UCF Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Christyn is not going to get many opportunities to drive against a team that plays zone, which UCF did for the entire game. But against a zone she has to do a better job knocking down perimeter shots.
Against the zone her position to start out with is essentially the right wing/corner. Meg is either at the high post or 2 guard position. CW has a great drive move and then pure pull up jumper ( a shot Meg needs to get this summer) but ,as you point out, against the zone that move usually gets taken away. Of all the starters, CW moves the least on offense with Meg surprisingly second although she has been improving lately with the cut to the basket and layup off of the Liv feed to start the second half being an example of that improvement. As Kara Wolters pointed out in the post game, CW didn't have one rebound. Her defense I thought was good but she is not engaged enough in the rest of the game. Shooting slumps end, but if she doesn't move on offense she won't get the variety of offensive opportunities that she can score easily with.

Reaction Score
I looked at the box scores of prior UCF games and they had fewer fouls in almost all of them. UConn 16 - UCF 13; USF 28 - UCF 16; Cinci 23- UCF 12; UCF 18 - Houston 17; TLSA 24 - UCF 20; SMU 19 - UCF 16; Tem 13 - UCF 11. Got tired of checking. With the way UCF plays, how do these numbers make sense?

Reaction Score
Future AA?!! On what basis? Virtually every two guard she has played against this year has played better. No one in the history of college basketball has become an All-American with the kind of FG, 3-point and FT percentages she has so far. Right now, she will be lucky to start on next year’s team; Westbrook didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench.
Besides being a focus of the defense, I think the problem with her is that she is a two guard playing in the three position this year and it just doesn't fit her skill set well. Meg is a natural three but had to play the four this year but is both stronger and 3 inches taller than CW so that transition has not been as difficult such as in rebounding which she really worked on. Yes, CW is in a shooting funk but even if she gets hot this season, she still has to contribute all the other things her position requires.

Reaction Score
I'm of the belief that every foul should be called. This stupid strategy of "well they can't call 'em all" is how we got here, and it just escalates until Liv gets her nose broken or the refs finally start calling them in the waning minutes of a close game and then everyone complains about the consistency of the officiating. Physical play is a cheap way of leveling the playing field and it only happens because the refs allow it. Sure it's been going on for years, but it doesn't make it right. The rules are the rules. We're either going to follow them or we're not.
Games get physical in all types of ways. Sometimes you have players who don't know there own strength( Stacey Hansmeyer ). Players who love the physicality( Nurse, Doty, Elliott and Pattyson)or the players that excelled playing both ways which Uconn had a lot of! They were tougher than the other team by boxing out hard,winning 50/50 balls and just outhustling them the whole game! Liv is not the first player to get a broken nose and won't be the last either. This team has shown hardly any type of toughness this year especially in the games they lost this year!

Reaction Score
Besides being a focus of the defense, I think the problem with her is that she is a two guard playing in the three position this year and it just doesn't fit her skill set well. Meg is a natural three but had to play the four this year but is both stronger and 3 inches taller than CW so that transition has not been as difficult such as in rebounding which she really worked on. Yes, CW is in a shooting funk but even if she gets hot this season, she still has to contribute all the other things her position requires.
I am not arguing.

But how are you distinguishing between the 2 vs 3? And I assume you're implying AM is the 2?

If so, what is it that you think AM is doing at the 2 that is taking away from CW's effectiveness? And do you think they can interchange? How would that hurt AM going from 2 to 3? I've always thought of AM as the 3 and CW as the 2.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCF game:
  • Senior Day is always bittersweet. It was great to see all 5 seniors start. What was even better was to see that group of seniors come out and battle a tough UCF team, holding them scoreless before the cavalry arrived. I got a little emotional when Touly took that charging foul and then shouted in exhilaration.
  • The cavalry was a little sluggish on offense, which I sort of expected. But UConn’s defense continued to be stifling, holding an opponent to single digits for the 4th straight qtr with only 4 pts.
  • Against an active zone defense like UCF’s, the Huskies really need Liv on the floor. She makes attacking the zone much easier with her presence in the paint. While she didn’t score much in the 3rd qtr, the court opened up for UConn to knock down a bunch of 3’s.
  • Megan really stepped up today with a solid all-around effort, and Anna really picked it up in the 2nd half with a number of big baskets.
  • I’m all for the refs letting the teams “play,” but these games against UCF are just flat-out ugly. The Knights bang you with their bodies, slap you with their hands and throw an occasional elbow to your face, as Liv discovered, with a possible broken nose. UCF is increasingly pushing the envelope from playing physical to dangerous play. The AAC refs need to take control of these games. An ejection or two might send an appropriate message to UCF’s players as well as Coach Abe.
I was hoping Geno would leave the 5 seniors in the game until UCONN fell behind. But it was a classy gesture nonetheless.

Reaction Score
UCF plays hard in the extreme but clean. Good tuneup for WNBA games, which are likewise rough but clean.

Reaction Score
I'm distinguishing the positions on the basis of the traditional location of the players. CW is rarely at the top of the key or even on the foul line extended. She is almost always set up against the zone in between the foul line extended and the corner. I don't think Anna's effectiveness has taken away from CW at all. Anna didn't score until the second half and only took two more shots than CW but had 14 more points. She also had 5 boards a block and a steal. CW had none of each. Geno wants Anna handling the ball and initiating because she is a great passer even though she has been very turnover prone her first year. She is also 6'1" and can see over the top of the zone. She also rebounds and starts the break well off the dribble. She is closer to a 2 than CW because of these factors. The 2 is also usually the first player to receive the initiating pass from the PG and that is rare for CW. Perhaps these traditional classifications do not fit as well as they used to, but I think you and I are talking about something a lot bigger, such as why we have had such problems against the bigger teams, why we start so slowly offensively and why the #1 high school player in the country two years ago has become almost a non factor in our games. CW herself has said that she is seeing a lot of double teams this year. The players doing that are the ones near her and guarding her and invariably bigger because of her location on the court.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCF game:
  • Senior Day is always bittersweet. It was great to see all 5 seniors start. What was even better was to see that group of seniors come out and battle a tough UCF team, holding them scoreless before the cavalry arrived. I got a little emotional when Touly took that charging foul and then shouted in exhilaration.
  • The cavalry was a little sluggish on offense, which I sort of expected. But UConn’s defense continued to be stifling, holding an opponent to single digits for the 4th straight qtr with only 4 pts.
  • Against an active zone defense like UCF’s, the Huskies really need Liv on the floor. She makes attacking the zone much easier with her presence in the paint. While she didn’t score much in the 3rd qtr, the court opened up for UConn to knock down a bunch of 3’s.
  • Megan really stepped up today with a solid all-around effort, and Anna really picked it up in the 2nd half with a number of big baskets.
  • I’m all for the refs letting the teams “play,” but these games against UCF are just flat-out ugly. The Knights bang you with their bodies, slap you with their hands and throw an occasional elbow to your face, as Liv discovered, with a possible broken nose. UCF is increasingly pushing the envelope from playing physical to dangerous play. The AAC refs need to take control of these games. An ejection or two might send an appropriate message to UCF’s players as well as Coach Abe.
I admire teams that play tuff defense but when does it verge on poor sportsmanship?

Reaction Score
Future AA?!! On what basis? Virtually every two guard she has played against this year has played better. No one in the history of college basketball has become an All-American with the kind of FG, 3-point and FT percentages she has so far. Right now, she will be lucky to start on next year’s team; Westbrook didn’t transfer here to sit on the bench.
CW is 44% from the field, 31% from 3pt range and 68% from the "charity stripe" for the season. She needs a big Megan- type off season.

Reaction Score
Grind it out type of game. UCF plays good defense but the mugging inside all game was tough to watch. I thought Liv played aggressive and is really playing with confidence. AM came through in second half and did hit some huge shots for us. Meg was solid and had a quiet double double. CD was good but still a little off on her shots. The worry now is CW. We are very close to March and she does not look like someone who can be counted on to score consistently when open. This is worrisome because that takes away so much momentum when you find the open CW and she can’t hit the open shot. My hope is that something will click but I’m quite worried. She has at the moment gone from the 2nd best scorer at the beginning of the season to now probably the 4th best or 5th best player in the lineup. AM is starting to overtake her because she is able to hit open shots. CW NEEDS To drive and pull up mid range and more strong takes to the basket. Her outside shot is off right now.

Reaction Score
CW is 44% from the field, 31% from 3pt range and 68% from the "charity stripe" for the season. She needs a big Megan- type off season.

Those are not good numbers considering how bad our competition is. The numbers are even worse against the 3 elite teams we played. Her shooting form is way off from the perimeter, and she has no "feel" on how to drive or take the mid-range jumper. Her 1st step seems slower this year and she's having trouble beating her defender. Everything seems "off-balance" for her. Worst, she doesnt bring consistent energy on the floor, like she showed bursts of last year.

Geno has few options though - I dont think starting Aubrey and bring CW off the bench will do the team any good at this point.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I just watched the game. After reading much (not all) of this thread I expected a real thugfest - games with Rutgers and Syracuse come to mind - but what I saw was a physical game and the only really chippy play that I saw was the foul against Dangerfield in the 4th. To me ONO's shot to the nose was just a matter of her having her nose in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Reaction Score
I'm distinguishing the positions on the basis of the traditional location of the players. CW is rarely at the top of the key or even on the foul line extended. She is almost always set up against the zone in between the foul line extended and the corner. I don't think Anna's effectiveness has taken away from CW at all. Anna didn't score until the second half and only took two more shots than CW but had 14 more points. She also had 5 boards a block and a steal. CW had none of each. Geno wants Anna handling the ball and initiating because she is a great passer even though she has been very turnover prone her first year. She is also 6'1" and can see over the top of the zone. She also rebounds and starts the break well off the dribble. She is closer to a 2 than CW because of these factors. The 2 is also usually the first player to receive the initiating pass from the PG and that is rare for CW. Perhaps these traditional classifications do not fit as well as they used to, but I think you and I are talking about something a lot bigger, such as why we have had such problems against the bigger teams, why we start so slowly offensively and why the #1 high school player in the country two years ago has become almost a non factor in our games. CW herself has said that she is seeing a lot of double teams this year. The players doing that are the ones near her and guarding her and invariably bigger because of her location on the court.

gotcha. I understand. It's not important but you said the below in bold. I took that for "AM" affecting CW because as you indicated CW is playing out of position. If CW is playing out of position in favor of AM, I took that for that it must mean AM is affecting CW. negatively. But your bigger point issue is correct. Not important about the bold comments and my point about who is affecting positions etc. . Thanks!!

I think the problem with her is that she is a two guard playing in the three position this year and it just doesn't fit her skill set well.

Reaction Score
Playing the three?! Who do you think is the two guard?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just watched the game. After reading much (not all) of this thread I expected a real thugfest - games with Rutgers and Syracuse come to mind - but what I saw was a physical game and the only really chippy play that I saw was the foul against Dangerfield in the 4th. To me ONO's shot to the nose was just a matter of her having her nose in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yes! Clearly it was Liv’s fault when the UCF player flung her elbow above her shoulder into Liv’s nose, and then the refs compounded Liv’s mistake by calling a flagrant foul on the UCF kid.......:rolleyes:

For the record: Rule: A flagrant foul is assessed for excessive elbows, swinging above the shoulders.

Reaction Score
I was courtside. IMO, your impression is totally inaccurate. On TV, you don’t “hear” the banging off the ball or see the elbows thrown to the head region.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Did you notice Kim Better (ch'ip#1) and Tierney Lawlor (ch'ip#11) behind the bench? Bookends ~20 years apart. Always good to see the alums in attendance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Positions aside, Williams play really all year has not passed the eye test but we are fans and have incomplete “data” if you will. The coaches assessment may, and would appear to be, much different based on her court time. It is not like Auriemma has not shown through the years he will offer the bench to any player with whom he is dissatisfied.

Reaction Score
I looked at the box scores of prior UCF games and they had fewer fouls in almost all of them. UConn 16 - UCF 13; USF 28 - UCF 16; Cinci 23- UCF 12; UCF 18 - Houston 17; TLSA 24 - UCF 20; SMU 19 - UCF 16; Tem 13 - UCF 11. Got tired of checking. With the way UCF plays, how do these numbers make sense?

More than likely the Refs don't see UCF's initial foul. They only see the other teams retaliatory foul.

Reaction Score
Williams played 38 minutes today, made 1-6 shots, had 2 assists, and no rebounds. Pretty much seemed satisfied to play D, which she did, and give the ball up almost as soon as she touched it. Kinda strange but the coaches must be satisfied as she seldom comes out of any game.
With all due respect to one of my favorite players, who else would Geno put in?

Reaction Score
You never seen games like that? You ever play in games like that? It's been part of basketball for years! Where you been?
While I rarely respond to "In my day, we did it.." comments, have to compliment the UConn team for holding onto their composure throughout the game. ONO and Walker in particular hit or held on every play. In my day, we typically retaliated in a variety of ways. Leading teams play through ugly games like this as did the Huskies.

Reaction Score
While I rarely respond to "In my day, we did it.." comments, have to compliment the UConn team for holding onto their composure throughout the game. ONO and Walker in particular hit or held on every play. In my day, we typically retaliated in a variety of ways. Leading teams play through ugly games like this as did the Huskies.
It wasn't an in my day answer! Still involved with the game. My reason for the question is. If you haven't played basketball How do you know what really happens in a physical game and yes the girl that did that to Olivia would have ended up on her butt legally with just a hard foul! In the past if that happened a teammate would have gotten in that girls face! I remember Rene going into the Rutgers huddle because of a foul on Maya and confronting her friend on their team! ( I see the player but the name I don't) This Huskie team does not have this. Batouly might have filled that role but the injuries she has had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69