UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 17 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Hurley has consistently said that the core of the team will be made up of high school recruits. We have 4 sophomores who were a top 4 recruiting class. You recruit over them and they are going to leave. We've never had 3 transfers come in and start. Too much volatility.

Right now, 3 of our 8 rotation players are transfers. Last year 4 of our 9 rotation players (3/8 by tournament time) were transfers.

This is probably the formula going forward.

Reaction Score
I know you’re just providing context but I have no problem with people pointing out how good our staff is in identifying the right guys irrespective of their rankings and then coaching them up. He shouldn’t have made it seem like we have a lot of 3* guys but what I’ve bolded in your post essentially makes the same ultimate point. In a million years you’d never look at our players’ rankings and say “that team is going to dominate college basketball.” Put that roster up against Duke and Kentucky on paper and it looks like no contest. It’s roster construction, player development and culture that elevates our program.
Newton and Spencer were very talented players already but look at what they have become. No McD list for them and you wouldn’t trade them for one. This is the part that our staff somehow figures out. It flies in the face of media hype that we will see Tuesday in the McD game.
I admit I’ve been worried about us not getting enough of them but then I look at Sanogo, Cam, Andre and Newton and relax a bit,

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn on him pretty hard before he committed to Ohio State? From the description in the article he doesn't sound like a good pick up for the Huskies. They have enough very young and inexperienced players. Better to get a more seasoned guy if you're looking for a transfer.

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn on him pretty hard before he committed to Ohio State? From the description in the article he doesn't sound like a good pick up for the Huskies. They have enough very young and inexperienced players. Better to get a more seasoned guy if you're looking for a transfer.

Yeah, we made the final list for him. Intriguing name. He had very low usage at Ohio State but shot 45% from deep (2 attempts per game). There’s always a spot for a 3 and D guy.

Reaction Score

Yes, and we ended up taking Stewart in that spot. If you just look at the stats you'd think maybe Middleton had the better year, but I think Jaylin is a better fit for us and seemed to really buy in as the season went along.

Reaction Score
Very legit. This has been on the horizon for the past few months. Knowling played at EC with Andrew Hurley. Had a great career at Yale and will be a great piece to have on the bench with his experience and IQ. Awesome news if we can seal the deal.
If he's our 12th or 13th guy, then fine. Keep in mind we had an open slot all year. Obviously there's still a lot that will need to shake about between the end of the season and the couple weeks following.

Reaction Score
Yes, and we ended up taking Stewart in that spot. If you just look at the stats you'd think maybe Middleton had the better year, but I think Jaylin is a better fit for us and seemed to really buy in as the season went along.

I think it would be smart to reach out, but I kind of doubt we do. Middleton has improved his shooting quite a bit and can definitely defend. Right now, he offers basically what Jaylin does on defense, and doesn't have the same ceiling on offense IMO. Doesn't have the same dribbling and finishing ability, but is a better shooter.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Seeing Kam Jones in portal…. Wonder if he’ll get UConn interest

This is the wild west man. What on earth is Kam Jones leaving Marquette for? He's in as good of a position to get to the next level as he'll ever find.

Well, it's all about the $$$. But some of this sucks to see.

Edit: Not seeing this anywhere either. Might be Fake News because it's 4/1. Either way, this is the wild friggen' west.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very legit. This has been on the horizon for the past few months. Knowling played at EC with Andrew Hurley. Had a great career at Yale and will be a great piece to have on the bench with his experience and IQ. Awesome news if we can seal the deal.
I think he's supposed to be a very good shooter except not from 3, or he doesn't take many from there

Reaction Score
This is the wild west man. What on earth is Kam Jones leaving Marquette for? He's in as good of a position to get to the next level as he'll ever find.

It's April 1st.

Kam Jones isn't leaving Marquette.

Reaction Score
Seeing Kam Jones in portal…. Wonder if he’ll get UConn interest
Where do you see that? I don't see anything on Twitter about it and seems like a weird decision for a guy on the NBA's radar already as a 1st rounder this year

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
wth is happening with Iowa St? Over last 48 hours four players have applied for the portal, including one of their top xfers from last year, and three frosh from their #9 recruiting class of '23 (including a five-star PF).

Reaction Score
wth is happening with Iowa St? Over last 48 hours four players have applied for the portal, including one of their top xfers from last year, and three frosh from their #9 recruiting class of '23 (including a five-star PF).
Coach buried the freshmen. You bury guys, even on good teams where opportunity will be there this season and they'll lose trust in you.

Reaction Score
Coach buried the freshmen. You bury guys, even on good teams where opportunity will be there this season and they'll lose trust in you.

I agree. This is such a balancing act needed now by the coaches. Almost impossible.
Beside other coaches will poach. I guess there is no stopping that.

Reaction Score

Edit: Not seeing this anywhere either. Might be Fake News because it's 4/1. Either way, this is the wild friggen' west.
Kam disappeared in last game. Looked terrified. Shocking because the Yard touts him as NBA bound

Reaction Score
If he's our 12th or 13th guy, then fine. Keep in mind we had an open slot all year. Obviously there's still a lot that will need to shake about between the end of the season and the couple weeks following.
He’s going to be more impactful than that. Hes a proven player in a solid mid major conference. First team all Ivy before an injury and hit a game winner to send Yale to the tournament this year. Don’t underestimate experience in todays college basketball climate.

Reaction Score
He’s going to be more impactful than that. Hes a proven player in a solid mid major conference. First team all Ivy before an injury and hit a game winner to send Yale to the tournament this year. Don’t underestimate experience in todays college basketball climate.
What do you see as his role if he plays at UConn? I like him but he's a 6'5 post player who shoots no threes.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this in the middle of the year realizing that most of the current rotational players will no longer be at UConn come next year- thought that D.J. Davis would be a nice fit for UConn to replace Spencer.

Now I just noticed he’s in the portal- not sure if the rules allowed for Big East transfers to transfer within the same conference? With that said, really do think he would be a nice fit- high volume three point shooter who is super efficient from behind the arc.

Reaction Score
Where the hell are these dudes going to play? Like, okay, Filipowski is going pro. McCain too, I guess, is going to get drafted. Roach Roach has a Covid year I guess he doesn't take.

But then you're adding 6 Top 50 players to Mitchell (Top 20), Proctor (Top 100), Foster (Top 20), Stewart (Top 15), and Power (Top 25). That's 10 Top 50 kids (and most are Top 25) and another key contributor. It just doesn't make sense unless there's a max exodus, which causes it's own problems.

View attachment 98682
Gilbert Arenas says alot of dumb stuff but he was spot on when he mentioned why are so many elite recruits teaming up on one team when speaking on his own son not going down that path. He referenced Cam Reddish taking a backseat with that Zion/RJ/Reddish class and this one is even more loaded than that one and now you got classes doubling up on top of each other, how are all of these guys going to get touches and minutes. Two top 5 centers in one class that can't play together on the court, it makes no sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom