UCF postgame | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCF postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
My takeaways:

1. Napheesa’s highlight reel from this game is something no one else in WCBB could put together. Polished inside moves. Great catches and finishes in traffic. An amazing coast to coast take for a hoop. She will make a great pro.

2. Mikayla took Wright totally out of the game when she was in there. Hoping she can play some defense against a premier guard like that in Albany or Tampa.

3. Not a great shooting night, would have won by 30+ if we hit the open shots. UCF does play good defense, though. We made a lot of uncharacteristically silly passes.

4. Some weird foul calls, especially one on Crystal at mid court. On that play, though, I was just happy she got up. I don’t know how they looked on tv, but some of the calls on ONO seemed ticky tack or phantom in person.

5. Our defense was very intense, especially in the first half. CW has improved on keeping players in front of her.

6. There have been a number of comments in this thread about the behavior of the UCF bench, some critical, some giving them a pass. IMO, their behavior was appalling. Arrogant, mocking, preening, distasteful. Their Coach doesn’t seem bothered by it at all.

Reaction Score
Well... as long as we are going by the those unwritten rules isn't there also one that says that UCONN should have pulled ALL the starters after going up by 20 with less than 1 Minutes Left. 4 Staretrs were in the game until the :46 remaining?
Geno couldn't pull ALL the starters, as we only dressed 9 players...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The real question is Why Did the REFS put up with (by the rules) unsportsmanlike behavior--A T on the bench, 2 and they get ejected. Why????

Why did the refs allow UCF bench players on the court during their disgusting celebrations. WTF were they celebrating anyway?

Reaction Score
Interesting that in the press conference video there is a glitch right as Coach Abe was answering the question about the handshake line interaction. Such a great Geno press conference in the second half of that video, especially the NCAA tourney rant at the end.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Probably her response to Auriemma waiting until 45 seconds left to sub when he'd been up 20 for the whole second half.

Maybe he waited to sub because of the bush league behavior of her bench. If you were at the game and watched their performance from the anthem to the final buzzer you'll know what I'm saying.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Correction - UPDATE - Monday March 11 - The Samuelson & Collier watch as they try to pass #3 Tina Charles (2346) on the UConn career scoring list.

They were ranked #4 (Lou) and #5 (Pheesa) on the career scoring list through the Houston game.

Saturday (post ECU) - Lou DNP remains at 2259 career points. Needs 88 pts needed to pass Charles.
Saturday (post ECU) - Collier 2214+37 = 2251 career points. Needs 95 pts needed to pass Charles.

Sunday (post USF) - Lou DNP remains at 2259 career points. Needs 88 pts needed to pass Charles.
Sunday (post USF) - Collier 2251+23 = 2274 career points. 73 pts needed to pass Charles.

Post UCF game - Collier 25 + 2274 = 2299. Collier needs 48 points (thanks Sgt) to pass Charles.
Lou DNP remains at 2259 career points. Needs 88 pts needed to pass Charles.

Because of the lower seeded (lesser talented) teams UConn will host the first two rounds of the tournament at Gampel, and because these will be the last two games Collier will ever play there, I'm predicting Collier will get those 48 points that weekend, and go out with a bang as she takes her final curtain call, waives good-bye to her loyal and adoring fans, and leaves the floor for the final time as #3 (behind Maya Moore & Breanna Stewart) on UConn's career scoring list. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So much effort by the BY to analyze UCF's tactics and behavior and no analysis or commentary of our teams interviews. Bizarre. Head bang

It is too late to go into all the cool tidbits I gathered in perhaps the best set of interviews and post game pressers I can recall but I will give a few I found amazing

1) The student athletes Geno had in the presser were Pheesa (no surprise) and Christyn (Big surprise to me). Check out what Christyn does when she leaves with Pheesa. :eek::eek::eek: and Geno's reaction. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

2) A shocking question to Christyn in her personal interview about whether playing in the weak AAC affected her decision to come to UConn. Bad Ass question. Her answer without batting an eye was. No, not really. I knew they prepare us so much in practice to go play the best OOC.

3) Geno's description of Liv and Christyn's foibles on their respective learning curves are hilarious. As good as his Maya schtick :D

Reaction Score
2) A shocking question to Christyn in her personal interview about whether playing in the weak AAC affected her decision to come to UConn. Bad Ass question. Her answer without batting an eye was. No, not really. I knew they prepare us so much in practice to go play the best OOC.
With that little smile at the end I was half expecting her to drop a "bless your heart" when answering that question.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When will UConn run an effective play at the end of a quarter. They should be much better at that than they are. That could hurt them in the tourney as it did in the last two FF. Other than that, I was pleased with what I saw.

Reaction Score
When will UConn run an effective play at the end of a quarter. They should be much better at that than they are. That could hurt them in the tourney as it did in the last two FF. Other than that, I was pleased with what I saw.
The last 5 seconds of a quarter play is scramble up the court just in time to watch Crystal jack up an NBA range three at the buzzer. That's pretty much all we got.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Two reason: 1) Geno is instructing Christyn Williams to drive the basketball because that is one of the stronger parts of her game. 2) Mikayla Coombs has been the 6th man since KLS has been hurt. Mikayla is not a credible wing or baseline deep shooter. Mikayla is either going to drive or kick the ball back out. Mikayla did have two very nice diagonal pass from the corner tonight but far too often she drifts from the weak side (opposite the ball) corner and her defender ends up sagging in on ONO or Pheesa.
Also since Coombs is no threat to shoot her mark sags pretty much all the time a cut off her lanes to the basket.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Who else would like to see UCF play Notre Dame in the second round of the NCAA tourney?
I personally wouldn't. Of course we take exception to some of UCF's antics in their games with us, but they're still our conference mate and it is very much in UConn's best interest that other AAC teams reach the tournament and do well once there (or at least not get embarrassed).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UPDATE - Monday March 11 - The Samuelson & Collier watch as they try to pass #3 Tina Charles (2346) on the UConn career scoring list.

They were ranked #4 (Lou) and #5 (Pheesa) on the career scoring list through the Houston game.

Saturday (post ECU) - Lou DNP remains at 2259 career points. Needs 88 pts needed to pass Charles.
Saturday (post ECU) - Collier 2214+37 = 2251 career points. Needs 95 pts needed to pass Charles.

Sunday (post USF) - Lou DNP remains at 2259 career points. Needs 88 pts needed to pass Charles.
Sunday (post USF) - Collier 2251+23 = 2274 career points. 73 pts needed to pass Charles.

Post UCF game - Collier 25 + 2274 = 2299. Collier needs 47 points to pass Charles.
Lou DNP remains at 2259 career points. Needs 88 pts needed to pass Charles.

Because of the lower seeded teams UConn will host the first two rounds of the tournament at Gampel, and because these will be the last two games Collier will ever play there. I'm predicting Collier will get those 47 points that weekend, and go out with a bang as she takes her final curtain call, waives good-bye to her loyal and adoring fans, and leaves the floor for the final time as #3 on UConn's career scoring list. ;)
Scoop, just want to make a small correction on Pheesa's points needed, to pass Charles is 48 points, 47 points is tying Charles.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If you don't know the difference or don't see the difference, I don't think anyone around here could explain it to you.
PS...did they try to trap the "starters"????????
They do what they could, perfect exercise opportunity. If one wants the subs be treated nicely according to their talent level, maybe one should suggest that the game finish as soon as the starters retire, instead of the 40 min.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the game? She drive to the hoop.

I did watch the game on TV. Maybe you missed this scenario....I believe it was in the first/second quarter the camera picked up Geno and even a blind man could see what he was saying...and Lobo also picked up. Williams went to bench after that but next time she came back in...she got the point and did very well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The problem is the coach isn't teaching, she lacks as much class as her bench.
This thread isn’t exactly a prize, either. Who cares if the UCF coach rolls her eyes or the kids celebrate getting to the tourney for the first time? They’re kids, for crying out loud

Some of you people sound like the crotchety old guy telling kids to get the hell of his porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom