UCF Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCF game:
  • Senior Day is always bittersweet. It was great to see all 5 seniors start. What was even better was to see that group of seniors come out and battle a tough UCF team, holding them scoreless before the cavalry arrived. I got a little emotional when Touly took that charging foul and then shouted in exhilaration.
  • The cavalry was a little sluggish on offense, which I sort of expected. But UConn’s defense continued to be stifling, holding an opponent to single digits for the 4th straight qtr with only 4 pts.
  • Against an active zone defense like UCF’s, the Huskies really need Liv on the floor. She makes attacking the zone much easier with her presence in the paint. While she didn’t score much in the 3rd qtr, the court opened up for UConn to knock down a bunch of 3’s.
  • Megan really stepped up today with a solid all-around effort, and Anna really picked it up in the 2nd half with a number of big baskets.
  • I’m all for the refs letting the teams “play,” but these games against UCF are just flat-out ugly. The Knights bang you with their bodies, slap you with their hands and throw an occasional elbow to your face, as Liv discovered, with a possible broken nose. UCF is increasingly pushing the envelope from playing physical to dangerous play. The AAC refs need to take control of these games. An ejection or two might send an appropriate message to UCF’s players as well as Coach Abe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • Senior Day is always bittersweet. It was great to see all 5 seniors start. What was even better was to see that group of seniors come out and battle a tough UCF team, holding them scoreless before the cavalry arrived. I got a little emotional when Touly took that charging foul and then shouted in exhilaration.
  • The cavalry was a little sluggish on offense, which I sort of expected. But UConn’s defense continued to be stifling, holding an opponent to single digits for the 4th straight qtr with only 4 pts.
  • Against an active zone defense like UCF’s, the Huskies really need Liv on the floor. She makes attacking the zone much easier with her presence in the paint. While she didn’t score much in the 3rd qtr, the court opened up for UConn to knock down a bunch of 3’s.
  • Megan really stepped up today with a solid all-around effort, and Anna really picked it up in the 2nd half with a number of big baskets.
  • I’m all for the refs letting the teams “play,” but these games against UCF are just flat-out ugly. The Knights bang you with their bodies, slap you with their hands and throw an occasional elbow to your face, as Liv discovered, with a possible broken nose. UCF is increasingly pushing the envelope from playing physical to dangerous play. The AAC refs need to take control of these games. An ejection or two might send an appropriate message to UCF’s players as well as Coach Abe.

The refs know better but their reply would be that if they called all the physical stuff UCF would run out of players. IMO that's a bogus excuse. Maybe if 4 UCF players fouled out their coach would be forced to change things. These refs are hired by the conference and I think that they know they won't be doing Big East games and UCF will have some say in whether or not they work next year in the AAC.

Maybe the AAC should add womens football so these frustrated linebackers can play a sport better suited to their skills?

Reaction Score
Offense continues to struggle. I guess it is what it is. Defense wasn’t that great in 4th quarter either. Refs sucked. Plain and simple. Something needs to be done. Nothing ever happens though.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1582402456523.png

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Geno is not going to lose any sleep over the fact he may only have to face UCF one more time. The Knights defend knowing that everything is not going to be called.

Reaction Score
Liv is really starting to bang back against physical play and scoring by going up strong and finishing. Anna scored with pullup and a drive to the hoop. She had two more easy pull-ups but looked to pass out to the 3 point shot. It's very unselfish play but she needs to have confidence and shoot the shots in the lane. She has passed up way too many in past games as well. Defense will get us to the final 4 and hopefully we can hit some shots when we get there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Liv is really starting to bang back against physical play and scoring by going up strong and finishing. Anna scored with pull up and a drive to the hoop. She had two more easy pull-ups but looked to pass out to the 3 point shot. It's very unselfish play but she needs to have confidence and shoot the shots in the lane. She has passed up way too many in past games as well. Defense will get us to the final 4 and hopefully we can hit some shots when we get there.

I anticipate Olivia will make the same "junior" leap that Megan did. I think you're going to like what you see. :)
I'd like to see a little more finesse and consistency from her (under the basket) as we saw from USF's Kaba (14/12) today.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kinda like playing Rutgers in the BE. Maybe it has to do with being nicknamed Knights.
I was thinking of the Rutgers games way back when, but in all honesty, I don't remember Rutgers taking so many swings at players heads with their hands and elbows. This really started a few years ago and continued through last year when every time Lou was even thinking about shooting the ball, a UCF player hit her in the face.

There is no justifiable excuse for a player to catch the ball in the low blocks and then violently swing their elbows upward towards a defenders head. There is no justifiable excuse for a defender who's beaten on a fast break to rake down with both hands across a player's face. What exactly is Coach Abe teaching these kids in practice?

Reaction Score
Great game by Megan Walker. Steady game by Crystal and Anna. Our lack of big bodies showed again today. Liv took a beating inside today, and when she went out, it showed (Aubrey cannot be expected to go up against someone the size of Messeny Kaba. AG is a wing player going up against a true big center. Kyla had done positive moments but is not as quick a foot to be able to handle Kaba). CW continues to be in her offensive funk. She has to get her confidence back for us to go far in the Tournament.

Reaction Score
Liv is really starting to bang back against physical play and scoring by going up strong and finishing. Anna scored with pullup and a drive to the hoop. She had two more easy pull-ups but looked to pass out to the 3 point shot. It's very unselfish play but she needs to have confidence and shoot the shots in the lane. She has passed up way too many in past games as well. Defense will get us to the final 4 and hopefully we can hit some shots when we get there.
Someone said Anna didn’t have a pull-up and I recalled her hitting pull-ups when she tried. She could shoot more but she is pass oriented, either because that is her freshman mindset or coach ordered. Have you noticed she is more likely to shoot when her teammates are out or struggling? Plus she was once again open several times and ignored, a couple of times by ten feet. I do think she could work herself free a bit more.

Is Aubrey holding the ball too low under the basket allowing her lay-ups to be blocked? I do wonder why with her speed there aren’t more designed plays with her cutting to basket.

Meg had mvp game and Liv played extremely well before nose job.

Reaction Score
Today AM stepped up and AG did little. Next game it can swing the other way. Kind of funny how they compliment each other in a strange way. If there is a style that bothers AM it seems AG can step up and vice-versa (if not competing against an elite team.).

But I see yet again AG and Liv offensively are not a compliment to one-another though today I thought there was better passing when they played together.

Anyhow, some games AG's athleticism will impact the game, other times AM's skill will impact the game.

Reaction Score
Hey,....it's a win. Nothing fancy or splashy about this but a win. At times, there was some good ball movement that ended up with a 3 being made and a couple of nice passes for driving 2's. Gets them the AAC championship, I guess. Finish the season, win the AAC Tournament and at least their record will be unbroken for their tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom