UCLA Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCLA Postgame Thread

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I thought this was an exciting game, edge of my seat. But I was watching as a homer. I was concerned that clunky play on either side would reinforce the prejudice against women's bball at college level or even at pro level since this was being broadcast on regular network TV. (I've mostly followed women's bball opinion on the forums, where the posters are wholly invested in the game; following on Twitter was a depressing eye-opener regarding male toxicity) I'm a UConn fan, and watching various players stepping up at key moments was exhilarating, and watching miscues had me down in the dumps. Homerism but exciting, absorbing. Perhaps from a dispassionate point of view this may not have been a good look for the women's game, considering the missed layups, missed 2 foot jumpshots, missed clutch freethrows, & three pointer airballs, which those hostile to the game would be quick to point out. On the other hand, the casual viewer looking for sports entertainment might have been a bit more tolerant, especially regarding the second half (or the last couple of minutes; like most of us, we often will only watch the end of a contested game, stumbled on while channel flipping). I doubt the casual viewer would have continued watching past the first half. So I hope maybe we see a few more such regular season games on ABC to raise awareness.

Really happy to see Dorka coming out (though her hands don't seem too strong), Christyn's redemptive moments, Evina's efforts to carry the team in the absence of Paige, Olivia's defensive work. UConn's ability to unclog the paint is handicapped by poor 3 pt shooting -- the opposing teams are daring them to shoot. Caroline still hasn't convinced me, but when the hell did she score 14 pts? I need to watch her more carefully. Good free throw shooter, though. Need to consider that in the late innings when the team's only consistent free throw shooter is Evina ... but wait!

Reaction Score
The post-game interview with geno was interesting. he said Dorka came to see him in his office and told him she was wandering on offense and didnt know where to be. Geno said go where you want to be & we'll find you & get you the ball. An example of simplifying the offense and playing to the players' strengths. Dorka was a beast inside today, even while getting hacked all day.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One thing that bothers me about Dorka is that she appears to lose the ball from her hands when nobody has touched it. But her overall game today was outstanding. And she looked like she was enjoying the game.

Reaction Score
One other thing to point out. This was a really physical game today. I can't remember when I've seen so many bodies on the floor in one game. Dorka probably had a triple-double if you add in her stats today for hitting the floor to her points and rebounds. :cool:
In the replay I saw of the 1st half, on most of the short shots ONO missed, there was an arm coming down on her shoulder or hand. While I take poor officiating somewhat for granted (when does Dee retire?), I quoted Nan's vocabulary about (bad word) refs more than a few times.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The post-game interview with geno was interesting. he said Dorka came to see him in his office and told him she was wandering on offense and didnt know where to be. Geno said go where you want to be & we'll find you & get you the ball. An example of simplifying the offense and playing to the players' strengths. Dorka was a beast inside today, even while getting hacked all day.
But, but Geno doesn't know how to change his coaching style. I read it here on the BY, especially since Thursday night. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I never analyze a game but I will say this:

1. Geno getting T’d up was great. Sent his team a message that he has their back
2. Phew
3. Leave them alone and just let them practice and figure it out.

enjoy the win, if you are able to. now I will go enjoy watching the men play.

Reaction Score
Geno's reputation of being an unapproachable tyrant is exaggerated. A confused & discouraged Dorka had no problem going to Geno's office to seek his wisdom. This was after he insulted his team & forecast gloom & doom. He gave her sound advice that paid dividends today.

Reaction Score
One thing that bothers me about Dorka is that she appears to lose the ball from her hands when nobody has touched it. But her overall game today was outstanding. And she looked like she was enjoying the game.
I thought the entire team seemed happy, especially second half, it was as if they realized they were figuring it out. They never gave up. Key for UConn is, I think, to not try too hard, but play the fundamentals and let the game come to you. Easier said than done, I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCLA game:

• Like UConn, UCLA is dealing with injuries to key players while trying to figure things out. Both teams had really good and really bad stretches. In the end UConn was able to grind out what felt like a really important win for the Huskies today.
  • Evina pretty much kept UConn in the game single-handedly in the first half, leading the Huskies in points, rebounds and assists.
  • UConn’s 11-2 “mini-run” at the end of the second quarter was huge heading into halftime.
  • Dorka was tremendous today with 16 & 16. She provided some really big minutes in the second half, particularly with Liv in foul trouble.
  • UConn had a distinct size advantage in today’s game. But the team struggled to get the ball into the paint in the first half, and when they did, inexplicably, the Huskies continued to miss way too many layups.
  • If there was ever one player who shouldn’t “overthink” things, it’s Christyn. You could just sense the pressure she feels, particularly with Paige out. When Christyn finally hit a layup, after missing her first attempt, it was like the weight of the world had been removed from her shoulders.
  • There are good technical fouls and there are bad technical fouls. Geno's T defending Evina after she got hammered was a good T. UConn responded to a terrible "no call" in a big way.
  • UConn won this game on the defensive end, holding UCLA to 33% shooting, and also with some great work on the boards in the second half. I guess the Huskies proved that that they can close a tough game without Paige on the court, sort of.....:confused:
  • One thing mentioned before the game is that UConn has had only one practice without Paige. The Huskies now have a week off to get through finals and reset themselves for another big matchup vs Louisville in 8 days. Foul shooting and layup practice next week. :rolleyes:
Good image of the game. Nothing to disagree with here.
The real plus for me was 6 Uconn Women scored. 5 in double figures. Caroline is getting better with each game, so is Dorka. A few days ago I would have trashed Dorka. This game shows she can score, can defend, can hit the boards. Caroline plays good defense, if spotty. Her three when she takes a second line up is near perfect if she just catches and shoot, not so good, but that will come. She drives well. Her long arms gets blocks.
Evina, she did in this game what I had hoped she'd be from November. She's a leader. With Paige on the floor she defers to Paige a bit too much. Uconn needs 5 Aggressive, shooting/scoring starters deference when you can't shoot or defend. Take the shot if you are open. Don't look around SHOOT. I think Caroline, defers a bit, but when she's hitting she shoots. That's good for her, Geno, Uconn.

Reaction Score
Just returned from the game ...........not sure how much of it could be seen on tv but from row number two there was a whole lot of body contact out there today........ONO and Dorka were both banging hard against a pretty decent UCLA interior defense.......I've never seen ONO so animated before......she was really aggressive.............for those that think this team is not giving max effort I can assure you they are...........it certainly would have been much more fun if Paige and the other walking wounded were available but I give this group great credit for toughing this one out...............btw has anybody mentioned that Aubrey was in the layup line today?

Reaction Score
if I was her father, I would beg her to go into coaching and not try to play professionally
If I were her father, I'd tell her if you want the Wnba and they want you, go for it. You can always coach later if that is your choice. When you graduate from Uconn W C B B you can do what ever floats your boat. Your life is your's I lived mine, I needn't live yours. I've made that speech multiple times to my own (except the Uconn/Wnba parts)

Reaction Score
and that Quality 3pt shot in the corner to go up 14. Caroline is going to be a great one. She looks like she knows what she is doing.

one thing I like about Caroline is that she is not afraid to shoot or go to the basket. When was the last time (other than Paige) does Uconn has a freshman like that? Even Azzi is more hesitant in shooting the ball.

Reaction Score
Good decision Geno to let Carolina started this game. Carolina is good today.
I was surprised at the number of times she lost the ball trying to drive in or around the baseline. Geno has sad repeatedly that she’s really really good, but I thought she was good in spurts.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCLA game:

• Like UConn, UCLA is dealing with injuries to key players while trying to figure things out. Both teams had really good and really bad stretches. In the end UConn was able to grind out what felt like a really important win for the Huskies today.
  • Evina pretty much kept UConn in the game single-handedly in the first half, leading the Huskies in points, rebounds and assists.
  • UConn’s 11-2 “mini-run” at the end of the second quarter was huge heading into halftime.
  • Dorka was tremendous today with 16 & 16. She provided some really big minutes in the second half, particularly with Liv in foul trouble.
  • UConn had a distinct size advantage in today’s game. But the team struggled to get the ball into the paint in the first half, and when they did, inexplicably, the Huskies continued to miss way too many layups.
  • If there was ever one player who shouldn’t “overthink” things, it’s Christyn. You could just sense the pressure she feels, particularly with Paige out. When Christyn finally hit a layup, after missing her first attempt, it was like the weight of the world had been removed from her shoulders.
  • There are good technical fouls and there are bad technical fouls. Geno's T defending Evina after she got hammered was a good T. UConn responded to a terrible "no call" in a big way.
  • UConn won this game on the defensive end, holding UCLA to 33% shooting, and also with some great work on the boards in the second half. I guess the Huskies proved that that they can close a tough game without Paige on the court, sort of.....:confused:
  • One thing mentioned before the game is that UConn has had only one practice without Paige. The Huskies now have a week off to get through finals and reset themselves for another big matchup vs Louisville in 8 days. Foul shooting and layup practice next week. :rolleyes:
I always write my thoughts on Old Dude's post because I am respectful of his views ( and I am probably older ). But I don't read his material until after I post mine ( to be independent, and uninfluenced). Here goes:

1. I mis-read the team today. Midway in the second quarter, I thought it was a certain loss.
2. The team really began to " fight back." They will need to fight hard the rest of the way.
3. Ducharmes is getting valuable experience and her confidence will grow. As it does, her offense will become more impactful. But she is working and contributing already.
4. Great to see a better Dorka. I think when she hit the " three" ...her confidence soared. And she fought for rebounds like a tiger. She made a difference in this game. For the first time, really.
5. Olivia also battled and played well. The team needs to play angry and she did.
6. Edwards still cannot hit a shot to save herself. Not even very reliable under the basket. But she battled today. She showed more energy and determination. Results were limited. But the direction of her game was better. Man, do we need her to soar again.
7. Williams just needs to figure out how to be a part of this. When she plays defense and scores by driving to the hoop...it calms her down. And she then starts hitting her outside shot. Her mistakes come when she decides she is going to take a shot, even when it isn't there. Even when she is surrounded by the entire UCLA team...And she loses the ball. C'mon, girl. Settle down. We need you at your best. Which is really good.
8. DeBarry is getting a taste. And that is positive. And a surprise. We all want to see more.
9. Mir seems buried on the bench, doesn't she? I wonder if she'll ever fight her way onto this team? It is not a good sign to get no role when the team is thin and desperate.
10. I think it is a big deal that they came back and held on to win. They still are too prone to unforced errors. I counted at least three times they lost the ball because they dribbled off of their own sneakers, and another three where it was a case of bad hands. But transitioning from dependence on one player may be at a start. It wasn't even an idea in the GT loss.
11. Westbrook was the stabilizing influence and the courage. The team took nourishment from her performance. I fear overwork, but she is a gem.
12. Finally, the team gets to breathe. And some practice time. Next game is Dec. 17, I think. This was a good day for them.

It was fun to watch them fight.

Reaction Score
one thing I like about Caroline is that she is not afraid to shoot or go to the basket. When was the last time (other than Paige) does Uconn has a freshman like that? Even Azzi is more hesitant in shooting the ball.
Yes, but I suspect she's been told to shoot shoot shoot. Geno cant afford any tentativeness right now.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A lot of people were questioning whether Geno could coach and/or the team could play. Last game they had known for 3 days or so that they wouldn't have their all-world point guard and 1 day that they wouldn't have their backup point guard. That game looked like it. The beginning of this one did, too. But they got it together.

Geno can coach, and the team can play.

Shoutout to Evina for keeping them in the game early and Dorka for doing what I knew she could do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom