UCONN Arizona Strategy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN Arizona Strategy

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm hoping they can keep it closer than Arkansas. If they keep the margin under 20, I'll take that as a sign of progress.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Alonzo Trier is gonna be ready to play with his banged up knee?

Reaction Score
If Trier doesn't play would it be worth packing the paint and making them shoot from the outside. Trier appears to be the only consistent 3 point guy.

Reaction Score
Defense. If we win it will come from our defense and low turnovers. Oh and a little better shooting will help a ton.
I expect that we will be out rebounded and we can live with that as long as we are not completely dominated on the boards.
We can win this game.

Reaction Score
If Trier doesn't play would it be worth packing the paint and making them shoot from the outside. Trier appears to be the only consistent 3 point guy.

Jackson-Cartwright doesn't shoot a ton (2-3 a game) but he's shooting 50% on 3's as a starter. Rawle Atkins is back. He's not an incredible shooter, but he hit 37% last year (aka would be our 2nd best 3pt shooter by a mile). Still might be worth it.

Reaction Score
strategy: don't suck and try to keep it close

AZ is not as physical as MSU, so if we come out fired up like the first half of that game it could be interesting.

Reaction Score
Double Ayton in the paint. Zone at least some. Use 3 guard offense sparingly. Start Vital and get him involved offensively early. Move the ball on offense and feed the post when available.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
He got off to a slow start, but Fr. Randolph has been knocking down shots lately, behind the arc and elsewhere on the court. Smith, Barcello and Akot all can hit from range too, in addition to the players mentioned up thread. None of them are great 3 point shooters but plenty of guys capable of hitting them. Ayton has even launched a few, but his % is low enough that he's not really a threat. His 15-18 foot jumper is pretty sweet though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Despite starting two 7 footers, Arizona doesn't really have a good rim protector. You'd think Ayton would be a good shotblocker, but it doesn't appear to be a strength for him. They also have been really bad stopping dribble penetration most of the season. So going w/ small ball and driving relentlessly might give UConn a chance in this game.

Reaction Score
In their 3 losses, Arizona shot a combined 10-54 (18.5%) from 3. Since that point, 47-111 (42%). Closing out might be a good start.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
How about the team playing with passion and purpose and not start the game with a double digit deficit.

C'mon KO, we're counting on you!
Absolutely. Great comment. Enough of starting out games by digging a hole.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
Also, I might add, NO taking jumpers without any Huskies prepared to rebound. Can't even begin to count the amount of "one and done" possessions UConn has had this season and last where a shot is taken and all there are under the basket are members of the opposing team. That needs to stop now.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
That's the point. And there's not much KO can do. Players have to want to play hard as a team. (And before the complaining starts, yes, everything is the coach's responsibility ultimately, but that's different than thinking there's something magical he can do about it.)
Well, I think we're talking about an issue of culture within the program and that starts with the head coach. Regardless of the level of talent, if he's not seeing a 100% effort from a player then he needs to put him on the bench and put someone in who will give his all (ala Jim Calhoun), even if he's a walk-on. Effort/energy/toughness are things that should instilled from day one and insisted upon. No excuse for deficiencies in those areas.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
What in this seasons history would make people think UConn is going to use less of the 3 guard lineup. Even if KO starts with a big lineup with TL at the three I think KO will play the 3 guard lineup for the majority of the game. I'm not a fan of it but obviously KO is.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
UConn should use the full court knee bumping strategy.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
UConn should use the full court knee bumping strategy.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I’m hoping to see more Whaley and Carlton and less Onuorah. Whaley in particular, as he proved he can keep the ball moving (and actually leads the team in ORtg now). There is so much growth to be realized with those 2 that it makes sense to play them more.

For strong bigs, Cobb and Diarra can take the majority of the minutes.

Play the 4 bigs that will be here next year and can actually develop into offensive contributors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom