UCONN-Butler post-game thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN-Butler post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
To me, the game to watch will be Depaul to see of AE fairs vs. Morrow
DePaul lost at home against Marquette tonight, 72-63. UConn beat Marquette by 13 with a depleted squad.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I believe it is a two shot technical and ball out to Butler, if my memory serves me correctly.
That was my thought too. I can’t see rewarding a team with a turnover in that scenario when the coach is technically on the court.

Reaction Score
I believe it is a two shot technical and ball out to Butler, if my memory serves me correctly.
I don't believe a ref would call a technical unless the coach interfered with the game. Would you call a technical if a player, spotting a coach slightly inbounds, purposely tossed the ball at him/her? I might, but the technical wouldn't be on the coach, I would call it on the player.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't believe a ref would call a technical unless the coach interfered with the game. Would you call a technical if a player, spotting a coach slightly inbounds, purposely tossed the ball at him/her? I might, but the technical wouldn't be on the coach, I would call it on the player.
Depending how far on the court the coach was, if they was just over the line, no. But if they were completely on the court then most likely.

Reaction Score
No rules expert here but I can't imagine any call being made against a coach 'making the catch' as CD did even if her foot was on the court - unless of course there was a player in near proximity that she in any way interfered with or impeded, which was not the case. Good to see CD still has good hands - no hesitation just made the catch and looked for a Zebra to relay it to, even though her guys would have loved to see her take the shot! Now that wold have gotten her a T.

Reaction Score
AE was great. She really has that mid-short range going. If she and Dorka can hit some outside shots, that will bring bigs out of the paint to guard them. I'd like to see this against SC.

AG was great. I just hope she can hit some midrange shots going forward. They leave her open and she has to make them pay for it. Looked good on all three of her 3-point shots. She can really wreck the opponents offensive.

NM was great as well. Took the ball to the hole and converted. Missed out on at least 5 assists due to missed shots. Nice block and created 3 turnovers with offensive charge calls - creating 3 additional possessions, not to mention fouls on the opponent. Throw in 4 rebounds with 13 points and 6 assists, only 2 TO and 1 foul - that is a great all around game.

Yanna - she has a nice pump fake and used it effectively. Sometimes she doesn't even need to use it since she is already open to hit the midrange or just go straight up. I get the feeling she isn't confident in her shot outside of 5 feet. She seems to want to get as close to the basket as possible and use her athleticism to jump over people and score. It worked today - but not against better teams. I said before Christmas that I was expecting a breakout game...not had it yet.. but she needs to hit that midrange. Teams are giving it to her. Got to hit the FTs!

Pretty good command of the game from Ines. Not sure about her handle against quick guards though.

Very good game from dorka- assists, rebounds, points, defense. Hope she keeps building on this game by game because she is sneaky good.

Hope GA gets better soon - starting to worry about the guy.....

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Nice to see an overwelming victory. I thought that Butler would put up more of a game. UConn defense must have been outstanding or Butlers offense was very poor. I like watching all the players get into the game.

I would like to see more of a challenge to pressure the UConn players to be more on their toes. Maybe someone can list how many turnovers that the team committed and compare that to previous games.

On the whole, at my age, it is nice to to see an victory by a wide margin.

Not just the TOs, here's all the basic team stats for every game so far this year.

If you're interested, it's easy to get this kind of info from the per-40 spreadsheet.

1672950023532.png

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
This might not be true, but there are several points to consider:
  • Aaliyah (that is, UConn's Aaliyah with the double "A" in her first name) is playing more minutes than South Carolina's Aliyah this year (albeit against tougher opposition), which may account for her higher stats. I would like to see them compared on a "per minute" basis. A task for @JRRRJ ??
  • They play different positions (Boston is a "5" and AE is a "4"), so conceivably they could both be first-team AA's.
  • Most critically, the head-to-head matchup on February 5 will probably be decisive. If the Gamecocks totally dominate the paint as they did in last year's NC game, then Boston will justifiably get the nod. AE and Liv each got two (!?) rebounds in that game, while Boston got 16. South Carolina had 22 second-chance points vs. UConn's 5. However, I really don't expect that to happen again this year.

Here you go:
Boston: 2nd row raw data, 3rd row per-40 rates. 23.5 min/game avg (note: no 3FG attempts)
Aaliyah: 4th row per-40 rates. 33.4 min/game (note FG% 63.5, FT% 74.5

FG%FT%ORBDRBTRBFASST/TOBlkStlPts
56.374.145801252319/19237160
7.05 made5.23 made5.479.7315.152.802.31/2.312.800.8519.40
8.65 made3.51 made3.348.3911.732.913.34/3.601.281.2020.90

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As you said, AE's toughest test will be against that huge frontcourt of South Carolina..........she's not going to have an easy time of it but must bring a convincing showing to quiet those decision-makers that think she's accumulated those strong stats against mostly average competition........
"Mostly average competition"? UCONN has had the hardest schedule in the country to date. SC to date has had the 26th toughest schedule. UCONN, and Aaliyah, has faced a gauntlet of top 10 teams, substantially under-manned in each and every game. Even the non-top 10 teams (like FSU, Seton Hall, Creighton, Marquette, Duke, and Princeton) was a gauntlet of talented, and probably NCAA, squads.

The ONLY cupcakes on our schedule thus far have been Butler, and Northeastern. I'd argue that PC is a middle of the pack team. Heck, they just beat Creighton.

Just my $.02 but I think it's an unfair comment denigrating AE's YTD numbers, and saying, in so many words, that we will only know whether she's "worthy" if she has an AA-type performance against SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom