Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The pro B12 folks seem so hostile to any opposition, and clearly the only argument for going is money. But will basketball actually get more money? I get it’s good for football and baseball fans.
This isn't a serious comment.

Who will get more money out of this?? THE UCONN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT!!

It's good for UConn. When you state that "clearly the only argument for going is money", it makes me glad that you don't run the athletic department. It turns out you can't run it without.... money...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The pro B12 folks seem so hostile to any opposition, and clearly the only argument for going is money. But will basketball actually get more money? I get it’s good for football and baseball fans.
At this point I’m convinced you people can’t comprehend revenue sharing and its implications.

Please stop posting about this until you understand why UConn basketball can’t compete at a national championship level if we don’t have comparable revenue sharing capabilities to our contemporaries.

Top recruits in men’s and women’s basketball will not take significant pay cuts to play for us, our coaches cannot make up for that talent gap. Short term we’ll be alright, but one year the new financial realities of college basketball will hit, and you’ll be wondering why we didn’t push harder to continue competing at the highest level.

Wake up.

Reaction Score
At this point I’m convinced you people can’t comprehend revenue sharing and its implications.

Please stop posting about this until you understand why UConn basketball can’t compete at a national championship level if we don’t have comparable revenue sharing capabilities to our contemporaries.

Top recruits in men’s and women’s basketball will not take significant pay cuts to play for us, our coaches cannot make up for that talent gap. Short term we’ll be alright, but one year the new financial realities of college basketball will hit, and you’ll be wondering why we didn’t push harder to continue competing at the highest level.

Wake up.
The lack of foresight from so many people, especially national media members who cover the sport, is pretty unbelievable. I'm not sure these people could make a plan of what to make for dinner before they go to the grocery store.

Reaction Score

Wake up.
Also one year the power conferences will make their own basketball tourney and have their own selection criteria that may or may not involve the small conferences in some lessor form. Never underestimate their ability to hog everything they can

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We can debate whether it would be a good move for the football and baseball fans. The reality is that it should be a good move for both programs, the athletic department as a whole and the school (which in all candor is how we should look at this).

It will also be a great opportunity for the men's basketball program (even if we do limit the number of games that we play annually with Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul and Georgetown).

One thing nobody has brought up yet: a few years down the road, if we have a year where are 21-10 with a loss in the BET semifinals, finished tied for third in the BE and are left out of the big dance because they only picked two BE schools how will our fan base react? Look at what they did to Seton Hall this past season and tell me they'll never marginalize the BE to a two bid league.

Reaction Score
We can debate whether it would be a good move for the football and baseball fans. The reality is that it should be a good move for both programs, the athletic department as a whole and the school (which in all candor is how we should look at this).

It will also be a great opportunity for the men's basketball program (even if we do limit the number of games that we play annually with Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul and Georgetown).

One thing nobody has brought up yet: a few years down the road, if we have a year where are 21-10 with a loss in the BET semifinals, finished tied for third in the BE and are left out of the big dance because they only picked two BE schools how will our fan base react? Look at what they did to Seton Hall this past season and tell me they'll never marginalize the BE to a two bid league.
The end game is both the football and basketball money, and they don't care about any of the little guys. Big time betting has taken over college sports and they don't need the little guys upsets to have people watch.

Reaction Score

Wake up.
You’re right, I don’t understand how revenue sharing is going to work. It seems to me that for basketball to get more money, either UConn basketball would have to make more in the B12 or basketball would share in (distant future) football money. I’m not sure either will happen.

Reaction Score
You’re right, I don’t understand how revenue sharing is going to work. It seems to me that for basketball to get more money, either UConn basketball would have to make more in the B12 or basketball would share in (distant future) football money. I’m not sure either will happen.
About $20 million in revenue will go to players. It's essentially a salary cap on revenue. How that is divided is yet to be seen.

If you're only making $7m off your media contract then you have to make up a $13m difference in order to compete. And that's just on salaries. If you're making $31m then you've got another $8m that can be spent on other things.

It's really not complicated to see why we will need more money when this goes into effect next year.

We're already heavily subsidized, so this means we need to come up with another $20m/yr if we want to be competitive in athletics. Even with the new big east contract we're losing $13m right off the bat.

Reaction Score
About $20 million in revenue will go to players. It's essentially a salary cap on revenue. How that is divided is yet to be seen.

If you're only making $7m off your media contract then you have to make up a $13m difference in order to compete. And that's just on salaries. If you're making $31m then you've got another $8m that can be spent on other things.

It's really not complicated to see why we will need more money when this goes into effect next year.

We're already heavily subsidized, so this means we need to come up with another $20m/yr if we want to be competitive in athletics. Even with the new big east contract we're losing $13m right off the bat.
OK, but that doesn’t answer whether basketball will actually get more money in the B12 or whether the difference will go to football.

Reaction Score
OK, but that doesn’t answer whether basketball will actually get more money in the B12 or whether the difference will go to football.
The athletic department gets more money. They don't write a check to the basketball team or the football team. The athletic department gets the money and uses it to help fund all athletic operations.

Reaction Score
Yes it does. Because to be competitive you're going to have to spend the max level of cash. Big XII money helps us get to that level of spending. Otherwise we have to ask the state and donors for more money to hit the cap.

Imagine being in the Big East and independent in football, and having to keep up spending even with other big east teams. It's basically impossible. Dropping football would be in the cards and then we're eternally doomed

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of this move. I don't like the geography, the absence of historical rivalries, the long delay for football to join.
I the ACC is a far better fit for the Huskies. Imagine the rivalry with Duke, NC, NCState, Miami, BC, GaTech, etc. And, far less travel.
Sooner or later the ACC is going to lose FSU and Clemson. Once that happens, UConn is the logical addition. Even BC will agree.
Wait for the ACC, please!I

I cannot understand why we keep turning the ACC down! What is our leadership thinking?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Do you even realize if we don't get into the B12, the future of UConn basketball is in jeopardy?

He really doesn't realize it.

And I don't understand how anyone who follows college athletics could fail to understand this at this point. I had previously commented harshly about him (or her) not being serious, but now that I know they are being serious, I don't know how else to get the message through...

Reaction Score
He really doesn't realize it.

And I don't understand how anyone who follows college athletics could fail to understand this at this point. I had previously commented harshly about him (or her) not being serious, but now that I know they are being serious, I don't know how else to get the message through...

These situations boil down to the 4chan green text "how would you have felt yesterday evening if you hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch?"

There are actually people who cant answer that question correctly.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
These situations boil down to the 4chan green text "how would you have felt yesterday evening if you hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch?"

There are actually people who cant answer that question correctly.

To be fair, the problem is that there are some people who forget that UConn is a university, which happens to have an athletic department, which happens to play a multitude of sports. They envision their love for one of those UConn sports teams as a "separate franchise". Their mind can't grasp that UConn basketball is the same school as UConn football, which is the same school as UConn baseball, etc.

It's like watching them fall in love with the mechanical engineers, and then turning around and saying, "Screw the civil engineers! Bridges suck, and it's taking away money from designing engine parts!"

Reaction Score
To be fair, the problem is that there are some people who forget that UConn is a university, which happens to have an athletic department, which happens to play a multitude of sports. They envision their love for one of those UConn sports teams as a "separate franchise". Their mind can't grasp that UConn basketball is the same school as UConn football, which is the same school as UConn baseball, etc.

It's like watching them fall in love with the mechanical engineers, and then turning around and saying, "Screw the civil engineers! Bridges suck, and it's taking away money from designing engine parts!"
Yes but it's because they just can't do hypotheticals. They can't imagine a world where UConn basketball is essentially D2 even if you describe it to them. You can talk about the mechanisms, trends, even paint a detailed picture of what it could look like, but they simply can't see it because to them it's an abstract painting or an ink blot. It doesn't mean anything because it isn't what's happening right this second. Never mind one day, one month, one year or one decade from now.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes but it's because they just can't do hypotheticals. They can't imagine a world where UConn basketball is essentially D2 even if you describe it to them. You can talk about the mechanisms, trends, even paint a detailed picture of what it could look like, but they simply can't see it because to them it's an abstract painting or an ink blot. It doesn't mean anything because it isn't what's happening right this second. Never mind one day, one month, one year or one decade from now.

Maybe the way to explain it is:

"Imagine a team playing in the Fiesta Bowl (or final four, etc), then losing their conference, and then losing recruits, money, and games due to that change. It takes about...2 years to do (we saw it happen)"...

Reaction Score
Maybe the way to explain it is:

"Imagine a team playing in the Fiesta Bowl (or final four, etc), then losing their conference, and then losing recruits, money, and games due to that change. It takes about...2 years to do (we saw it happen)"...
Dark and depressing, I still find myself shouting at trees, “We did everything right! How can we get screwed like this!??”

Bad things happen to good people( athletic departments) sometimes.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
They won't get less, will be playing in the top conference in the country, won't be left out of any future bball break away by the power conferences, and - as you point out -the other sports at UConn will receive a boost. Your problem with the move is what again?

Reaction Score
Dark and depressing, I still find myself shouting at trees, “We did everything right! How can we get screwed like this!??”

Bad things happen to good people( athletic departments) sometimes.
The thing that always gets me is that we were basically told by the Big East that it was time to upgrade our football program. So we did, and we built a stadium, and we even accelerated our timeline a bit to fill in a hole in 2004 when BC, VT and Miami left. Then we begin to succeed immediately. By the mid-late 2000's, UConn was excellent in men's and women's basketball, and a good program in football. No holes in the armor.

But less than 10 years later, the Big East gets flipped on its head by further conference defections to the ACC, and then the basketball schools decide it's time to end the alliance with the FBS schools. And suddenly we're being asked to downgrade football again if we want access to a good basketball situation, a demand that's gotten even louder now, because our AAC experience (which was, for UConn, the Island of Misfit Toys - G5 conference, less money, almost no geographic/established rivalries, hard to recruit) apparently proves we can't succeed at football in a good situation either (like the Big East was, where we did succeed).

But of course, we were being pressured to downgrade football even before the AAC misadventure, once other programs didn't need us.
Talk about being jerked around. It's literally maddening to think about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom