UConn Baseball 2021 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Baseball 2021

Reaction Score
That's the thing with high level recruits, there is always a chance that they will go pro.

Reaction Score
Casparius will be a weekend starter. Dunlop, Simeone and Wang will be fighting it out for the other two weekend slots, and maybe Gallagher as well.

I don't even think about a true frosh as a weekend starter until he gets here and starts showing what he can do in another roll.

Reaction Score
Another blurb from me on UConn starting pitching. I certainly think there is great potential for the starting pitching to be very good or better next season, there are a number of worthy candidates for these jobs. However, would also point out that none of the guys mentioned for starting roles has firmly established themselves as a starter at UConn in previous seasons. So until these guys prove themselves on the mound in starting roles in spring competition (and that includes the much talked about Casparius), there is also a bit of mystery and uncertainty here as well on how it will all turn out.

Still, it is better to have a bunch of guys with great talent than having a bunch of guys who don't have much potential at all. That being said, it is obvious that Coach Penders thinks very highly of Casparius and the ability he showed after he arrived in Storrs. Coach MacDonald has said all sorts of favorable things about Jimmy Wang, it pretty much sounds like with Wang it all comes down to getting some experience. And I think Joe Simeone can be a strikeout machine if he ever gains some consistency over his control. And if someone doesn't pan out, there are always the options of players like Gallagher, Dunlop, and the previously named freshmen.

Reaction Score
I completely agree, depth at starting pitcher never hurts. Going to be important when it comes time for the conference and NCAA tournaments due to the quick turnarounds and the amount of games they play. The veterans like Dunlop and Simeone are going to be huge in developing these young guys.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Sending best wishes and a speedy recovery to Randy Polonia. He was a passenger in a Masarati that crashed in Stamford a few weeks ago. The driver died of his injuries yesterday. "Two passengers in the car also suffered burns and injuries and are currently recovering, according to Stamford Police."

Reaction Score
Sending best wishes and a speedy recovery to Randy Polonia. He was a passenger in a Masarati that crashed in Stamford a few weeks ago. The driver died of his injuries yesterday. "Two passengers in the car also suffered burns and injuries and are currently recovering, according to Stamford Police."

Thanks for the info. Even before this accident there never was a firm announcement on whether or not Randy Polonia was returning to UConn baseball for next season.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I saw the tweet from the Healdsburg Prune Packers a little bit ago and wondered what happened. Thanks for the information and I wish the best for him and his family

Reaction Score
Good listen...worth the 18 min. time investment.

>>Head Coach of the UConn Baseball Team, Jim Penders joined the Rob Dibble Show to talk about the start of the Major League Baseball season and getting to watch some of his former players on the big stage. He also talks about injuries in the league and some advice he gave some of his former players. He also talks about what he looks for in a player he may be recruiting and provides and update on Elliot Park.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good listen...worth the 18 min. time investment.

>>Head Coach of the UConn Baseball Team, Jim Penders joined the Rob Dibble Show to talk about the start of the Major League Baseball season and getting to watch some of his former players on the big stage. He also talks about injuries in the league and some advice he gave some of his former players. He also talks about what he looks for in a player he may be recruiting and provides and update on Elliot Park.<<

In my view, virtually any interview with Coach Penders is worth listening to.

Reaction Score
In my view, virtually any interview with Coach Penders is worth listening to.

Agreed. The intel on the what’s planned beyond the wall in left field (on the Performance Center) was new info to me...

Reaction Score

Good lord I didn’t know the kid was this big. Probably looks even bigger on a mound!

Reaction Score

>>The fall competition for sports in their non-traditional seasons, which includes baseball, softball, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s lacrosse and men’s and women’s tennis, will not be held.<<

Reaction Score

>>The fall competition for sports in their non-traditional seasons, which includes baseball, softball, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s lacrosse and men’s and women’s tennis, will not be held.<<

Another quote from the above story:

>During the fall months, BIG EAST student-athletes will be allowed to participate in various team activities, such as practices, strength and conditioning sessions, and team meetings, consistent with individual campus policies, public health guidelines and NCAA and Conference regulations.<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom