UCF Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
They seem to have forgotten, or at least not be able to apply, the third directive. (1)play hard (2) play smart (3) HAVE FUN! The entire team, possible exception of Dangerfield, seems to be in constant fear of making a mistake, which, of course, leads to making mistakes; missed shots, bad passes, travels. Of course, it is much easier to have fun when the shots are falling, so it seems to be a case of negative reinforcement. The worse they play the less fun it is and the less fun it is the worse they play. Hopefully this will reverse itself. And at that, they are 15-1, which ain't chopped liver or ND.

Reaction Score
This is a weird spot for it, but would the projected starting lineup for UCONN next year be:

Bueckers
Westbrook
Williams (edit)
Walker
Nelson-Ododa?
Unless Liv beefs up post will continue to be weakest link, not fifth player. I wouldn’t be so quick to anoint Westbrook or Bueckers (yes, I know, heresy, but she will be new to college game at highest level, though I suspect she has the goods to start). Anna, the sophomore, might surprise everyone, given I have questions about Westbrook and Bueckers’ defense, but if not a starter, probably our sixth. Plus we really don’t know how good the other incoming recruits are. Given that new talent, I expect Christyn to be pushed and Megan, if she returns, told that her head can swivel and find all the players on the court. Biggest problem will still be post, as our main competition is stacked at that position.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think the Baylor game changed how they saw themselves. It's almost like now they're playing every game thinking that they're playing the last six minutes of the Baylor game and nothing can or will go right.

With that being said, I envision Christyn coming out of this shooting slump pretty soon. She's going to have a huge game (hopefully against Tennessee), and combining that with the progress she's made in other aspects of the game will be a step towards putting the team back on track.

Liv needs to have a game where she comes out like gangbusters in the first five minutes because those opening minutes dictate the momentum that she carries through the rest of the game. There are more Oklahomas than Baylors out there, and she just needs to remember to keep the ball up and not everyone is Lauren Cox.

Someone has shot holes in the boat and Megan and Crystal are doing their best to plug them up, but they only have so many fingers. Everyone else just needs to remember they have fingers.

Even with this UConn team, losing has little to do with talent and a lot to do with them believing they they're talented enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
:confused:

Geno in the half time on court interview basically says he does not understand why the team is struggling so much offensively. :confused:
Such a brilliant response

Reaction Score
After watching the six underclassmen play tonight, why would you ever predict a return to dominance? Freshmen don’t dominate; even Taurasi couldn’t do that.
Next year, the current players will be older and more experienced. They will have only lost Crystal and Kyla. Megan will be a senior. Christyn will be a junior. Olivia will be too. All of them will have grown. So if several of these new freshmen can contribute just a bit, along with Anna and Aubrey, they will be a formidable team. They are already, this year, one of the top teams in the country, although it seems that many lose track of that fact.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Next season, the only players, based on reports from BYers who have watched them play, only Edwards and Bueckers will be UConn ready. Piath, Muhl, and McLean won't be D1 ready for a while. Westbrook will be UConn ready. However, the personalities will have to mesh, so there is no guarantee the team will be as strong as some think. This thing about Megan not passing to certain open teammates may be a sign of discontent. The way she has been playing, she should not be reluctant to do whatever is necessary to include all of her teammates because their being in the game is a result of a decision made by the coaches. Also, one of the problems with this team and next season's is that not one of the players have played on a team with teammates that have won a NC. It has been some time since that has happened. So, outside of coaches, who so they look to for advice in tough situations?

Reaction Score
Far too much dribbling against a zone defense. You beat a zone with passing, sometimes using the floor for a pass doesn’t hurt, sometimes a head or ball fake goes a long way to get a defender off stride and create a passing lane. I have to think Gene has a drill or two which helps a kid get out of a trap when two or more defenders hound the ballhandler?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Two questions for those at game:
-Anna appeared to be wide open numerous times and didn't get a pass. Any thoughts why?
-Was Geno's body language on the bench as horrendous as it appeared on TV? Constant negative expressions, yelling, etc. Yes, I know team played poorly, he is a HOF coach, etc. but negative motivation does not work for all and seems counterproductive with this team.
I have thought for some time that Megan will not pass to an open Anna or Kyla. I this trend before, but thought it was inconsequential. On Thursday it was most noticeable.

Yup Geno looked pretty rough to me. Even his body language sitting down ans slouching like he was disgusted to be there.

Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers will dominate from the first moment she steps on the court....................she will be a freshman in name only as she could have played major minutes for UConn two years ago......................can't speak for the rest of the newbies..............Westbrook while certainly not a freshman will certainly add elite scoring and athleticism adding to next year's hopeful improvement..............

But they still will not have a powerful post presence. It's ONO again, and a new recruit who is not highly rated. If she turns out to be a sleeper, great. But we'll probably be vulnerable in the front court yet again next year.

Reaction Score
This is a weird spot for it, but would the projected starting lineup for UCONN next year be:

Bueckers
Westbrook
Williams (edit)
Walker
Nelson-Ododa?

But will ONO be better? And how well will Westbrook's surgically repaired knee hold up? Big question marks.

Reaction Score
I have thought for some time that Megan will not pass to an open Anna or Kyla. I this trend before, but thought it was inconsequential. On Thursday it was most noticeable.

Yup Geno looked pretty rough to me. Even his body language sitting down ans slouching like he was disgusted to be there.
When things aren't going well he's never had much composure plus he's probably gotten somewhat spoiled by having veteran teams for quite a while. Add in the inevitable 65 year old lack of patience and this is what you get.

Reaction Score
Confusion & lack of confidence often leads to perceived "lack of hustle". Thats what I'm seeing now on the offensive side. From Geno's comments, it seems like they are getting it in practice, but it wont translate to in game performance. Similar to a FT shooter who can hit them in practice, but cant make them in real games.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Paige will bring us that "swagger" that she is showing now in HS. This team has none of that. CW had it once as a freshman, and its all but disappeared. Geno needs to change the culture.

Reaction Score
But they still will not have a powerful post presence. It's ONO again, and a new recruit who is not highly rated. If she turns out to be a sleeper, great. But we'll probably be vulnerable in the front court yet again next year.

true but I expect Bueckers will totally change the nature of the UConn offense and ONO should be even better then she is right now.........also I'm not writing off the freshmen like Mclean who is considered by ESPN the best athlete in the 2020 class and a monster on the boards although only 5'11" and 6'2"Aaliyah Edwards who will add much needed athleticism, and a really good mid range game

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Next year, the current players will be older and more experienced. They will have only lost Crystal and Kyla. ....
good golly .... molly forgot already!!!

so sad.

but, it gives me a chance to note that sometime during the horror and desperation we were experiencing this past week, mary bent got a few minutes on the court -- not sure when and she didn't get many -- and during that time she brought the fire and intensity we expect to see from a husky. she hustled and she tried to make things happen. in fact, it kind of reminded me of a kelly faris effort. i don't suppose many others others noticed. i think she deserves kudos, nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Once official practice started all I heard was how great Anna and Aubrey looked. They were going to be difference makers. Neither has lived up to the hype so far. Anna can’t get her feet set and stop traveling. Aubrey runs around on both offense and defense like a chicken with its head cut off. I know both are young with plenty of upside but thus far I would neither has lived up to expectations set for them.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Expectations are high for Paige to make big contributions next year, and for good reason. But I think Edwards could end up being a very important piece as well — if not right away, then by tournament time.

She’s already had high level experience on the CDN national team and will have more this coming summer. And, she fills hole we’ve had for awhile. If she were “just” another guard, she’d have to take a number. But at 6’2 - 6’3” with excellent athleticism and solid all-around skills, she’ll be at the head of the line when we need a true 4.

(She has quick feet; this should help her game translate to the upper-level D1 game.)

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
good golly .... molly forgot already!!!

so sad.

but, it gives me a chance to note that sometime during the horror and desperation we were experiencing this past week, mary bent got a few minutes on the court -- not sure when and she didn't get many -- and during that time she brought the fire and intensity we expect to see from a husky. she hustled and she tried to make things happen. in fact, it kind of reminded me of a kelly faris effort. i don't suppose many others others noticed. i think she deserves kudos, nonetheless.
Maybe you got auto corrected, because you are referring to Molly Bent I believe.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Maybe you got auto corrected, because you are referring to Molly Bent I believe.

Fun fact: Molly’s given name really is Mary, but her brother kept calling her Molly — like the sister on Toy Story.

I feel like I learned that in an SNY highlight.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Fun fact: Molly’s given name really is Mary, but her brother kept calling her Molly — like the sister on Toy Story.

I feel like I learned that in an SNY highlight.
Wow, the stuff you learn reading the boneyard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom