UCLA: Toughest RS game of yr? | The Boneyard

UCLA: Toughest RS game of yr?

Reaction Score
Lou is out
UConn just played Fri & Sun, and then had to fly 5,000 miles [oops 3000!] out west to play a late game tmow
UCLA is a lot of upperclassmen & good guards

Now I think SC & TX are going to have great noisy crowds, and ND has a bunch of new faces which could make them trickier to prepare for, but I can envision this being a tough one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They'll earn double miles....Wait a minute....didn't they charter?
Big difference me thinks.

All kidding aside, even in a charter those tall girls are cramped for space.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Some on this board are concerned about Canada. Does anyone think she will score anymore than Charles did yesterday? Yet her team got blown out. Billings can be neutralized. If Uconn is not thoroughly tired, they should win the game. I don't think it will be a blowout but I believe they will win, especially if they play defense like they have so far. UCLA has not faced a defense like that so far this season. Stay out of foul trouble and cut down on turnovers. However, if Uconn does lose, it will be to a good team at their place. A UCLA win could be a drawing card for Ezi, seeing how Harvat could tell her that UCLA beat Uconn without her and think what they could do with her. But, if Uconn wins, that could go far in getting her to commit to Geno. Just saying.

Reaction Score
this is probably going to be a battle against a really quick attacking team, with no KLS and the offense still not clicking an upset loss is not totally out of the question........... if UConn can control the boards, hit some shots from the outside and limit turnovers they'll pull away in the second half..............if not it could be a real tough one........

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A great preview in the Courant: UConn, Geno Auriemma Prepare To Visit John Wooden's Home

Close, in fact, is somewhat of a link between Wooden and Auriemma. While she considers Wooden a mentor and she carries his spirit with her program, she is also an unabashed fan of Auriemma and five years ago she brought her entire UCLA staff to Storrs to watch UConn practice.

“I think Coach Wooden and Coach Auriemma have a very high attention to detail,” Close said before the UConn-UCLA Sweet 16 matchup in March. “And they are always going to be pushing the envelope of your best … I think their styles are vastly different, but that’s something they really share in common is an extreme attention to detail and a consistency to push that envelope, that there’s more, there’s more, even to help their players find gears inside of them that maybe they didn’t even know they had.”​

Auriemma's praise for Billings: “I don’t know that there’s many more athletic teams anywhere in the country,” Auriemma said. “Monique Billings, she’s ridiculous. I marvel when I watch her play on tape or in person. … She’s aggressive, she’s athletic, she plays hard, she’s a competitor. She’s a lot of things, and she’s a great free throw shooter, so you can’t foul her. She’s a handful. This will be the first time in a while that Gabby’s going to face somebody that’s right there with her, athletically.”

And for Jordin Canada: “If you don’t get better every year, if you stay the same every year, at some point you’re ineffective in college basketball. Jordin Canada, from her very first game as a freshman until today, the transformation of her game has been unbelievable.” Auriemma believes Canada has turned UCLA into an elite team, “as good as any team in the country.” He joked that he would try to put Canada’s picture on whatever device Dangerfield was using during the cross-country flight so the UConn guard will spend a few days thinking about the matchup.

Reaction Score
It takes a few days to acclimate to a 3-hour time change. And then there's the fatigue of traveling. I think that the losses to Stanford out there were in no small part due to jet lag. So the UCLA game could be very tough for the same reason.

And add to that the fact that these kids are already tired from two games in 48 hours, and those came after another trip.

Plebe

Reaction Score
What's an RS game?
I'm gonna guess "regular season."

Took me a while because I kept thinking "right side" due to influence of volleyball.

Reaction Score
Lou is out
UConn just played Fri & Sun, and then had to fly 5,000 miles [oops 3000!] out west to play a late game tmow

Now I think SC & TX are going to have great noisy crowds, and ND has a bunch of new faces which could make them trickier to prepare for, but I can envision this being a tough one.
\

I posted elsewhere that I would not be surprised if the score it tied at the half. UCLA is a good team, at home, great crowd--Uconn with an unfriendly crowd--the core 4 may take that in stride but not the Frosh and maybe not the Sophs. So Geno may have 5 he can count on. If UCLA runs and runs--as they like to do--tough night (10:30 to 12 30 or more PM) Ct bodies are on CT time--2 days does not fix the body that quickly. If this is a win--this can then be called a very good or great team..

Reaction Score
I'm gonna guess "regular season."

Took me a while because I kept thinking "right side" due to influence of volleyball.
California is quintessential "left" side

Reaction Score
Lou is out

I sure hope so considering how weak the competition has been up to this point. Stanford looked like they hadn't played together before, the same for Cal, and Maryland looked like they didn't even have a program last year. Hard to judge where we are against teams like that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I believe Texas will be our toughest challenge. UCLA will be no picnic, but I foresee an 18-20 point win. Anyone catch them against Baylor? They basically went 7 deep and the bench scored 5 points.

Danger vs. Canada? gonna be a great matchup! I love Danger but give the slight edge to Canada.

Azura or Gabby vs. Billings? Another great matchup. (Geno may put Stevens on Billings so Gabby can cover Burke)

Burke vs. Williams? Large edge to UCONN

Collier vs. Drummer? Big edge to UCONN

Nurse vs. Hayes? Big edge to UCONN

Walker vs. Horvat or Onyenwere? Let's call it a draw.

I like UCLA. I think they are a legit final 4 team. I just think UCONN is that much better...

Plebe

Reaction Score
I believe Texas will be our toughest challenge. UCLA will be no picnic, but I foresee an 18-20 point win. Anyone catch them against Baylor? They basically went 7 deep and the bench scored 5 points.

Danger vs. Canada? gonna be a great matchup! I love Danger but give the slight edge to Canada.

Azura or Gabby vs. Billings? Another great matchup. (Geno may put Stevens on Billings so Gabby can cover Burke)

Burke vs. Williams? Large edge to UCONN

Collier vs. Drummer? Big edge to UCONN

Nurse vs. Hayes? Big edge to UCONN

Walker vs. Horvat or Onyenwere? Let's call it a draw.

I like UCLA. I think they are a legit final 4 team. I just think UCONN is that much better...
I think it's instructive to review what happened last year in the Sweet 16. UCLA's two pillars, obviously, are Canada and Billings. And both played very well in that game: Canada had 20 points and 11 assists, while Billings had 17 points and 16 rebounds.

UCLA got decent 3-point shooting (9 of 27), but where they lost it was that their X factors Burke and Hayes had bad games, combining for 8 points on 3-of-14 shooting. A very big reason why UCLA was able to pull away from Baylor was that they got good production from those two, especially Burke.

It can't be overstated how all things for UCLA run through Canada: She either scored or assisted on 69% of UCLA's points (49 of 71) in last year's game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I am basing what I have seen and what I think, anything wrong?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it seems remarkably dismissive of Canada. Dangerfield has had 3 good games to start her soph year. Canada has proven herself to be one of the best PG in the country during her career. Maybe Dangerfield is better than Canada, but "much" better reeks to me of hyperbole or homerism.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It takes a few days to acclimate to a 3-hour time change. And then there's the fatigue of traveling. I think that the losses to Stanford out there were in no small part due to jet lag. So the UCLA game could be very tough for the same reason.

And add to that the fact that these kids are already tired from two games in 48 hours, and those came after another trip.

Traveling east to west--with the sun--is not nearly as debilitating as traveling west to east. Plus, while it's easy to project fatigue through the experience of our older bodies, these are 19-20 year-old kids so they recover more quickly.

More worrisome for me will be if the Bruins are able to take care of the basketball, limit both turnovers and Husky transition baskets and force UConn to execute in the half-court.

I'm not sure how this one goes so while I'm optimistic, I'm also nervous.

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it seems remarkably dismissive of Canada. Dangerfield has had 3 good games to start her soph year. Canada has proven herself to be one of the best PG in the country during her career. Maybe Dangerfield is better than Canada, but "much" better reeks to me of hyperbole or homerism.
The person using "dismissive" word is you not me.
I use the word "much better" is my personal opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion like you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom