UConn -3.5 St. Marys | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn -3.5 St. Marys

Reaction Score
Here in Albany. St Mary’s doesn’t scare anyone. Play our game and good things will happen.
There are only 3 or 4 teams that can beat UConn when the huskies play well. Iona, which i read a dozen stories about how they were going to be tough, played as well as it could play in the first half and led by 2.

This game was a mortal lock. Huskies aren’t a 4-seed. Sometimes, believe the data.

Reaction Score
2890A46D-4BB6-4E36-91E7-9ADF0048C4F5.png

Reaction Score
I live 5 minutes from St Mary's and have been to many games. Yes as Methodology stated they are solid with a freshman guard who can handle the pressure and be a leader. I'm all UCONN with this matchup and yes we better come to play.
Maybe u should collaborate with Hey Adrien on the scouting report ;)

Reaction Score
They only really go 6 deep. 3 shooters. Play really, really slow.

If we handle our stuff defensively, they don't have the size or athleticism to defend us.
Are they, in any way, like Princeton in their play?

caw

Reaction Score
They have a very good defense (on metrics) and they did play Houston close. They ran some really nice back cuts against VCU today and blew up their press (mostly after Baldwin was out).

The one game they won against Gonzaga it was due to defense and unexpected offense. And a stellar last 5 minutes plus OT.

The team closest to UConn that SMC has played is probably Gonzaga, because they haven't really faced any other big man who is as good as Sanogo/Timme. To be honest Gonzaga probably should have won all three matches this year. People would strung up Hurley if he lost that one game. Think UConn is more physical and athletic.

I am not even sure SMC wins against VCU without that second half injury to Baldwin. It was a four point game when he went down.

Still their defense did shutdown VCU today and they didn't seem phased by the press at all (not that UConn really presses like that, sometimes to try and control tempo, but not as much for steals). Add in the fact it's the NCAAT and Purdue lost to FDU and while UConn should win, SMC could pull it out if UConn isn't focused.

Reaction Score
Are they, in any way, like Princeton in their play?

Are you asking if they run a princeton offense? Does princeton even run a princeton offense any more?

I just said what they have in common. Smaller, less athletic, skilled (shooters), but not very deep. They win by methodically hunting good shots and playing slow.

That IS playing like Princeton (or any of the ivies) versus high-major teams.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Joey C has any helpful insight. He played against St. Mary’s at least 8 times I assume. They have a couple seniors and a junior as starters, so he played against those guys directly.

I looked it up and neither he, nor his Toreros had good games against the west coast Gaels last year. Hopefully we can help him get some revenge!

Reaction Score
Wonder if Joey C has any helpful insight. He played against St. Mary’s at least 8 times I assume. They have a couple seniors and a junior as starters, so he played against those guys directly.

I looked it up and neither he, nor his Toreros had good games against the west coast Gaels last year. Hopefully we can help him get some revenge!
Yes, he does. He will share his thoughts with Luke Murray, who is doing the scouting report.

Reaction Score
I continue believing that if you're going to bet us as a favorite, bet us against the spread. If we win, it's going to be by double digits. If you're feeling really bold, you could probably tease this up to -7.5 or so to get extra odds in your favor while not sacrificing much percentage-wise.

Reaction Score
They have a very good defense (on metrics) and they did play Houston close. They ran some really nice back cuts against VCU today and blew up their press (mostly after Baldwin was out).

The one game they won against Gonzaga it was due to defense and unexpected offense. And a stellar last 5 minutes plus OT.

The team closest to UConn that SMC has played is probably Gonzaga, because they haven't really faced any other big man who is as good as Sanogo/Timme. To be honest Gonzaga probably should have won all three matches this year. People would strung up Hurley if he lost that one game. Think UConn is more physical and athletic.

I am not even sure SMC wins against VCU without that second half injury to Baldwin. It was a four point game when he went down.

Still their defense did shutdown VCU today and they didn't seem phased by the press at all (not that UConn really presses like that, sometimes to try and control tempo, but not as much for steals). Add in the fact it's the NCAAT and Purdue lost to FDU and while UConn should win, SMC could pull it out if UConn isn't focused.
I agree we want to push the pace , if we turn them over great but we want them to never really get set in that offense .
The report said they could defensive rebound . That‘s more difficult to do if we can get them to hurry .
Pace will be everything .
We can’t let them get comfortable in long offensive sets .

Reaction Score
Yes, he does. He will share his thoughts with Luke Murray, who is doing the scouting report.

Joey was 0-6 in his career against them. Last year had a total of 9 points against them in 2 games. He is due.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
$100 on the moneyline. Got -145 after the DK bonus. Let’s goooo. Section 201 in the house.

Reaction Score
I’m usually saying I can’t believe uconns favored by this many points and so and so - but this one really has me surprised / how is UConn only giving 3.5 vs st Mary’s especially after the second half we had - That means we’re in for a nailbiter. Very surprised. Thought more like -6 ish

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m usually saying I can’t believe uconns favored by this many points and so and so - but this one really has me surprised / how is UConn only giving 3.5 vs st Mary’s especially after the second half we had - That means we’re in for a nailbiter. Very surprised. Thought more like -6 ish
My take, and it’s why I didn’t touch the line even when I saw it at -3, St. Mary’s limits possessions and plays slow. So the pace alone could mean you won’t get to those larger margins. Obviously UConn needs to change that if it can. Nobody wants to be in a 3 point game late.

I want to see UConn with an early lead, which might speed St. Mary’s up. Can’t come out slow today.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My take, and it’s why I didn’t touch the line even when I saw it at -3, St. Mary’s limits possessions and plays slow. So the pace alone could mean you won’t get to those larger margins. Obviously UConn needs to change that if it can. Nobody wants to be in a 3 point game late.

I want to see UConn with an early lead, which might speed St. Mary’s up. Can’t come out slow today.
First 7 minutes are huge

Reaction Score
Yup. I loaded -3.5, then I'm hoping to get about a 1/5th of that bet on SMU +6.5 / +7.5, then a little smaller bet at +9.5. We win by 6 and I hit the gap. I think/hope we come out fast and SMU is like a deer in headlights. Hawkins and Sanogo shook off the nerves in the second half and if we can carry that over to a good start, we can handle them settling in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom