UConn athletics long-term | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn athletics long-term

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The awful solutions are coming from the UConn fans, not the Villanova fan. I am going to say "I told you so" to you over and over until you, pepband, and the rest of the AAC lovers realize that this conference is catastrophic for UConn athletics.

Great. Another 100 posts where you are too much of a pansy to actually state "drop football."
This conference is catastrophic. Dropping football makes it worse AND permanent.

The next time you offer an actual suggestion will be 1) the first and 2) welcomed with open arms.

Have at it.

Reaction Score
Basketball is a sport where a couple of elite players can put a team into the Final Four....Villanova, Marquette,and Creighton can compete with the big money boys from the SEC and B1G. If you can recruit a few great players, you can play at a high level.

Football, with 22 positions, and 85 scholarships, is much a more difficult a sport in which to compete with the big money schools...a couple of great players won't get you there...not without quality players at the other positions.

There is no question that UConn has competed and can compete in the future at a high level in BB.

In football, there has been some "pull away". Football assistants are now making $1 million, schools like Alabama have 35 on the football staff. Player palaces are being built for players to hang out in, locker rooms look like a fancy men's club and are no longer the metal lockered YMCA look alikes. The weaker P5 programs, grandfathered in, are wake boarding (pun intended) the boats that pull the league.

The only thing that non P5 programs like Cincinnati, UConn and Houston can do...is win football games...and win some big games. Gain national attention as a program that can play and be competitive in a P5 league. And be in position.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The B1G is never happening and I highly doubt the Big 12 as we currently know it would either.

I think there is a good chance that the B1G or SEC makes a play for an ACC team at some point, in which we could be a backfill. Or, the Big 12 as it is currently constructed fragments due to the loss of Texas (and maybe Oklahoma), in which we could be a backfill.

Are the odds of either of those happening great? Who knows.

The key is surviving to at least another potential round of CR and seeing where the chips lie. If that's another 7 years and we eventually have to scale back sports, particularly football, then so be it.

Throwing the towel in now for what amounts to a short term marginal gain isn't the right play.

Reaction Score
If the B1G or SEC makes a play for an ACC team, it won't be in the next 10-12 years, I don't think. Until someone actually litigates and beats a GOR, I'll think that ten years from now, still encumbered until 2036, you won;t see an ACC team jump.

Reaction Score
It might be fire, but UConn should never give up the FBS dream. When UConn went to 1A, I was worried that we can't succeed, but we did. After RE left (and I was hateful towards him when he left and I didn't want him to be rehired. I see RE rebuilding us, so I forgave him.), we hired 2 idiots as our head coaches, 1 who had the game pass him by and the other I wouldn't hire him to run a youth flag football team.

Wait what?

Reaction Score
The number of P5 schools is more likely to shrink than it is to grow. You are arguing for investing another $70 million into football for the next 7 years on the off chance that the Big 10 may want to grab us in 2024? And why is the Big 10 more likely to grab us in 2024 after 10 years of mediocrity in a mediocre conference, as opposed to UConn regaining basketball powerhouse status in the Big East and being no worse off in football as an independent? So, in conclusion, your plan guarantees that our basketball program ends up a mid-major while costing an extra $70 million over my plan.

No worse off in football than as an independent? Do you honestly believe this? People rag on The AAC, but programs like UH, USF, UCF, Cincy, Temple, Navy and others all have potential to field good teams. It doesn't mean they all will, but they should provide more than enough competition for a rebuilding Uconn.

Programs like Notre Dame and BYU are having a difficult time filling out schedules as independents. Repeat Notre Dame has a difficult time filling out a schedule as an independent. What can Uconn expect? Do you enjoy the idea of playing home and homes against Liberty or New Mexico State? How bout having zero bowl ties? What about being a paycheck game for big time FBS Programs with zero hope of a return visit? That's the life of a G5 Independent.

People complaining about basketball being held back by The AAC are simply making excuses. The AAC sure as Hell hasn't held The Women's Team back any. Uconn won a national title just 3 years ago in this same conference. Since then they have suffered from a slew of injuries, transfers, and less than stellar coaching at times. If Uconn handles its own business in the manner it is accustomed to, then it shouldn't matter if The AAC is a 3 bid league or a 6-7 one. You'll have one of them. Isn't the whole Uconn Motto that you're bred to win championships? Prove it.

Reaction Score
If the B1G or SEC makes a play for an ACC team, it won't be in the next 10-12 years, I don't think. Until someone actually litigates and beats a GOR, I'll think that ten years from now, still encumbered until 2036, you won;t see an ACC team jump.

The ACC stands as long as Duke and UNC believe in its viability. If the money remains at least on the radar of The B1G and SEC, while its glamour programs are able to compete for championships the league will hold. There will be no real motivation to change. The Big 12 is a horse of a different color altogether. Texas and OU have a dysfunctional love hate relationship where eventually something is going to have to give. We could see this happen in 6 years when the B1G's TV Deal comes due once more.

Reaction Score
Says the dude who spends time designing a graphic for a fictitious conference that includes the likes of JMU and Delaware.
It's not a conference. It is an alliance that eases the scheduling for independents and a marketing alliance that facilitates negotiating for a TV deal. Really the only downside in an alliance is the inability to hold a conference championship game. Otherwise it meets NCAA rules. This would be offset by a rivalry weekend that would be highlighted by the Army-Navy game.

Your lack of understanding of college football is highlighted by your characterization of Notre Dame's schedule.

Notre Dame has a scheduling commitment of 5 games annually with the ACC. Notre Dame plays Stanford, Navy, and USC annually. That's 8, and leaves 4 to schedule.

Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, and Pitt are historic rivals that cycle through their schedule.

Throw in a few home and home agreements like the current Temple and Georgia deals and there is really only one spot on the schedule for a one-off lesser opponent.

Notre Dame does not have a "difficult time" filling out its schedule. UConn might, but Notre Dame doesn't.

If you can't understand the reality of current scheduling in the existing landscape, you have no hope of comprehending what is possible for a future independent alliance.

Reaction Score
There is a reason that former football indies like FSU and Miami, VT, Louisville, Penn State, South Carolina, Pitt, et al joined a conference....

And a reason why BYU is desperate to join the Big 12.

Notre Dame can be somewhat successful as an independent because they have a huge national following, their own NBC contract...and yet they still are encumbered with playing five ACC games a year. They needed that stability of schedule.

Sure...Delaware and UMass make money by being schedule fodder for the occasional P5 program (like VT this year for Delaware). It gives the Blue Hens a break from playing Cornell, Stony Brook, Albany, Towson, etc. And UMass will augment their revenue by playing away @Tennessee and Miss State.

I don't think that there is a national audience, and thus media money, for watching a group of indy programs from the backside of the power curve

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It's not a conference. It is an alliance that eases the scheduling for independents and a marketing alliance that facilitates negotiating for a TV deal. Really the only downside in an alliance is the inability to hold a conference championship game. Otherwise it meets NCAA rules. This would be offset by a rivalry weekend that would be highlighted by the Army-Navy game.

Your lack of understanding of college football is highlighted by your characterization of Notre Dame's schedule.

Notre Dame has a scheduling commitment of 5 games annually with the ACC. Notre Dame plays Stanford, Navy, and USC annually. That's 8, and leaves 4 to schedule.

Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, and Pitt are historic rivals that cycle through their schedule.

Throw in a few home and home agreements like the current Temple and Georgia deals and there is really only one spot on the schedule for a one-off lesser opponent.

Notre Dame does not have a "difficult time" filling out its schedule. UConn might, but Notre Dame doesn't.

If you can't understand the reality of current scheduling in the existing landscape, you have no hope of comprehending what is possible for a future independent alliance.

How can the group you have listed make money on a media contract? The only benefit of the group you have listed is the ease of scheduling teams close to you. There is no building a program with the teams you have listed. The media money would be very small. I'm not sure where these benefits you didn't list are coming from?

Reaction Score
How can the group you have listed make money on a media contract? The only benefit of the group you have listed is the ease of scheduling teams close to you. There is no building a program with the teams you have listed. The media money would be very small. I'm not sure where these benefits you didn't list are coming from?
Small compared to P5. Huge compared to AAC.

Don't confuse this hypothetical alliance with the P5. It is a step down and always will be. If UConn gets a P5 bid someday, it is a "riding the coattails" opportunity like Rutgers, BC, VT, or Wake. UConn is not driving anything in football. UConn is scratching lottery tickets.

In the meantime, you could have the hoops programs in a Top 3 basketball conference. Hoops is the Flagship program at UConn. Take care of Hoops first, and find your way outside the P5 in FBS until (IF) the lottery ticket hits.

Reaction Score

Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, and Pitt are historic rivals that cycle through their schedule..

Notre Dame is in the ACC *because* they have/had difficulty with their schedule. That was the point. Scheduling as an independent is very difficult. Purdue, Michigan and Michigan State schedules have all been disrupted with the Big Ten's 9 (5-4, 4-5) game conference schedule and ND's (3-2, 2-3) ACC commitments.

For Notre Dame, it's about TV (night games) and a viable path to the National Championship. With the P5 keeping more games in-conference, figuring out how to fill the mid-to-end portion of the schedule is getting more and more difficult. For other schools, it's all about home games. The gate pays the bills and you have to both maximize the number of home games and the number of games that will pack the stands. A million dollar (or more) swing in the budget each year will wreak havoc on the bean counters.

In addition to ND's ACC deal, the Pac 12 grandfathered USC and Stanford an exemption to play ND on weeks when they would otherwise be expected to play conference games. Not many independents get that type of special consideration.

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
Small compared to P5. Huge compared to AAC.

Don't confuse this hypothetical alliance with the P5. It is a step down and always will be. If UConn gets a P5 bid someday, it is a "riding the coattails" opportunity like Rutgers, BC, VT, or Wake. UConn is not driving anything in football. UConn is scratching lottery tickets.

In the meantime, you could have the hoops programs in a Top 3 basketball conference. Hoops is the Flagship program at UConn. Take care of Hoops first, and find your way outside the P5 in FBS until (IF) the lottery ticket hits.

I didn't confuse this alliance with a P5. I wouldn't confuse this alliance with the MAC. Either you play football or you don't. If you are playing football, you stay in the AAC and try to build your program. If you aren't, than a Big East invite makes sense.

Lastly, has there been confirmation that the Big East has any interest in UConn?

Reaction Score
You continue to miss the point... it's a worthless discussion to beat home until any of the scenarios are actual deals presented as real options (which I believe will never see the light of day in real life). You have no actual clue right now what the deals would be financially other than your opinion which you continue to posture and beat home as reality. We can throw out numbers to the proverbial cows come home to make the deals seems like they could never be turned down - but they are still made up numbers on a sports message board by anonymous posters. I get that you have spent quite a bit of time developing your model... I'm just not buying it (and frankly - tire of seeing it which is what provoked a response this time).
I think we're all missing the point. UConn to P5 is a wet pipe dream. I'd love nothing else than to see it in my life time, but it isn't going to happen. When (or rather if) the Big 12 implodes those teams will be sucked up by the rest of the P5 and we'll have a P4 to deal with. It's just not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is in the ACC *because* they have/had difficulty with their schedule.

Notre Dame is in the ACC because the ACC allows them to have a home for hoops and all other sports without requiring a football membership. The 5 games to the ACC is as much of a concession to the ACC as it is a convenience to ND.

Reaction Score
Either you play football or you don't. If you are playing football, you stay in the AAC and try to build your program. If you aren't, than a Big East invite makes sense.

If you want to ignore all other options and simplify it to AAC or dropping football, that's fine if it makes you feel better. In reality there are other options.

Lastly, has there been confirmation that the Big East has any interest in UConn?

The Big East and UConn had some talks earlier this year. The talks were leaked and disavowed, but I'm quite certain they happened. It's likely more careful communication continues.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If you want to ignore all other options and simplify it to AAC or dropping football, that's fine if it makes you feel better. In reality there are other options.

There no other options if you want to grow your football team. The "alliance" that you propose will only set UConn football back. Playing teams that are that regional will hold back what UConn football can become. Connecticut has some decent football talent and if UConn can keep that talent in state, they can really improve. That local talent isn't going to want to play against JMU, Villanova or most of the schools in your alliance. Playing in the AAC allows you to play in front of larger schools in football areas. Football on national TV is a big thing for these schools. The "alliance" doesn't do that. It doesn't get you playing on national TV unless you are a sacrificial lamb. Playing in the AAC gets you several games on national TV. I watched UConn play Houston on ESPN last year.

If you want to downgrade football, than your plan would work great. If I were a UConn fan and thats what was happening, I would want the Big East. It looks like UConn isn't downgrading their football, though. That makes the AAC their only option.

Reaction Score
There no other options if you want to grow your football team. The "alliance" that you propose will only set UConn football back. Playing teams that are that regional will hold back what UConn football can become. Connecticut has some decent football talent and if UConn can keep that talent in state, they can really improve. That local talent isn't going to want to play against JMU, Villanova or most of the schools in your alliance. Playing in the AAC allows you to play in front of larger schools in football areas. Football on national TV is a big thing for these schools. The "alliance" doesn't do that. It doesn't get you playing on national TV unless you are a sacrificial lamb. Playing in the AAC gets you several games on national TV. I watched UConn play Houston on ESPN last year.

If you want to downgrade football, than your plan would work great. If I were a UConn fan and thats what was happening, I would want the Big East. It looks like UConn isn't downgrading their football, though. That makes the AAC their only option.
good luck with that

Reaction Score

How much PCP do you have to smoke to convince yourself that a loose confederation of hot garbage teams is suddenly going to command more money than an actual real conference with real football being played in it?

Zissou- "Hello Mr. ESPN Exec, we're The Alliance and we're shopping for a new TV Deal."

ESPN- "Interesting. Who's in your group?"

Zissou- Villanova, Devry University, The Art Institute of Philadelphia, Hogwarts, Hamburger University, Delaware..."

ESPN- "Wait did you say Delaware?"

Zissou- "Yes, they will be involved."

ESPN- "Sold."

Zissou be like

4.jpg

Reaction Score
How much PCP do you have to smoke to convince yourself that a loose confederation of hot garbage teams is suddenly going to command more money than an actual real conference with real football being played in it?

Zissou- "Hello Mr. ESPN Exec, we're The Alliance and we're shopping for a new TV Deal."

ESPN- "Interesting. Who's in your group?"

Your first mistake in the above post (you have made many prior) would be to think that ESPN is your answer. They have AAC content for next to nothing and wouldn't want to undermine that. They helped break up the Big East when it wasn't under ESPN contract. An ESPN competitor would be the better facilitator. Think Fox / CBS.

"The old Big East was undermined by the greedy PCP smoking Catholic schools who thought basketball had value in a football dominated landscape". And then the new Big East lands $4M to $5M for basketball only, and the American lands $1.4M for football. That is your reality.

"Haters gonna hate" is your motto, right? I did not realize you were defining your own role at first. You have no clue about the current landscape. There is no way you have the capacity to contemplate future scenarios that require change.

Reaction Score
2016-17 Sagarin AAC
Tulsa #29
USF #32
JMU (as FCS) #33
Temple #43
Memphis #50
Houston #56
Navy #61
UCF #86
SMU #92
Nova (as FCS) #106
Tulane #109
Cincinnati #117
E Carolina #118
UConn #154

Reaction Score
"Haters gonna hate" is your motto, right? I did not realize you were defining your own role at first. You have no clue about the current landscape. There is no way you have the capacity to contemplate future scenarios that require change.

The wonderful thing about your posts is how you could copy and paste them in response to any random post and nobody would know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom