UCLA Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCLA Postgame Thread

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
ONO again. The team went to the free throw line 28 times. But ONO, not once. Didn't force a single foul resulting in a free throw attempt. And she also almost fouled out- 4 fouls. High for the team. She's leading the team in fouls per minute played. By a lot. Further, four turnovers, a third of the team's total. She also was almost equaled in rebounds by EW, who gives up over six inches. All in all, a very mediocre performance for the starting post. Again.
ONO was being fouled almost every time she touched the ball, but Dee Kantnor just doesn't like calling fouls on opposing teams when UConn is playing. She is the worst ref in the women's game and I wish she would just retire. It took her 15 minutes to reverse the out of bounds play at the end of the game. I could tell by the replay's that ABC was showing after the first showing. If she couldn't tell right away that it was UConn's ball while looking at in slow motion, then how in the heck can she see fouls when they happen in actual speed.

Reaction Score
I have to add to the comments regarding the refs today by EricLA, Victor64, vowel guy, jaydee602, BBallF, oldude, HopJim, STL Cardinal, top ogigio, and pv doggy. In my mind the refs were clearly biased against UConn today. Why is that? We know a lot of people are biased against UConn because of their success. Are some of the people who are becoming refs allowing their biases to affect their ref work?

One of the people above suggested that the wcbb refs were simply inferior to mcbb and the pro refs. If that were the only problem the bad calls would be evenly distributed to both teams on the floor. No, I believe there is a jealousy/bias factor working here. I am reminded of the NotreDame/UConn game a few years ago where the Notre Dame tank came up behind and literally kicked Dangerfield’s feet out from under her. There was a ref trailing the play with a clear view, and she did nothing. Those actions(or lack of action, more precisely) must not be tolerated. Those refs must be fired.
The no call on the Evina hack job was might have been the worst (no) call I have seen in years

Reaction Score
Good win for UCONN. Both teams played hard. Evina was a stud today. EW ran the point today, and managed the game well. She made big plays when they were needed. Clearly was gassed in Q4, as I saw her bent over holding her knees multiple times. There was much on her shoulders today, and she came through bigly.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I have to add to the comments regarding the refs today by EricLA, Victor64, vowel guy, jaydee602, BBallF, oldude, HopJim, STL Cardinal, top ogigio, and pv doggy. In my mind the refs were clearly biased against UConn today. Why is that? We know a lot of people are biased against UConn because of their success. Are some of the people who are becoming refs allowing their biases to affect their ref work?

One of the people above suggested that the wcbb refs were simply inferior to mcbb and the pro refs. If that were the only problem the bad calls would be evenly distributed to both teams on the floor. No, I believe there is a jealousy/bias factor working here. I am reminded of the NotreDame/UConn game a few years ago where the Notre Dame tank came up behind and literally kicked Dangerfield’s feet out from under her. There was a ref trailing the play with a clear view, and she did nothing. Those actions(or lack of action, more precisely) must not be tolerated. Those refs must be fired.
Dee Kantnor was the trailing ref that didn't make the call.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I heard one of today’s announcers go into
the nature of Paige’s injury. She surmised that it would take much longer than 6 to 8 weeks to fully recover.
Which means we don't have to take that announcer's word seriously: "surmise" = suppose something is true without the evidence to confirm/prove it.

Reaction Score
Which means we don't have to take that announcer's word seriously: "surmise" = suppose something is true without the evidence to confirm/prove it.
After the game it was confirmed that Paige is considering surgery and if so would be out longer than initially thought.

Reaction Score
989AFEA1-B106-47F4-A215-A34E4ADF3787.gif

Nice win! The team sure made it interesting at the end.

Reaction Score
Geno can't win here.

During the summer I argued quite bit with the comment that Edwards is being wasted playing Power Forward. I disagreed big time with that. The counter they make is that in their opinion, Edwards won't be prepared for pro ball if she is stuck in the paint. I countered that Geno doesn’t pigeon-hole his players to one position/ one spot so even though she is a Power Forward, he'll let her shoot from the outside.

Now you are posting "She shouldn't be taking outside shots." If she were to stop doing that, then we'll hear comets ad nauseum that Geno doesn't "develop" his players.

Can’t win.
-------------------------

On a different subject- just asking your opinion and/or anyone else's; Can we officially stop ever ever speaking of assuming most players of a "sophomore jump" (not to say some players we can't suggest they will improve. I think CD in each of her next 3 years is gonna get pretty damn awesome.) again? I always felt that there used to be for the most part a soph jump.. Heck, last year Edwards looked so much better in the paint, didn't she? What has happened so far?
As to the first point, AE is not being developed throwing up shots from the foul line and beyond that she only rarely makes. She has natural size, strength, and athleticism but she is still not a developed inside player. She still has an awful lot of work to do in that regard. That's where her development should be right now.

Is the reason she is on the team to play in the pros? To be developed for the pros to the exclusion of the team winning? Is this just a tertiary level AAU experience? The questions are obviously rhetorical but I think the answers are clear. AE is never going to be a guard or wing in the WNBA as far as I can tell. I would not encourage her to take outside shots at this stage of her career until she can do the necessary things under the basket, on the blocks, or with a drive move, just like I would not encourage Nika to post up on offense. By the way, if AE just let's them fire at will it will hurt the team, as it did today.

Ok. The sophomore unjump. It's Nika also. I agree about AE, she was much better last year. I know BYers have suggested that just being on the Canadian National Team and practicing as opposed to playing in a competitive league or just working out with a trainer hurt her. I don't know what Nika did but the things she really needed to improve on, her 3, a drive move and pull up, and a drive move that finishes from both sides, do not seem to have happened at all although you could ague that her 3 is slightly improved. I wouldn't. I, like you, fully expected a jump but remember we really didn't get one from Aubrey last year either. Last year, not starting seemed to be comfortable for AE, this year starting is uncomfortable. Last year, starting seemed comfortable for Nika, but coming off the bench this year seems uncomfortable.

BTW, you want to see a sophomore jump. Despite her surgery, Paige was a better player this year before she got hurt than she was last year, and last year she was the best in the country. She worked her butt off and her strength enhancement showed as well as her skill enhancement. As for CD, she was looking at Geno after each mistake in the Seton Hall game to see if she was being yanked ( I was there and could see it). She has stopped looking. I think you are going to see a line on the graph going up each year with her. She moves better without the ball right now than anyone else on the team except Paige and misses really don't faze her anymore. That kid is a player.

Reaction Score
As to the first point, AE is not being developed throwing up shots from the foul line and beyond that she only rarely makes. She has natural size, strength, and athleticism but she is still not a developed inside player. She still has an awful lot of work to do in that regard. That's where her development should be right now.
But this shouldn't mean that she can't take any shots from the perimeter.
And I'm with you about those suggesting to play her at SF so she can be more prepared for being a pro. Not only is it wrong for her team - but as an individual. The college game is still more finesse than the pros. She has to learn to have post moves too. Small Forwards in WNBA don't have to mutually exclusive being an outside player just as Edwards doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to play only inside as a Power Forward.

And I agree about Buckers. She did improve. I was just venting about "soph jump." I won't call that any more. I don't believe in it. Some will improve and others won't. I'll just say I think specific players will jump not assume all top tier recruits will. But I do expect CD to jump next year.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite plays of the game was the Evina fake pass to her left that caused the whole defense to shift and left Christyn wide open for the the 3 point make. I believe it was Rebecca who said, "I loved the fake pass. I don't know why people don't try it more often."

Reaction Score
But this shouldn't mean that she can't take any shots from the perimeter.
And I'm with you about those suggesting to play her at SF so she can be more prepared for being a pro. Not only is it wrong for her team - but as an individual. The college game is still more finesse than the pros. She has to learn to have post moves too. Small Forwards in WNBA don't have to mutually exclusive being an outside player just as Edwards doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to play only inside as a Power Forward.

And I agree about Buckers. She did improve. I was just venting about "soph jump." I won't call that any more. I don't believe in it. Some will improve and others won't. I'll just say I think specific players will jump not assume all top tier recruits will. But I do expect CD to jump next year.
Right, she can shoot but it has to be in the flow of the offense, not when she has no one to pass it to so it's a bail out, and not as a substantial part of her game. She has a great upside as an inside player but she didn't do anything to help herself this summer.

I don't think there is a sophomore jump for everyone as you say. For CD, I would be shocked if there wasn't one. BTW, Azzi also and believe it or not, Amari too. Amari is ready to win right now, just watch her on the bench.

Reaction Score
Players need time to work through the kinks. Edwards can get back to where she was last year but she's walking around on egg shells right now, worrying about getting a foul called her at every step. The Canadian team focused on making her a wing which probably didn't help us short term. She will get through this. Regarding Azzi, I hope they give her off until at least Christmas. It's not that big a deal to beat Louisville. We need her healthy. I just hope that is enough time to get healthy but it would seem to be still be pushing it. She may well need a couple months as well.

Reaction Score
I liked that Caroline was able to get off 13 shots and most of those were pretty good ones. She only hit 4 today but her percentage will pick up and she’ll be a real threat. Another good thing she was 4 for 4 from the line.
I love that she's getting the confidence to shoot. She has been so tentative up until now. She's going to be a future star.

Reaction Score
The no call on the Evina hack job was might have been the worst (no) call I have seen in years
I don't think there is anyone who watched that game that doesn't feel that way. The refs should be brought into the NCAA office and 'Clockwork Oranged' for that display of ineptitude.

Reaction Score
One comment on AE. In the UCLA game she was force to play the 3 and stay on the perimeter for about 80-90% of the time she was in the game. That is out of position for her and puts her in the position where she almost has to take the 20 footers to keep the defense honest. It must be very frustrating for her to be forced to play out of position and not be able to produce in the way she did last year.

Did anyone else notice that when she was at the 4, she did a great job on #24 UCLA who was pushing both Dorka and Liv way deep and scoring easily. Also she was the initiator of all of those massive pile ups under the hoop (she is still so strong).

Also noticed that CD moves more without the ball than anyone we have had in years.

Reaction Score
One comment on AE. In the UCLA game she was force to play the 3 and stay on the perimeter for about 80-90% of the time she was in the game. That is out of position for her and puts her in the position where she almost has to take the 20 footers to keep the defense honest. It must be very frustrating for her to be forced to play out of position and not be able to produce in the way she did last year.

Did anyone else notice that when she was at the 4, she did a great job on #24 UCLA who was pushing both Dorka and Liv way deep and scoring easily. Also she was the initiator of all of those massive pile ups under the hoop (she is still so strong).

Also noticed that CD moves more without the ball than anyone we have had in years.
Agree. Two points. First, the offense does not suit this team, especially now. A 3-2 set with high post picks for the guards and clear outs will work better. CW can only drive with an opening and that is an important offensive strength of the team. You didn't see it yesterday because there were no pathways.

CD is almost a throwback player with the way she cuts. She was taught back doors at an early age ( you can just tell ), change of directions, and delayed cuts. She also can finish and is a great FT shooter. Once she starts ball faking under the basket she will get points there also. She is a big guard/wing at 6'-2". The only one that moves better than her is Paige.

I like his starting lineup now. When Azzi, Nika and AG come back you will have a nice rotation in for substitutions including AE and Amari which he should make use of. Is this an NC team? Probably not but they will improve visibly each game just like they did from GT to UCLA. If you limit the obvious deficiencies in FTs, TOs, and defensive lapses, this team can be very good. In my view, it has to be Evina's team now to get there and she has to take ownership of it. Geno may be stubborn about certain things but he can definitely coach and he will change when he has to to win. In the 2019-2020 season he had a lot less talent than he does now and he turned that team around in February with defensive intensity. Let's see what he comes up with this next week and then over the break.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyone who watched that game that doesn't feel that way. The refs should be brought into the NCAA office and 'Clockwork Oranged' for that display of ineptitude.
a bad call indeed but I have to say having been sitting near courtside that there were a lot of no calls on both teams.......Osborne and Choe were rocked several times.........the refs were really letting them play especially in the first half, the only exception being jump balls which were being called way too early in most cases...........

Reaction Score
a bad call indeed but I have to say having been sitting near courtside that there were a lot of no calls on both teams.......Osborne and Choe were rocked several times.........the refs were really letting them play especially in the first half, the only exception being jump balls which were being called way too early in most cases...........
But they also called silly touch fouls, including a foul on Olivia that was a clean block. The officials called an uneven, chaotic game.
These were three veteran Final Four refs who looked like they never worked together before. That no call after the assault on Evina was the epitome of ineptitude.
When that ball was clearly off UCLA in the last minute, most fans held their breath because Dee Kantner was liable to screw up the call.

Reaction Score
She’s not alone, several starters have had the same problem this season
Have quoted this previously, but Dorka has had a heavy thumb wrap since the beginning of the season. You don't wear this unless there is an issue such a a broken or sprained thumb. Just the wrap alone would create an issue catching the ball. I have no idea why the other players are having issues holding onto the ball.

Reaction Score
I am just so happy for the team to get this win today! OMG. Hearing all of the negative comments, can eat at your confidence and messes with your head. I am just so happy for all of them. Seeing Dorka shine out there. These are the types of games that fuel your confidence and it showed today. Love that she is always on the floor. Falling or just crashing into somebody. Just be safe out there, young lady.

Seeing Caroline attacking the basket more with each game, is just an awesome sight to see. Her confidence is growing. AE looked a little more comfortable out there. Loved that steal and layup. She is going to keep getting better each game/practice. Caroline Ducharme just has to keep attacking the rim. 4-13 wasn't pretty but it wasn't like she was forcing shots. Keep attacking the rim, Caroline Ducharme. Evina....the truth! She had that look the whole game. She was not going to let this team down. Love the fire this young lady has.

Looking at the stat sheet. This is what I was thinking that the team would look like back in the summer. That balanced scoring attack. You got five players with double figures. If this can continue, which I hope that it does, this is what we were all talking about this summer of "what could be" if the pieces all come together. Great win today. Huge boost to the mind and soul for these young ladies. I am just over here happy as heck from them.

Let's go, UConn!!
Bean, agree with your post and predict Caroline's shooting % will go up once the other players get more confidence in her abilities. At times, it has seemed that CD was standing in perfect shooting position and didn't get the ball. Once Caroline shows more consistentcy, likely Geno will make sure she gets shots in her "happy spots."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom