UConn Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doomed-2.jpg

Reaction Score
Most college BB guards and wings can make an uncontested 3 pointer. Even low percentage three point shooters.

A good three point shooter can make them when contested. Bad three shooters usually can’t when contested.

Point being, you can’t just play way off a bad three point shooter. Still have to guard the three point line. Just hedge a little more than usual so that you’re always in position to deny the drive.
Bingo. That is what I wanted UConn to do when they played St. John’s the first game. As defenders u don’t defend them like other teams defend AJax, but back off a little to cut off the drives as the first priority, but be close enough where the shooter can’t feel comfortable to set up slowly and shoot.

caw

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's crazy how little research a lot of their posters did. A team that was once ranked 2nd this year. I'm not saying we are world beaters but a lot of those posters have literally no idea that Andre was a finalist for best defensive player, Adama was a finalist for top Big guy, and we have one of the best shooters in the NCAA and a whole lot of depth. I'm, very scared of this game because athletic teams that can drive have been bad for us this year but their board didn't seem to do any research before posting.

In any case, even though there isn't a player or coach left from the last time the team played Arkansas, I hope our guys return the favor.
Please stop using the word scared. No place for it at this level of competition.

Reaction Score
I give the edge to Arkansas, they been here before and not only that they are used to the West coast. Last year they upset Gonzaga who many had favorite in San Francisco. 2 straight years they have gone to the elite 8 so the experience of going there is there for them. I'm not gonna overreact to 2 games to Iona and St Mary's because neither is a power 5. Arkansas beat 2 programs who have a history of going to the ncaa tournament. Let's not forget before the year many ppl had Arkansas ranked top 3

Reaction Score
How's Davis running around and going through screens? He looks great on ball, but again I've only seen four games.

I have said for the last 3 years Davis is a Tony Allen clone. Great knack for getting between screens and causing turnovers. Smart about knowing the personnel on the floor and whether to go under or over the screen. If a guard plays lose with the ball he's going to knock it loose.

If you want to know how Muss has made back to back Elite 8's and is on the chase for another, It's Devo Davis.

No disrespect to big guys and Sonago is awesome but guards and defense win championships. Kentucky had the reining player of the year down low but their guards didn't show and they got beat, Perdue had Eddy down low but their guards didn't show up and they got beat by FDU. Kansas had great forwards but our guards just ate them up and got them in foul trouble.

In the end Devo and Council win the Kansas game for us. Devo is so good at contorting his body to protect the ball and somebody is likely going to foul him if they want a shot to block the ball. Go look at his 21 in the second half against Kansas. 1 three. The rest were just getting downhill and getting fouled.

Council is built like a tank. Arms look like a linebacker more than a guard and he's fast. He gets downhill and its a battle to stop him.

That's why I think this is going to be an awesome game. Two good sets of guards on the court and it's going to be a battle of who wants it more.

Everybody overlooks Arkansas because of their struggles all season but the lineup Muss went back to is the one that finally figured it out and was 6-1 over 7 games (Only loss was @Baylor), and handed Kentucky their 2nd worse home loss ever. The late season struggles began when we imploded all of that chemistry to try and get Nick Smith back in rhythm and let him play more minutes than he should have been.

Lots of battles this team has faced this year with injuries and trying to retool rosters but right now their playing the best ball they have played since Maui.

Reaction Score
Please stop using the word scared. No place for it at this level of competition
Some of the biggest motivation for people at this level of competition is in fact being scared of losing... its not that deep though.

I'm a fan. I'm not playing. I'm not scared that the players won't show up (and even if I was.. I'm a fan...) but I can be scared of this matchup and still be confident they'll win at the same time. Not sure why scared got you triggered but if it makes you feel better lets all agree that those who are "scared" of the matchup should use "worried" going forward.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Here we go! The next 90s Bulls! Same thing every team we play or possible team we play. Also, I’m thankful I don’t listen to you idiots for gambling advice too! Drink a Miller Lite and enjoy the week! SMH
Did you get some sleep?

Reaction Score
I give the edge to Arkansas, they been here before and not only that they are used to the West coast. Last year they upset Gonzaga who many had favorite in San Francisco. 2 straight years they have gone to the elite 8 so the experience of going there is there for them. I'm not gonna overreact to 2 games to Iona and St Mary's because neither is a power 5. Arkansas beat 2 programs who have a history of going to the ncaa tournament. Let's not forget before the year many ppl had Arkansas ranked top 3
I'm still on the fence about their shot selection and how they react to our defensive looks. They played horrible against UT in Knoxville. We're talking borderline dumb and consistently dribbling into the help defense. Buzz Williams got them good in the 2nd half as well with the zone adjustments in the SEC tournament. I don't know how much control Musselman has over this team and possibly the same point could be made about Hurley (see Karaban's comments about the Marquette loss in the BE semis). But they are a legitimate good defensive team across the board and match up well with us physically. The game is a coinflip based on factors we cannot foresee.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Makhi Mitchell 6"10 on Sonogo (Sonogo the more physical specimen but Mitchell is a good rim protector.)
Kamani Johnson 6'7 on Karaban (Kamani is scrappy and plays physical, could be a matchup to exploit)
Devo Davis 6'4 on Hawkins (Davis is a Tony Allen clone, best defender on the team)
Ricky Council 6'5 on Newton (Council is the weaker defender of the 3 guards)
Anthony Black on Jackson Jr. (Black is another long defender, but is has been playing on a bad ankle for the last 2 months)
Ark hasn't started two bigs in the tourney so i'm not sure they will against us but i would welcome it. i will take kamani johnson over nick smith or jordan walsh any day.

Reaction Score
I'm still on the fence about their shot selection and how they react to our defensive looks. They played horrible against UT in Knoxville. We're talking borderline dumb and consistently dribbling into the help defense. Buzz Williams got them good in the 2nd half as well with the zone adjustments in the SEC tournament. I don't know how much control Musselman has over this team and possibly the same point could be made about Hurley (see Karaban's comments about the Marquette loss in the BE semis). But they are a legitimate good defensive team across the board and match up well with us physically. The game is a coinflip based on factors we cannot foresee.
What did Karaban say?

Reaction Score

Only 1 of their top 7 rotation guys was on the team last year,

Reaction Score
What did Karaban say?
I can't find the quote but it was an innocuous comment about how they didn't execute defensively in the Marquette game as they were told to by the coaches and that's why the defense wasn't good.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I can't find the quote but it was an innocuous comment about how they didn't execute defensively in the Marquette game as they were told to by the coaches and that's why the defense wasn't good.
They missed two defensive switches on the perimeter that cost us 6 points. That alone fits the Karaban comments.

Reaction Score
I have said for the last 3 years Davis is a Tony Allen clone. Great knack for getting between screens and causing turnovers. Smart about knowing the personnel on the floor and whether to go under or over the screen. If a guard plays lose with the ball he's going to knock it loose.

If you want to know how Muss has made back to back Elite 8's and is on the chase for another, It's Devo Davis.

No disrespect to big guys and Sonago is awesome but guards and defense win championships. Kentucky had the reining player of the year down low but their guards didn't show and they got beat, Perdue had Eddy down low but their guards didn't show up and they got beat by FDU. Kansas had great forwards but our guards just ate them up and got them in foul trouble.

In the end Devo and Council win the Kansas game for us. Devo is so good at contorting his body to protect the ball and somebody is likely going to foul him if they want a shot to block the ball. Go look at his 21 in the second half against Kansas. 1 three. The rest were just getting downhill and getting fouled.

Council is built like a tank. Arms look like a linebacker more than a guard and he's fast. He gets downhill and its a battle to stop him.

That's why I think this is going to be an awesome game. Two good sets of guards on the court and it's going to be a battle of who wants it more.

Everybody overlooks Arkansas because of their struggles all season but the lineup Muss went back to is the one that finally figured it out and was 6-1 over 7 games (Only loss was @Baylor), and handed Kentucky their 2nd worse home loss ever. The late season struggles began when we imploded all of that chemistry to try and get Nick Smith back in rhythm and let him play more minutes than he should have been.

Lots of battles this team has faced this year with injuries and trying to retool rosters but right now their playing the best ball they have played since Maui.
Good info, thanks! This is going to be a tough game, and UConn is certainly capable of winning it, but Hurley is going to have to adjust to the challenges of Arkansas's crafty foul attracting full speed ahead guards. Maybe we can have some success driving on them. If Adama can continue to impose his will on whoever is guarding him, we will be in position to seize victory. Wear them down and apply the Hawkins hammer during crunch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom