UConn athletics long-term | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn athletics long-term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's what you prioritize. You put football first, so you hate the idea of the Big East.

If you put basketball first, playing in the top 2 or 3 conference would matter.

Your UConn basketball heritage is top rate. Football, not so much.

I'd say hoping that you'll be a football power is a nitwit idea. Especially at the expense of basketball.

You live in a very simple world.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's what you prioritize. You put football first, so you hate the idea of the Big East.

I'd say hoping that you'll be a football power is a nitwit idea. Especially at the expense of basketball.

That's perfectly fine for schools with P5 aspirations, because basketball is meaningless in that discussion. We don't have to be a football power, we just have to be competitive. We have already proven we can be competitive. We did it at the BCS level, going to the Fiesta Bowl and finishing another season in the BCS Top 25.

Otherwise, we will end up on the ship of lost fools with Villanova and all the other schools that don't play football with the big boys, playing for some lesser level championships while the P5 schools form their own collegiate association. How many folks do you think are gonna be watching when Villanova plays Dubuque for whatever the NCAA BB championship is called, while Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA are playing for the real big boy collegiate BB championship? Enjoy it.

Reaction Score
How many folks do you think are gonna be watching when Villanova plays Dubuque for whatever the NCAA BB championship is called, while Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA are playing for the real big boy collegiate BB championship?
But I thought the appeal of the NCAA tournament was because of the little guys, the underdogs, getting a shot?

Reaction Score
That's perfectly fine for schools with P5 aspirations, because basketball is meaningless in that discussion. We don't have to be a football power, we just have to be competitive. We have already proven we can be competitive. We did it at the BCS level, going to the Fiesta Bowl and finishing another season in the BCS Top 25.

Otherwise, we will end up on the ship of lost fools with Villanova and all the other schools that don't play football with the big boys, playing for some lesser level championships while the P5 schools form their own collegiate association. How many folks do you think are gonna be watching when Villanova plays Dubuque for whatever the NCAA BB championship is called, while Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA are playing for the real big boy collegiate BB championship? Enjoy it.
I don't see it happening. You are chasing P5, which probably won't happen, to protect your basketball team from being excluded from a break away tournament, which probably won't happen, as a justification to stay in a Texas - South East G5 conference that is top 7 in basketball.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I don't see it happening. You are chasing P5, which probably won't happen, to protect your basketball team from being excluded from a break away tournament, which probably won't happen, as a justification to stay in a Texas - South East G5 conference that is top 7 in basketball.

That may or may not be true, but if we want to guarantee we'll get left out of the P5, aligning our football program with a bunch of mid major and lesser eastern nobodies will do the trick. I'd prefer to take our chances in the best G5 football conference there is. The Big 10 still considers us a P5 level program for scheduling purposes. They would not continue to feel that way if our football team starts playing the likes of Towson State in some half assed association of schools.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
But I thought the appeal of the NCAA tournament was because of the little guys, the underdogs, getting a shot?

That's only for the fans. The NCAA is all about making money for itself and its members. Don't kid yourself. The major schools will break away from the NCAA once they perceive they're going to be sharing a lot smaller slice of the pie in general by sharing tournament revenue with the directional Oshkosh States of the world. They'll want to keep a larger slice of the shrinking revenue pie. It has already started.

Reaction Score
College hockey is proof that such a split probably won't happen in our lifetimes.

Reaction Score

The Big Least is not a top 2 or 3 basketball conference.

Reaction Score
That's only for the fans. The NCAA is all about making money for itself and its members. Don't kid yourself. The major schools will break away from the NCAA once they perceive they're going to be sharing a lot smaller slice of the pie in general by sharing tournament revenue with the directional Oshkosh States of the world. They'll want to keep a larger slice of the shrinking revenue pie. It has already started.
If that was true, then why would they want to invite UConn in or anyone else, and dilute their share?

UConnNick

Reaction Score
If that was true, then why would they want to invite UConn in or anyone else, and dilute their share?

Because UConn brings more value from a competitive and market share standpoint than several of the current P5 members, including BS College, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and a few others. These are schools that do not deliver market share, competitiveness, or both, sort of like Villanova and the other collection of schools you think should form some ridiculous football league. Why do you want UConn to join your little association if you think we only "dilute their share"? You can't argue that you want us but nobody else ever would.

Reaction Score
Because UConn brings more value from a competitive and market share standpoint than several of the current P5 members, including BS College, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and a few others. These are schools that do not deliver market share, competitiveness, or both, sort of like Villanova and the other collection of schools you think should form some ridiculous football league. Why do you want UConn to join your little association if you think we only "dilute their share"? You can't argue that you want us but nobody else ever would.
I'd take UConn for a basketball member of a basketball first conference.

The P5 is a football term for football first conferences. Whether UConn is a better conference member than Vandy is highly debatable, but even if UConn is better than the lowest levels of P5, is that your selling point? "We are better than the worst team in your conference?"

If they are looking at adding value vs. dilution, you better be at least as good as the average team in the conference. Teams like Cal, ASU, Kentucky, Texas A&M, TCU, Indiana, Maryland, NC State, Pitt, etc.

You may be closer to Towson.

Why would a P5 conference want to dilute down its average if they just "want to keep a larger slice of the shrinking revenue pie".

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I'd take UConn for a basketball member of a basketball first conference.

The P5 is a football term for football first conferences. Whether UConn is a better conference member than Vandy is highly debatable, but even if UConn is better than the lowest levels of P5, is that your selling point? "We are better than the worst team in your conference?"

If they are looking at adding value vs. dilution, you better be at least as good as the average team in the conference. Teams like Cal, ASU, Kentucky, Texas A&M, TCU, Indiana, Maryland, NC State, Pitt, etc.

You may be closer to Towson.

Why would a P5 conference want to dilute down its average if they just "want to keep a larger slice of the shrinking revenue pie".

If we're Towson then Vanillanova is New Jersey Institute of Technology.

Look, you obviously have no clue what you're talking about, as evidenced by your ridiculously incorrect P5 comment and many others. I shouldn't have bothered engaging you in any attempt at rational discussion because you don't know the meaning of the word rational. That was my mistake, and I should have known better. You're nothing but a troll and I'm done. Have your last word because I know you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom