UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 20 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Bill Self mention after their loss that he's been thinking about the portal for over a month so no doubt Kansas is gonna go hot and heavy on the portal and are probably fully prepped
Crazy they open the portal before the season over.
Yeah, Self wants to get another Timberlake.

Reaction Score
There is a 99.9999999% chance we're bringing in more than 1 or 2 transfers this year
Yes, considering we only signed up 2 kids for next season and we’re losing at least 5 guys.

Reaction Score
I mean... I get it but we can do better.
I like this kid. Watched him a bunch recently and he's conspicuously out playing the competition. Solid awareness, plays all levels of the game unselfishly with a fantastic work rate. If we catch him as a late bloomer on his upward trajectory, who knows his ceiling. His shot, feet through shoulders looks good to me as well, although I did see several different release point, wrist snap combinations. 2 years remaining and a DPOY?

Reaction Score
I still think Amari Williams is the answer at center. Nobody likes long highlight videos so here is a short clip from his junior year. He shows flashes court vision and a jump shot and that length on defense is ideal. I think he is the closest we can get to replacing Clingan via the portal. Just feels like the kind of guy whose strengths (defense and rebounding) will carry to a level up and being surrounded by better players in a supplemental role will enhance his offensive profile. I've watched so many videos of him and I love the idea of him at center. I'm no expert but I think he has "it."

Reaction Score
I think you would do that first before going portal.
If he's leaning toward leaving, this is an effective way to advertise himself as available so potential landing spots don't disappear before he's had the chance to discuss things with his new coach.

Reaction Score
There is a 99.9999999% chance we're bringing in more than 1 or 2 transfers this year
As long as we aren't thinking of bringing in more than 2 as expected starting positions, I think bring in a couple more for bench depth makes sense (ala Joey, Alleyne, and Diarra), but I would rather have some early season growing pains with our sophomores (Stewart, Ball and Ross) and freshmen (at least Nowell), than to portal recruit over them.

Reaction Score
I only count 4 losses for sure. Are you guessing?
At least 4 guys plus a banked scholly that Andre Johnson is using, so 5 schollies available minus 2 for the freshman. Plus any additional NBA or transfers out.

Reaction Score
My hope is that we retain Diarra, Karaban and Johnson. I imagine they will all declare for the draft and ultimately return. Get Williams and Derkack out of the portal. Get McNeeley. Bank on the sophomore leap and development of Ball and Stewart

Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Derkack
Stewart/McNeeley
Karaban
Williams/Johnson

That team wins the Big East.

Reaction Score
Why are we all convinced that Karaban returns?

I’d love it… but I have assumed he would go after this season no matter how it ended?

I can’t remember if it was this thread I posted the thought in last week, but I’m still kinda caught on this?

Reaction Score

I’d love it… but I have assumed he would go after this season no matter how it ended?

I can’t remember if it was this thread I posted the thought in last week, but I’m still kinda caught on this?
I think it comes down to NIL and finishing his degree. Remember his mom in his recruitment? She was very much in favor of going to schools like Northwestern, etc. He's a year away from a degree and is at best a solid second round pick - more likely a two-way guy like Sanogo. He can finish up he fourth year and get that degree while making 6 figures in NIL. Plus he strikes me as a guy who really enjoys college basketball and this program.

Reaction Score

Because he's not good enough to play in the NBA next season and we have NIL.

Reaction Score
I think Karaban comes back for one more year.. I think his degree is important to him and he probably just outside of the 1st round.. so he gets his degree and works on his game to maybe slide into the 1st round next year

Reaction Score
At least 4 guys plus a banked scholly that Andre Johnson is using, so 5 schollies available minus 2 for the freshman. Plus any additional NBA or transfers out.
Andre Johnson is on scholarship??

Reaction Score
Ultimately I think Karaban will come back. Rather than be a possible NBA minimum/two-way/G League guy, he would would be the big dog on campus, collect a nice chunk of NIL money, I would imagine he could finish his degree (even though he'll only have been here 7 semesters), and we should be competitive again. Similar for Diarra, I think there's more guaranteed money to be made here than overseas plus being a starter on a competitive team. Johnson hasn't shown anywhere near enough for a pro career and hasn't graduated, so I think he'll be back. Freshmen are coming back. Would love to add McNeeley and one of the seemingly many good bigs. I'm also pro Knowling/that kid from Stonehill/any veteran bench guy who wants to come to UConn to play the RJ Evans role for their final year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
My hope is that we retain Diarra, Karaban and Johnson. I imagine they will all declare for the draft and ultimately return. Get Williams and Derkack out of the portal. Get McNeeley. Bank on the sophomore leap and development of Ball and Stewart

Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Derkack
Stewart/McNeeley
Karaban
Williams/Johnson

That team wins the Big East.
Any room on the squad for Abraham/Roumoglou/Ross?

Reaction Score
Andre Johnson is on scholarship??
Not totally positive. He's listed on the scholarship grid on StorrsCentral and Andrew is not. I think he won a scholarship thing at some point so who knows. Either way, we banked a schollie and he may or may not have used it.

Reaction Score

I think his inconsistent shooting ensures his return. That slump while we kept winning was actually good if it keeps him here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom