UCLA Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCLA Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyone who watched that game that doesn't feel that way. The refs should be brought into the NCAA office and 'Clockwork Oranged' for that display of ineptitude.
You assume the NCAA (Power 5) cares about unfairness to UConn. Why would you assume that???? They would likely review the call and say "nice job".

Reaction Score
Could somebody help me. Did UConn really play better, or did they play a weaker team? Or both?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
But they also called silly touch fouls, including a foul on Olivia that was a clean block. The officials called an uneven, chaotic game.
These were three veteran Final Four refs who looked like they never worked together before. That no call after the assault on Evina was the epitome of ineptitude.
When that ball was clearly off UCLA in the last minute, most fans held their breath because Dee Kantner was liable to screw up the call.
To my eye both at the game and watching the replay, another official was ready to have UCLA inbound the ball after that play, and it was Dee Kantner who blew her whistle and insisted on a video review. I have no idea why the video review took so long.

Reaction Score
To my eye both at the game and watching the replay, another official was ready to have UCLA inbound the ball after that play, and it was Dee Kantner who blew her whistle and insisted on a video review. I have no idea why the video review took so long.
Good call! I think one of the reasons these reviews take so long is the size of the monitor they use for replays. LOL...it looked like a popup I-Pad! But it's sad that the announcers have a more definitive view than the officials.

Reaction Score
Liv takes a physical beating in the post, but she does her best and toughs it out...some games she scores, others she gets rebounds, whatever she does it for the team as a unit. Without her, UConn would have more problems than it could deal with.
I think there are a couple of ways to look at Liv's play. To me it appears she is trying to play strong and aggressive. That is the good news and there have been a few plays this year where she powered thru contact instead of avoiding it. At the same time, she is not a wide body, and not strong around the basket whether the effort and intent is there or not.

The most disappointing thing to me about Liv is that for whatever reason she has not put on anywhere close to the amount of weight and muscle as she needed. I'm sure she is much stronger and in better condition than when she arrived as a freshmen, but if she ever wanted to insure a WNBA career or become an All American she probably needed at least another 20 pounds of muscle. Her attempts to play strong and aggressively have been impressive this year compared to other seasons, but if the body stays the same her ability to succeed inside will always be limited by that factor.

Reaction Score
Put the review on the big screen hanging down at center court for everyone to see
Exactly. I think the big screen convinced everyone that it was UCONN's ball. But the refs were squinting & staring at a miniature screen.

Reaction Score
I think there are a couple of ways to look at Liv's play. To me it appears she is trying to play strong and aggressive. That is the good news and there have been a few plays this year where she powered thru contact instead of avoiding it. At the same time, she is not a wide body, and not strong around the basket whether the effort and intent is there or not.

The most disappointing thing to me about Liv is that for whatever reason she has not put on anywhere close to the amount of weight and muscle as she needed. I'm sure she is much stronger and in better condition than when she arrived as a freshmen, but if she ever wanted to insure a WNBA career or become an All American she probably needed at least another 20 pounds of muscle. Her attempts to play strong and aggressively have been impressive this year compared to other seasons, but if the body stays the same her ability to succeed inside will always be limited by that factor.
Liv plays the 5 out of necessity. That's not her natural position or a position that matched her primary skills out of HS. She sacrificed A LOT. Imagine if she were able to concentrate more on her perimeter shooting which has been impressive. In fact, better than some of the guards. I'd like to see her play the 4 (where AE played a lot yesterday) and move AE to the 5. Liv is a superior high post passer. I keep wondering what would happen if she became a passer from the short wing.

Reaction Score
The early schedule will help this team and Coaching staff tremendously. For me it makes for fun exciting season as we finally get to see UCONN tested. The evolution of the team before our very eyes. The then vs The now Effect.

Opponents of UCONN, will always, play like it's a Final four championship game. No matter who's not in uniform. We will get the opponents best effort, times ten.
I liked how our NEW rotation responded after getting punched in the gut early.
1. Dorka Juhasz Second UCONN start
2. Caroline Ducharme First career start
3. Third Line up change in 8 games

Noticed Geno and Evina were in constant communication throughout the game. That is important as we need a floor general while Paige is out.
First half, Caroline made a few freshman mistakes which is to be expected, but the important piece is she didn't let it bother her effort. Once she gets an understanding of College game she will be an absolute Terror.
Dorka had her best game and gave us strong glimpse of what it can be as she's still trying to figure it out. Her rebounding aggression is something that will be much needed for the season.
One thing I noticed is how lost we look on offense when ONO isn't on the court. Dorka and Aliyah seem to struggle as the High Post facilitator. This causes Oliva to play heavy minutes which leads to foul trouble. Christyn and Evina, will have, ups and downs as they log heavy minutes. They most likely will be guarding opponents best perimeter players and ask to do the bulk of the scoring, for 30 plus minutes a night. That's a heavy challenge when there are no subs to replace them.

Reaction Score
Bean, agree with your post and predict Caroline's shooting % will go up once the other players get more confidence in her abilities. At times, it has seemed that CD was standing in perfect shooting position and didn't get the ball. Once Caroline shows more consistentcy, likely Geno will make sure she gets shots in her "happy spots."
if and when Azzi comes back UConn will have sufficient long range shooting between her and Caroline which should free up inside play a whole lot

Reaction Score
Good call! I think one of the reasons these reviews take so long is the size of the monitor they use for replays. LOL...it looked like a popup I-Pad! But it's sad that the announcers have a more definitive view than the officials.
Yeah they do that too in football. They use those tiny 8 inch monitors on a stick. Meanwhile the thing they are looking at is pretty obvious to those of us watching at home on a 65 or 80 inch TV.

sun

Reaction Score
IMO being televised on national TV as well as the friendly crowd must have helped the UConn performance.
Their trip to the FF gave them some experience preparing for a game played in the national spotlight.

Reaction Score
The full game replay has been posted. That would be the best answer for you.

I watched the game, and I was happy with the win. But UCLA might be ranked 75. I’m not sure beating a weak team, and struggling to do so, shows improvement over losing to GT. It reminds me of the great game that CW had against Minnesota. It meant little other than Minnesota was not a good team.

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m a committed fan that watches every game. I just don’t want to live in a fantasy land, and I wanted to hear other opinions.

Thanks, Stymie, for your response.

sun

Reaction Score
I wouldn't complain about the officials taking the extra time to review it at all.
It gave both teams enough extra time to catch a well needed rest, and they were both short on players.
And it worked to UConn's advantage just fine since we were trying to preserve the lead.
The refs may have made some goofs during the game but IMO that wasn't one of them.

Reaction Score
ONO again. The team went to the free throw line 28 times. But ONO, not once. Didn't force a single foul resulting in a free throw attempt. And she also almost fouled out- 4 fouls. High for the team. She's leading the team in fouls per minute played. By a lot. Further, four turnovers, a third of the team's total. She also was almost equaled in rebounds by EW, who gives up over six inches. All in all, a very mediocre performance for the starting post. Again.
Also, I just didn’t like the expression on her face! Seemed like she was looking down on most of the other players, including, (I’m sorry to say) her own teammates!:rolleyes:

Once more into the breach! I think Liv played better against GT than anyone on the floor! I think it was the best she’s ever played at UConn! Unfortunately, I was unable to watch this game. However, I think it’s fairly clear at this point that Liv is what she is. She is not (and likely will never be) the dominant post that every women’s basketball fan dreams about! She is a classy, intelligent, and decent young woman who (I believe) tries her best every time she steps on the court! Is she Stewie? No, but she doesn’t have to be Stewie! I just don’t understand the unrelenting criticism this poor woman faces by some on this board? You know, Christyn is at least (some would say more) as inconsistent yet doesn’t face nearly the criticism and overall negativity that Liv does! I just don’t get it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some very good things yesterday. They looked like a UConn team in the second half. Still have to block out to limit the second chance points (sometimes it seems like blocking out is a foreign concept to some of them). The foul shooting is continuing to be a source of heartburn, as it was last year. Not sure if that particular issue will ever be fixed with this group until we get Azzi and Paige back. Still, I feel much better about them after yesterday's game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And Olde Coach is smiling down on it all.
Lol, I don’t think he advocated for stiff legged free throws, but your post made me smile. For what it’s worth, I used his free-throw critique to work with my own kid and others and it worked wonders every time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Put the review on the big screen hanging down at center court for everyone to see
They studiously avoided replays of any contested calls yesterday. I get it, but sometimes I think the fans might be able to “help“ the referees with those calls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom