UConn and BCU talkin' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and BCU talkin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The northeast has passionate fans. VERY passionate fans. Unfortunately for college football, there are just so many professional and collegiate sports entertainment options in the northeast. An annual game between the two biggest programs in New England would be a very big deal and just might move the needle on college football in the area, as a whole.

Mike DiMauro wrote about this the other day when he trashed the "Civil Conflict". He made some good points; all have been discussed on here. BC couldn't sell out a HOME game against nationally known USC on a Saturday night, nationally televised game. UConn's attendance has been in a steady free-fall since Jeff Hathaway/Paul Pasqualoni drove it into the ground. UConn vs BC not only would sell out both stadiums, it would stir up quite a big-game atmosphere that northeast sports fans are famous for providing.

Reaction Score
I wish Addazio was our coach. So close to getting him.

This is a good start. BC is our biggest rival, that game would get our fan base fired up.

I don't wish Addazio is our coach. I hope he falls flat - cause, of course, it is that twitdom in the western Chestnut Hill suburb.

Reaction Score
I've never been to a game I wanted more than the Big East opener at BC. I was sitting in the second or third row and wanted to climb on the field and fight someone.

Obviously ... YOU were the guys that scared the BC fans. They quickly were posting what a hostile environment the RENT was. F' em.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Obviously ... YOU were the guys that scared the BC fans. They quickly were posting what a hostile environment the RENT was. F' em.

Yup. I admittedly was a bit drunk and boisterous. But I will say that when I returned the trip to Alumni Stadium, I was greeted by the same level of hostility by several BC fans. It goes both ways, no matter how often their fans try to say otherwise.

Reaction Score
Nothing shocking from the article. UConn wants it, some at BC who don't make the decisions want it but the higher-ups who are still butt hurt for being called out for the dogs that they were don't want it.
Is Leahy still there? Did he forget the messiah preached forgiveness?

Still there. Move on

Reaction Score
Yes, you know with certainty that the lawsuit didn't play a role..... What else do you know?

If the lawsuit really played a role, please explain why BC still voluntarily plays us in Baseball, Soccer, and would gladly play us in hoops if we were willing, and please explain why BC happily supported UConn joining them in Hockey East.

There is no moral explanation whatsoever for being so offended they won't play us in football bu would play us in any other sport where (what a coincience) it is in their interest.

There. I"ve given you logical proof. You got anything other than "prove it?"

Reaction Score
I wish Addazio was our coach. So close to getting him.

This is a good start. BC is our biggest rival, that game would get our fan base fired up.
We have Addazio right were we want him. He is all in on playing UCONN and very proud of being from CT. He can repair a lot of damage and do a lot of good without being our head coach.

Reaction Score
Yes, you know with certainty that the lawsuit didn't play a role..... What else do you know?

Since the lawsuit was headlined by Pitt, what role did you think it played?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

My rage was at Alumni. It was a rare occasion I was sitting in UConn section so I didn't have any issues.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I am with JC
We have no need for those turds from Newton. You guys are panicking and groveling. You're better than that. I am all about Irish Amnesia. Forgive....Never Forget.

Reaction Score
BC will play Umass most years. Thats seems to be enough local attraction for college football fans in the state of Massachusetts from my observation. The state college system in Massachusetts produces a lot of grads that are from Massachusetts, many of whom remain in state for jobs after graduation. So they like playing BC. As for BC, most of their students now are from outside of N.E., so most of them would just yawn if a New England College like Uconn was put on the football schedule. It does nothing for these students, alums.. That said, I totally understand how this would be a VERY big deal in Connecticut, as many of its grads are residents of Connecticut, and Uconn football is ( or was ) big in the state.

There is a pecking order in college football. ND looks upon BC ,the way BC looks upon Uconn,, and Uconn looks upon Umass, the way Umass looks upon Holy Cross. It may not be fair, but its the reality of how football programs and its fan bases see themselves. All fan bases feel put upon by the ones higher up on the pecking order than them. There is nothing new under the sun in this, imo.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BC will play Umass most years. Thats seems to be enough local attraction for college football fans in the state of Massachusetts from my observation. The state college system in Massachusetts produces a lot of grads that are from Massachusetts, many of whom remain in state for jobs after graduation. So they like playing BC. As for BC, most of their students now are from outside of N.E., so most of them would just yawn if a New England College like Uconn was put on the football schedule. It does nothing for these students, alums.. That said, I totally understand how this would be a VERY big deal in Connecticut, as many of its grads are residents of Connecticut, and Uconn football is ( or was ) big in the state.

There is a pecking order in college football. ND looks upon BC ,the way BC looks upon Uconn,, and Uconn looks upon Umass, the way Umass looks upon Holy Cross. It may not be fair, but its the reality of how football programs and its fan bases see themselves. All fan bases feel put upon by the ones higher up on the pecking order than them. There is nothing new under the sun in this, imo.

If HFD can get banned....

Reaction Score
If the lawsuit really played a role, please explain why BC still voluntarily plays us in Baseball, Soccer, and would gladly play us in hoops if we were willing, and please explain why BC happily supported UConn joining them in Hockey East.

There is no moral explanation whatsoever for being so offended they won't play us in football bu would play us in any other sport where (what a coincience) it is in their interest.

There. I"ve given you logical proof. You got anything other than "prove it?"

You've given absolutely nothing... Just sayin. You've said nothing that everyone doesn't already know, good job.! Anything else you mention is speculation and your opinion is as good as anyone else's on the board, but keep in mind it's your opinion... Period!

Dooley

Reaction Score
As for BC, most of their students now are from outside of N.E., so most of them would just yawn if a New England College like Uconn was put on the football schedule. It does nothing for these students, alums.

It must be tough to get you BC fans to stop yawning. I mean, if USC at 8pm on ABC does nothing for your students and alums, who does?

Reaction Score
Since the lawsuit was headlined by Pitt, what role did you think it played?

Yes, I know Pitts position. I have no specific facts to imply that it did, just that the general thoughts as to why BC won't play us like turf battle etc... Just don't seem to make logical sense seeing the position they are currently in. I just think that there is more to it than that such as the lawsuit, is all I'm saying. I have friends from 4 ACC schools and none of them get excited nor even care to play BC, they are an outsider from what I'm told. Why would the school not want to re engage a regional rival aside from the obvious excuses we have all read seeing as they are relatively insignificant to everyone else? I just think there is more to it than that is all I'm saying.

Reaction Score
It must be tough to get you BC fans to stop yawning. I mean, if USC at 8pm on ABC does nothing for your students and alums, who does?
It wasn't that bad. The TV numbers in Massachusetts were decent. I'm under no illusion however that college football in Massachusetts is a big deal. Most casual sports fans in Massachusetts consider college football the minor leagues. They are only interested in College football on NFL Draft Day. Wherever there is a pro football team nearby, the local college football team play second fiddle. And when the school is a relatively small, private school, it suffers even more. Georgia Tech has won college football national championships, but it pales in their state in that state's interest to the NFL's Atlanta Falcons, and to the big state U... Georgia Bulldogs. Miami Huricanes were winning national championships in football, and rarely had sellouts. They're not a state school either. They are a private. And they will always be 2nd fiddle in Miami to the NFL Dolphins, even when the Dolphins stink. Boston is a pro sports loving town. Always has been, always will be. That said, BC still has larger attendance at its home football games, than Uconn football does. So I wouldn't be knocking BC football on its home game football attendance attendance, when Uconn football has less fans at its games, than BC and yet is essentially the only game in town, and with no surrounding competition for the sports loving fan's dollar either.

Reaction Score
The northeast has passionate fans. VERY passionate fans. Unfortunately for college football, there are just so many professional and collegiate sports entertainment options in the northeast. An annual game between the two biggest programs in New England would be a very big deal and just might move the needle on college football in the area, as a whole

It would be a very big deal. It could and eventually would turn out to be the event to be seen at in New England every year for those that need to be seen. For the rest of us it would be merely "The Game" each year. UConn can make that game happen but they need to put in the time and effort to make that the most important game on both team's schedules each year. Only way that happens is to make themselves the most attractive opponent. Lots of wins and a top 25 ranking gets you there. 2-10 does not.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Our attendance is putrid and has been in a free-falling nosedive ever since Jeff Hathaway/Paul Pasqualoni put their stamp on our program. Maybe you missed it when I wrote that earlier in this thread. But fact is that neither school can sell out its home games these days, so building up a regional rivalry would seem to benefit both schools.

Reaction Score
. I have friends from 4 ACC schools and none of them get excited nor even care to play BC, they are an outsider from what I'm told..

My guess, none of these 4 football fans are football fans from Syracuse. Syracuse and BC will be annual football " rivals " from what it appears moving forward. BC tried to take ' Cuse along with them to the ACC, but Syracuse was torn between the football faction up there ( that wanted to go to the ACC ) and Boeheim and his basketball contingent. Syracuse froze, and got locked out. When the BE fell apart, Syracuse went scrambling for votes from the ACC School Presidents and were able to garner enough to get in. Now that Syracuse and BC are in the ACC together, both will play in the same division in the ACC, and make the last game of the season between one another. Both schools are privates, and both go way back in terms of playing one another in football. Both ccompete for the same kid in football recruiting too. So thats the regiona footballl rivalry thats coming in the ACC, imo

Reaction Score
Our attendance is putrid and has been in a free-falling nosedive ever since Jeff Hathaway/Paul Pasqualoni put their stamp on our program. Maybe you missed it when I wrote that earlier in this thread. But fact is that neither school can sell out its home games these days, so building up a regional rivalry would seem to benefit both schools.
This is seen thru a Connecticut prism however.. and I get that. But in Massachusetts, there is more interest in BC and Umass getting together and playing football, than a BC - Uconn game. If we asked casual sports fans from Massachusetts would they rather watch BC play Uconn or Umass, the vast majority would say " Umass ". Thats not a disrespect to Uconn. Its the fact that there are far, far more graduates of the College State systems in Massachuetts, than there are Uconn grads in Massachusetts, especially the closer one gets to inside rte 495 corridor of Eastern Mass. This notion that somehow if Uconn plays BC in football that this will somehowbe a big shot in the arm to " New England College Football " ( heard many a time here ) is simply seen thru a Connecticut prism. BC students and alums are mostly from outside New England. They are not from N.E. at all. And there are few Uconn grads in Greater Boston( compared to alums that graduated from the State college system of Umass- Amherst, Umass- Boston, Umass- Lowell, and 7 other Massacusetts state colleges.) As a result, BC will have more Massachusetts residents at a BC- Umass game than a BC- Uconn game. So the fact that a BC- Umass game has more interest in Greater Boston than a BC- Uconn football game would is being shared now on here as seen thru a Massachuetts prism. Again, I DO understand the Connecticut prism lens here, and it makes perfect sense to me as to why this is seemingly such a big deal for people of Connecticut, or who are Uconn grads. I get that. I do. I just wanted to share however how this is looked at thru most Massachusetts casual sports fans prisims and who are not connected to BC in any way as alums there.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All of this great Mass insight from a Florida resident. Thanks to the Boneyard for making it happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I stopped reading after he claimed there was interest in BC in the state of Massachusetts.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading after he claimed there was interest in BC in the state of Massachusetts.
I guess you did. As I stated in my comments above... BC , in a pro town, as a private school, is second fiddle, 3rd fiddle in Massachuestts. That said, as a follow up, I also said that there is more interest in Greater Boston for BC to play Umass in football than for BC to play Uconn in football. As a non alum of BC, but as one that has lived for half a century in eastern Massachusetts, I believe that I know from that first hand experience what interest there is in Eastern Massachusetts for BC football , Umass football , and in this case, Uconn football.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Closer to sixth or seventh fiddle.

Reaction Score
My guess, none of these 4 football fans are football fans from Syracuse. Syracuse and BC will be annual football " rivals " from what it appears moving forward. BC tried to take ' Cuse along with them to the ACC, but Syracuse was torn between the football faction up there ( that wanted to go to the ACC ) and Boeheim and his basketball contingent. Syracuse froze, and got locked out. When the BE fell apart, Syracuse went scrambling for votes from the ACC School Presidents and were able to garner enough to get in. Now that Syracuse and BC are in the ACC together, both will play in the same division in the ACC, and make the last game of the season between one another. Both schools are privates, and both go way back in terms of playing one another in football. Both ccompete for the same kid in football recruiting too. So thats the regiona footballl rivalry thats coming in the ACC, imo

Nope! All southern schools: Wake,UNC,Duke,Virginia and Maryland but we know where they stand stand now. BC has Cuse and they desperately need them because except for Bball season they feel the same way about the Fruit too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom