UCLA: Toughest RS game of yr? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCLA: Toughest RS game of yr?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It takes a few days to acclimate to a 3-hour time change. And then there's the fatigue of traveling. I think that the losses to Stanford out there were in no small part due to jet lag. So the UCLA game could be very tough for the same reason.

And add to that the fact that these kids are already tired from two games in 48 hours, and those came after another trip.
They're kids. I went to Europe with my family and while my husband an I dragged from the time change going over and coming back my college aged sons were fine.

Reaction Score
I think any mortal team would be at a disadvantage here. Fresh off Playing a tougher opponent in Maryland, flying out across country, time change and factor in a short bench minus Lou, I'd say bet UCLA. BUT we are talking about uconn, it is early in the season(no burnout yet)and yes they are what 20 year olds?!! I suppose we will win comfy ha

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They're kids. I went to Europe with my family and while my husband an I dragged from the time change going over and coming back my college aged sons were fine.
It’s great to be young. At this point in my life I get tired walking from the living room to the kitchen and back. :oops:

Reaction Score
They'll earn double miles....Wait a minute....didn't they charter?
Big difference me thinks.

All kidding aside, even in a charter those tall girls are cramped for space.
No charters to the West Coast.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Instead of fretting over individual matchups, let's answer these question.

Can UCLA stop or significantly reduce all of our scoring options? Remember, we have 5 starters who can score double digits as we have seen. I say no.

Can UCLA stop or impede Z, Gabby and Pheesa from getting double - doubles? No, they can't stop all three.

Sure we are all going to watch Crystal vs. Jordan. We all want to see Gabby or Z vs. Billings. It makes for great theater. It draws in fans. But the bottom line is that basketball is a team sport of 5 on 5. The best 5 usually come out on top.

Reaction Score
Traveling east to west--with the sun--is not nearly as debilitating as traveling west to east. Plus, while it's easy to project fatigue through the experience of our older bodies, these are 19-20 year-old kids so they recover more quickly.

More worrisome for me will be if the Bruins are able to take care of the basketball, limit both turnovers and Husky transition baskets and force UConn to execute in the half-court.

I'm not sure how this one goes so while I'm optimistic, I'm also nervous.
I think you just nicely summed up the Bruins game plan

Reaction Score
I think people are overly concerned about the time difference. It's a 10:30 game for them. I used to have rec games at 11 and then people still had the energy to drink until 2 and make it to 8 am class the next day :) . I'm sure they are resting throughout the day and will be more than capable of a 3 hour time difference. Man I miss college energy...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Without a doubt this is the toughest RS game of the year. No Lou, an away game and jet lag against a quick, athletic team with a great guard. Almost all the losses in the last seven years, except for Baylor, have been against guards that we couldn't defend - Diggins, McBride, Amber Orange, Lili Thompson and Morgan Wooten. I hate to say it but this game has all the ingredients for an upset.
Morgan Wooten? LoL.
Don't see an upset here. With Z starting that frees Gabby up to be a perimeter defender to hound or help on Canada. I have UCONN winning or even on ALL the other defensive matchups.

Reaction Score
It takes a few days to acclimate to a 3-hour time change. And then there's the fatigue of traveling. I think that the losses to Stanford out there were in no small part due to jet lag. So the UCLA game could be very tough for the same reason.

And add to that the fact that these kids are already tired from two games in 48 hours, and those came after another trip.
Travel west is far less difficult to "recover" from than travel east. Did both trips often during my working days.

They arrived Sunday night...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think people are overly concerned about the time difference. It's a 10:30 game for them. I used to have rec games at 11 and then people still had the energy to drink until 2 and make it to 8 am class the next day :) . I'm sure they are resting throughout the day and will be more than capable of a 3 hour time difference. Man I miss college energy...
College kids don't go to bed before 1 am these days, no matter what school. One of my sons went to school in Massachusetts and the other is in North Carolina. Both are night owls.

Reaction Score
Too bad that the TV coverage will be entirely within the arena, because the UCLA campus is one of the most beautiful in the world, and Westwood is marvelous. Went to college nearby, going to Westwood and UCLA was a real treat!

Reaction Score
Crystal is much better than Canada ....

That being said, it's good the boneyard has a team to worry about. I'll be happy if nobody else gets hurt. Crystal having to stare at Canada's picture for the plane ride was a good one. Jet Lag or not, UCONN can only be inspired, never tired.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I sure hope so considering how weak the competition has been up to this point. Stanford looked like they hadn't played together before, the same for Cal, and Maryland looked like they didn't even have a program last year. Hard to judge where we are against teams like that.

UCONN beat UCLA 86-71 last season while only losing the 3rd qtr 17-21. UCLA returns 3 starters - Billings (17 pts/16 rebounds last season), Burke (5 pts/4 rebs), Canada (20 pts/11 assists) against UCONN. Hayes played 19 minutes (3/2). Burke appears to have improved. She had 19 pts against Baylor. UCLA has a lot young players. Drummer had 9 boards against Baylors while UCLA was out rebounded by 14 boards. They have two AA caliber players Billings and Canada. Considering the UCONN starters' talent and conditioning, it would seem UCONN should win by 15-20. Only Stevens or Gabby getting into foul trouble could jeopardize the final score. Canada was leaps and bounds better than Dangerfield last season. This will be a really good game to measure just how big a sophomore jump Dangerfield has made. Canada had 20 pts and 11 assists against Baylor. Billings scored 21 against Brown and company.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Unplug Samuelson and insert Stevens. Replace frosh Dangerfield with PUMPED UP Sophomore Dangerfield. You have the same result or even better.
upload_2017-11-21_10-42-21.png

Reaction Score
College kids don't go to bed before 1 am these days, no matter what school. One of my sons went to school in Massachusetts and the other is in North Carolina. Both are night owls.
Mine doesn't like it, but her course load and homework keep her up to 1 am most nights.

Reaction Score
Actually, probably Oahu or maybe if your Larry Ellison it would be Lanai.
The number thrown around was 5000 miles---3000 to San Fran---another 1000 to Honolulu and another 1000 to Midway.
Since I never walked it or even rode my bicycle to either place --I'm guessing from my water rides to either place.

Reaction Score
Those are the same people claiming they are UConn fans and with UConn players photo in their avatar but cannot allow others to not like their belove players in west coast such as Plum, Canada and Ionescu.

I wish those same people can explain to me how is Plum's great in WNBA compared to Gray, Davis and Jones now.

Kelsey Plum WNBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
The problems as I see is: Some fan's of other teams fail to READ the Title Line above---it says Uconn Women's Basketball--aren't we supposed to think Uconn players first, UCLA, TN, MD, etc second. Supporting UC WBB is what this site is about, I thought?????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom