UCF postgame | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCF postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCF wasn't running a trapping half court defense. They only slapped it on when Geno pulled his starters. In my mind, that's a it move.
Again demonstrable false. Look at the replay specifically the sequence before Crystal splashed the last three ball. CW is dribbling the ball. The same two UCF players that ran to trap Kyla also ran to try and trap CW. CW dribbled out and got the ball to Crystal for an open three. UCONN substituted 3 new players in the game UCF sub 1. UCF ran the same defense immediately before and after Kyla came in the game.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I’m only middle aged
Don't trust anyone over thirty! If you are truly "middle aged" , you might not remember that admonition. But it does not mean it is not valid. ;) Old is such a relative term. My oldest daughter when she was three or four, asked her mother what dinosaurs were like! :rolleyes:. My wife was not amused, but i laughed heartily.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
One of my favorite thoughts to live by (or repeat at an appropriate moment...) includes this one, attributed to Oscar Wilde ;)

"With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone."
Wilde had many brilliant quips about a multitude of things. Some of them were not quite so suited to "live by", but they were all clever. Read "A Picture of Dorian Gray" to get an appreciation of his thoughts on growing old!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn did not press at the start of the 2nd half. I would respectfully suggest that the “diamond press” was not so much a press as “soft pressure” to throw a change up at UCF after they made a minny run. In any event, UConn substantially removed their press during the 2nd half.
First thought: Good thing it was "soft pressure" with a 20 point lead then.
:D
Second though: UCONN applying "soft pressure"? Since when?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This thread isn’t exactly a prize, either. Who cares if the UCF coach rolls her eyes or the kids celebrate getting to the tourney for the first time? They’re kids, for crying out loud. Some of you people sound like the crotchety old guy telling kids to get the hell of his porch
I think you are giving crotchety old guys everywhere a bad name. :eek:

Reaction Score
You realize there is a difference between playing hard and trapping, right? One is about how you do something and the other is about what you do.

Also, winners don't celebrate when they are losing. Period. You can celebrate a teammate's effort without acting like a fool.
Too much PC on this board? Their action looked silly but definitely harmless and not offensive, so let them be.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
No problem with UCF celebrating their return to the Big Dance, but there is a time and place for everything. Celebrate after beating Cincinnati in the semis. How is it appropriate to celebrate during a 20 pt beatdown in the conference finals?
Because it wasn't the usual 40 or 50 point beatdown????:)

Reaction Score
I’m only middle aged

When my cousin turned 50 I asked him how it felt to be middle aged. He stared he wasn’t middle aged. I responded, how the heck long do you think you’re going to live?

Reaction Score
A team that was behind by 30 and loses by 20 celebrating? If any UCF fans on this blog, love to know how you reacted.

Been lurking here about half of the season as our own forum has little interest in talking about our WBB team's accomplishments this season but never felt like I has reason to jump in.

Personally I am ok with the celebrations but I understand why they are outputting. We have had little success in either basketball program in our short history and what the team has accomplished rather quickly is impressive to me. The last time we were in the tourney we had a losing record on the season but got hot during the CUSA tourney.

After I graduated from UCF I moved to Houston which is nice since I get to go to many of our sporting events when they come through town. I have seen the MBB team many times but only started going to the other sports when my daughter was old enough to start going to games. We have been to most sports at this point but one of the first we went to was the WBB game vs Houston.

This was towards the end of the season and it was the last season of Coach Joi. Our athletic director had already cleaned house in other sports so the coach had to know her time was up and it showed. Late in a competitive game she went and sat on the bench during a timeout while her assistants drew up plays to try to eke out a victory (they didn't). So while Abe can be offputting to the outside I love the fact that she has them competing regardless of the odds. Interestingly in the last Houston game the bench got warned twice for what seemed to be pretty tame celebrations so the unevenness of refereering is always present.

Due to spring break with small children I missed the first half last night but I have to figure the team felt they were playing with house money at this point and as much as you want to convince yourself that you can win the conference UCONN is 120-0 for a reason. I hope we're more competitive in the future but will enjoy the progress that has been made.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting. I'm just perusing this thread on my second cup of coffee and got to the part about the pressing UCF employed at the end of the game. Reminded me of a post-game thread following the second Georgia Tech vs. Notre Dame game, held at South Bend. ND was administering a serious beat down (30+ points I believe) at the end of three and MM saw fit to put in all second stringers and even a walk on, along with Jackie Young. GT Coach Mechelle Joseph decicded to throw a full-court press on for the entire quarter, using a number of starters initially, then switching over to 2nd stringers.

The ???/huh was that GT probably presses more than any other ACC team, but had not employed it much in the 2nd and 3rd quarter when ND just blew the game open. Then, in the fourth when the game is done (and I mean, really done), she pulls the trigger.

The shake at the end of the game was cordial, but brisk but I've never seen that much interaction between Joselph and McGraw (and I'm guessing there won't be much more, given what is (not) happening in Atlanta).

There was a lot of give and take on the thread in the Bench, ranging from "once you take the starters off, " take the pedal off the metal; to "it's Joseph's call to coach how she wants, the Irish should have their team use it as a teaching moment." Can't say that any consensus was reached. :rolleyes: Whole situation was odd: My takeaway was that Coach Joseph is one intense sideline persona.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
They do what they could, perfect exercise opportunity. If one wants the subs be treated nicely according to their talent level, maybe one should suggest that the game finish as soon as the starters retire, instead of the 40 min.
Not under the circumstances of that moment but like I posted before...if it has to be explained to you...Head bang :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why are you defending these *t players (and their coach)?
In what other game, and especially a Championship game, have you ever seen a team on defense double team or trap an opposing player when:
the defensive team is 20+ points down and
there is less than 2 minutes left in the game and you haven't been in the game since the early first quarter????
Geno should have put our starters back in and given the ball to Pheesa, who would have scored and then apply full court pressure on them.
Boy, then the whole Sports World would have jumped on the csh*t bandwagon - against Geno.
Because the basis of the attack is false! : The attackers say that Coach Abe changed her defense once Geno put the subs in the game. The replay clearly shows that to be false.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Because the basis of the attack is false! : The attackers say that Coach Abe changed her defense once Geno put the subs in the game. The replay clearly shows that to be false.
Yet the game circumstances are the same.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again demonstrable false. Look at the replay specifically the sequence before Crystal splashed the last three ball. CW is dribbling the ball. The same two UCF players that ran to trap Kyla also ran to try and trap CW. CW dribbled out and got the ball to Crystal for an open three. UCONN substituted 3 new players in the game UCF sub 1. UCF ran the same defense immediately before and after Kyla came in the game.
Coco, I respect your opinion, but I’m afraid we are just going to have to disagree on this. Trapping a player in the corner is fundamental basketball. Trapping a player on the wing is a trapping defense.

In addition, whatever UConn’s diamond defense was, as you point out, they settled back into a 1-2-2. My main point is that the Huskies did not maintain a full court press for most of the 2nd half, after harassing UCF with the press for the entire 1st half.

Reaction Score
Interesting that in the press conference video there is a glitch right as Coach Abe was answering the question about the handshake line interaction. Such a great Geno press conference in the second half of that video, especially the NCAA tourney rant at the end.

I noticed that too. Looks like about 10 seconds was edited out just as she was talking about the handshake. Don't think it was a glitch -- didn't happen any other time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was just looking at the box scores. Phee, who struggled a little at the FT line this season, shot 15-15 in the tourney. Clutch performance! An AAC record of 85 points for the tourney. She's really, really good.

Reaction Score
Not to excuse UCF's behavior, but I think what they were trying to do is "win" the second half, which they did 30-27. That might explain the trap and the celebrating on the bench. I actually don't have a problem with the trap, it's a legitimate basketball play, situational, and even gave Kyla a chance to score. The bench behavior and rough play are another matter.
Moral victories only count if you’re a loser!

Reaction Score
When will UConn run an effective play at the end of a quarter. They should be much better at that than they are. That could hurt them in the tourney as it did in the last two FF. Other than that, I was pleased with what I saw.
Could not agree more. It seems as though these 'wait for the last shot' plays never work. I'd much prefer, especially when we're taking it to a team, to just execute what's worked countless times prior to in that particular game.

Reaction Score
I’m curious at what age you are no longer a kid and start being a young adult? It may vary but the way I was raised and my children were raised if you were 18 you are no longer a “kid” and are responsible for your actions regardless of how some might want to enable your behavior .......just my thoughts

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I’m curious at what age you are no longer a kid and start being a young adult? It may vary but the way I was raised and my children were raised if you were 18 you are no longer a “kid” and are responsible for your actions regardless of how some might want to enable your behavior ..just my thoughts

I have kids, and grand kids and I can say with 100% certainty that they did not and do not behave like what I saw at the Sun arena last night. Funny thing is - how many other "kids" on WCBB teams have we seen behave like that?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop, just want to make a small correction on Pheesa's points needed, to pass Charles is 48 points, 47 points is tying Charles.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oops. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Enough of this nonsense. I am and will be forever a UConn fan but for crying out loud, UCF has every reason to enjoy and celebrate. They never gave up, and outscored UConn in the second half. They were NEVER in this position before, competing in a championship game and a berth in the NCAA tournament. Why do trapping in the corner or in the wing makes any difference? So UConn pulled off the press, so what? Please just enjoy the game and let go of the nitty gritty details which did not add but detract from a really good game. IMHO, I am glad that games become more, lots more competitive. As Geno mentioned in his post game interview with RB (Rebecca Lobo), the road to the FF will be the most unpredictable and competitive ever for every team!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom