UCLA: Toughest RS game of yr? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA: Toughest RS game of yr?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it seems remarkably dismissive of Canada. Dangerfield has had 3 good games to start her soph year. Canada has proven herself to be one of the best PG in the country during her career. Maybe Dangerfield is better than Canada, but "much" better reeks to me of hyperbole or homerism.
Hyperbole + homerism + dismissing other talent = about 80% of the content here.

This is a fan board, one must remember.

Reaction Score
Yes, probably the toughest game of the regular season under the circumstances. But that doesn't change my prediction of an undefeated season. :cool:
Fully agree. UConn has beat 3 top 25 schools in last 1 week.
I think UCLA and Texas may be the 2 toughest game. I think this schedule is , may be the toughest ever. But I believe we will win all.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

UConn has a remarkable history as a program and a seemingly endless procession of outstanding players. I don't understand why it's often like pulling teeth to get some Husky fans to be able to acknowledge there are some other really good players from some other teams as well.

I think Canada and Billings can hold their own against UConn (they did last year in the Tourney), but the rest of the Bruins roster is not on par with the Huskies, so UConn should win. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game and not a laugher by halftime.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UConn has a remarkable history as a program and a seemingly endless procession of outstanding players. I don't understand why it's often like pulling teeth to get some Husky fans to be able to acknowledge there are some other really good players from some other teams as well.

I think Canada and Billings can hold their own against UConn (they did last year in the Tourney), but the rest of the Bruins roster is not on par with the Huskies, so UConn should win. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game and not a laugher by halftime.
Totally disagree with that - I'd prefer to be up by 20 at half time, and then have a spirited 2nd half... :)

Reaction Score
I am basing what I have seen and what I think, anything wrong?
Hold on there---that's not the opinion I gave you to give!!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it seems remarkably dismissive of Canada. Dangerfield has had 3 good games to start her soph year. Canada has proven herself to be one of the best PG in the country during her career. Maybe Dangerfield is better than Canada, but "much" better reeks to me of hyperbole or homerism.

Hyperbole--maybe! Homerism--hell yes! If you want loads of personal love for your team, use your board, but here on the BY we are HOMER's --we love our HOME TEAM--UCONN, --yes, like Brenda, I am prone to puff up a player here and there on Uconn---that's the team on the title line above: UCONN WOMEN'S BASKETBALL.
Now I know that sounds nasty and probably nastier than you deserve or I really meant. But common sense to me says: Don't post on the Tenn Vols site that they are somehow wrong puffing up Nared. It won't work there nor here. \
If not for hyperbole--exaggeration--much of sports talk would end with one word. Here Opinions are Opinions..Some guys love stats--some don't.

Reaction Score

'

I liked a few of your comments on UCLA because they were Homerism;s and maybe accurate with a touch of hyperbole. I liked all that. I think mostly you were correct. Shall we start again and puff up our own team neglecting the above wording??
I watched the April Uconn/UCLA game and saw talent and excellent coaching, and my worry warts began to grow. Home for UCLA, the time difference won't effect them, home crowd, talent and experience in all 5 positions--no doubt UCLA is a threat--big threat--see, no hyperbole, no homerisms!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, you're thinking if off by a mile. I too am very impressed with Dangerfield's vast improvement, but she isn't better than Canada at this point. And, she won't be better than Canada even if she has (hopefully) a better game tomorrow night.
Remains to be seen, isn't it? That's why the games are played ---to test players against player. You cannot really judge the comparison between 2 player without seeing them head to head. At 1 AM East time Wed morning we'll have a better facts to analyze on Danger/Quebec (that's Canada to me)

Reaction Score
Totally disagree with that - I'd prefer to be up by 20 at half time, and then have a spirited 2nd half... :)
Those are the same people claiming they are UConn fans and with UConn players photo in their avatar but cannot allow others to not like their belove players in west coast such as Plum, Canada and Ionescu.

I wish those same people can explain to me how is Plum's great in WNBA compared to Gray, Davis and Jones now.

Kelsey Plum WNBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Reaction Score
UCLA will be a handful, for many of the reasons mentioned above. You cannot discount the importance of jet lag. That and a couple of first-class UCLA players may well cause UConn some problems, especially if UConn cannot get off to the incredible first quarter start that has characterized the first three games. If their first quarter is more like the second or third, it will be a close game. I still see UConn winning, but by no more than maybe 10.

Reaction Score

When trying to have a objective conversation on here, you have to be able to weed out the Pom Pom wavers if you know what I mean. Or else you’re wasting your time. ;)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Give a wide berth, consider the source, and pick your battles. Sadly, exorbitant success does not always engender humility or objectivity.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Those are the same people claiming they are UConn fans and with UConn players photo in their avatar but cannot allow others to not like their belove players in west coast such as Plum, Canada and Ionescu.

I wish those same people can explain to me how is Plum's great in WNBA compared to Gray, Davis and Jones now.

Kelsey Plum WNBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Plum's rookie year was disappointing, no doubt about it. That doesn't take anything away from her Sr. season or her college career.

Reaction Score
Some on this board are concerned about Canada. Does anyone think she will score anymore than Charles did yesterday? Yet her team got blown out. Billings can be neutralized. If Uconn is not thoroughly tired, they should win the game. I don't think it will be a blowout but I believe they will win, especially if they play defense like they have so far. UCLA has not faced a defense like that so far this season. Stay out of foul trouble and cut down on turnovers. However, if Uconn does lose, it will be to a good team at their place. A UCLA win could be a drawing card for Ezi, seeing how Harvat could tell her that UCLA beat Uconn without her and think what they could do with her. But, if Uconn wins, that could go far in getting her to commit to Geno. Just saying.

I expect a tough game. I think Canada is a terrific pg and better than Danger and she'll be comfortable at home. I'd go all out to make her as uncomfortable as possible. Refs coudl play big in a game like this without any UCONN bench.

Reaction Score
Traveling east to west--with the sun--is not nearly as debilitating as traveling west to east. Plus, while it's easy to project fatigue through the experience of our older bodies, these are 19-20 year-old kids so they recover more quickly.

More worrisome for me will be if the Bruins are able to take care of the basketball, limit both turnovers and Husky transition baskets and force UConn to execute in the half-court.

I'm not sure how this one goes so while I'm optimistic, I'm also nervous.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
IMHO the two biggest keys for UConn against UCLA are 3 pt shooting and staying out of foul trouble. Without Samuelson UConn really has only 1 proven 3 point shooter in Nurse. Will Dangerfield shoot the ball more like she did against Stanford/Cal or Maryland? Can Stevens and Collier step out and knock down a few 3s? UConn's offense opens up so much when teams are forced to extend their defense and guard against the 3. This allows the high/low, low block, and back cutting for easy layups to open up. If UConn is cold from the outside and UCLA is able to sag and take away the paint, it could be tough going for the Huskies.

The injuries to Samuelson and Camara also means that the main rotation is essentially 6 players. If one of the starters were to get into early foul trouble there is not much help(yet) to be had on the bench. Being on the road I don't expect any help from the officials and a couple of bad calls or dumb fouls could really change this game fast. UConn needs to play smart and can't give fouls away.

If UConn is able to do both of these I think they win by 15-20, if not it could be anyone's game.

Reaction Score
UCONN with KLS would beat UCLA by 20 to 25+ points!
Without her the margin of error is smaller, but with Nurse, Crystal Dangerfield, Collier, Azura, Gabby, & Walker, UCONN wins the battle of more superior athletes than UCLA can put out there! There is no underestimating the huge talent of Canada & Billings, with Burke a step behind but that is where the similarities end!
The trip to the "left coast" and time change will take some toll but the 1st 5 I name above is prepared for that, the rest of the Huskies may find some problems with it but the strength is our strength for a reason and will pull through a 10 to 15 point win!
We will not see a repeat of the 25 TO's / Gabby 10 TO's, the coaching staff will make sure of that, so if UCLA is to pull out a victory their lesser talent is going to have to play way above their pay grade!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal is much better than Canada ....
Crystal was a little more highly regarded than Canada coming out of high school. Jordan is older and more experienced, but I think Crystal will welcome the challenge. If she can hold her own, we'll be just fine.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Will be at our daughter's house for dinner tomorrow night here in Las Vegas. Thank God her cable provider has ESPNU so we'll be able to see the game live as an after dinner treat.

We fly to Reno on Monday for Gabby's homecoming game and then home to Florida on the 30th. A long series of trips for a pair of 73 year olds.

The ladies help keep us in the "game." :D:D

Reaction Score
Without a doubt this is the toughest RS game of the year. No Lou, an away game and jet lag against a quick, athletic team with a great guard. Almost all the losses in the last seven years, except for Baylor, have been against guards that we couldn't defend - Diggins, McBride, Amber Orange, Lili Thompson and Morgan Wooten. I hate to say it but this game has all the ingredients for an upset.

Reaction Score
The person using "dismissive" word is you not me.
I use the word "much better" is my personal opinion. If you don't like you don't need to read. Everyone is entitled to an opinion like you said.

I think 99.9% of neutral knowledgeable basketball fans would disagree with you.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Yes but the other 20% is often the most interesting parts of this board. Hope we do not scare off such contributions.

Reaction Score
Remains to be seen, isn't it? That's why the games are played ---to test players against player. You cannot really judge the comparison between 2 player without seeing them head to head. At 1 AM East time Wed morning we'll have a better facts to analyze on Danger/Quebec (that's Canada to me)

No, it doesn't! You cannot evaluate a player's overall talents and abilities, or determine a definitive ranking comparison between two players based on one head-to-head game and/or a small sampling of a few games. Player evaluations and comparisons between one another should always be based on a much broader criteria, i.e., a season for example. That's why AA and POY final selections are made at the end of the season, not at the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom