UCF Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While I rarely respond to "In my day, we did it.." comments, have to compliment the UConn team for holding onto their composure throughout the game. ONO and Walker in particular hit or held on every play. In my day, we typically retaliated in a variety of ways. Leading teams play through ugly games like this as did the Huskies.

The kind of game Batouly would have loved if she was healthy. UCF would have some bandages of their own.

Reaction Score
After Liv got the hit, I think he should have done a little BatCam and Adebayo and see what would have happened.... I think BatCam could have inflicted some pain of her own....

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
To me ONO's shot to the nose was just a matter of her having her nose in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Reminds me of the time they called a foul on Ben Gordon for hitting the defender in the elbow with his nose. :) He was in a mask for the next month or so.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to one of my favorite players, who else would Geno put in?
Anna Aubrey Kyla Meg CW can all play a few possessions for each other just to get someone off the court for a break, to be coached up or receive a foot on rear...whatever is necessary.

Reaction Score
I was hoping Geno would leave the 5 seniors in the game until UCONN fell behind. But it was a classy gesture nonetheless.
We are joining the Big East next season, right? One of the "rationales" is that the AAC just doesn't have competitive teams for UCONN. Has anyone looked at the members of the Big East in women's Basketball?

The best team is DePaul, whom we usually beat by 20-40 points. There is Seton Hall, Creighton, and ( sorry, I know this is disrespectful) a bunch of other no name teams.

Seriously, can someone please make the argument that we are moving to a conference where "in season" games will be more exciting and competitive?

I don't see a single university which represents more than another game against Memphis or Tulane.

Help me feel better. Please!

It just seems that we keep ordering the exact same breakfast.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
We are joining the Big East next season, right? One of the "rationales" is that the AAC just doesn't have competitive teams for UCONN. Has anyone looked at the members of the Big East in women's Basketball?

The best team is DePaul, whom we usually beat by 20-40 points. There is Seton Hall, Creighton, and ( sorry, I know this is disrespectful) a bunch of other no name teams.

Seriously, can someone please make the argument that we are moving to a conference where "in season" games will be more exciting and competitive?

I don't see a single university which represents more than another game against Memphis or Tulane.

Just wondering, how is this related to the UCF Post Game thread? And is posted 2 days after the game.
Probably would get more attention.
And before I am asked, the reason I was looking at this thread is because I just watched the replay and had a comment.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Here's one factoid, which I mentioned in another thread earlier. If UConn were in the Big East this year, the Big East would be #5 in the conference RPI ranking -- ahead of the ACC.

The AAC -- with UConn -- is #9 in the RPI this year. Subtract UConn, and the AAC falls to roughly #13.

The "new" Big East has been a bona fide multi-bid conference even without UConn. At least two Big East teams have made the NCAAT every year since realignment (and 3 have made it every year since 2016). The AAC, sans UConn, would've been a one-bid conference more often than not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's one factoid, which I mentioned in another thread earlier. If UConn were in the Big East this year, the Big East would be #5 in the conference RPI ranking -- ahead of the ACC.

The AAC -- with UConn -- is #9 in the RPI this year. Subtract UConn, and the AAC falls to roughly #13.

The "new" Big East has been a bona fide multi-bid conference even without UConn. At least two Big East teams have made the NCAAT every year since realignment (and 3 have made it every year since 2016). The AAC, sans UConn, would've been a one-bid conference more often than not.
Thanks, but that is not the overwhelming argument I was hoping for. In the last few years, USF and or UCF has qualified for the tournament, I think.

In any case, we are grasping at straws. The Big East may be "better" by some arcane mathematical formula, but what game are youooking forward to next season?

Saint Johns? Villanova? Marquette? Butler? Providence? Georgetown?

In women's basketball, how do they do against Memphis, USF, Cincinnati, Tulane? There isn't a decent team in the AAC or the Big East in the women's game.

We are just eating another tomato sandwich.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Thanks, but that is not the overwhelming argument I was hoping for. In the last few years, USF and or UCF has qualified for the tournament, I think.

In any case, we are grasping at straws. The Big East may be "better" by some arcane mathematical formula, but what game are youooking forward to next season?

In women's basketball, how do they do against Memphis, USF, Cincinnati, Tulane? There isn't a decent team in the AAC or the Big East in the women's game.

OK, here are all the other arguments for the NBE over the AAC:
  1. Restores natural rivalries with teams like Georgetown, Nova, St Johns, Seton Hall (think both MBB & WBB)
  2. Significantly lowers travel costs
  3. Puts UConn in most major eastern media markets: NY, Phil, DC, Chicago to name a few.
  4. Allows UConn to get out from under the money losing albatross of AAC football. The University now is in position to evaluate multiple options for the future of UConn FB.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure what you were expecting but the Big East is better. You're mocking Marquette while building up UCF?

The AAC is worse than the Big East. Regarding success-
three times USF made it to the 2nd rd.
And one time Tulane, Temple, and UCF made it to the NCAA's only to lose.
So-- AAC had 4 teams in NCAA (excluding UCONN) overall with only 1 going past rd 1 but never beyond that.
-----------
The Big East is better:
DePaul has gone to S16 twice of which USF never did. Has gone 3 other times beyond rd 1. USF got 3 more times to NCAA same number as DePaul but lost while DePaul won.
And from 2013 to now 3 different teams advanced once to rd 2 and Marquette did it twice.
No other team other than USF even did it once.
Further Seton Hall got to NCAA twice but lost but the point is
more teams make the NCAA Tourney from the Big East and more teams advance (excluding UCONN).
So-- B.E. had 6 teams in NCAA overall with only 1 going pass rd 2, while 4-5 teams went past rd 1 and only 1 never got past rd 1.
------------
UCONN lost in two games by last second shots.
Possibly just a little better conference has them in the finals with one or two more titles.
Potentially this conference can help prepare them for some of those one point games.
Let;s see if they can rather than complain so early.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you were expecting but the Big East is better. You're mocking Marquette while building up UCF?

The AAC is worse than the Big East. Regarding success-
three times USF made it to the 2nd rd.
And one time Tulane, Temple, and UCF made it to the NCAA's only to lose.
So-- AAC had 4 teams in NCAA (excluding UCONN) overall with only 1 going past rd 1 but never beyond that.
-----------
The Big East is better:
DePaul has gone to S16 twice of which USF never did. Has gone 3 other times beyond rd 1. USF got 3 more times to NCAA same number as DePaul but lost while DePaul won.
And from 2013 to now 3 different teams advanced once to rd 2 and Marquette did it twice.
No other team other than USF even did it once.
Further Seton Hall got to NCAA twice but lost but the point is
more teams make the NCAA Tourney from the Big East and more teams advance (excluding UCONN).
So-- B.E. had 6 teams in NCAA overall with only 1 going pass rd 2, while 4-5 teams went past rd 1 and only 1 never got past rd 1.
------------
UCONN lost in two games by last second shots.
Possibly just a little better conference has them in the finals with one or two more titles.
Potentially this conference can help prepare them for some of those one point games.
Let;s see if they can rather than complain so early.
Okay. I give up. It is a great move. Creighton will be a sell-out.

Reaction Score
OK, here are all the other arguments for the NBE over the AAC:
  1. Restores natural rivalries with teams like Georgetown, Nova, St Johns, Seton Hall (think both MBB & WBB)
  2. Significantly lowers travel costs
  3. Puts UConn in most major eastern media markets: NY, Phil, DC, Chicago to name a few.
  4. Allows UConn to get out from under the money losing albatross of AAC football. The University now is in position to evaluate multiple options for the future of UConn FB.
Dude;

1. Those old rivalries are really, really old. It is a great league ( and many rivalries) for men's BB; far less so the women.

2. I get the economic argument. Sadly, that was not my goal.

3. Not sure what number 3 signifies. So many of our best players come from California.

4. UCONN football would lose in the IVY league.

I will stop complaining. There is no point. There never is.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Dude;

1. Those old rivalries are really, really old. It is a great league ( and many rivalries) for men's BB; far less so the women.

2. I get the economic argument. Sadly, that was not my goal.

3. Not sure what number 3 signifies. So many of our best players come from California.

4. UCONN football would lose in the IVY league.

I will stop complaining. There is no point. There never is.
Unnnh, it wasn't done to improve our Women's basketball program. It was done for the Men's basketball program.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

And USF or UCF would've probably been the only AAC team in the tournament in most of those years, with no UConn in the picture. Two minus one equals one. That's the way one-bid leagues work.

With all due respect, your issues in this thread seem more emotional or psychological than about facts or data. So, I'll do my best to avoid confusing the matter with facts.

Far be it from me to tell you what to get excited about. Millions of people get excited about golf and yoga, but I find both of them excruciatingly boring. Perception is everything.

If it's about quality of play, then clearly the Big East is a better conference than the AAC. Is it the Pac-12? Obviously not. But there is in fact a major qualitative difference between teams in the 20-60 range and teams in the 100-200 range. I'll refrain from citing facts or data because you don't like those, but just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's not a step up.

Other conferences aren't all they're cracked up to be either. You think Baylor fans get thrilled about playing Kansas and Kansas State twice every year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And USF or UCF would've probably been the only AAC team in the tournament in most of those years, with no UConn in the picture. Two minus one equals one. That's the way one-bid leagues work.

With all due respect, your issues in this thread seem more emotional or psychological than about facts or data. So, I'll do my best to avoid confusing the matter with facts.

Far be it from me to tell you what to get excited about. Millions of people get excited about golf and yoga, but I find both of them excruciatingly boring. Perception is everything.

If it's about quality of play, then clearly the Big East is a better conference than the AAC. Is it the Pac-12? Obviously not. But there is in fact a major qualitative difference between teams in the 20-60 range and teams in the 100-200 range. I'll refrain from citing facts or data because you don't like those, but just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's not a step up.

Other conferences aren't all they're cracked up to be either. You think Baylor fans get thrilled about playing Kansas and Kansas State twice every year?
Thanks, Plebe.

Reaction Score
Okay. I give up. It is a great move. Creighton will be a sell-out.

Cool.
Whatever rocks your boat.
Your comment of the Creighton sell-out" makes about as much sense as your whining comparison between the Big East and the AAC.

Reaction Score
Cool.
Whatever rocks your boat.
Your comment of the Creighton sell-out" makes about as much sense as your whining comparison between the Big East and the AAC.
It is really difficult to communicate with people who take everything literally.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please start a new thread with a more descriptive subject line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads