UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn/Big 12 Meeting Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It stinks because we have to go if we can. The BE new and old will always be part of our DNA……but the day we cannot compete with NIL funding is coming. Faster than can be imagined.

I just hope this is not another dog and pony and we end up without a chair when the music stops.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So legit question - what’s the benefit for each side in basketball going in 26 and football in 31?
The B12 commissioner is trying to zag when the other power conferences are zigging. He's expecting basketball to have growth and earn a closer share of revenue dollars to football over the years. So he's loading up on undervalued basketball-focused properties (Arizona, Houston, BYU, etc.) and worthwhile "leftovers".

His goal is P3. The top schools in all other conferences have joined the B1G or SEC, and FSU/Clemson have made it clear they're looking to bolt the ACC as soon as they find a way around the grant of rights or bully their way out. Yormark is seeing how tenuous the ACC's position is, and how many strong basketball-focused brands/schools the ACC has that won't be the top choice of B1G/SEC. The B12 was almost dead, and now he's trying to make the B12 a better landing spot for some of the basketball-focused ACC schools when the time comes instead of ACC teams staying and trying to poach FROM the B12. So he's getting UConn in right away to further enhance the B12's value in the run up to their next media negotiation and next round of realignment (easier to convince east coast teams from ACC that B12 will work for them if they have UConn as a test case and "friend" as it were... and keep us from the ACC as a decent fill-in when others leave).

From UConn's perspective, joining right away hopefully gets us more short term money while eventually getting us enough money when football joins and we get a full share to compete when the House settlement and revenue sharing of up to $25 million annually to players kicks in. B12 presidents don't want to give us football money that comes out of their share and ESPN won't give us full pro rata share because our football is garbage. So have to wait for a full re-negotiation in 2031, and B12 presidents are pretty skeptical about our football so they'll add some stipulations to protect themselves from us joining if we don't improve football so we're not a net drain on that future football negotiation. UConn would prefer football in right away, but it doesn't seem to be an option.

Reaction Score
I think if the offer is full membership including football, UConn basically has to take it. If they need to provide themselves worthy by 2031 with investments and an upgraded program, I'd be very leery. Seven years in limbo is an eternity, and there may be better options available by then.

Reaction Score
I think if the offer is full membership including football, UConn basically has to take it. If they need to provide themselves worthy by 2031 with investments and an upgraded program, I'd be very leery. Seven years in limbo is an eternity, and there may be better options available by then.
Says the PC fan. We’re never getting invited to BIG or SEC so there will never be a better option

Reaction Score
Part of me is, why not move to the ACC, that makes more sense! but honestly, the ACC as a basketball school has been a shell of itself the last five seasons.

Here are the conference ranks per KenPom over that time span:

2020: Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, ACC
2021: Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, ACC, Big East
2022: Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, Big East, ACC
2023: Big 12, Big Ten, Big East, SEC, Pac 12, MWC, ACC
2024: Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, SEC, ACC

That being said, the Big 12 is an incredible conference to join for basketball reasons. Obviously, it'll stink not being able to easily travel for away games (I've only been to St. John's and Seton Hall games), but it's an incredible conference and will greatly help the school financially.
I want nothing to do with the ACC, the ACC wants nothing to do with UConn, UConn should want nothing to do with the ACC, and you should want nothing to do with the ACC.

Their own hubris destroyed them, that's a dead conference.

Reaction Score

Football's already in limbo now. Even if it's seven years away, it's a light at the end of the tunnel for the time being.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Part of me is, why not move to the ACC, that makes more sense! but honestly, the ACC as a basketball school has been a shell of itself the last five seasons.

Here are the conference ranks per KenPom over that time span:

2020: Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, ACC
2021: Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, ACC, Big East
2022: Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, Big East, ACC
2023: Big 12, Big Ten, Big East, SEC, Pac 12, MWC, ACC
2024: Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, SEC, ACC

That being said, the Big 12 is an incredible conference to join for basketball reasons. Obviously, it'll stink not being able to easily travel for away games (I've only been to St. John's and Seton Hall games), but it's an incredible conference and will greatly help the school financially.
The ACC is about to implode

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about leaving the Big East does not see the big picture. If this happens, get ready for the Big 24 conference. When the ACC collapses and the biggest brands go to the SEC and B1G, schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech and NCST will be added to the Big 12. Would you rather play Villanova, St Johns, Providence and seton hall or would you rather play Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and NCST?
Um…the Big East teams. Those ACC teams all such except maybe NC St

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about leaving the Big East does not see the big picture. If this happens, get ready for the Big 24 conference. When the ACC collapses and the biggest brands go to the SEC and B1G, schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Virginia Tech and NCST will be added to the Big 12. Would you rather play Villanova, St Johns, Providence and seton hall or would you rather play Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincinnati and NCST?

Honestly? Id rather play Nova, St Johns, Providence, and Seton Hall. NC State had a run out of nowhere but those other schools are a shell of their former self. I get the move financially. I don't love it. If the Big East wasn't so disrespected and Val could actually broker a deal that gave us more money, id stay but alas.

Reaction Score
My immediate reaction was efff that. But I sure hope people a helluva lot smarter than me are at the wheel

Reaction Score
What would be awesome is if the Big 12 took 3 more teams with us in the Northeast that'd reduce our travel and were also "every sport except Football"

I'm not even sure what schools they'd take (now that Villanova has Neptune). Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall? Idk but would be nice

Reaction Score
Honestly? Id rather play Nova, St Johns, Providence, and Seton Hall. NC State had a run out of nowhere but those other schools are a shell of their former self.
Louisville will be good again in hoops very quickly, most likely this season. They're too good a hoops school not to. I wouldn't mind playing Syracuse again but I'm not totally sold on their future. I don't care about the other schools at all and BC should be Patriot League. JMick left them out which is good.

Big 12 should be doing everything to try and lure Duke as a partner with UConn. People seem to think they'll always be partnered with UNC but I'm not sold on that. Everyone is out for themselves and I've yet to see Duke linked with the Big 10 or SEC.

Reaction Score
Honestly? Id rather play Nova, St Johns, Providence, and Seton Hall. NC State had a run out of nowhere but those other schools are a shell of their former self. I get the move financially. I don't love it. If the Big East wasn't so disrespected and Val could actually broker a deal that gave us more money, id stay but alas.
This only makes sense if you're grading those big east teams on a curve.

Reaction Score
If the "contingencies" are things we can control, because it only requires expenditures of money to achieve specific targets, fine. If it requires achieving success on the field, that's something else entirely.

By the way -- it's hard to take your analysis seriously if you want the political branches of our government to act and yet you can't be bothered to look up who the governor is.
Maybe he is hoping U Maine joins the BIG12

Reaction Score
Schedule those teams for out of conference games. No need to play Butler or DePaul ever again.

Reaction Score
This only makes sense if you're grading those big east teams on a curve.

The teams you mentioned from ACC were fun because of how good they were at the time and the coaches they had. No more Higgins, no Boeheim, no Cronin. None of the student body is going to know or care about the former Big East. I agree with super John about Louisville. They will be back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom