UCLA Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCLA Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I am just so happy for the team to get this win today! OMG. Hearing all of the negative comments, can eat at your confidence and messes with your head. I am just so happy for all of them. Seeing Dorka shine out there. These are the types of games that fuel your confidence and it showed today. Love that she is always on the floor. Falling or just crashing into somebody. Just be safe out there, young lady.

Seeing Caroline attacking the basket more with each game, is just an awesome sight to see. Her confidence is growing. AE looked a little more comfortable out there. Loved that steal and layup. She is going to keep getting better each game/practice. Caroline Ducharme just has to keep attacking the rim. 4-13 wasn't pretty but it wasn't like she was forcing shots. Keep attacking the rim, Caroline Ducharme. Evina....the truth! She had that look the whole game. She was not going to let this team down. Love the fire this young lady has.

Looking at the stat sheet. This is what I was thinking that the team would look like back in the summer. That balanced scoring attack. You got five players with double figures. If this can continue, which I hope that it does, this is what we were all talking about this summer of "what could be" if the pieces all come together. Great win today. Huge boost to the mind and soul for these young ladies. I am just over here happy as heck from them.

Let's go, UConn!!

Reaction Score
one other thought on the refs, for this whole year the refs seem to be calling tie ups very quickly. On one today it seemed like there was a fight for the ball, it was never tied up, we came away with it but the ref had already blown the whistle. Is this a change in focus this year?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The post-game interview with geno was interesting. he said Dorka came to see him in his office and told him she was wandering on offense and didnt know where to be. Geno said go where you want to be & we'll find you & get you the ball. An example of simplifying the offense and playing to the players' strengths. Dorka was a beast inside today, even while getting hacked all day.

Geno can still coach! Not simplifying but adapting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
one other thought on the refs, for this whole year the refs seem to be calling tie ups very quickly. On one today it seemed like there was a fight for the ball, it was never tied up, we came away with it but the ref had already blown the whistle. Is this a change in focus this year?
Yes. Evina ripped the ball out in about a nanosecond, and they called a held ball.

Reaction Score
One thing that bothers me about Dorka is that she appears to lose the ball from her hands when nobody has touched it. But her overall game today was outstanding. And she looked like she was enjoying the game.
Dorka overall is a plus contributer, but I agree her ability to hold onto the ball
is not one of her strengths.

Reaction Score
I have to say I’m really proud of this team. From the second quarter on they looked completely different, almost reinvigorated. I loved to see all the fight they showed even through adversity. Even Geno was showing some fight for his players. Fourth quarter got scary, but they pulled it off. Something they need to be better at going forward.

Dorka and Caroline really contributed to the win. Caroline took a lot and missed a lot, but the shots she hit were timely. She hit a big three going into half and then another big three in the fourth. I thought they both played really smart and made some key plays. Dorka had a big night and congrats to her; first UCONN double double and reached 1000 career points. Liv had another nice game, I really like the way she’s been playing this season. CW I thought was big in the fourth too, she just needs to put a whole game together. Evina carried this team early and did it all, gotta hit those free throws though.

Let’s hope we can keep this momentum going. It was a really good sign today to get a win with they players we had. Some of these wins may not be pretty, but if they played the way they did in the second quarter on I’ll be happy, even with a loss. I think Georgia Tech was so disappointing because it looked like no one wanted to be there or was even trying, I thought everyone was FIGHTING for that win today. With more practice they will continue to be more cohesive. Let’s close out the year strong and hope to see some injured players back soon.
We all hope to see some injured players come back soon. But I don't think you'll see anyone before mid-January. And that report from Holly during the game on her research into Paige's injury ( or those similar) was very dismaying. It sounds like Paige will need far more than 6-8 weeks, and the need for surgery is likely. Not much point speculating until we have more facts from her medical team, but I am hopeful that, whatever therapy is needed, she can return 100% when ready. Even if it is not this season.

Reaction Score
A lot of people were questioning whether Geno could coach and/or the team could play. Last game they had known for 3 days or so that they wouldn't have their all-world point guard and 1 day that they wouldn't have their backup point guard. That game looked like it. The beginning of this one did, too. But they got it together.

Geno can coach, and the team can play.

Shoutout to Evina for keeping them in the game early and Dorka for doing what I knew she could do.
Far be it of me to disagree or have a different point of view than you or 100 other BY'ers on this. BUT!
Often in the ACC or BE games of recent history, after a rough game, like SC or GT--going into a team like UCLA or Butler or even Marquette and winning , small or big, proves little except the talent of Uconn is better on that day. All the lessons that MUST be learned still need teaching. I like the win. It was better than losing. There are issues how big how small only the coaching staff knows and can fix, if fix able. When Paige returns for weeks if not more she won't be the Paige that went down. Uconn really needs 4 others to fill up 1/2 of what Paige has done or the season won't end where most By-er thought 3 weeks ago. My different drum is still beating. No offense intended.

Reaction Score
If I were her father, I'd tell her if you want the Wnba and they want you, go for it. You can always coach later if that is your choice. When you graduate from Uconn W C B B you can do what ever floats your boat. Your life is your's I lived mine, I needn't live yours. I've made that speech multiple times to my own (except the Uconn/Wnba parts)
been a dad too long

Reaction Score
Before today, UConn was ranked 113/348 in D1 and 21/67 in the P5(+1) in FT shooting.
The thing is by Uconn standards, any statistic where Uconn is only in the top third or so nationally would be considered a team weakness. With the healthy players, we do not have as much three point or foul shooting as most Uconn teams. We were an easy team to deliberately foul.

In that scenario you don't want the ball in Liv, Dorka or Aaliyah's hands, and Evina and Christyn are only mediocre options. Part of me wanted to get the ball to Caroline despite her lack of experience in clutch situations. I am pretty sure when her uconn career is over her FT percentage will be way better than Evina's or Christyn's, as will of course Paige's and Azzi.

Reaction Score
Ok. Now that the dust has settled. That 3rd quarter could be the turning point of the season.

If and when Paige comes back-these minutes for all these players are going to pay dividends that are immeasurable
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I heard one of today’s announcers go into
the nature of Paige’s injury. She surmised that it would take much longer than 6 to 8 weeks to fully recover.

Reaction Score
I have to say I’m really proud of this team. From the second quarter on they looked completely different, almost reinvigorated. I loved to see all the fight they showed even through adversity. Even Geno was showing some fight for his players. Fourth quarter got scary, but they pulled it off. Something they need to be better at going forward.

Dorka and Caroline really contributed to the win. Caroline took a lot and missed a lot, but the shots she hit were timely. She hit a big three going into half and then another big three in the fourth. I thought they both played really smart and made some key plays. Dorka had a big night and congrats to her; first UCONN double double and reached 1000 career points. Liv had another nice game, I really like the way she’s been playing this season. CW I thought was big in the fourth too, she just needs to put a whole game together. Evina carried this team early and did it all, gotta hit those free throws though.

Let’s hope we can keep this momentum going. It was a really good sign today to get a win with they players we had. Some of these wins may not be pretty, but if they played the way they did in the second quarter on I’ll be happy, even with a loss. I think Georgia Tech was so disappointing because it looked like no one wanted to be there or was even trying, I thought everyone was FIGHTING for that win today. With more practice they will continue to be more cohesive. Let’s close out the year strong and hope to see some injured players back soon.
Yes.
TOTALLY different personality with this team today vs last.
And it wasn’t the opponent.
Team said ‘ not on our watch’.
Coach ‘em up Geno.
One game at a time.

Reaction Score
This was a confidence builder for a number of players and we certainly needed that. We held UCLA to 32.9% shooting folks. That is the game right there. Dorka is proving what most of us knew at the start of the year that SHE IS THE BEST REBOUNDER ON THIS TEAM. She blocks out well and works hard and has some size. She is still anxious and having some needless turnovers but it's from wanting to do well so badly. Starting Dorka and giving her more playing time gets her up to speed faster and frankly, it was overdue.

Caroline has the goods but she is going to take some time to develop. She didn't get any rolls today and she is one of the few on this team that is able to get to the basket. The zone doesn't help anyone on our team but she deals with it better than most. She can get her shot off against good competition. Defensively she doesn't hurt us folks. Look at the numbers with this lineup. Are people beating her off the dribble? No. Is she applying good defensive pressure? Yes. Chou was the player she was guarding most often and she was 1 for 11. Caroline had 2 blocks and she wasn't the only player who missed some shots.

Ono was pretty solid again. Overall though, from a player development standpoint, we made progress today.

Reaction Score
I say we are 50/50 against Louisville though. I wouldn't have said that until seeing the approach Geno is taking currently. Dorka and Caroline need to play. Long term, even if they don't end up starting, we are going to need them to be sharp. Now is a great time to give them the opportunity to contribute. We should have had more than a 6 rebound advantage against this team though, especially when they shot only 32.9%. We should be a dominant rebounding team. If we continue the strong defense and continue to play Dorka for the rebounding edge all we have to do is hit 35% of our 3 shots to beat even a top 10 team.

Reaction Score
I do believe that late in the game, the refs finally called a foul on UCLA for riding Dorka to the floor after she secured a loose ball.;)
ONO, Dorka and Aaliya all made multiple trips to the floor today...............Edward's attempt at taking a charge was particularly nasty.........I wasn't sure she was getting up...............I know I wouldn't have........but she did..........they will be feeling it tomorrow big time......

Reaction Score
The thing is by Uconn standards, any statistic where Uconn is only in the top third or so nationally would be considered a team weakness. With the healthy players, we do not have as much three point or foul shooting as most Uconn teams. We were an easy team to deliberately foul.

In that scenario you don't want the ball in Liv, Dorka or Aaliyah's hands, and Evina and Christyn are only mediocre options. Part of me wanted to get the ball to Caroline despite her lack of experience in clutch situations. I am pretty sure when her uconn career is over her FT percentage will be way better than Evina's or Christyn's, as will of course Paige's and Azzi.
Ducharme should be a 90% plus free throw shooter at UConn.............she was well over 90% in high school as I remember......

Reaction Score
This game reinforces something I don't understand. With all the talk by the "experts" about improving the women's game, not once have I seen anyone write about the officiating needing to get better. Sean McDonough said many years ago, while calling a game, that in order for the women's game to improve, the officiating needs to improve. He was right. If the powers that be really want to make changes to bring the women's game to a higher level, they will quit worrying about goodie bags, March Madness usage and adding four teams to the tournament just to match the men and focus on something that really makes a difference. Better officiating. All that other stuff is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic

As far as the games goes, today was a big step in the starting over process. Yes, starting over. They need to play as if none of the injured are coming back. If they can do that, then when players do start coming back, this bunch will have improved and maybe won't depend on the others so much. Dorka figuring out how she can move within the read and react offense and then approaching Geno with it is an example. And Geno did what good coaches do, adjusted, to the players he has right now.

Enjoyed the game.

Reaction Score
Me too, it happens often.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I heard one of today’s announcers go into
the nature of Paige’s injury. She surmised that it would take much longer than 6 to 8 weeks to fully recover.
ESPN just showed that Paige is considering surgery which would get her back by February. Her original projection was for January.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom