Uconn Baylor some thoughts | The Boneyard

Uconn Baylor some thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im reading posts where fans feel UConn could loose the game..and theyre right. UConn could loose the game because they aren't invisible as in the past...however UConn is a very very good team. I don't care what people say UConn is ranked number 1 for a reason and Baylor is ranked number 7 for a reason. You can argue UConn hasn't played many top teams yet however they have played good teams and not a bunch of teams ranked out of the top 100 like many other teams have and UConn has played a lot of road games and many other teams haven't.

Baylor is a different team with Cox in the lineup. Shes a first team AA. Queen Egbo has done a great job replacing her averaging approx. 14 pts and 8 rebounds a game. Cox is averaging 12 pts and 8 rebounds a game. So if Queen sits and Cox plays is it that much of a difference? It is a difference but how much? I don't think enough to make me think UConn will loose. Both Queen and Cox will play.

Baylor will be a good test for UConn. ONO will be tested and if any game she must stay out of foul trouble. I like CW's play as of late. She scores rebounds and plays hard. Watching yesterdays game Mak Griff and Kyla show positive signs of scoring more. Mak and Kyla are great passers and great shooters. We're in a good place right now and its a home game which should help. Either way I think a lot of eyes will open up even larger after Thursdays game is over. UConn 74 BU 59

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Even if we lose, it would be one of those good losses where we learn alot about our team, what needs to be improved and motivation for our players to refocus their efforts if they want a NC

I recall how Geno kept the focus on trying to get Renee that only NC and how it would be a shame if she did not get one. I see a similar parallel with Crystal, another point guard that gave everything she had to the program.

Now, if we could just extend the parallels so that Liv came alive like Tina and Meg gave a decent impersonation of Maya and Christyn becoming Tiffany Hayes ;)

Reaction Score
They can only play with the skill they have now. Hopefully it will get better with each game. But again, we are talking about a game in early January and not March.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know I sound like a broken record on this point, but UConn WBB has not lost a game in the state of CT since March 12, 2013 when they lost the Big East Tournament final to ND by a score of 61-59. The Huskies are incredibly difficult to beat in CT, something a great Baylor team learned back in November 2016.

Reaction Score
I agree with oldude. It will be tough to be UConn in CT. Geno will have them up for this game. We may all be screaming and yelling and throwing stuff at the tv, but I think UConn pulls it out. But, if they play hard and give it all they have and come up short, an outstanding learning experience that they will benefit from come March.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Im reading posts where fans feel UConn could loose the game..and theyre right. UConn could loose the game because they aren't invisible as in the past...however UConn is a very very good team.
Nice post all around Tony. One comment - the past teams who were invisible - you are right - simply impossible to defend. Now that opponents can actually SEE our players, it's much easier to defend them! :p

Reaction Score
Im reading posts where fans feel UConn could loose the game..and theyre right. UConn could loose the game because they aren't invisible as in the past...however UConn is a very very good team. I don't care what people say UConn is ranked number 1 for a reason and Baylor is ranked number 7 for a reason. You can argue UConn hasn't played many top teams yet however they have played good teams and not a bunch of teams ranked out of the top 100 like many other teams have and UConn has played a lot of road games and many other teams haven't.

Baylor is a different team with Cox in the lineup. Shes a first team AA. Queen Egbo has done a great job replacing her averaging approx. 14 pts and 8 rebounds a game. Cox is averaging 12 pts and 8 rebounds a game. So if Queen sits and Cox plays is it that much of a difference? It is a difference but how much? I don't think enough to make me think UConn will loose. Both Queen and Cox will play.

Baylor will be a good test for UConn. ONO will be tested and if any game she must stay out of foul trouble. I like CW's play as of late. She scores rebounds and plays hard. Watching yesterdays game Mak Griff and Kyla show positive signs of scoring more. Mak and Kyla are great passers and great shooters. We're in a good place right now and its a home game which should help. Either way I think a lot of eyes will open up even larger after Thursdays game is over. UConn 74 BU 59
Point #1- Being "invisible" would be a huge advantage for UConn but I don't think they can get back to those days. ;)
Point #2- These big games usually come down to match ups and IMO this isn't a good matchup for UConn. Unfortunately Baylor's strength is mainly where UConn is paper thin, inside. ONO is their only interior defense and she'll have to play the game of her young, inexperienced life to offset Cox and Egbo. And that leaves Nalyssa Smith. UConn has no matchup for her. Baylor's offensive boarding could be a serious problem and foul trouble could be another. I don't pick scores but I'd like to see UConn pull it out. However I think they'll need to hit a high percentage of 3's to do it because I don't believe they'll get much inside. Either way it should be a good load of reality and experience for them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I remember the Baylor game when frosh Bria Hartley hit some clutch shots and amazingly, we were ahead. No one could stop Griner that eve (everyone tried).

So yes, anything can happen....but with regard this game, I haven't a clue...except that the rankings mean absolutely zip.

Quoting Tony: Baylor is ranked number 7 for a reason.

If that is the case: why are so many 'yarders picking Baylor?
It's because the so called experts don't have enough data to make an informed decision
and they're wandering around in the dark like the rest of us.

Reaction Score

Yes because they lost 1 game against the #4 team in the nation without their Unanimous all american on the bench due to injury . Thats the only reason baylor is ranked # 7 and not #1 at this time most likely.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't put much stock in regular season losses (unless they are BAD losses -- something UConn almost never suffers). I just want to see continued improvement.... especially from our two young frosh. And to see Christyn achieve the form most of us expected of her this year. Having said that, I do hope to see us win at least one of the three against Baylor, Oregon and S. Carolina. And we must beat TN, for obvious reasons. If we can accomplish that, and continue to get better as a team, I'll certainly take our chances come March!

Reaction Score
They did play in St. Thomas, where they lost to South Carolina. The other games were Washington State and Indiana. And they were games on successive days, November 28, 29, and 30.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Haven't seen anyone mention that Baylor has played only 1 - yes, just 1 - game on the road and that was nearby in OK. Wondering how they'll enjoy their trip to the Nutmeg state.
Lots of us have mentioned that exact point

Reaction Score

Yes because they lost 1 game against the #4 team in the nation without their Unanimous all american on the bench due to injury . Thats the only reason baylor is ranked # 7 and not #1 at this time most likely.

Exactly.

Reaction Score
Baylor has too much size, physical inside presence, experience and depth - that they should be favored. Geno will have to find a way to "speed the game up" which should negate some of those Baylor advantages. I'm less concerned about the W/L, than how we play. If it turns into a half-court game and we get dominated physically & really arent in the game (similar to last year's baylor game), it will definitely affect the team's confidence. Just hope we punch back after they punch us in the mouth.

Reaction Score
Well, Tony, you are correct in your thinking. Geno said that this will be a test. I agree with him. I have big doubts but you, know, this is a test. If they rise to this occasion, then I have underestimated them and I will be glad for them. If they lose, so be it. They can learn from this to prepare for March and remedy the weaknesses. There really is something different about this team and the teams of the last 7 years. It may be the precision, the finesse, beauty of their play, I do not know what it is. Maybe it is that all of women's basketball is like this now. I do not know. I am just going to sit back and watch and enjoy.

Reaction Score
If Baylor is going to win, Smith has to have a huge game. ONO is going to guard Cox, so that leaves Irwin, Makurat, or Griffin to cover the 4. Smith and Egbo can have a field day, but we'll see, you already know Geno is aware of this vulnerable matchup.

UConn's guards are way better than Baylor's. I think CD and CW are going to win their matchups, with CD and Cooper being the closer matchup. If Richard's can hold Walker to under 15-20, they have a chance.

I'll admit that I thought Walker was underwhelming her first two seasons. But this season she is probably the best scorer in wcbb. This will be the first time that she'll be defended by an elite player and an elite defensive team.

ONO hasn't played against a big like Cox all season. That matchup should be fun. She has to stay out of foul trouble. Baylor has an abundance of bugs to throw in there. I think she'll have to use her face up game more, as Cox is very good and blocking shots.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There really is something different about this team and the teams of the last 7 years. It may be the precision, the finesse, beauty of their play, I do not know what it is. Maybe it is that all of women's basketball is like this now. I do not know. I am just going to sit back and watch and enjoy.

I'm with you...the question is why and what (is the difference)
So we're dealing (in your time frame) with the Stewie and post Stewie era
Just pontificating off the top of my head...post Stewie was essentially finesse BB; Collier, the
ultimate finesse power forward with KLS (more finesse) and Gabby and Kia to spice it up for a year and Stevens who never really showed. ..It could be pretty BB.

The Stewie era was unique...a superstar who refused to lose combined with a penetrating guard unlike any seen before and a special, heady power forward who could guard folks who towered over her and make all the moves around the hoop. With a fine supporting cast as well...The likes of that group will perhaps never be seen again.

This bunch is moving in the right direction Meg is almost there and Christyn may have made her mind up to be a true baller and Ono...pretty unlimited potential there along with the frosh.

It's just not quite what we're used to (whatever that is) but I'm hopeful and optimistic.

Reaction Score

@Tonyc . Most of what you say I agree with. Baylor and Cox are both good. I'm not a Mulkey fan but she wins more than she loses. EVERY team CAN lose that is why the games are not phoned in.
MOST CERTAINLY---it is a great test for Uconn by the end of day on Thursday both teams will learn what they must fix, if possible, by April 1. Geno today knows most of what has to be fixed and some of that CAN"t be fixed --a short, very short bench with 2 top players prone to foul. His 2 FROSH must reach the next level before March Uconn doesn't have the liberty to wait for next year.
Will Uconn Win or Lose to Baylor? No one today knows for certain. We, as Uconn fans HOPE beyond HOPE Uconn wins. Will that win make them number ONE, a resounding NO that comes in APRIL.
The test for ONO , Olivia, Liv, Olivia Nelson Ododa, is to play DEFENSE and stay with 3 or less fouls in 40 minutes. The same is true for Danger, megan, CW, Irwin, Aubrey, Ania. If they can stay with under 3 fouls each at the end of the game my money is on a Uconn win.

Reaction Score
Well, Tony, you are correct in your thinking. Geno said that this will be a test. I agree with him. I have big doubts but you, know, this is a test. If they rise to this occasion, then I have underestimated them and I will be glad for them. If they lose, so be it. They can learn from this to prepare for March and remedy the weaknesses. There really is something different about this team and the teams of the last 7 years. It may be the precision, the finesse, beauty of their play, I do not know what it is. Maybe it is that all of women's basketball is like this now. I do not know. I am just going to sit back and watch and enjoy.
@veryolddog ---Semper Fi! --The common factor of ANY Geno team, of Any Year has been the pursuit of perfect precision. I got hooked with Geno's 1990 teams precision in passing. Some of those teams made basketball superb poetry. Geno is an artist. Some of the passes over the year were almost miracles and repeatable. The back and forth passing on the way to DEFENDED basket s was poetry just pure poetry. Some today is close. Ania's passes at times are near impossible but accurate. Danger is precision.
The difference between seeing the team in action or on TV should be nothing but the ATMOSPHERE of being there is impossible to feel on TV--Gampel with the Students there is College at it's best.

Reaction Score
Baylor has too much size, physical inside presence, experience and depth - that they should be favored. Geno will have to find a way to "speed the game up" which should negate some of those Baylor advantages. I'm less concerned about the W/L, than how we play. If it turns into a half-court game and we get dominated physically & really arent in the game (similar to last year's baylor game), it will definitely affect the team's confidence. Just hope we punch back after they punch us in the mouth.
I hope Uconn punches first and Baylor has to play catch up. Uconn plays better while in front and the team behind has a psychological disadvantage--THEY MUST try harder which at times works on the psyche.

Reaction Score
Personally I hear everyone talking about the size/physicality of Baylor and I think the UConn response to that is an ability to increase the tempo with speed and passing to get the shots we want and make them. Last year's team allowed Baylor to control tempo. I'm looking to see whether this year's team has learned that lesson and pushes the pace and controls tempo. If so, I am confident we win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom