Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
OK, but that doesn’t answer whether basketball will actually get more money in the B12 or whether the difference will go to football.
likely both will be getting a considerable increase in money, UConn is always going to prioritize basketball we're a basketball school first and foremost, all football really needs to be is competitive and a good product to watch, UConn will dump good resources into both it's not that complicated we all kind of know this, it will more be about getting the right coaches in the future in all of our sports more than anything after this point, that was the downfall we had in the American.

Reaction Score
Your point?
200.gif

Reaction Score
The thing that always gets me is that we were basically told by the Big East that it was time to upgrade our football program. So we did, and we built a stadium, and we even accelerated our timeline a bit to fill in a hole in 2004 when BC, VT and Miami left. Then we begin to succeed immediately. By the mid-late 2000's, UConn was excellent in men's and women's basketball, and a good program in football. No holes in the armor.

But less than 10 years later, the Big East gets flipped on its head by further conference defections to the ACC, and then the basketball schools decide it's time to end the alliance with the FBS schools. And suddenly we're being asked to downgrade football again if we want access to a good basketball situation, a demand that's gotten even louder now, because our AAC experience (which was, for UConn, the Island of Misfit Toys - G5 conference, less money, almost no geographic/established rivalries, hard to recruit) apparently proves we can't succeed at football in a good situation either (like the Big East was, where we did succeed).

But of course, we were being pressured to downgrade football even before the AAC misadventure, once other programs didn't need us.
Talk about being jerked around. It's literally maddening to think about.
I've said this many times. Big East urged UConn to upgrade football and hundreds of millions went into that. Now you read Twitter and Big East fans of current schools want UConn to ditch football. Hell up outta here.

Reaction Score
If, in 5 to 10 years the b12 has a bball line up of

Kansas
Zona
Baylor
UConn
Houston
*Gonzaga
*Duke
**Cuse

It would be barnone the best bball league in the country year in and year out and with b12 money POSSIBLY improving uconn fball (I could see either 5 to 9 wins a seasons or many 0 and 1 and neither would shock me) a solid fball conference. With that line up I could see 3 in the FF within a decade and who know, maybe even a first ever 4 from a conference in the FF. Ok, getting ahead of myself here.

*Possibly even these two once the acc sinks
And a
**revived

Granted they let in a mid cincy team but everyone makes mistakes (b10 Rutgers, acc BC)

Reaction Score

Kansas
Zona
Baylor
UConn
Houston
*Gonzaga
*Duke
**Cuse

It would be barnone the best bball league in the country year in and year out and with b12 money POSSIBLY improving uconn fball (I could see either 5 to 9 wins a seasons or many 0 and 1 and neither would shock me) a solid fball conference. With that line up I could see 3 in the FF within a decade and who know, maybe even a first ever 4 from a conference in the FF. Ok, getting ahead of myself here.

And a
**revived

Granted they let in a mid cincy team but everyone makes mistakes (b10 Rutgers, acc BC)
Gonzaga is never going to happen. St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette would all be better options (but highly unlikely). The Big12 will use UConn to help lure the "best of the rest" of the east coast ACC teams not picked up by the B1G or SEC... so schools like Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, NCST, VT, Miami, and GT. If they want a west coast presence, Cal, Stanford, SDST, OSU and WSU might also be in the mix. Wake Forest and especially BC (karma's a bitch), are likely the schools that no P3 conference will want to touch. That said, UConn has a higher likelihood of landing in a P3 conference than a lot of the schools on this list...

Reaction Score
I stopped trying to predict what will happen with the conferences long ago. It's beginning to remind me of that movie "Rollerball" where you could put on a pair of skates and there were barely any rules to follow. And the people ate it up. We have allowed television to dictate sports to the point where the players are now employees. There is so much distraction that coaches like Nick Saban are retiring rather than sinking any lower into the mire. Not completely sure but I think that at some point people will start to turn off their sets or tune to another channel and at that point you might not have to pay exorbitant bills so someone can watch Georgia and Alabama. And maybe even lower the price of a hot dog to below five dollars at the ball park.

Reaction Score

Kansas
Zona
Baylor
UConn
Houston
*Gonzaga
*Duke
**Cuse

And a
**revived

In 5 to 10 years most of this speculation will be moot.
Conferences will be established by individual sports, similar to what’s currently done with hockey. Whether the NCAA still exists is yet to be known.

Reaction Score
In 5 to 10 years most of this speculation will be moot.
Conferences will be established by individual sports, similar to what’s currently done with hockey. Whether the NCAA still exists is yet to be known.
I hope so let fball do whatever the hell THAT is, whatever it is they want and leave bball and all the other sports the hell alone.

Reaction Score
Justin Williams writes in The Athletic that the problem is it is an "uphill battle" convincing Big 12 Presidents that Uconn would add any value to Big 12 media rights in 2031, their next deal--clearly Yormack thinks we would, since basketball has been undervalued.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Justin Williams writes in The Athletic that the problem is it is an "uphill battle" convincing Big 12 Presidents that Uconn would add any value to Big 12 media rights in 2031, their next deal--clearly Yormack thinks we would, since basketball has been undervalued.
Though I believe that, even as things stand now, we would bring considerable value to the big 12 contract, improved football will make that point more readily apparent to the big 12 presidents. Hopefully that begins today.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly. For basketball, a Big 12 with Uconn is better than the BE with Uconn. But the B12 can’t lay claim to being the best if they don’t have Uconn.
The Big XII right now is better than the Big East right now and it’s not particularly close. Move UConn and that gap is enormous. If Villanova was Jay Wright Villanova then your description would be accurate. Instead they are now a bottom feeder.

Reaction Score
The Big XII right now is better than the Big East right now and it’s not particularly close. Move UConn and that gap is enormous. If Villanova was Jay Wright Villanova then your description would be accurate. Instead they are now a bottom feeder.
Big 12 is clearly the best basketball conference now but outside of Kansas I wouldn't say they have any marquee basketball brands. A bunch of programs that are really good at basketball now and some with strong history and brand recognition but the only true legacy/marquee brand is Kansas, Arizona is close. That's why adding UConn should be a no brainer for them.

ACC is down lately but Duke, UNC, and Louisville are legacy/marquee brands. Cuse is close. Big East has two in UConn and Nova.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom