the many " flus" now floating around.

Reaction Score
To me, the game to watch will be Depaul to see of AE fairs vs. Morrow

Reaction Score
A shout out to coach Austin Parkinson. He kept his team working hard against a difficult opponent. I expect Butler teams to get stronger in the coming years as all of the Big East grows in stature.
I’lol leave it to the experts but there are many well coached teams in addition to Parkinson in the Big East I’ve seen posts about bringing UConn into the BE would help in recruiting.If the recruits will come the coaches are already there

Reaction Score
Since you referenced the breakaways from Aaliyah (Dorka had 1-2 as well), one of my highlights was pausing play several times in the third quarter and watching the expression of Butler's 5'7" guards as they tried to figure out how to stop both bigs as they took the ball full court. Sheer terror! In all of these breakaways the Butler guard just got out of their way.
So would I !

Reaction Score
As you said, AE's toughest test will be against that huge frontcourt of South Carolina..........she's not going to have an easy time of it but must bring a convincing showing to quiet those decision-makers that think she's accumulated those strong stats against mostly average competition........

Reaction Score
It's all about effort with AE. She is working so hard and is in great shape. If she can mantain that she will continue to emerge on the national scene. Everyone fattens their numbers against teams like Butler ( at least Uconn level teams do ) but I've been extremely impressed with those 3 steals AE made yesterday and converted on the break. Her first touch was astute and her effort just was beyond her competition. She was just at another level the whole game and has been for a while now. For AE effort = excellence. She's smart and physical. She has the goods. Her outside shooting is also improved.

Reaction Score
I had one major disappointment tonight. When Ines stole the ball and hit Ayanna in stride on a breakaway, I was hoping to see Ayanna throw it down, rather than make a routine layup…..:(
Yes, I had this same thought, Old Dude, but then I realized that until Ayanna gains her confidence, she won't try a dunk... She has a strong case of freshman jitters so right now, layups are not routine.

Reaction Score
I would think that Boston is playing the 4 with Cardosa in the game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What happens with CD catching that errant pass if she has a foot/feet on the sideline? Does UConn still get the turnover, or does Butler retain possession?
I believe it is a two shot technical and ball out to Butler, if my memory serves me correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom