UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
Another quote from the above story:

>During the fall months, BIG EAST student-athletes will be allowed to participate in various team activities, such as practices, strength and conditioning sessions, and team meetings, consistent with individual campus policies, public health guidelines and NCAA and Conference regulations.<
Hmmm... that disappeared from the original cut and paste.

Thanks for adding that back because that was an important piece.

Reaction Score
Hmmm... that disappeared from the original cut and paste.

Thanks for adding that back because that was an important piece.

You're welcome. It is an important piece, especially for the possibility of getting some UConn baseball news this fall. The one possible positive side effect is that we don't get to moan and groan about the UConn soccer teams this fall.

Reaction Score
I heard a rumor that Joe Simeone is converting to a shortstop this year. He thinks it gives him a better shot at pro ball. I remember that he could really hit in high school and the coaches are really high on his overall athleticism. Let's hope he's the prato replacement we have been looking for.

Reaction Score
A D1baseball article that contains some interesting stuff on the fall practice season and how it the practice schedule could be adjusted due to the pandemic.

>Fall Workouts Timeline Has Coronavirus Flexibility
Though the coronavirus pandemic has slowed down in several college baseball hot bed areas as fall workouts begin, it’s inevitable that the virus will take its toll on at least some programs from a practice standpoint, especially as another wave could arrive in conjunction with flu season. We’ve already heard of a few programs who have had key players out of workouts because of the virus, and more frequently, contact tracing.

Programs will have ways to deal with pauses in workouts.

The way fall workouts work is that you have 28 practices to complete in a 45-day window. But what if you have 10 practices and half of your team gets COVID-19 or is exposed, and, thus, you have to shut down workouts for a couple of weeks?

In the past, programs would lose those days as part of the 45-day window. However, that isn’t the case this fall.

Let’s say a program typically does the 20 hours a week that are allowed during a non-championship semester, pauses, and shifts to eight hours of activity a week — four hours a week of skill instruction and four of strength and conditioning, because of some contact tracing/virus issues. If the program, for example, had 10 practices in 14 days, they could then restart workouts at an undisclosed later date and have 18 practices left in 31 days.

With that in mind and because of this NCAA clarification, some programs around the country have decided to move up their fall workouts. The idea behind this move is that if you start team workouts right now, have to stop for two weeks because of virus issues, you can still make up the time at a later date without going into mid-to-late November and interfering with final examinations or the departure of students. Remember, many institutions are only having in-person classes until Thanksgiving break and are not allowing students back until January. So, programs must be done with fall workouts before the fall examination period begins. Starting fall workouts right now gives coaches and players the optimal ability to have all of their practices.

Again, while some programs and leagues have been cognizant of this reality for a few weeks, others have been left in the dark and are confused as to how they didn’t know this was a possibility.

Just another day of normal business in the midst of a pandemic.<

Last edited:
Reaction Score

this is certainly a sight for sore eyes, LETS GO

I was at UConn on Labor Day to take a look around, and saw some players gathering at the ballpark shortly after noon. Guessing that was an unofficial practice get together. This very well might be the first official practice of the fall.

Reaction Score

If you are able to scroll through, u can see Kenneth Haus which is great! Seems like he is back with the team for another year. U can also see Crawford, Stock, Willis and others

edit: wondering who #51 is in the second slide there?? Another notables r Jimmy Wang, Caleb Wurster and Colby Dunlop

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hoping Todd Petersen has some games this spring that make us feel this way:

Reaction Score
I'm told he is at #58, which is not bad for having missed all of last year. I would expect him to move up once he is playing again.

Reaction Score

This is something of a confirmation of the feeling that I've had that the 2021 UConn pitching staff had the potential to be deep and talented bunch. Given the reports from the coaching staff over the past year, have to figure that Ben Casparius and Jimmy Wang are the leading contenders for the weekend starting rotation. Pat Gallagher had a solid freshman showing last season, and I recall that the coaching staff at the conclusion of the truncated season was talking about Gallagher being a contender for a weekend starting spot as well. It would seem from this report that Gallagher has been making the progress the coaching staff expected of him. Biggest question regarding Reggie Crawford as a pitcher would seem to be what type of control he shows. If he has it, watch out. And Caleb Wurster is certainly a known quantity at this point. And to me, the pitchers mentioned in these tweets are just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is something of a confirmation of the feeling that I've had that the 2021 UConn pitching staff had the potential to be deep and talented bunch. Given the reports from the coaching staff over the past year, have to figure that Ben Casparius and Jimmy Wang are the leading contenders for the weekend starting rotation. Pat Gallagher had a solid freshman showing last season, and I recall that the coaching staff at the conclusion of the truncated season was talking about Gallagher being a contender for a weekend starting spot as well. It would seem from this report that Gallagher has been making the progress the coaching staff expected of him. Biggest question regarding Reggie Crawford as a pitcher would seem to be what type of control he shows. If he has it, watch out. And Caleb Wurster is certainly a known quantity at this point. And to me, the pitchers mentioned in these tweets are just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.
Also definitely can’t forget about guys like Joe Simeone, Justin Willis, Kenneth Haus, and Colby Dunlop. Gonna be great to have options for the rotation and bullpen

Reaction Score
Also definitely can’t forget about guys like Joe Simeone, Justin Willis, Kenneth Haus, and Colby Dunlop. Gonna be great to have options for the rotation and bullpen

I figured I would keep it to the guys that Stu Murray mentioned. Haus certainly had a breakout start to the shortened season, and if Simeone gets a grip on control and composure he would be someone who could really breakout as well, as he can be a bit of a strikeout machine when he is on his game. A couple of other guys who looked good in the shortened season were Will Lucas and Andrew Marrero, those guys really showed something. After that, you just never who between the other players returning to the team and the newcomers coming in who could emerge as well. Like I have said, there seem to be plenty of arms that could make nice contributions.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a subscription to New England Baseball Journal? The have a Ben Casparius profile in the latest issue.

Reaction Score
No doubt!

No background noise, but variable sound quality on the microphone, but I'm sure that will get corrected. Great to see these Chris Jones interviews being posted with the players and especially with Coach Penders again. Backup catcher Ciaran Devenney gets a good quality mention from Penders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom