UConn Arkansas | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Don't want to upset the mojo but I just booked a refundable hotel room and car in Houston. :)
Don't forget the Jurrrrdge's timeless statement: if you think it affects the mojo, it affects the mojo.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
To paraphase Rorschach, "We don't have to match-up with you; you have to match-up with us." I think we kill 'em.
Similar to a good book I read last summer…Relentless by Jordan/Kobe’s trainer, Tim Grover. Coolers, Closers and Cleaners.

Coolers and Closers prepare for you. Cleaners know you have to prepare for them.

Reaction Score
Arkansas strikes me as a better version of Iowa State. Hyper physical on defense and athletic, but not super big.

Both look to get a lot of steals and constantly swipe at the ball. ISU shoots it better from deep but Arkansas is better getting to the basket.

Reaction Score
Arkansas strikes me as a better version of Iowa State. Hyper physical on defense and athletic, but not super big.

Both look to get a lot of steals and constantly swipe at the ball. ISU shoots it better from deep but Arkansas is better getting to the basket.

Matchups to start will likely be

Makhi Mitchell 6"10 on Sonogo (Sonogo the more physical specimen but Mitchell is a good rim protector.)
Kamani Johnson 6'7 on Karaban (Kamani is scrappy and plays physical, could be a matchup to exploit)
Devo Davis 6'4 on Hawkins (Davis is a Tony Allen clone, best defender on the team)
Ricky Council 6'5 on Newton (Council is the weaker defender of the 3 guards)
Anthony Black on Jackson Jr. (Black is another long defender, but is has been playing on a bad ankle for the last 2 months)

Off the bench you'll have

G - Nick Smith 6'5
His leash is short after Muss gave him almost 2 months to develop his game back at the end of the season. Hasn't done anything in the first two games of the Tournament.

G - Jordan Walsh 6'7
Great defender and a Dennis Rodman type who is good at going after loose balls. Can score down low and hit the occasional 3.

F - Makhel Mitchell 6'10
Twin brother to Makhi, not as physical as his brother but can give some useful minutes down low.

F- Jalen Graham 6'9
Couldn't guard a paraplegic in a charity wheel chair game. Seriously his defense sucks. Good scorer around the rim with his push shot but his minutes are limited due to his poor defense.

Not sure who your fastest guards off screens but they better be on Devo and Ricky. They can get down the lane quick and hit tough shots. Just go watch Devo's 2nd half in the Kansas game. That second half is the way Arkansas should have looked all season.

In the end they will go hard at Sonogo to try to get him in foul trouble and try to get downhill to get your guards to reach and grab.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Arkansas strikes me as a better version of Iowa State. Hyper physical on defense and athletic, but not super big
Yes on athletic and physical, but without that gimmicky "no middle" scheme that Iowa St runs. Arkansas just guards you tough straight up. And 4 players can switch matchups. Pretty versatile.

Reaction Score
Most college BB guards and wings can make an uncontested 3 pointer. Even low percentage three point shooters.

A good three point shooter can make them when contested. Bad three shooters usually can’t when contested.

Point being, you can’t just play way off a bad three point shooter. Still have to guard the three point line. Just hedge a little more than usual so that you’re always in position to deny the drive.
By this logic Andre jackson would be shooting 60% from 3 no?

Reaction Score
There is no way we break out Samson in a sweet-16 game for meaningful minutes for the first time this season unless things are going horribly wrong.

A little 2-3 zone could be a good idea, but I'm never in favor of leaving your identity. Zone is more of a last resort for us.

I'd rather just change our man defense though. Focus on stepping off and playing the driving lanes instead of a constant denial of the 3 like we did with SMC (and most opponents)
I know!!! I just can’t get it out if my head. SJ looks the part but not ready. I can’t shake the 5 min thing. Maybe Andrew plays the 2?? Ugh. It won’t stop.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Clingan has struggled most against the teams with aggressive, athletic front courts. He can get muscled a bit. I do think that if there is a time to try them together for a few minutes, it's this game.
In defense of dc smc was a thicker team. No string beans and not body builders. But broad loads.

Reaction Score
They DEFINITELY don't. They have a thread on there where one of them ranked the S16 teams and had us at 13 while giving us the description "tough on def, but lack scoring punch", meanwhile we're 3rd in the country in offensive efficiency lol. Funnily enough the description he used for us is the exact one I would use to describe Arkansas.
that was me i use a pod system where i rank 1-4 in each region i had uconn as the strongest 4 and also i have not watched your team until yestday Arkansas does have a hard time shooting the ball its their main weakness i think Arkansas is the better team but if they get into a long shooting drought u guys will win

Reaction Score
They have more fans because they live in Arkansas, a uniquely irrelevant place with trailer parks aglow by the synchronized flashes of Razorback sports as dogs bark, beer cans spurt open and the ritual screaming of domestic fights, screen doors slamming and tires angrily churning gravel fill the air.
Lol I get the stereotype but Northwest Arkansas actually has a lot going for it, people make fun of Walmart but their billions have turned it into a really fast growing region with a lot of money. Could be similar to Austin in the next 20 years.

Reaction Score
Lol I get the stereotype but Northwest Arkansas actually has a lot going for it, people make fun of Walmart but their billions have turned it into a really fast growing region with a lot of money. Could be similar to Austin in the next 20 years.
The ozarks is a desirable place to live. True.

Reaction Score
And cutting on anyone's home is bush league. We're all proud of where we're from, and should be. Maybe it's because I'm from New Jersey! I'll admit, Arkansas is one of six states I've never stepped foot in. I hope you lose badly... but I'm sure Arkansas is beautiful.
It’s all in good fun. My buddies down South are relentless asking if I’m working today or at the country club…

Reaction Score
i live on the other side of the state northeast AR where haif the people hate the razorbacks for thinking oh they dont play us etc etc
its a very pretty state but only around mth home to northwest ark my area is most known for rice and if u drive right u can visit 5 staies in a 3-hour period as i am near the missouri tennessee and miss borders and 3hours from western KY Western Illinois as well

Reaction Score
i live in Jonesboro home of arkansas st univ i think u play them in the future hope u beat A-state if u ever play them in any sports

caw

Reaction Score
Matchups to start will likely be

Makhi Mitchell 6"10 on Sonogo (Sonogo the more physical specimen but Mitchell is a good rim protector.)
Kamani Johnson 6'7 on Karaban (Kamani is scrappy and plays physical, could be a matchup to exploit)
Devo Davis 6'4 on Hawkins (Davis is a Tony Allen clone, best defender on the team)
Ricky Council 6'5 on Newton (Council is the weaker defender of the 3 guards)
Anthony Black on Jackson Jr. (Black is another long defender, but is has been playing on a bad ankle for the last 2 months)

Off the bench you'll have

G - Nick Smith 6'5
His leash is short after Muss gave him almost 2 months to develop his game back at the end of the season. Hasn't done anything in the first two games of the Tournament.

G - Jordan Walsh 6'7
Great defender and a Dennis Rodman type who is good at going after loose balls. Can score down low and hit the occasional 3.

F - Makhel Mitchell 6'10
Twin brother to Makhi, not as physical as his brother but can give some useful minutes down low.

F- Jalen Graham 6'9
Couldn't guard a paraplegic in a charity wheel chair game. Seriously his defense sucks. Good scorer around the rim with his push shot but his minutes are limited due to his poor defense.

Not sure who your fastest guards off screens but they better be on Devo and Ricky. They can get down the lane quick and hit tough shots. Just go watch Devo's 2nd half in the Kansas game. That second half is the way Arkansas should have looked all season.

In the end they will go hard at Sonogo to try to get him in foul trouble and try to get downhill to get your guards to reach and grab.

I haven't watched a ton of Arkansas basketball this year (4 games in total) but just a few comments.

Could be wrong but I would actually expect Jackson to be defended by Council, especially if he is your weakest defender. Newton is much more of a threat to score. However, if the ankle is that bad you may be right.

How's Davis running around and going through screens? He looks great on ball, but again I've only seen four games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom