UCF postgame | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCF postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to excuse UCF's behavior, but I think what they were trying to do is "win" the second half, which they did 30-27. That might explain the trap and the celebrating on the bench. I actually don't have a problem with the trap, it's a legitimate basketball play, situational, and even gave Kyla a chance to score. The bench behavior and rough play are another matter.

Reaction Score
Not to excuse UCF's behavior, but I think what they were trying to do is "win" the second half, which they did 30-27. That might explain the trap and the celebrating on the bench. I actually don't have a problem with the trap, it's a legitimate basketball play, situational, and even gave Kyla a chance to score. The bench behavior and rough play are another matter.

I'm not a fan of this "we won 1st or 2nd half thing"...when a game is 40 minutes long...forget the fact the game was lost for UCF in the first half when they only managed to score 15 points. What's to celebrate about?

Reaction Score
I don’t really think UCF’s bench behavior was inappropriate per se, but I’m glad to be rooting for a team that wouldn’t be jumping and celebrating every play when they’re trailing by 20.

Bizarre move to say the least.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of this "we won 1st or 2nd half thing"...when a game is 40 minutes long...forget the fact the game was lost for UCF in the first half when they only managed to score 15 points. What's to celebrate about?
if the losing team has something to celebrate, let them.. should we only be happy when the losing team cries?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Also worth noting that UConn took off their press in the 2nd half, which had devestated UCF in the 1st half forcing numerous TO’s and hurried shots. Had Geno really wanted to bury the Black Knights, he could have kept the press on in the 3rd qtr, but that’s not his style.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
This thread isn’t exactly a prize, either. Who cares if the UCF coach rolls her eyes or the kids celebrate getting to the tourney for the first time? They’re kids, for crying out loud

Some of you people sound like the crotchety old guy telling kids to get the hell of his porch

I suspect that some of us "old guys" were taught things like sportsmanship and behavior by our coaches and watching the antics of the UCF "kids" just rubs the wrong way.

BTW - The UConn players are just kids too - notice any difference in their behavior?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What would you do then?
I would coach my own team and let the other Guy or Gal coach his team. Love the double standard here: When a UCONN player goes into the game they are expected/required to give max effort regardless of the score. The other team sends in their bench players we expect them to roll over and not try?

Reaction Score
I would coach my own team and let the other Guy or Gal coach his team. Love the double standard here: When a UCONN player goes into the game they are expected/required to give max effort regardless of the score. The other team sends in their bench players we expect them to roll over and not try?
You realize there is a difference between playing hard and trapping, right? One is about how you do something and the other is about what you do.

Also, winners don't celebrate when they are losing. Period. You can celebrate a teammate's effort without acting like a fool.

Reaction Score
if the losing team has something to celebrate, let them.. should we only be happy when the losing team cries?

Hey, who am I do deny their celebration...go at it. ;) By the way, I guess the times have changed, whatever happened to the player that lost a Tourney game and was mad as hell because he/she lost?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You realize there is a difference between playing hard and trapping, right? One is about how you do something and the other is about what you do.
Also, winners don't celebrate when they are losing. Period. You can celebrate a teammate's effort without acting like a fool.
Funny you should say that because the two UCONN defense sequences prior to the subs coming in the game was a Diamond press with Mikayla at the top that fell back into a 1 2 2 zone. Does max effort include a press with less than 2 minutes left and a 20 point lead?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Also worth noting that UConn took off their press in the 2nd half, which had devestated UCF in the 1st half forcing numerous TO’s and hurried shots. Had Geno really wanted to bury the Black Knights, he could have kept the press on in the 3rd qtr, but that’s not his style.
That is demonstrable false. The last two UCONN defenses sequences prior to the subs was a diamond press with Mikayla at the top. FF the replay video to about the two minute mark of 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
No problem here with the press; the high elbows and hip checks were another issue.

Reaction Score
I don’t really think UCF’s bench behavior was inappropriate per se, but I’m glad to be rooting for a team that wouldn’t be jumping and celebrating every play when they’re trailing by 20.

Bizarre move to say the least.
A team that was behind by 30 and loses by 20 celebrating? If any UCF fans on this blog, love to know how you reacted.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a difference between players effort and coaching strategy. UConn devastated UCF in the 1st half, holding them to 15 pts, pressing them relentlessly, forcing TO’s and rushed shots. During the 2nd half, with UConn up 24, and the game essentially over, the Huskies continued to play hard, but Geno removed the press. Had he kept it on, UConn might have won by 40.

One BY’er suggested an almost legitimate reason for UCF’s 2nd half bench celebration as well as the last minute trap of Kyla. At halftime, Coach Abe challenged her team to forget the score and win the 2nd half, which they did 30-27. If that was the case, I get it now. UCF wants to go into the Big Dance on a high note.

But the truth is, it’s a contrived high note. UCF only won the 2nd half because Geno let them win the 2nd half, something that Coach Abe surely omitted in her post game speech to her team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is demonstrable false. The last two UCONN defenses sequences prior to the subs was a diamond press with Mikayla at the top. FF the replay video to about the two minute mark of 4th quarter.
UConn did not press at the start of the 2nd half. I would respectfully suggest that the “diamond press” was not so much a press as “soft pressure” to throw a change up at UCF after they made a minny run. In any event, UConn substantially removed their press during the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
This thread isn’t exactly a prize, either. Who cares if the UCF coach rolls her eyes or the kids celebrate getting to the tourney for the first time? They’re kids, for crying out loud

Some of you people sound like the crotchety old guy telling kids to get the hell of his porch
Isn’t Almost everyone on here a crotchety old guy?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It's a clothes line. Basically an arm out horizontally wacking someone across the throat. Kind of like if you ran into a low-hanging clothes line in the backyard.
Term most commonly used in wrestling.

;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
When the betting line is 3 pts or less in favor of the home team?
See , now that had not occurred to me! So was the line on just ONO ,or the whole team?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom