UConn athletics long-term | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn athletics long-term

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Your first mistake in the above post (you have made many prior) would be to think that ESPN is your answer. They have AAC content for next to nothing and wouldn't want to undermine that. They helped break up the Big East when it wasn't under ESPN contract. An ESPN competitor would be the better facilitator. Think Fox / CBS.

"The old Big East was undermined by the greedy PCP smoking Catholic schools who thought basketball had value in a football dominated landscape". And then the new Big East lands $4M to $5M for basketball only, and the American lands $1.4M for football. That is your reality.

"Haters gonna hate" is your motto, right? I did not realize you were defining your own role at first. You have no clue about the current landscape. There is no way you have the capacity to contemplate future scenarios that require change.

Please answer this question, will your alliance/Big East method give the exposure that UConn needs? If UConn wants to be a national university, can they promote their brand through FS2 and the regional Fox Sports broadcasts? Your alliance won't be on FS1 much and, except for possibly regional channels, won't be on broadcast channels either. I have seen UConn football several times on both ESPN and ESPN2 here in Michigan. Sure they were Thursday night games, but UConn's brand was nation wide. With Big10 games coming to Fox (they won't have any on FS2), other conference games will be pushed there. Remember, they have partial contracts with the Big12 and the Pac.

College athletics isn't just about making money. It's also about promotion of their brands. It's why ESPN is so desired by schools, it promotes their brands to sports recruits and general students recruits. I may not completely understand East coast mentality, but I do have family that is from there (Massachusetts to be exact) and we have talked about the differences between college education here in the Midwest and Northeast. Basically, it comes down to public vs private. They never looked at a public school for undergrad, never even considered or applied to one. Where UConn wants to go, they need to bring in students from all over the nation. They have the opportunity to become even bigger than they are now, but they need to continue promoting their brand nationwide. Football is the key to do that.

dayooper

Reaction Score
2016-17 Sagarin AAC
Tulsa #29
USF #32
JMU (as FCS) #33
Temple #43
Memphis #50
Houston #56
Navy #61
UCF #86
SMU #92
Nova (as FCS) #106
Tulane #109
Cincinnati #117
E Carolina #118
UConn #154

We have been over this. In JMU's only game against an FBS school, they got trounced by Sagarin's 31st rated team, UNC 56-28. So you are telling me that the difference between 31 and 33 in Sagarin's ratings are worth 28 points?

That being said, you are naive if you think this is all about playing highly rated Sagarin teams. It's about exposure and playing nationally known teams. Almost all of the teams in the AAC are more well known than your Alliance teams. The average football fan has no clue that JMU even exists or that Villanova has a football team. They know that Houston, UCF, SMU, Memphis and Navy have one.

Reaction Score
Please answer this question, will your alliance/Big East method give the exposure that UConn needs? If UConn wants to be a national university, can they promote their brand through FS2 and the regional Fox Sports broadcasts? Your alliance won't be on FS1 much and, except for possibly regional channels, won't be on broadcast channels either. I have seen UConn football several times on both ESPN and ESPN2 here in Michigan. Sure they were Thursday night games, but UConn's brand was nation wide. With Big10 games coming to Fox (they won't have any on FS2), other conference games will be pushed there. Remember, they have partial contracts with the Big12 and the Pac.

College athletics isn't just about making money. It's also about promotion of their brands. It's why ESPN is so desired by schools, it promotes their brands to sports recruits and general students recruits. I may not completely understand East coast mentality, but I do have family that is from there (Massachusetts to be exact) and we have talked about the differences between college education here in the Midwest and Northeast. Basically, it comes down to public vs private. They never looked at a public school for undergrad, never even considered or applied to one. Where UConn wants to go, they need to bring in students from all over the nation. They have the opportunity to become even bigger than they are now, but they need to continue promoting their brand nationwide. Football is the key to do that.
You have no clue

Reaction Score
We have been over this. In JMU's only game against an FBS school, they got trounced by Sagarin's 31st rated team, UNC 56-28. So you are telling me that the difference between 31 and 33 in Sagarin's ratings are worth 28 points?

That being said, you are naive if you think this is all about playing highly rated Sagarin teams. It's about exposure and playing nationally known teams. Almost all of the teams in the AAC are more well known than your Alliance teams. The average football fan has no clue that JMU even exists or that Villanova has a football team. They know that Houston, UCF, SMU, Memphis and Navy have one.
You have no clue. You are stuck on JMU as defining the Alliance - it's one team.

Eastern Carolina...
Tulane...

Sagarin is only one measure, but surely more statistically important than one game. I say this knowing that you won't understand the statistical significance of one data point, but others will. Nelson is smart enough to get it. The University of Michigan failed you.

dayooper

Reaction Score
You have no clue. You are stuck on JMU as defining the Alliance - it's one team.

Eastern Carolina...
Tulane...

Sagarin is only one measure, but surely more statistically important than one game. I say this knowing that you won't understand the statistical significance of one data point, but others will. Nelson is smart enough to get it. The University of Michigan failed you.

Apparently you don't understand the significance of one data point as that's all you are using. One ranking is not statistically correct.

I understand that's the only combined ranking you are listing. The UNC - JMU game is the only FBS game JMU played.

Reaction Score
2016-17 Sagarin AAC
Tulsa #29
USF #32
JMU (as FCS) #33
Temple #43
Memphis #50
Houston #56
Navy #61
UCF #86
SMU #92
Nova (as FCS) #106
Tulane #109
Cincinnati #117
E Carolina #118
UConn #154

Geez, I think w/ a Sagarin like that over a couple of years a team would make a coaching change...

Reaction Score
Apparently you don't understand the significance of one data point as that's all you are using. One ranking is not statistically correct.

I understand that's the only combined ranking you are listing. The UNC - JMU game is the only FBS game JMU played.

That's Rich! Beautiful. You think all of the data crunching that Jeff Sagarin does for the rankings is one data point. The U of M failed you, or you it.

Reaction Score
LOL...

JMU played a schedule that Sagarin ranks as #152...did not play a team in regular season that Sagarin ranked in the Top 100 except for North Carolina (which routed JMU).

Gaudy win record for JMU...but signifying nothing...because as the song says..nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'.

And you got to have somethin' to be with me.

Reaction Score
Here is the problem with FCS and Sagarin....

JMU and UNC were fairly closely ranked....but UNC whipped JMU by 26 points...

BUT VEGAS KNEW THE DIFFERENCE...UNC was favored by 24.5

Reaction Score
and now, fer gawd's sake, we have Liberty transitioning to FBS as an independent....what are they thinking? We can be UMass?

JMU, and probably rightly, would rather be the king fish in the small pond than bait in the ocean.

dayooper

Reaction Score
That's Rich! Beautiful. You think all of the data crunching that Jeff Sagarin does for the rankings is one data point. The U of M failed you, or you it.

Yes, it is one data point in the large scheme of things. When the BCS was in effect, they used six computer rankings, with Sagarin being one of them.

Yet, this is all you can come up with? Changing the subject and claiming that the Sagarin system is the be all end all of college football rankings and chastising me on not thinking they are? You still haven't addressed any of the points or questions above. How are you going to get East Carolina and Tulane into your Alliance? The whole point of your Alliance was to get UConn a place for their football while they go to the Big East for all other sports. Why would the Big East want East Carolina and Tulane? How does that add to their media package?

I've stopped feeding the troll. Dayooper and Huskymedic still giving it the old college try though. I give you fellas props for your stamina... ;)

When you first started here, I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now, I agree with UConnDan97 and others seeing you as a troll. As soon as you started throwing insults, you outed yourself as a troll. You confirmed it when you tried to get a rise out of me by your insults. You further confirmed it when you refused to answer any of my questions on your points, only twisting what I said to fit your insults. If you are trying to get these people on your side, you are really suck at it. When most of the UConn people here think you are a troll, you have failed.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is one data point in the large scheme of things.

I'm prepared for a civil intelligent discussion. But I am not going to be bullied without pushing back, especially from such an ignorant level.

Go ahead and read the context of my posts and responses.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I'm prepared for a civil intelligent discussion. But I am not going to be bullied without pushing back, especially from such an ignorant level.

I did read the contexts of your posts and they lack responses to my specific questions. You keep using the same couple of responses to any questioning of your plan. When the questioning continues, you then fall back to insults, still not answering specific questions. When called out on said insults, you now claim you are a victim of bullying when, in fact you have been an antagonist to anybody who disagrees with your point. Let see how you were bullied:

Eastern Carolina...
Tulane...

You have no clue

Those three are just the ones directed at me on this page alone. You derided me for fixating on JMU when earlier JMU was important to your plan. Besides UConn, please let me know who I should be fixating on (and I hope it's not East Carolina and Tulane).

The only insult I threw at you was calling you a troll and saying your method of getting people to agree with you sucked. That was after you threw the above insults at me.

Evidence of you being a troll:

1. Come in with an idea and act somewhat civil
  2. Claim your way is better than everybody else's
  3. Not answer people's specific questions, but give vague answers that won't take away from your point but don't really address the questions asked
  4. Bring up one data point and expect everyone to agree that it ends the discussion
  5. Become belligerent to anybody who doesn't agree with their points
  6. Start claiming that those that don't agree with them, I'm paraphrasing here, aren't intelligent enough to understand. That's what "you don't have a clue means," correct?
  7. Start throwing insults trying to get a rise out of whomever they are having a "discussion" with. That's what claiming someone's "education failed" or "I failed it" was trying to do, correct?
  8. Still not answering direct questions, say I already answered those points, when they didn't, and accuse those questioning of not reading the context of the posts
  9. Claim they are trying to have a civil a discussion when they are the ones being belligerent and throwing insults
  10. Pull the victim card claiming they were bullied when in fact, they were the one throwing insults
Yup, this is straight out of the troll handbook.

If you want a civil discussion, try being civil to those you want the discussion with.

Last edited:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Your idea is heartfelt but it's a crap idea. When will you get it? Just because you keep promoting it doesn't mean that we are going to suddenly start believing it can work. It won't. So either stop whining about it being criticized or stop talkin about it.

Reaction Score
All of your suggestions are bad. Bye Felicia.
Do you add this little value in all areas of your life?
I see the Mothership didn't find you.
You clearly don't get it.
How much PCP do you have to smoke to convince yourself...

So Dayooper, I think I unfairly lumped you in with the greater DB comments on the thread unfairly and I owe you an apology for snapping back specifically at you. I apologize. I should have better read the context of your comments.

So first - Sagarin takes into account statistics for a whole season. It is one set of data, but it is compiled by many data points. One regular season game is much less of a team's measure. That said, it is very difficult for a FCS team to keep up with a FBS team for an entire game. Size and depth differential especially wear down a FCS team. The Jump for a JMU to AAC level is not so great with 2 years of FBS recruiting.

Clearly a ACC or B1G invite is the dream. But if P5 is not in the cards ever or in the short term, the question is what is the better spot for UConn? The American or The Big East?

There are a few things to think about. "College athletics isn't just about making money." But Money Is Important. The better programs, and certainly the P5, either make money or cover costs. To compete at a high level money needs to be competitive. State funding is a risk with the current condition of financing. UConn needs a better TV contract. It isn't prudent to dismiss the funding of athletics.

"Will your alliance/Big East method give the exposure that UConn needs? If UConn wants to be a national university, can they promote their brand through FS2 and the regional Fox Sports broadcasts? Your alliance won't be on FS1 much and, except for possibly regional channels, won't be on broadcast channels either."

UConn's national exposure comes from Basketball first. You can compete for championships in basketball. That is where you have earned your status, and that is where you have the best potential. Football at FBS helps the cause, but really playing mid level football in a G5 conference is not your lead selling point, even if it's on ESPN. ESPN is getting smaller and Aresco has indicated he is very interested in other directions. UConn may not even be on ESPN in the future. The Big East on Fox/CBS has been good for the conference. Recruiting numbers for the conference have been solid. Recruits know that all of their games are on national TV. Ratings are honestly lower in a start-up channel, but the $$$ and broad coverage of all games are the positive offset.

Being in the 6th best football conference and the 7th or 8th best basketball conference is your current package deal. $1.4M for football and $0.4M for basketball.

Being in the 2nd or 3rd best basketball conference for your flagship program, at $5M per year, and taking your chances on the independent football path is the another option if football did not stay in the AAC.

To be clear, I advocate UConn going Big East AND staying in the AAC for football. I think that can be negotiated. The fallback position is football independence.

Then the question becomes "independent like Liberty and UMass?" Sort of, and also like BYU and Army. It would be better than "just independent" if some regional East Coast footprint schools were independent together in an Alliance. Sure, no CCG, but that is not the biggest priority. An Alliance is better for growing rivalries (this is a huge issue that many look past - who are UConn's rivals???), scheduling, and to market a TV deal.

The Big East provides a top conference with regional rivals and TV coverage that helps recruiting. It can provide probably 3X more than what your football TV deal is worth. The risk on football is already covered.

Reaction Score
I am tired of Zissou and his same ol, same ol. Posters should stop responding to his posts and let him talk to himself. He is going on ignore.
Which part are you tired of? UConn can be Great Again.

Reaction Score
So we now have a Nova fan & 2 Michigan fans arguing over the benefits of James Madison football on the Boneyard???!!!

I guess this is what CR has become for UConn fans
At least there is only one direction to from rock bottom.

Reaction Score
Please explain to me how I have no clue. I would love to learn from someone as great as you.

Just deal with it. Not everyone can be smart enough to come up with something as stupid as The Alliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom