Uconn Baylor some thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn Baylor some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Speculating is fun but I don’t think anyone, from fans to players to coaches, would be surprised at any outcome. Those who try to make a living betting on games like this are now flipping burgers and watching their cars towed away.

Reaction Score
Who is Mak Griff? Do you mean Aubrey Griffin? Last year we had Napheesa and Katie Lou. That's is a lot of experience and scoring gone. I don't see Baylor losing. I don't care who they've played. Baylor 89-79.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I see Crystal being aggressive with her shoot as one important key. This point has been made recently by Geno.

“If you’ll notice, Crystal’s best games are when she’s trying to score, when she’s trying to be aggressive and looking to shoot the ball,” he said. “That’s when plays for other people develop. She’s not as good when she’s passing up shots, going in the lane and looking for people all the time. That doesn’t work for her.”

“My tendency is to want to facilitate. (Auriemma) told me to look for the shot first and the pass will create itself,” Dangerfield said. “That has to be everybody’s mindset in a way. Stay aggressive and do that because if you try to force something, it’s not going to be there.”

Reaction Score
Personally I hear everyone talking about the size/physicality of Baylor and I think the UConn response to that is an ability to increase the tempo with speed and passing to get the shots we want and make them. Last year's team allowed Baylor to control tempo. I'm looking to see whether this year's team has learned that lesson and pushes the pace and controls tempo. If so, I am confident we win.
Very much agree; to that end, two things that may get us some easy points which is always a key in a game like this. Hopefully Makurat can defensive rebound 4 or 5 times and push the ball herself to beat Baylor down the floor to get some layups. Also, if we could get a couple with Ono beating their bigs down the floor.

Reaction Score
Personally I hear everyone talking about the size/physicality of Baylor and I think the UConn response to that is an ability to increase the tempo with speed and passing to get the shots we want and make them. Last year's team allowed Baylor to control tempo. I'm looking to see whether this year's team has learned that lesson and pushes the pace and controls tempo. If so, I am confident we win.
Baylor has speed and quickness too you know that right!? I know this lauren’s 3rd game back but she can play 40 minutes and not be tired!

Reaction Score
Baylor has speed and quickness too you know that right!? I know this lauren’s 3rd game back but she can play 40 minutes and not be tired!

Do they teach how to write without exclamation points at Baylor?!!!! ;)

Reaction Score
Im reading posts where fans feel UConn could loose the game..and theyre right. UConn could loose the game because they aren't invisible as in the past...however UConn is a very very good team. I don't care what people say UConn is ranked number 1 for a reason and Baylor is ranked number 7 for a reason. You can argue UConn hasn't played many top teams yet however they have played good teams and not a bunch of teams ranked out of the top 100 like many other teams have and UConn has played a lot of road games and many other teams haven't.

Baylor is a different team with Cox in the lineup. Shes a first team AA. Queen Egbo has done a great job replacing her averaging approx. 14 pts and 8 rebounds a game. Cox is averaging 12 pts and 8 rebounds a game. So if Queen sits and Cox plays is it that much of a difference? It is a difference but how much? I don't think enough to make me think UConn will loose. Both Queen and Cox will play.

Baylor will be a good test for UConn. ONO will be tested and if any game she must stay out of foul trouble. I like CW's play as of late. She scores rebounds and plays hard. Watching yesterdays game Mak Griff and Kyla show positive signs of scoring more. Mak and Kyla are great passers and great shooters. We're in a good place right now and its a home game which should help. Either way I think a lot of eyes will open up even larger after Thursdays game is over. UConn 74 BU 59

You had a chance to shock the world, Tony, by picking Baylor. However, your track record in predicting UConn wins is so good that we all just hope it continues. PS/You're right: the Huskies are plenty good enough to beat the Bears. :mad: Grrr.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure. I watched the OK game and at times I was largely bored by the slow pace. We may have different definitions of speed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who is Mak Griff?
Isn't that the crime dog?

1578438444816.png

Reaction Score
I think that this will be the most significant game that ONO has played in her short career at Uconn. For the first time she will be truly tested by players not only her size but with more experience. If she can hold her own in rebounding and in the paint Uconn has an excellent chance of winning. Otherwise we will be looking to the future when we will truly have some size under the basket.

Reaction Score
I hope this isn't the case, but at this stage of the season, I see Baylor's size as trumping UConn's potential speed and playmaking. But this is a great time to be playing the game for both teams. Both coaches will learn a great deal about their teams Thursday night.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I know I sound like a broken record on this point, but UConn WBB has not lost a game in the state of CT since March 12, 2013 when they lost the Big East Tournament final to ND by a score of 61-59. The Huskies are incredibly difficult to beat in CT, something a great Baylor team learned back in November 2016.
Funny to think I was at the last game UConn lost on home turf, since I haven't lived in CT for half a decade! Talk about defending home court!

For all the recent UConn teams have been knocked for not winning a championship in the end, this streak is exceptional and worth more attention than it has gotten.

Reaction Score
We go as Olivia, Kyla, Aubrey and Anna go... They play decent and the rest do their normal thing, we win. Gotta keep the points in the paint close, we own them on the perimeter. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I hope this isn't the case, but at this stage of the season, I see Baylor's size as trumping UConn's potential speed and playmaking. But this is a great time to be playing the game for both teams. Both coaches will learn a great deal about their teams Thursday night.
Size? It all depends on Olivia, Walker and Irwin in the post, Then Danger, CW, maybe Aubrey, Ania out a bit.
If Olivia can stay out of foul trouble for 30 minutes I like UC's Chances. As Olivia Goes so goes Uconn all the way to the NC if she protects the basket she'll take them far.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I agree with varied posters. Baylor has size, UConn has size, Baylor has quickness, UConn has quickness. Both are well coached, both pass well. They're really close talent-wise.

It all comes down to matchups and execution. I think the key matchups are:

Cox vs. Nelson-Ododa: Neither has faced anyone like the other. Can Cox score on ONO, and can ONO stay out of foul trouble?

Richards vs. Walker: Geez, Richards is a great defender. Walker is susceptible to turnovers, can she take care of the ball and score vs. Richards?

The other Baylor frontcourt players, Egbo and Smith, will match up with Irwin, Makurat, Griffin.

The Baylor backcourt, Cooper, Landrum, and (best name in basketball) Ursin, will have their hands full with Dangerfield, Williams, and Bent and Makurat,

I think UConn has the clear advantage in the last section, Baylor in the penultimate, and the first two will decide the game.

I think it's a tossup, but if you hold a gun to my head and made me bet, I'd bet on UConn.

Reaction Score
Walker will have a strong first half but "Poofie" (Williams) will take the game over in the fourth quarter. Look for Geno to run to neutralize their size and to use speed for either transition baskets or to start the offense quickly.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure. I watched the OK game and at times I was largely bored by the slow pace. We may have different definitions of speed.
I meant with the lineups that Baylor brings that can run in transition

Reaction Score
My only complaint about this game is where it is being played. I have argued for years that all "big" games should be on our home court - The Gampel Pavilion. The atmosphere is so much better and gives the UCONN teams a better home court advantage.

Reaction Score
I know I sound like a broken record on this point, but UConn WBB has not lost a game in the state of CT since March 12, 2013 when they lost the Big East Tournament final to ND by a score of 61-59. The Huskies are incredibly difficult to beat in CT, something a great Baylor team learned back in November 2016.
as usual you are right. I watched Baylor and IMO they are very beatable. Miss a lot of shots. played lousy defense, yes they are big and a bit lazy. Mulkey is nasty on the side lines especially playing from behind.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some Mulkey comments in Mike Anthony's story

Mulkey is just glad the game is in downtown Hartford instead of at Gampel Pavilion. She tried to explain to the Texas media.

“You fly into Hartford and you stay in Hartford,” Mulkey said. “If you were going to Storrs, I just remember last time, it just seemed like forever to get there. Like all places, no one is just champing at the bit to play in Waco, Texas. No one is champing at the bit to go on their home floor in Storrs, and that's at any great program. You'd rather play in a bigger city, in a bigger arena, where you're not on campus. It just seemed like it took forever to get to campus. It seemed like this winding road, you know, like, when are we going to get there?”

Mulkey added, “They're good enough to beat you anywhere. They'll play anywhere, as you well know. They are the cream of the crop.”

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
My only complaint about this game is where it is being played. I have argued for years that all "big" games should be on our home court - The Gampel Pavilion. The atmosphere is so much better and gives the UCONN teams a better home court advantage.

Spring semester doesn't begin until January 22, so campus is relatively dead. If students were on campus, I'd agree, but without them there I don't think it gives that much of an advantage playing in Gampel vs. the XL Center vs. Mohegan.

I could only imagine Kim's comments about driving to Mohegan... lol

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Spring semester doesn't begin until January 22, so campus is relatively dead. If students were on campus, I'd agree, but without them there I don't think it gives that much of an advantage playing in Gampel vs. the XL Center vs. Mohegan.

I could only imagine Kim's comments about driving to Mohegan... lol

Not Mohegan but Storrs is no picnic

Taken from

Mulkey is just glad the game is in downtown Hartford instead of at Gampel Pavilion. She tried to explain to the Texas media.

“You fly into Hartford and you stay in Hartford,” Mulkey said. “If you were going to Storrs, I just remember last time, it just seemed like forever to get there. Like all places, no one is just champing at the bit to play in Waco, Texas. No one is champing at the bit to go on their home floor in Storrs, and that's at any great program. You'd rather play in a bigger city, in a bigger arena, where you're not on campus. It just seemed like it took forever to get to campus. It seemed like this winding road, you know, like, when are we going to get there?”

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Not Mohegan but Storrs is no picnic

Taken from

I read it. That's why I said I could only imagine what she'd say about the drive to Mohegan. It's 15 whole minutes further from BDL than Storrs.

But then she could pit stop at Harry's in Colchester... :oops: I miss Harry's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom