UConn and the Transfer Portal | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Yeah, on first glance looks like a Newton-style stat stuffer -- 17/6/4 in a big guard, which we need -- but 27% from 3 and 4 TO per game (1:1 A/TO ratio) are pretty bad.

For comparison... Newton had a >2:1 A/TO his last two years at ECU. His 3pt% wasn't great (and neither is it now, frankly). Derkack was playing the 320th SOS in the country and his team is 214 on kenpom.

He was DPOY in the conference though. I can get on board with that.

I see an energy bench guy getting 20mpg or a 3rd guard. 26% (and 20% versus high-major opponents) isn't going to cut it on a team with spacing concerns already. Staff must think they can improve that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For comparison... Newton had a >2:1 A/TO his last two years at ECU. His 3pt% wasn't great (and neither is it now, frankly). Derkack was playing the 320th SOS in the country.

Bench piece, sure. Starting caliber player? I'm dubious.
Feels like he makes more sense in that third ball-handler role off the bench and as a developmental piece to work on his shot. Got a bit of a funky motion.

Reaction Score
Seems like more of a Dre/Steph mold than a Cam/Tristen type guy. Defensive player of the year in his conference, big frame, with some playmaking abilities but don't think he's the lead ball handler

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Probably depth with the ability to compete for a larger role if he develops well. We could do worse in that case.

Reaction Score
I’d imagine we are looking for depth only 1-4 so this target makes sense. Insurance in case Ross isn’t ready to contribute.

Reaction Score
For comparison... Newton had a >2:1 A/TO his last two years at ECU. His 3pt% wasn't great (and neither is it now, frankly). Derkack was playing the 320th SOS in the country and his team is 214 on kenpom.

I see an energy bench guy getting 20mpg or a 3rd guard. 26% (and 20% versus high-major opponents) isn't going to cut it on a team with spacing concerns already. Staff must think they can improve that.
I see that as well. Don’t think he’s starting caliber but would be a nice bench piece

Reaction Score
Merrimack is barely Division 1. This is a HUGE jump in competition. Timberlake says "hello".
Which is why he’d be a depth piece. If this guy ends up as a starter then it won’t be good

Reaction Score
If his defense can translate to this level, he seems like a pretty viable option. We're going to be losing 3 guys who are 6'4+ guards (Cam, Newton, Castle), and Nowell and Diarra lack the size to defend certain Big East guards. His shooting might not ever be elite, but he did increase his % on substantially more volume, so there are indicators that it could keep improving. If he could clean up turnovers, which might happen just as a result of being less of a focal point on offense, I could definitely see the value.

Plus he's a Jersey kid so you know Hurley would love him.

Reaction Score
Kids go to Merrimack for a reason: to tell people they played "D1" basketball. There's D1, and there's "D1!!!!!". The divide couldn't be bigger between UConn and Merrimack.

Reaction Score

Bigger Hass

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We probably shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this kid is obviously too good for the NEC. Even if he's only a rotation piece on a team like ours, he's obviously a high major level player. Has 2 more seasons to improve as well.

Reaction Score
Kids go to Merrimack for a reason: to tell people they played "D1" basketball. There's D1, and there's "D1!!!!!". The divide couldn't be bigger between UConn and Merrimack.
They were 16 seed good this year. A few minutes away from a tournament bid.

Best player on a 16 seed as a sophomore could probably contribute for us as a senior if he improves on a typical trajectory. Based on his usage, turnover rate and shooting %, he was clearly using too large a load, so would be better in a smaller role.

Tristen's ECU teams were terrible as well in a similar tier. This kid's numbers aren't as good as Tristen's and he's a year younger, so I would not expect him to be a year 1 starter.

He kind of moves like Reed Sheppard. Glides around the court and then has some real open court speed. Except if he made half the shots that Reed makes.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but Cam spent 2.5 years at Loyola MD and that dude Jenkins from SJU spent 2 years at Pacific. Diamonds in the rough. We've been very good at mining the portal so hopefully that good fortune continues.

Saw Georgetown in the video above post #13 which was a loss, 69-67, but Derkack led scorers with 22 pts, 7 rebounds. He kind of reminds me of Steve Pikiell and their freshman year stats were very similar. Unfortunately, Pikiell's freshman year stats were his best due to injury, but Derkack's stats like doubled his sophomore year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom