Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn Basketball considering joining the Big 12 in 2026

Reaction Score
Anyone comparting the B12 to the AAC is completely lost. UConn solidifies the B12 as the best basketball conference in the country, when was the AAC the best basketball conference in the country?

If the B12 is considering going hybrid, they should forget about Gonzaga and instead go after Nova and St John's.
I'd add Georgetown to Nova and SJU while we're at it. The Big XII would essentially scoop up half of the original Big East, MSG, New England, NYC, Philly, DC, and make the ACC completely irrelevant in the northeast. I'll get flack but Georgetown is still an incredible institution and we have yet to see what Cooley can do as the coach. It would kill the Big East but the good news is most of the original Big East will have found a landing spot. The ACC remnants can merge with the rest of the Big East which would be wonderful for syracuse and bcu.

The XII could then also sponsor soccer and lax, which is nice.

sun

Reaction Score
It was reported that UConn's acceptance into the Big 12 would be "revenue neutral" for its schools for 6 years, until their next media contract in 2031.
That infers that UConn athletics would sink deeper into debt by incurring higher costs & investment expenses.
That could include additional red ink for transportation, stadium upgrades & the Big East exit fee.
It could take many years for UConn to break even, maybe just in time for UConn to want to jump to yet another conference & pay another whole round of exit fees to the Big 12.
The move could end up being yet another UConn boondoggle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That infers that UConn athletics would sink deeper into debt by incurring higher costs & investment expenses.
That could include additional red ink for transportation, stadium upgrades & the Big East exit fee
You mean that it implies, not infers, in any event it doesn't. What it means is that TV partners are willing to pay the big 12 what they will be paying Connecticut up to 2031.

For what it's worth I have inferred from that that our TV partners have essentially said UConn football brings minimal value, at least in the near term. It's all good, as long as there is a date certain for our admission for football and they give us a scheduling agreement between now and then.

sun

Reaction Score
You mean that it implies, not infers, in any event it doesn't. What it means is that TV partners are willing to pay the big 12 what they will be paying Connecticut up to 2031.

For what it's worth I have inferred from that that our TV partners have essentially said UConn football brings minimal value, at least in the near term. It's all good, as long as there is a date certain for our admission for football and they give us a scheduling agreement between now and then.
I don't think that UConn should accept 6 years of no conference athletic payments if that ends up being the case.
Zero revenue sharing in addition to the necessary expected outlays in the meantime seems to be a promise of a pie in the sky which may not prove to be worth it for too many years to come.
There should be financial projections made clear to the public about when UConn would break even before accepting any invitation from the Big 12.
Without seeing all of the projections it's all loose talk without enough transparency because many of the costs end up getting passed on to the CT taxpayers.
What is best for our sports teams &UConn athletes may not be best for our pocketbook but that's the way it is.

Reaction Score
It was reported that UConn's acceptance into the Big 12 would be "revenue neutral" for its schools for 6 years, until their next media contract in 2031.
That could include additional red ink for transportation, stadium upgrades & the Big East exit fee.
It could take many years for UConn to break even, maybe just in time for UConn to want to jump to yet another conference & pay another whole round of exit fees to the Big 12.
The move could end up being yet another UConn boondoggle.

You're assuming UConn's basketball programs won't get more from the Big12 than they're getting from the Big East and that's probably a non-starter for UConn, so likely not the case.

sun

Reaction Score
You're assuming UConn's basketball programs won't get more from the Big12 than they're getting from the Big East and that's probably a non-starter for UConn, so likely not the case.
The article used the term revenue neutral for the Big 12 schools.
Since the sources are anonymous & won't even allow their names to be published then it makes it seem like they're whistleblowers.
Where is the credibility for any assumptions when the sources/whistleblowers won't even give their names?
Where's the transparency?
Does the President of UConn know what's going on?
Who makes the final decision & will need to answer for it & all of its ramifcations?
Why is this process so secretive?
It makes any decision seem sneaky because it can't be properly examined for its flaws.

CL82

Reaction Score
don't think that UConn should accept 6 years of no conference athletic payments if that ends up being the case.
Me either. I doubt that's what's being offered.

sun

Reaction Score
Me either. I doubt that's what's being offered.
How can you doubt what revenue neutral means?
Revenue neutral for the Big 12 schools means just that,
That's what the article stated that the secret sources said, and you want to dispute that or doubt it?
Maybe you can but I'm not.

Reaction Score
This is probably good for the women, it’s a stronger conference. Not so much for the men who benefit from the regional rivalries. And I don’t care about football.
Are people really pretending that we still can't schedule St. John's and Providence and Villanova? You think they're going to turn us down?

CL82

Reaction Score
That's what the article stated that the secret sources said, and you want to dispute that or doubt it?
Revenue neutral means that there will be no change in the revenue to other conference members. Essentially, that means whatever additional amount of money ESPN will pay for Connecticut to join will be distributed to them. It's possible, I suppose that they'll pay absolutely nothing, but then this would be a cumbersome way to express that. Feel free to have any interpretation you'd like, but what you're proposing is a little bit tortured and not common usage.

Reaction Score
Since the sources are anonymous & won't even allow their names to be published then it makes it seem like they're whistleblowers.
Where is the credibility for any assumptions when the sources/whistleblowers won't even give their names?
Where's the transparency?
Does the President of UConn know what's going on?
Who makes the final decision & will need to answer for it & all of its ramifcations?
Why is this process so secretive?
It makes any decision seem sneaky because it can't be properly examined for its flaws.
It’s not sneaky. Negotiations happen behind the scenes all the time so that parties can make progress without distractions. Doing it in the open would be really odd

Reaction Score
Revenue neutral is such a vague and possibly inaccurate term. It could be that the TV partners cough up 20m annually for UConn Olympic sports with 5m going to the Conference offices to pay for the expenses of bringing UConn on-board and 15m going to UConn. Or, it could be north or south of 20m due to a potential fb scheduling arrangement before full admittance with a sliding scale of requisite expenses. There are so many variables that likely only a relative handful of people know about the very specifics of. To me, it seems like there are enough specifics that have been reported on (i.e. which sports are in, by stated varying entry dates, etc.) that there is already a deal framework that has been agreed to at the UConn and Big12 Conference/AD level that has been worked on for many months (possibly up to a year) of which the Big12 university presidents have already been briefed on (and possibly said deal framework has had substantial Big12 university president input on along the way). By all accounts the Big12 university presidents have been educated on the pros and cons of UConn for well over a year now given Yormark's efforts during early to mid 2023. These deals generally don't happen over night, take months and months of work-up, yellow-to-green lighting from the ultimate decision makers to their subordinates, etc during the process. The process itself could cost a million dollars, so it's not done in a seat-of-the-pants sort of way. To get this far, I'm sure Lamont has been personally involved and I'd imagine the recent State Legislature approvals for venues (XL, Rent, and Gampel) as well as the large coaching investments for Hurley, Geno, and FB staff have been part of the needed direction setting to facilitate the conference's decision to keep moving this forward. It's not like Tuesday's meeting is happening because Yormark sent an Outlook calendar invite to the sixteen Presidents to talk about a potential deal he has.

Reaction Score

Another numbskull to be showcased.

It does mean that we won’t get payments because apparently ESPN and FOX are on board with increasing the money in order to give UConn a payout. But for everything but football.

Reaction Score
Revenue neutral for the Big 12 schools means that those schools will not gain or lose money by UConn joining. ESPN will add money to the Big 12 media contract, but that money will go to UConn, not the other Big 12 schools.

Edit: See post above for a more detailed explanation. Did you think UConn wasn't getting any money?

Reaction Score
Revenue neutral for the Big 12 schools means that those schools will not gain or lose money by UConn joining. ESPN will add money to the Big 12 media contract, but that money will go to UConn, not the other Big 12 schools.
And I'd imagine that the term in the actual agreement will be "at least revenue neutral" because if more monies come in then initially expected, I'd imagine there'd be some sort of gain-share on anything northwards.

Reaction Score
Revenue neutral is such a vague and possibly inaccurate term. It could be that the TV partners cough up 20m annually for UConn Olympic sports with 5m going to the Conference offices to pay for the expenses of bringing UConn on-board and 15m going to UConn. Or, it could be north or south of 20m due to a potential fb scheduling arrangement before full admittance with a sliding scale of requisite expenses. There are so many variables that likely only a relative handful of people know about the very specifics of. To me, it seems like there are enough specifics that have been reported on (i.e. which sports are in, by stated varying entry dates, etc.) that there is already a deal framework that has been agreed to at the UConn and Big12 Conference/AD level that has been worked on for many months (possibly up to a year) of which the Big12 university presidents have already been briefed on (and possibly said deal framework has had substantial Big12 university president input on along the way). By all accounts the Big12 university presidents have been educated on the pros and cons of UConn for well over a year now given Yormark's efforts during early to mid 2023. These deals generally don't happen over night, take months and months of work-up, yellow-to-green lighting from the ultimate decision makers to their subordinates, etc during the process. The process itself could cost a million dollars, so it's not done in a seat-of-the-pants sort of way. To get this far, I'm sure Lamont has been personally involved and I'd imagine the recent State Legislature approvals for venues (XL, Rent, and Gampel) as well as the large coaching investments for Hurley, Geno, and FB staff have been part of the needed direction setting to facilitate the conference's decision to keep moving this forward. It's not like Tuesday's meeting is happening because Yormark sent an Outlook calendar invite to the sixteen Presidents to talk about a potential deal he has.

It's actually extremely simple.

It means that the pie is sufficiently bigger that nobody currently in the Big 12 is taking a pay cut.

That's it.

Reaction Score
In
It's actually extremely simple.

It means that the pie is sufficiently bigger that nobody currently in the Big 12 is taking a pay cut.

That's it.
Summary, yes, but lots of details for sure.

Reaction Score
Are people really pretending that we still can't schedule St. John's and Providence and Villanova? You think they're going to turn us down?
Preseason is not the same as home and home conference games. This model has worked very poorly for Pitt, BC, Syracuse, and Louisville. All shadows of their Big East selves.

Reaction Score
If you care about basketball you should have your fingers and toes crossed this happens.
Because the teams that left the Big East for football have done so well?

sun

Reaction Score
If it's such a good deal for UConn then why won't anyone own up to leaking the news to the press?
Why didn't the UConn AD simply publically announce that UConn is entering into negotiations with the Big 12 one year after being blackballed by them?
The TV money that the Big East will be receiving under it's new YV contract may also be affected since UConn fans will be MIA.
So it's no wonder that the news is kept relatively secret (or selectively leaked w/o details) so as to not step on too many toes before upsetting so many apple carts.
For all I know, everytime UConn tries to make a back door deal with the Big 12, they're just starving for attention from the ACC where UConn would be better off.

Reaction Score
Preseason is not the same as home and home conference games. This model has worked very poorly for Pitt, BC, Syracuse, and Louisville. All shadows of their Big East selves.

Those schools rested on their laurels once they got into the ACC.

Louisville cheated like crazy, had a Heisman winner and had a title vacated.

Their decline really can’t be definitively linked to the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom