UCF postgame | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCF postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with much of what is being said here about the UCF bench behavior and the trap on Kyla.
I deplore the rough play, always have always will, but that was expected since the first UCF game this season.
With regards to bench behavior was it really that much different than what UCONN players do when a three ball is hit by Molly Bent in garbage time or Polly's shot in garbage time of the National Championship game? Kyla Irwin is a Junior at UCONN. I would be very disappointed in her if she does not know how to handle a trap-She did BTW.
No issue with the trap, all's fair between the lines but if I'm the coach I don't do it, but maybe that's old school. As to the celebrations I think a huge difference. I'll correlate what UCONN does to spiking the ball when one crosses the goal line, what UCF was doing is tantamount to having the entire offense run down to the end zone and conduct some choreographed routine.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
So , you do not get it either I guess. What I see there is a drawing of what is called in some parts of the country a clothes line. Homophones don't count in basketball. I was genuinely asking what a close line meant in reference to the game and ONO. Perhaps a phrase I have not encountered? I still do not know. But thanks for muddying the already turbid waters! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nothing UCF did was inadvertent. How did they not get called for even one illegal screen? They moved on almost every one of them and they had their elbows out. On several occasions they leaned into the ballhandler, elbow first. Having said that, our team needs to figure out how to drive when being hip checked, elbowed and grabbed. When the refs don't call the fouls our offense stalls.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When you’re down 20 with a minute left, you don’t press the subs... unless you have no class.
Well... as long as we are going by the those unwritten rules isn't there also one that says that UCONN should have pulled ALL the starters after going up by 20 with less than 1 Minutes Left. 4 starters were in the game until the :46 remaining?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't notice that she said anything. Geno was the one I saw telling her what he thought of the trap against his bench. Did anyone notice if she had a response? She seems like a strange character to me.
She was too busy rolling her eyes and acting like her kids are a bunch of morons. Every game, worst body language I've seen from a coach toward her own team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One more thing on the UCF bench behavior... I think it indicates the immature losers mindset the players (at least those players) had. They never believed they could win this game. If they really believed it, the reaction would be disappointment, sadness and frustration for having failed at something really big and important. Hopefully a teaching moment later, but if that were going to happen it would have started right then and there.
To be clear I don't expect anyone to "bend the knee" or "kiss the ring", just have a little class.

#ClassUp #ActLikeYouBelong
The problem is the coach isn't teaching, she lacks as much class as her bench.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No problem with UCF celebrating their return to the Big Dance, but there is a time and place for everything. Celebrate after beating Cincinnati in the semis. How is it appropriate to celebrate during a 20 pt beatdown in the conference finals?
Because a 21 point beat down was a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the 37 & 36 point beat downs in the regular season. 26 wins is the most in program history. UCF is heading to the tournament...... There was many reason for celebration in Orlando.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Geno said something during the halftime interview when we played them down there that made me think he's got a problem with her coaching. I think this is carryover from something else. While that was a bush trap on Irwin it's not like we haven't seen teams do that sort of thing to UCONN before. When we played Rutgers on a regular basis I seem to recall them doing stuff like that all the time (Playing hard and pressing right to the last second, down by double digits) , yet I don't remember Geno chastising Stringer on the court like that. Have a feeling there is some history here we don't know about.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Because a 21 point beat down was a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the 37 & 36 point beat downs in the regular season. 26 wins is the most in program history. UCF is heading to the tournament. There was many reason for celebration in Orlando.
Again, I will reiterate my point. UCF knew they were going to the Big Dance when they beat Cincinnati in the semis, and that was the appropriate time for the celebration. What do you think Geno would have done if his bench players started celebrating during a 20 pt loss?

Reaction Score
She does seem to be in a permanent state of disgust on the sideline. :mad:
Worst body language of any coach I've seen. Acts like her kids are inept and not worthy of her superior intellect.

Reaction Score
So , you do not get it either I guess. What I see there is a drawing of what is called in some parts of the country a clothes line. Homophones don't count in basketball. I was genuinely asking what a close line meant in reference to the game and ONO. Perhaps a phrase I have not encountered? I still do not know. But thanks for muddying the already turbid waters! :rolleyes:

It's a clothes line. Basically an arm out horizontally wacking someone across the throat. Kind of like if you ran into a low-hanging clothes line in the backyard.
Term most commonly used in wrestling.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Again, I will reiterate my point. UCF knew they were going to the Big Dance when they beat Cincinnati in the semis, and that was the appropriate time for the celebration. What do you think Geno would have done if his bench players started celebrating during a 20 pt loss?
Geno is not coaching UCF so let's not turn this into what would Geno do. UCF celebrated pretty well when they beat Cincinnati last night.

Reaction Score
Well... as long as we are going by the those unwritten rules isn't there also one that says that UCONN should have pulled ALL the starters after going up by 20 with less than 1 Minutes Left. 4 Staretrs were in the game until the :46 remaining?
They don’t have enough players to sub out all starters. Only dressing 9.
I wouldn’t have cared if Geno pulled them or not. He only did it to get everyone in the scorebook. Perhaps he expected the traps of his bench players? It was very physical, and mostly not called all night.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No problem with UCF celebrating their return to the Big Dance, but there is a time and place for everything. Celebrate after beating Cincinnati in the semis. How is it appropriate to celebrate during a 20 pt beatdown in the conference finals?

Because they're 18-21 year olds who've never accomplished anything like going to the NCAA tourney before. These AAC teams have zero expectations of beating UConn (0-120), so why not enjoy themselves during the game? Just because you're getting beat shouldn't mean you're required to remain emotionless and stapled to the bench. That's like saying cheerleaders should just shut up and sit there if the team they rep is down by 20.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If they catch a cold 3 seed they can get to the S16 but unlikely. They make up for less skill and talent with high-energy physicality. They go 10 deep and will bang all game. And surprisingly I watched them play uptempo vs Cinci and they were good in transition.
FWIW, UCF gave Syracuse (a likely 3-seed now) all they could handle on a neutral court. Led by 5 early in 4Q and had a 2-point lead with 3:00 to play but ended poorly and lost by 5.

UCF was thoroughly unconvincing throughout conference play, struggling to hard-fought wins against lesser competition. But hey, when you go 26-3 against all teams not named UConn, you've done pretty well. Kudos to them, and kudos to Coach Abe and Nykesha Sales for raising a team from irrelevancy to an NCAA at-large bid in a mere three years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is not coaching UCF so let's not turn this into what would Geno do. UCF celebrated pretty well when they beat Cincinnati last night.
Coco, I'm not buying it. UCF's bench antics were part of the same mindset from the last UCF game, when one of their players started trash talking Lou when they were also getting hammered by UConn. Lou's response, "Look at the score!" It's not even celebrating, but more of an "in your face" defiant response to getting your ass kicked. You show class whether you win or lose. In my mind, there are no exceptions.

Reaction Score
Well... as long as we are going by the those unwritten rules isn't there also one that says that UCONN should have pulled ALL the starters after going up by 20 with less than 1 Minutes Left. 4 Staretrs were in the game until the :46 remaining?

Actually typically, the losing team waves the white flag and pulls its starters first.

Reaction Score
One more thing on the UCF bench behavior... I think it indicates the immature losers mindset the players (at least those players) had. They never believed they could win this game. If they really believed it, the reaction would be disappointment, sadness and frustration for having failed at something really big and important. Hopefully a teaching moment later, but if that were going to happen it would have started right then and there.
To be clear, I don't expect anyone to "bend the knee" or "kiss the ring", just have a little class.

#ClassUp #ActLikeYouBelong
Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member