UCONN Arizona Strategy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Arizona Strategy

Reaction Score
Under the bus? I tell the truth about how a kid is playing how hard they are working and I’m not wrong, well sometimes maybe. But if they aren’t playing hard they make their coach look worst and that has happened like it or not. Well I take that back because you haven’t talked basketball like your buddies bass and SJ just “Fire Ollie” posts so keep being proud of knowing there’s 20 games plus left and you’ve given up on the season. If you’re Lucky maybe your pals will throw you in the pivot?
Oh I get it now. When you're critical of someone it's because it's the truth, but when others do it, it's nonsense. You're a joke. You try and come at people from this moral high ground when you're just as "bad" as everyone else, just from the other side. You're a complete hypocrite without a modicum of self-awareness. You want to talk ball? I'm in every chat and game thread. Sorry that I avoid the threads bashing individual players. I know that kind of thing is right in your wheelhouse, but I'm going to pass on that.

Man, you guys talk about how the anti-KO threads are bad optics? How about dudes like this gleefully bashing the players with regularity. What a joke.

Reaction Score
Under the bus? I tell the truth about how a kid is playing how hard they are working and I’m not wrong, well sometimes maybe. But if they aren’t playing hard they make their coach look worst and that has happened like it or not. Well I take that back because you haven’t talked basketball like your buddies bass and SJ just “Fire Ollie” posts so keep being proud of knowing there’s 20 games plus left and you’ve given up on the season. If you’re Lucky maybe your pals will throw you in the pivot?
Yeah it's the kid's that make him look bad, that's why he's so eager to be one of them.....oops

Reaction Score
Just saw some highlights of the North Dakota State-Arizona game on FS1....... #13 for Arizona is one large, ripped monster..........

Reaction Score
Improved team D
and hopefully someone else establishing they can make a shot.
A W would be great but a loss unless we’re embaressed isn’t a biggie. if a Polley can step up
It will be easier for JA to find Larrier or Vital in open spots .i
I’m Looking for what could possibly be a team going forward emerging

Reaction Score
Just saw some highlights of the North Dakota State-Arizona game on FS1.. #13 for Arizona is one large, ripped monster.....

Deandre Ayton. Freshman..... 7'1" 250lbs.... looked bigger on the highlights....

Reaction Score
The only strategy we need...

upload_2017-12-18_22-57-33.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Arizona's leading scorer, Allonzo Trier, bumped knees w/ another player and left the game. Went to the locker room, came back out to the bench later w/ an ice bag strapped to the knee. Not sure if he'll be available for the UConn game.

Reaction Score
Arizona's leading scorer, Allonzo Trier, bumped knees w/ another player and left the game. Went to the locker room, came back out to the bench later w/ an ice bag strapped to the knee. Not sure if he'll be available for the UConn game.

According to SportsCenter they were hoping it was a bruised knee and no ligament damage. I doubt he's 100% even if he plays. Good news for us.

Reaction Score
It's so critical we start off strong.. we consistently dig ourselves into deep holes to begin the game and are only able to climb out because we're facing low quality competition we should be blowing out of the water given our talent.

Definitely need to contain their big man Ayton. Deny deny deny entry pass. If he gets the ball he's probably going to score. It's going to be tough to score in the paint with the 7'1" Ayton there. And, given the poor ball handling skills and post-up abilities of our big men I suspect we will not be feeding the ball down low much.

So that's going to require us to have excellent exterior shooting promoted by good ball movements and some kick-outs off drives by Jalen & CV. I'd also like to see Terry go for the basket more than just take those 16 footer shots.

I'd say we need to shoot to be within 5 points at halftime. Make adjustments at half time, then proceed on a run.

Reaction Score
Oh I get it now. When you're critical of someone it's because it's the truth, but when others do it, it's nonsense. You're a joke. You try and come at people from this moral high ground when you're just as "bad" as everyone else, just from the other side. You're a complete hypocrite without a modicum of self-awareness. You want to talk ball? I'm in every chat and game thread. Sorry that I avoid the threads bashing individual players. I know that kind of thing is right in your wheelhouse, but I'm going to pass on that.

Man, you guys talk about how the anti-KO threads are bad optics? How about dudes like this gleefully bashing the players with regularity. What a joke.

Regularity? You’re lost pal just because I happen to talk basketball while you and your cronies don’t even realize they are actually playing because of your hatred doesn’t mean I’m “bashing” I’m simply discussing in game happenings. You on the other hand will always rely on your crutch “Coach sucks”. Try watching a game and being a fan rather than going in with your usual take of “Fire KO” win or lose.

I don’t answer every damn post or thread with “Jalen Adams needs to play harder on defense” but you do answer every post with a question about the coaches ability. But again if you like being like bass have at it I just find it pitiful. And you have an issue with my critique of the game itself and ignore all the good things I say about the team, because I’m not even sure you know anything. Best to do is ignore each other I’d say no use for a bass cronie.

Reaction Score
Regularity? You’re lost pal just because I happen to talk basketball while you and your cronies don’t even realize they are actually playing because of your hatred doesn’t mean I’m “bashing” I’m simply discussing in game happenings. You on the other hand will always rely on your crutch “Coach sucks”. Try watching a game and being a fan rather than going in with your usual take of “Fire KO” win or lose.

I don’t answer every damn post or thread with “Jalen Adams needs to play harder on defense” but you do answer every post with a question about the coaches ability. But again if you like being like bass have at it I just find it pitiful. And you have an issue with my critique of the game itself and ignore all the good things I say about the team, because I’m not even sure you know anything. Best to do is ignore each other I’d say no use for a bass cronie.

Everyone can see right through you. To constantly criticize college age players is awful. What you did regarding Brimah was beyond pathetic. Every time someone has a valid criticism of the coaching staff you throw a fit, and to blame the players for making the coach look bad is a new low, even for you.

Reaction Score
It's so critical we start off strong.. we consistently dig ourselves into deep holes to begin the game and are only able to climb out because we're facing low quality competition we should be blowing out of the water given our talent.

Definitely need to contain their big man Ayton. Deny deny deny entry pass. If he gets the ball he's probably going to score. It's going to be tough to score in the paint with the 7'1" Ayton there. And, given the poor ball handling skills and post-up abilities of our big men I suspect we will not be feeding the ball down low much.

So that's going to require us to have excellent exterior shooting promoted by good ball movements and some kick-outs off drives by Jalen & CV. I'd also like to see Terry go for the basket more than just take those 16 footer shots.

I'd say we need to shoot to be within 5 points at halftime. Make adjustments at half time, then proceed on a run.

Yeah good post. If they come out of the gate slow in this one it will be lethal. I love Ayton man is this kid going to be good, hell he is an impact already. They can't front him he's too big they can throw over our guys. Key is make him shot jump hooks and turnarounds, move their feet take a charge or 2 get him in foul trouble he wants to go to the hoop and impose his will. And as you said he hangs around the basket so Jalen & company will have a tough time finishing they will need to use some mid range stuff. Terry needs to make shots and rebound more like the 14 rebound guy a couple weeks ago. I think no matter how much more physical they are Whaley needs to help out battling on the boards he has a nose for the ball, while he may not grab a lot of boards as a thin guy he will keep many balls alive giving us a chance to win the rebound on the floor, our guards will need to be all in. Let's be honest here we will need to make shots and lots of them to have a chance to upset these guys at their place.

Never know, huge hill to climb against a team fully capable of winning it all, but maybe it's time.

Reaction Score
The best way to "steal" games against better talent is to make 3's........I hope any free time they had the past week was spent in the gym practicing 3 pt shooting. Other than Larrier (44%) the 3pt % is fairly abysmal....CV 26%, AA 29%, JA 34%.....UConn is shooting 31% (#298) as a team, that needs to be at least 38% with a heavy guard oriented team otherwise we are very easy to defend.

There is big difference between 31% & 38%...........maybe 2 more made vs. missed a game.....that's 6 pts we need badly, won't matter in blow-outs but in close games those 6 pts are the difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Definitely need to contain their big man Ayton. Deny deny deny entry pass. If he gets the ball he's probably going to score. It's going to be tough to score in the paint with the 7'1" Ayton there.

They have a pair of 7 footers down in the paint. I agree with you. We need to pressure the ball and probably take some chances with the big to big double on Ayton and let the other 7 footer beat us. The problem with that is that the extra kick out pass will lead to an open 3 or a dunk if they feed it back down low.

Reaction Score
This is a bad match up for UConn.
We need to make 3's, not turn the ball over, and hope for some breaks like Arizona getting in foul trouble.
Try to harass the ball handlers i guess....I'm not sure how Arizona plays the pick n roll but maybe we can try some pick and pops with Adams and Larrier, or maybe a pick and roll and rescreen with a big to try to get Adams with a 7 footer guarding him. At least that would makes them uncomfortable and a chance at getting in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
BCU was a 31% 3 point shooting team before the Puke game, so it can happen. Against a team like Arizona need to be able to score in the 80's. Hard to do with 2 1/2 scorers and 41% overall shooting %. Slowing the game down with UConn's personnel doesn't seem to be the answer, just lead to last second poorly conceived shots and turnovers. Go after Arizona offensively and play tight half court defense (no wasted effort on low value semi-pressure).
Massey has expected score Arizona 80-66, unfortunately that is UConn scoring at it's current effectiveness. Interesting given all the "results" so far it has UConn as # 81 and BCU as #82 and Rutgers as #83. Massey also give UConn less than 15% chance on average in each of its next 3 games. "Shock the World".

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Yeah watched that game last night. Arizona scary and man they played fast. Felt bad for Trier. really nice player and I dont want kids getting hurt but if needs a night off to rest the knee against UConn for the upcoming Pac12 schedule, I wont cry.

I had nightmares last night that included Ayton in them when I finally fell asleep. The kid is a beast.

Reaction Score
I'll be honest, I dumped my tickets. I'm sure it makes me a bad fan but I'm not flying to Tucson for 12 hours to watch them get absolutely obliterated. No thanks.

I'm not in the camp that thinks we're that much more talented than some of these mid-majors we're struggling with - we literally have an Atlantic 10 guard getting major minutes at point guard - so I damn sure don't think they can hang with Arizona, banged up or not. That s___ will get ugly. Our best hope is Arizona has a Scottie Reynolds / Corey Fisher situation before tip and they're checked out.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'll be honest, I dumped my tickets. I'm sure it makes me a bad fan but I'm not flying to Tucson for 12 hours to watch them get absolutely obliterated. No thanks.

I'm not in the camp that thinks we're that much more talented than some of these mid-majors we're struggling with - we literally have an Atlantic 10 guard getting major minutes at point guard - so I damn sure don't think they can hang with Arizona, banged up or not. That s___ will get ugly. Our best hope is Arizona has a Scottie Reynolds / Corey Fisher situation before tip and they're checked out.

I mean "BC beat Duke" is the only thing I can hang my hat on here. Nothing Ive seen on the floor so far (not even Oregon or Michigan state first half) indicates we have what it takes at this moment in time to keep it within 15 even.

but BC beat Duke. So Im hopeful. You never know. It would be nice to catch a break for once.

Reaction Score
It would be nice to catch a break for once.

Like I said, I don't think this team is all that talented, so even if they play their A game I don't know if they're going to be able to score with Arizona. That being said, it would be nice to see them come out fired up and focused for once and not be down 15-2 at the first media timeout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom