UConn and BCU talkin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's a start.

http://www.courant.com/hc-bc-uconn-bc-football-0607-20150606-story.html

"I think it would be great if we played UConn," Addazio said. "I believe in regional games. If we get a couple of nonconference games, it would be great to play them because I think it's good for New England. I'm a New England guy. I'm a Connecticut guy, and I'm proud of it, and I want the best for it."

BC athletic director Brad Bates and UConn AD Warde Manuel feel the same way.

"Warde Manuel and I are really good friends," Bates said. "We've known each other for a long time, so could that possibly happen at some point in time? I'm sure at some point in time it probably will be something that's discussed. Whether it will happen in the near future or not, I can't tell you."

Said Manuel: "Because I have known Brad a long time and we are friends, he knows I would play them in any sport at any time, and I'd love to play them in football. I think it's something that would be good for both our fan bases and the region for football, but Connecticut is not holding up whether or not we play or not."

"I wasn't here when Boston College left the conference," Bates said. "I know there's still a lot of scars remaining from that time. I didn't experience it."

Reaction Score
I wish Addazio was our coach. So close to getting him.

This is a good start. BC is our biggest rival, that game would get our fan base fired up.

Reaction Score
With all the turnover at BC, it's just hard to believe they still have an issue with this Blumenthal thing. For us, this game would be our only sell out at The Rent so we have to make it happen some how.....

Reaction Score
I wonder if Warde and JC will be sitting together at hoop games anymore if this comes through? LOL

Reaction Score
Warde should go all in on this. Tell HCBD that he has to change the UCF logo on his spectacular trophy for a BC logo. If he gets the color right they will not be able to turn down a chance to play a game with the prestige of the Civil Conflict. Get it done!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sigh, it was never the lawsuit. It was about market share and poor leadership at BC.

They've realized that we have no affect on their market and that their leadership sucked. It was always about them, not us.

Reaction Score
Sigh, it was never the lawsuit. It was about market share and poor leadership at BC.

They've realized that we have no affect on their market and that their leadership sucked. It was always about them, not us.

Yes, you know with certainty that the lawsuit didn't play a role..... What else do you know?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
"I wasn't here when Boston College left the conference," Bates said. "I know there's still a lot of scars remaining from that time. I didn't experience it."

Yeah, they were scarred..................

Reaction Score
Doggie Style said:
Yes, you know with certainty that the lawsuit didn't play a role..... What else do you know?

I agree it wasn't just the lawsuit. They left the Big East to get away from us. The lawsuit came after. We owned them in basketball and they were afraid that the same thing would happen in football. They have a pretty high and unwarranted opinion of themselves.

Reaction Score
uconnric said:
I agree it wasn't just the lawsuit. They left the Big East to get away from us. The lawsuit came after. We owned them in basketball and they were afraid that the same thing would happen in football. They have a pretty high and unwarranted opinion of themselves.

No one really believes that, do they? They left BE for a better opportunity.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
It's probably not a coincidence that when BC has every reasonable expectation that their football team will be consistently better than UConn's they are interested in playing again.

We need to get a long term agreement done.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I find it encouraging that the BC AD and Coach are both talking about the possibility of a game/series. Both schools would benefit from an annual game and it would help invigorate northeast football.

Reaction Score
The lack of leadership at BC and UCONN during this transition was very unfortunate. Hathaway's legacy will forever in my mind be linked to the stupid twins, but there is no reason to believe he was managing CR as well is it could have been - and I recognize that may be unfair.

GDF is a completely different matter. The level of insecurity there is unparalleled and there was no vision about what could have been something great for New England and northeastern collegiate athletics. He was completely incapable of seeing great opportunity through a narrowly focused lens of fear. Small, small man.

Unfortunately, the leadership at BC is largely the same, and I'm not entirely sure Bates has much leeway on this issue. To be honest, Bates doesn't strike me as a great hire, but who knows at this point.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I find it encouraging that the BC AD and Coach are both talking about the possibility of a game/series. Both schools would benefit from an annual game and it would help invigorate northeast football.
My guess is they both (along with the football coaches from both schools) but BC's leadership wants nothing to do with us (in this sport). The parties that want it are trying to paint BC's leadership into a corner where they have no choice but to approve the game(s).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Please nobody from the Horde ask Diaco what he thinks of this;)

Reaction Score
I don't know, the quote from Bates above doesn't sound all that encouraging to me. Warde's quote clearly shows where we stand, BC, not so much. Very noncommittal answer from Bates.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
From what I remember, there was intense interest when UConn & BC played about 10 years ago. If we ever had an annual home & home series with them, there's no doubt College Gameday would be there and it would be a circus.

Reaction Score
This is a rivalry thats needed to happen for the longest time. I don't see why establishing a legitimate annual rivalry game between both schools wouldn't be mutually beneficial as far as drawing more national attention to New England football; which would probably only help both schools in terms of recruiting, etc. Right now, nationwide, New England football isn't taken very seriously at all outside of the Patriots. There's no reason why this couldn't be the Michigan/Ohio State of the northeast. Maybe I'm just naive to think that, I don't know.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With all the turnover at BC, it's just hard to believe they still have an issue with this Blumenthal thing. For us, this game would be our only sell out at The Rent so we have to make it happen some how.....
It was never about the Blumenthal thing. It was always about not letting UConn compete on level playing field so the BCU could be "New England's team." If BCU ever decides to play us it will be because 1) they no longer think of us as a potential rival or 2) we will have surpassed them to the extent that game benefits them not us. #2 could happen if we go the B1G and have some level of national success. I doubt that #1 ever can because as long as we are playing big boy football, we are a threat.

Reaction Score
Offer them a 2 for 1. If they balk at that it shows they have no interest in competing with UCONN on even a tilted playing field. If that's the case move on. See if you can schedule a game with UMASS at Fenway Park just to shove it in their face. There is zero reason this game shouldn't be played. Even if its only a couple times a decade it should get done. Pride or fear are the only stumbling blocks here.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: BC and Pitt saw the writing on the wall when Miami and VT left and acted on it when the opportunity presented itself. If UConn football started a generation earlier things would have been a lot different but..... if you snooze you lose. The state and UConn in particular snoozed too long on Division 1 football and now they're paying the price for it. You can crap on BC all you want but it's only talk. They hold the cards and until UConn can produce a ranked, marketable football team that TV wants to show BC won't have a reason to play the Huskies when they can play Cuse, Pitt, ND, Miami, Clemson, Fla St, Louisville, the Virginia and Carolina schools. The lawsuit just gave BC another reason to NOT play UConn so you can thank your U S Senator for that colossal blunder.
UConn: put a winner out there like TCU, T. A&M and Boise St did and conferences will want you. Beat Missouri! beat BYU! Beat the teams that your not supposed to and folks will take notice including BC. Diaco needs to shut up and concentrate on strategy. Do your talking on the field pal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing shocking from the article. UConn wants it, some at BC who don't make the decisions want it but the higher-ups who are still butt hurt for being called out for the dogs that they were don't want it.
Is Leahy still there? Did he forget the messiah preached forgiveness?

Reaction Score
Bottom line: BC and Pitt saw the writing on the wall when Miami and VT left and acted on it when the opportunity presented itself. If UConn football started a generation earlier things would have been a lot different but..... if you snooze you lose. The state and UConn in particular snoozed too long on Division 1 football and now they're paying the price for it. You can crap on BC all you want but it's only talk. They hold the cards and until UConn can produce a ranked, marketable football team that TV wants to show BC won't have a reason to play the Huskies when they can play Cuse, Pitt, ND, Miami, Clemson, Fla St, Louisville, the Virginia and Carolina schools. The lawsuit just gave BC another reason to NOT play UConn so you can thank your U S Senator for that colossal blunder.
UConn: put a winner out there like TCU, T. A&M and Boise St did and conferences will want you. Diaco needs to shut up and concentrate on strategy. Do your talking on the field pal.
Well you talked about their stacked schedule and forget about some of the hideous teams they have on their schedule that they could easily replace for us.
3 of the first 4 home games are Maine, Howard and Northern Illinois.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've never been to a game I wanted more than the Big East opener at BC. I was sitting in the second or third row and wanted to climb on the field and fight someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom