UConn Assist Record - Nika | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn Assist Record - Nika

Reaction Score
This is who this kid is
FqA0s5qWcAIoJaV.jpeg
As always team first (Nika prior to last night): “Now that I’m so close to beating her record, I respect [Sue Bird] so much more, because this is tough, man,” Mühl said on Saturday. “It depends on so [many] things, like she was such a great passer. So first of all, just huge respect for her.

“I mean, it means a lot. I really like this group of people, my teammates, and I feel like it means even more because it’s kind of like a team award. Assists, you have to pass but somebody has to make a basket. … I try not to think about it, but I hope it’s gonna happen in Gampel in front of our home crowd. That would be amazing. But just respect for Sue. I feel like this is a tough thing to do, it really is. I never understood how tough it is.”

Does this look like a kid celebrating herself?
FqDw-ooXwAIUx_S.jpeg
Even in becoming the the all-time Uconn single season assist leader there is still her real goals in front of her. Her team is not playing how they need to and you can be sure, she will do whatever she can to be part of righting the ship for hopefully a real celebration after the final victory to close out a, while extremely challenging and at times disappointing, tremendous season! Love her to death.

Reaction Score
That is the combination I would like to see. It would appear that Nika's assists per minute would increase with those two to pass to. On the other hand with more dominant wins, I expect Nika's minutes to decrease somewhat, and she may share some of the ballhandling responsibilities with Paige.

Between Nika and Paige we will have two great passers on the floor most of the time, and Nika should benefit more offensively as well, with more open 3pt looks with the attention Paige and Azzi will draw, and of course being on the receiving end of some great passes from Paige. Nika may not scare any opponents with her overall scoring, but her shooting of open 3's has been pretty decent.
I agree. Although she will not be playing heavy minutes like this year. Paige will get her lions share as well.

Reaction Score
This is who this kid is View attachment 84500 As always team first (Nika prior to last night): “Now that I’m so close to beating her record, I respect [Sue Bird] so much more, because this is tough, man,” Mühl said on Saturday. “It depends on so [many] things, like she was such a great passer. So first of all, just huge respect for her.

“I mean, it means a lot. I really like this group of people, my teammates, and I feel like it means even more because it’s kind of like a team award. Assists, you have to pass but somebody has to make a basket. … I try not to think about it, but I hope it’s gonna happen in Gampel in front of our home crowd. That would be amazing. But just respect for Sue. I feel like this is a tough thing to do, it really is. I never understood how tough it is.”

Does this look like a kid celebrating herself? View attachment 84502 Even in becoming the the all-time Uconn single season assist leader there is still her real goals in front of her. Her team is not playing how they need to and you can be sure, she will do whatever she can to be part of righting the ship for hopefully a real celebration after the final victory to close out a, while extremely challenging and at times disappointing, tremendous season! Love her to death.
We all do.

Reaction Score
And to think what some posters said before the season started about her.
Some still say pretty bad things about her... for example, recently one poster stated she uses more energy complaining to the Referees than she does at trying to get baskets or play defense... I Paraphrase because I don't have the exact quote handy. To that, I say... WHAT??? For one example of her energy on defense...in last night's game... late in the 2nd quarter, Xavier's PG drove toward the lane... maybe half way toward the hoop going to her right...Nika was a gnat...right in her face impeding her from going further... the Xavier PG shifted to go left...again Nika was a gnat...right in her face, body to body...NOT fouling... the PG got frustrated and passed the ball off to a teammate. I laughed when I saw the reaction of the Xavier PG at Nika's tenacity. Reminded me of Caitlin Clark's comment in the huddle during our game vs Iowa... "I got this girl in my face all the time...I need someone to get her off me." or words to that effect.

She was a great find by Geno... AND has been a VERY valuable piece of the UCONN Team this year; especially given Paige's injury in preseason.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
I believe Nika to be one if not the most underrated UConn Women's players ever...and dare I also include Most improved from freshman year to Junior...Hats off to Nika..and don't forget she hardly ever gets time off to recharge her motor during games!!!!

Reaction Score
With the initials “CD” immortalized as the answer to the future trivia question, “Who hit the record breaking NM assist shot”?

Reaction Score
Nika Mühl is on track to far surpass Sue Bird’s UConn WBB record of 231 assists in a single season before the NCAA tournament even begins.

Sue Bird in 2001-02 recorded 231 assists and 93 turnovers for 2.48 assist/TO ratio.
Nika this season has 154 assists 58 turnovers for 2.66 assist/turnover ratio.
I’m not saying Nika is better or worse. Just showing that for the amount of assists that Nika dishes out, her assist/turnover ratio is also pretty darn good. Not sure how many minutes Sue played vs. Nika.

Nika has 154 Assists with 13 games left in the regular season (if she can keep up her average of (currently 9.3)) will come out to 274 (totally obliterating Sue Bird's (Ironically #10) 231.

Disclaimer: This information was found on Facebook, it is NOT original.
My issue with this is that for the record Sue set in 2001-2, that TEAM had (as of this morning) 265 more assists, and Diana herself had over 200 also. Nika's record is skewed by being virtually the only ballhandler. Not trying to diminish it, but I just don't see them in the same category.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
My issue with this is that for the record Sue set in 2001-2, that TEAM had (as of this morning) 265 more assists, and Diana herself had over 200 also. Nika's record is skewed by being virtually the only ballhandler. Not trying to diminish it, but I just don't see them in the same category.
Oh Man!
You must have had to dig deep to come up with this attempt to diminish UConn's women's basketball all time season leader.

Ignored.

Reaction Score
"Not trying to diminish it"... but that's exactly what you are doing.

Like Maris hitting 61 homers in 1961 and people diminishing it because Ruth hit his 60 in a shorter season. Of course it took over 50 years to break Maris' record.
Just be happy for Nika AND her Teammates!
SMH

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If Nika had Paige and/or Azzi for the entire season she would have had even more assists. Actually without Diana, there is good chance Sue does not get 200 assists let alone 231, since a great number of her assists went to Diana. It was harder for Nika not having all the firepower that Sue had around her including the GOAT.

Reaction Score
If Nika had Paige and/or Azzi for the entire season she would have had even more assists. Actually without Diana, there is good chance Sue does not get 200 assists let alone 231, since a great number of her assists went to Diana. It was harder for Nika not having all the firepower that Sue had around her including the GOAT.
If Paige were playing, Nika would have nowhere near as many assists, or PT.

Reactions: PvP

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Nika could have 50 more assists if we were better at making layups. We led the nation in FG percentage by about 2 percentage points (at 52%) roughly a month ago. We are now 3rd (49.5%) and headed in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
If Paige were playing, Nika would have nowhere near as many assists, or PT.
Your opinion. We'll see next season. Paige isn't playing this season, Nika is and she is now the all time season assist leader at Uconn wcbb - that's the topic of this thread. Perhaps you didn't notice but Nika broke an over 20 year record, a lot of great point guards came through the program over those two decades. Give the kid her due. We'll have plenty of time to speculate about what Paige and Nika will due next season after this one is over. For the record I think Paige, Nika and Azzi will be an exceptional guard trio with plenty of assists to go around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your opinion. We'll see next season. Paige isn't playing this season, Nika is and she is now the all time season assist leader at Uconn wcbb - that's the topic of this thread. Perhaps you didn't notice but Nika broke an over 20 year record, a lot of great point guards came through the program over those two decades. Give the kid her due. We'll have plenty of time to speculate about what Paige and Nika will due next season after this one is over. For the record I think Paige, Nika and Azzi will be an exceptional guard trio with plenty of assists to go around.
I have given her deserved due many times, #12in21, but you should note my post was in response to svcbeercats' post that if Nika had Paige and Azzi to play with for a whole season, she'd have even more assists...

I agree with you that the assists would be spread around, hence, Nika would have less.:) That's certainly not a bad thing. The team would be the better for it, right?

Reaction Score
I have given her deserved due many times, #12in21, but you should note my post was in response to svcbeercats' post that if Nika had Paige and Azzi to play with for a whole season, she'd have even more assists...

I agree with you that the assists would be spread around, hence, Nika would have less.:) That's certainly not a bad thing. The team would be the better for it, right?
No argument as to the team being better with Paige, Nika and Azzi all available. There can be little doubt that team assists would be much higher than this season in that scenario. In 2001-02 Sue and Diane combined for 439 assists. That would be something to aspire to for Paige and Nika. Good company to keep while being only the second pair of teammates to have =/+ 200 assists in the same season.

Nika this season has raised her point production and lowered her fouling, which were two areas that many Boneyarders noted preseason were paramount. At the same time she has raised her number of assists per game way beyond anyone's anticipation. She currently holds 4 of the top 8 assist/game performances (15 alone, 14 tied with Paige and 2x-13 tied w/three others).

The potential of Nika consistently doing what she does best (which is what Geno always cites as what they want from each player) alongside Paige and Azzi (whose bests may be potentially among the all time Uconn greats) will be a pretty scary trio for an opposition to face. You need to add to that everyone else that will be part of an exceptionally talented and balanced rooster next season and it's not a stretch to believe that Nika and Paige could combine for more than 439 assists and add their names to the record book being the pair the surpassed two of the Goats.

I certainly wouldn't expect Nika, or for that matter anyone, to average 36+ minutes next season so we agree on that. Whether she will have another 200+ assist season is as possible as not. If she does, you can be sure that that bodes well for an exceptional year for Uconn wcbb.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I said it LY, and earlier this year that Nika would lead the nation in assists when she plays between Paige and Azzi. LOL, she almost did it this year without Paige, and with Azzi for only 12 games. I only pray that injuries are gone next year, because that will be our best team since the Stewey era and there is no way they will not win the NC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom